Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,159 members, 7,821,937 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa (2503 Views)

Photos: Could This Be The Skeleton Of A Giant? / ‘Islamic State In West Africa': Boko Haram Renames Itself / Longest Flyover In West Africa (kano state), Named After OBASANJO- Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by TamzyTamudo: 5:29pm On Aug 20, 2014
Lordlexyy: At times you can't help but weep and pray silently for some tribalists in this country to be healed or redeemed from mediocrity or complacent. When you look at pictures like this of countries less resourcefully endowed than us, you begin to wonder the rationale behind our outburst. We all know China, Malaysia and even singapore or Brazil started yet, these countries are commanding respect every where in medicine, artechture, technology and what a few. But here, some kilometres of roads are enough to scream Gej till 2019 or eko ni baje o mantra despite the huge revenue accrued to our oil. We don't behave seriously. We have proven we are not tired of our suffering and smile hypocrisy as late Fela puts it. Excuses has become a way of life among certain people. Put the development here side by side with what is obtainable in other countries and you will see how much of a laughing stock we are. There is hope, but not until we drop this regionalism and ethnicity style of politics. Op, i duff my hat for you.
hold it there u racist,are u not the one that said the igbos aren't worthy of the deputy governors sit in lagos? deep down in you,you know the igbos deserves more playing role in the lagos polity since they are already in the economy but the level of racism in you won't allow you,yet you are here preaching like a true patriot. Now listen Nigeria will make it when other regions accept igbos as their own and stop hating them. so sorry poster never wanted to derail ur marvelous thread cuz I know they and he must reply.

1 Like

Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Lordlexyy: 7:44pm On Aug 20, 2014
TamzyTamudo: hold it there u racist,are u not the one that said the igbos aren't worthy of the deputy governors sit in Lagos? deep down in you,you know the igbos deserves more playing role in the lagos polity since they are already in the economy but the level of racism in you won't allow you,yet you are here preaching like a true patriot. Now listen Nigeria will make it when other regions accept igbos as their own and stop hating them. so sorry poster never wanted to derail ur marvelous thread cuz I know they and he must reply.
Tamudo, is obvious you have been hunting to discredit me for correcting your racist stance. To clear every doubt, I will appreciate it if you post any comment of mine where i condemned the appointment of an igbo man as the lagos state deputy governor. Until then, i will consider you a big liar who goes about peddling lies and sowing seeds of discord for cheap political gain. I have never for any reason voice an objection to that effect and to call me a racist, shows how kettle easily call pot black.

1 Like

Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Nobody: 9:14pm On Aug 20, 2014
oduastates: This post makes no sense .
Some of you don't read beyond the cramming you do at school.
Go and read the first few chapters of the book " japan imperial conspiracy" to understand the mindset and philosophy of potential/aspiring super economic powers.
Comparing Nigeria to America is a joke .
Nigeria is approximately the size of California and they still have 49 other state.
The arrogance and confidence a typical American exudes is part of this mindset.
Lagos budget is smaller than the budget of NY fire service......

Nigeria is much bigger than you think it is, with much more resources than you think it has. Africa as a whole should be the commanding power of the world, and Nigeria should be the commanding force of Africa; it's time we start behaving like it. Our continent has been subconciously relegated as the last in the mindset of the world, and the effects are just damn silly sometimes. For example, below is Africa's true size, but for conveniece and due to he fact that the true shapes of a continent are difficult to project on a sphere, everyone accepts Mercator's distorted representation of the sizes of world power countries.

Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by mikolo80: 9:48pm On Aug 20, 2014
MOBJECTIVE: I DID THIS AS MY OWN EFFORT TO #SAY NO TO TRIBALISM

IF Nairaland can have one day,just one day, when everyone has it in their minds not to be tribal, i think that'll be awesome.

APOLOGIES

Forgive me for the irony though, as my post is quite condescending and tribal/discriminatory itself, but i simply wanted to point out that we all have our difficulties to face in our own regions, and we should start looking past being better than our neighbours, to being the best we can be. Nigeria, in her miserable sate has the largest economy in Africa, our potential surpasses that of a country like Japan and in the future, even the U.S.A; we need to start behaving like it.
sorry major correction,we don't think we're better than our brothers,we believe they are worse than us.and no that tribal free day will never come. Instead 1million ppl who dont have time for tribalism need to form a seriou party/corporation and solve our problems without expecting any thanks in return cos man is simply not rational

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by reedonne: 9:58pm On Aug 20, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

Nigeria is much bigger than you think it is, with much more resources than you think it has. Africa as a whole should be the commanding power of the world, and Nigeria should be the commanding force of Africa; it's time we start behaving like it. Our continent has been subconciously relegated as the last in the mindset of the world, and the effects are just damn silly sometimes. For example, below is Africa's true size, but for conveniece and due to he fact that the true shapes of a continent are difficult to project on a sphere, everyone accepts Mercator's distorted representation of the sizes of world power countries.
Landmass or resource doesnt make a country great, it is the intellectual capacity of its citizen that does.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Nobody: 10:02pm On Aug 20, 2014
reedonne:
Landmass or resource doesnt make a country great, it is the intellectual capacity of its citizen that does.

reason why i'm saying: we should start behaving like the people who we aspire to be. what you mean by intellectual capacity is what some people call soft power, and what i understand in this context as the intangible sense of self worth, greatness, or unity a people or nation has which propels them to achieve extraordinary feats. I think Nigerians have this-we simply have to start behaving like people who do. for e.g there was no discussion in the recently concluded national conference about the things that make a great people: Language, culture, national ideals, human capital, greatness of time past..all the little things that make you picture a japanese: clean, upright, hardworking, dilligent or German: intelligent, perfectionist, and think, wow, these people are amazing. we need to choose those minor things we admire, and all collectively practise them.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 20, 2014
mikolo80: sorry major correction,we don't think we're better than our brothers,we believe they are worse than us.and no that tribal free day will never come. Instead 1million ppl who dont have time for tribalism need to form a seriou party/corporation and solve our problems without expecting any thanks in return cos man is simply not rational

Alright, great opinion. however your man is not rational idea doesn't apply to just us. it applies to all men, but some races/tribes don't feel the need to separate themselves into groups of who's tribal/racist or who's not.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by mikolo80: 10:10pm On Aug 20, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

Alright, great opinion. however your man is not rational idea doesn't apply to just us. it applies to all men, but some races/tribes don't feel the need to separate themselves into groups of who's tribal/racist or who's not.
everyman picks a team once resources become scarce.and thanks for the praise.hope i can try to implement once i get a job
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by ibedun: 10:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
Mr Goody 2 shoes.

We are not country lai lai. The oil is what is binding us together (false security) and the fear of the unknown.

I am a Yoruba man and that is where it should stop. Nigeria should have remained a confederation of the regional states until that Igbo coup and Decree 33 by that Igbo man changed everything.

Igbo's quest for deputy governor pf Lagos is sinister and is meant only to make them feel better (like have one up on Yorubas, simple)

I am a Yoruba man and I will fight to the last blood to protect my interest and ancestral land.

We are not one country.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
ibedun: Mr Goody 2 shoes.

We are not country lai lai. The oil is what is binding us together (false security) and the fear of the unknown.

I am a Yoruba man and that is where it should stop. Nigeria should have remained a confederation of the regional states until that Igbo coup and Decree 33 by that Igbo man changed everything.

Igbo's quest for deputy governor pf Lagos is sinister and is meant only to make them feel better (like have one up on Yorubas, simple)

I am a Yoruba man and I will fight to the last blood to protect my interest and ancestral land.

We are not one country.

Hmmm..the regional stucture would have imploded eventually. Nigeria has three major tribes which attempt to lord over everyone else...everytime. the oppressed tribes in the southwest would have clamoured for thier own autonomy, same in the south east, and north. I take the clamour for these new 19 states as confirmation of this. so try to accept that when the military attempted to strip us of our tribal mindsets, and prevent further secessions by creating 36 states, they did what is best for the country.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by gatiano(m): 10:27pm On Aug 20, 2014
op, you hate yourself o, now who will like you now, that you hate yourself so?
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Eldavido1: 10:30pm On Aug 20, 2014
OP I am quiet happy to see someone with these views. It's a sad commentary about Africa that decades after acquiring independence we are still wrapped up in tribal bigotry and unhealthy competition. This is not just a Nigerian thing, it is a reflection of Africa as a whole. If you visit other African forum, this same type of bigotry is prevalent with no single iota of objectivity in analysis. I come to realise it's not gonna end anytime soon. But let's keep working on it and hoping we see some progress soon. With time and enlightment changes would occur naturally. I for one do not comment on tribal threads as a matter of principles. I post informations that boost unity and showed progress no matter which part of the country it's from. If Jonathan does something right I praise him, if he gets it wrong I criticise ferociously having realise there is not much ideological difference between the two dominant parties. I support candidates based on their track record not partisan support. Its well with Nigeria, we shall rise again!

2 Likes

Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Nobody: 10:42pm On Aug 20, 2014
Eldavido1: OP I am quiet happy to see someone with these views. It's a sad commentary about Africa that decades after acquiring independence we are still wrapped up in tribal bigotry and unhealthy competition. This is not just a Nigerian thing, it is a reflection of Africa as a whole. If you visit other African forum, this same type of bigotry is prevalent with no single iota of objectivity in analysis. I come to realise it's not gonna end anytime soon. But let's keep working on it and hoping we see some progress soon. With time and enlightment changes would occur naturally. I for one do not comment on tribal threads as a matter of principles. I post informations that boost unity and showed progress no matter which part of the country it's from. If Jonathan does something right I praise him, if he gets it wrong I criticise ferociously having realise there is not much ideological difference between the two dominant parties. I support candidates based on their track record not partisan support. Its well with Nigeria, we shall rise again!

cool

Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by reedonne: 8:01am On Aug 21, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

reason why i'm saying: we should start behaving like the people who we aspire to be. what you mean by intellectual capacity is what some people call soft power, and what i understand in this context as the intangible sense of self worth, greatness, or unity a people or nation has which propels them to achieve extraordinary feats. I think Nigerians have this-we simply have to start behaving like people who do. for e.g there was no discussion in the recently concluded national conference about the things that make a great people: Language, culture, national ideals, human capital, greatness of time past..all the little things that make you picture a japanese: clean, upright, hardworking, dilligent or German: intelligent, perfectionist, and think, wow, these people are amazing. we need to choose those minor things we admire, and all collectively practise them.
We are yet to have an authoritative "state", so we cant talk about nation building or national identity.
We can only progress only when we have a state that is more influencial in the whole country than any other organization. An institution that will nutralize Afenifere, Ohaneze, NEF and other non-state institution that are very influential.
Currently, the Nigeria state goverment and federal govt are yet to posses what a powerful state posses. When the state have enough power and have its own code of conduct and ethics, it can then force a national identity on the people.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by reedonne: 8:18am On Aug 21, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

Hmmm..the regional stucture would have imploded eventually. Nigeria has three major tribes which attempt to lord over everyone else...everytime. the oppressed tribes in the southwest would have clamoured for thier own autonomy, same in the south east, and north. I take the clamour for these new 19 states as confirmation of this. so try to accept that when the military attempted to strip us of our tribal mindsets, and prevent further secessions by creating 36 states, they did what is best for the country.
So have they achieved what they wish to achieve?. I dont think so.
I believe that our existence as a state should be base on the support of our different ethnic groups.
If our 2nd tier of goverment is structured among ethnic groups and ethnic unions, we wont have some people that call themself ohaneze,afenifere etc when we have a legitimate goverment with a premier or governor. However a 3 or 6 regional state is not a good system.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Tobbie9(m): 8:46am On Aug 21, 2014
The problem with Nigeria is fundamental, until d people of the ethnic nationalities via a referendum decide to exist in d same country with others and decide the kind of constitution and political structure to guide them, Nigeria won't make any significant process
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 21, 2014
reedonne:
We are yet to have an authoritative "state", so we cant talk about nation building or national identity.
We can only progress only when we have a state that is more influencial in the whole country than any other organization. An institution that will nutralize Afenifere, Ohaneze, NEF and other non-state institution that are very influential.
Currently, the Nigeria state goverment and federal govt are yet to posses what a powerful state posses. When the state have enough power and have its own code of conduct and ethics, it can then force a national identity on the people.

you know what. i don't think you have to wait for your government to become powerful enough, before you start behaving like the citizen of a country which has the potential to become a major world power. what i think is, if the people behave like it, then the government will reflect it, because the people will choose leaders who share their ideals.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 21, 2014
reedonne:
So have they achieved what they wish to achieve?. I dont think so.
I believe that our existence as a state should be base on the support of our different ethnic groups.
If our 2nd tier of goverment is structured among ethnic groups and ethnic unions, we wont have some people that call themself ohaneze,afenifere etc when we have a legitimate goverment with a premier or governor. However a 3 or 6 regional state is not a good system.

what you've just said, "structured among ethnic groups,'' is what this state creation is trying to achieve: states for the minority ethnic nationalities.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by reedonne: 9:56am On Aug 21, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

you know what. i don't think you have to wait for your government to become powerful enough, before you start behaving like the citizen of a country which has the potential to become a major world power. what i think is, if the people behave like it, then the government will reflect it, because the people will choose leaders who share their ideals.

Nigerians are already behaving like a citizen of a great country but that hasnt give us anything. You can check how Nigerians speak to ghanaian and south africans here. But what have we got from that? Another form of tribalism I guess.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by reedonne: 10:04am On Aug 21, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

National pride is very important to a country but it isnt enough.
What I meant by intellectual capacity is what the people are capable of doing, eg medicine, engineering etc.
When we have good education and good intelect for research, then national pride will force us to spend all the resource to proof to the whole world that we are the best.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by reedonne: 10:12am On Aug 21, 2014
MOBJECTIVE:

what you've just said, "structured among ethnic groups,'' is what this state creation is trying to achieve: states for the minority ethnic nationalities.
And what did they gain from dividing the three major ethnic.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by omenka(m): 7:13am On Sep 24, 2014
I can't believe this thread never made the front page.
Re: The Glorious World Around Us! Meanwhile...A giant, somewhere In West Africa by Obynobyl(m): 7:28am On Sep 24, 2014
Sometimes I wonder how coutries like japan even without a single national resource was able to be a global power and Nigeria with its numerous resources still wallowing in poverty.#irony

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sad!! Young Female Student Crushed To Death In Abeokuta [graphic Photo] / Mararaba Gurku, Community Where Residents Sleep With Eyes Open / Indicted Criminals And Exconvicts Support Jonathan's Re-election: See Proof!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.