Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,304 members, 7,957,773 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:53 PM

How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? (9160 Views)

Would There Ever Be Universal Unity With Colored/black Folks? / Question To The Fulani Folks / The Younger Nigerian Man And The Older Woman: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by thomasdareal(m): 12:44pm On Aug 28, 2014
whatlyf: I just de laf everybody. Clearly, we have pathological LIARS on this forum feeling funky
LOL..well I don't blame them they try to give their life what it did'nt have in real life.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by teiluj(f): 12:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
my dad read online news the wahala came Wen he joined fb and forced all of us to add him, to upload and update nah problem

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by tivta(m): 12:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
Dexema:

Very funny,anyway my mum knows how to use the video camera/camera (her best functions)on both tab and phone,very good with the tv xcept a few times wen she absentmindedly points the butt of the remote to the tv,she's also a lil bit into laptops too.
lol at pointing the butt to the tv. Parents get very funny the older the grow. Guess its true what they say about the older you grow the younger you behave.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 28, 2014
pendusky: Am surprised That my MUM and Dad decided to create a family group on whatsapp... mehn my bbm now I can't really update rubbish coz MUM will always ask what The meaning of that? who is on ur dp?

sometimes it better left not teaching these old men something about internet...

they will always ask u Google page icon is changing every day. ha

grin

Good!
Love the emboldened
Think I'd suggest that to my folks in the next family get together

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by piagetskinner(m): 1:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
blank:

You must be intellectually re-tarded. We are having a lighthearted discussion here and you are talking thrash. With all your cloud computing how many world renowned companies have you founded. You say youths know only Facebook, Nairaland etc, are they not youths that founded those companies? Mention PwC and KPMG all you want but you can only dream of coming close to those companies with your so-called hi IQ, abi na old men only those companies dey employ? Shift make i see road.
Don't mind the punk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
tejpot: The one that pains me much is that of my grandpa that wants me to always read all the Airtel message and what they mean

idinc: I once saw a man getin his finger wet on his tongue to press a screen touch phone

grin grin
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by UnknownT: 1:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
Momsy tries. She is on whatsapp,uses her phone to browse esp Lindaikeji. One time i used a girl's pic as my dp on whatsapp, next thing i got a chat 4rm her telling me to remove the pic,that girls shouldnt be my priority now.lol. For dad, that one case na anoda thing. He only knows how to bring out a number,call n read sms. He doesnt know how to save a contact, he doesnt know how to send sms.
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by benzzyno(m): 2:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
Interesting topic..mann for my popsy wey work and retired with bank when them still dey get radio room? Mennn its jst hell! Sometyms if he is in the sitin room when 10pm don dey near u see as guys jst d use style d enta their room..na u go show am which button to press for the remote to get chennels tv oo..and dat go be for lyk the hundredt tym! Bcus him no go eva let u do am for am oo..when it comes to handlin phones..him no dey stress himself use all dis high tech phones..nokia touchlyt gbam! The only wahala be say anytym wey msg enta him fone if u lyk dey kafanchan na u go still come open am for him...for my mumsy..na federal staf she be..she don d ride her peaguot 504 saloon since wey I kno her..all of a suden she jst get dis new honda suv..na there all her wahala start..na everyday she d look for where to put key start her moto oo..u wan try where she turn any available pikin to her driver..weda u dey in a middle of job interview self she fit holla at u when she wan go wednesday church service..! When it comes to usin fones mannn..she beta pass ma popsy far far..atleast she no need anybdy befor she read her sms..plus she fit send u bbm msg say make u come carry her go where she wan make hair... cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by pendusky(m): 7:50pm On Aug 28, 2014
IrishKez:

Good!
Love the emboldened
Think I'd suggest that to my folks in the next family get together

Do it coz it rocks. you have everyone in one place...

we have cell meeting pals group as well etc
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by simdam500(m): 8:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
hydeka: My mum drives an automatic car but once there is a fault, she's totally helpless without her mechanic. She will be like 'what is that red light showing there?' 'why is the sound of the engine like that?' As for phones, she loves high tech phones but men, she asks a lot of questions on the same thing over and over again. She won't hesitate to call me on phone to say 'please remind me how to move this folder to my flash drive' What?! again? I've told you this many times already! Sometimes she'll just call to tell about a strange notification showing on her laptop's desktop background even if it's nothing harmful to her computer.
almost the same attitude wit ma mum you should see her call me like 15times per day oper whatsapp attach and smiley and even telling me she's never going to whatsapp again because her contact wasn't responding (not knowing she had turn off her mobile network service... The newest tech she's into now is apple, cos she wana see how siri works and probably ask siri some question ... Fun ugh? But ma dad... Hmm just let him be...

But aah... Abeokuta have beautiful o... Feeling lag
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by lonelydora: 7:04am On Aug 29, 2014
vikel2104:

She sometimes forgets some functions and where to locate some things on her laptop and when a virus causes her to lose some files on her computer, she simply blames it on the last person who touched the computer even if all the person did was to press the 'on' button. I have tried to explain to her severally that viruses don't fly into people's computers just like that.
Back to my dad. When he buys a new appliance, he will insist on reading the manual to get all the functions instead of simply looking at the appliance and applying the knowledge of how similar appliances work to get the machine running.

The same thing with my parents
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by longjohnsilver: 9:10am On Aug 29, 2014
Dad is tryin wit technology.. He can operate a tab .. He is a contractor got to send his client emails and stuffs.. But he never seems to understand why I'm always on my fone .. He complains abt my addiction to it.. Tried to explain but he will nt reason along

Mom on the other is simply not interested in anythin other than her fone,Tv and prolly microwaves
Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by iyaayi(f): 11:57pm On Aug 29, 2014
We call my mum, 'internet compliant grandma'! At 69, she has really tried. She is very active on Facebook, whatsapp, BBM, Twitter, Instagram etc, she browses daily on many things affecting her, especially medical conditions and medications, she loves to change her smartphone to latest and enjoys filming social events with her iPad.
We all marvel at these skills which she loves to show off while her friends sigh at their own limited use of the technology.
Up Grandma D!

1 Like

Re: How Are Your Older Folks Responding To New Technology? by hydeka: 5:25pm On Sep 05, 2014
vikel2104: There is an apparent discrepancy between older generations and younger generations when it comes to the use of new technology. Older people tend to be less proficient in their use of technology. It is usually difficult to teach the older people new manual tasks, such as operating DVD recorders , computers or iPods.

I'll use my older folks as examples. By older folks I mean parents, uncles/aunties and grandparents.

Between parents, my mum is way ahead of my dad in terms of using new technology. My dad who is in his late fifties does not know much about computers and he doesn't care to know! He's a civil servant but his job doesn't require the use of computers so I guess that even made him close his mind to learning it.

My mum on the other hand, has a laptop which she uses and even browses for information on the internet using her modem. She recently joined Facebook. She has a smart phone unlike my dad who prefers his good old Nokia torch! My mum isn't perfect in using these devices though. She sometimes forgets some functions and where to locate some things on her laptop and when a virus causes her to lose some files on her computer, she simply blames it on the last person who touched the computer even if all the person did was to press the 'on' button. I have tried to explain to her severally that viruses don't fly into people's computers just like that.
Back to my dad. When he buys a new appliance, he will insist on reading the manual to get all the functions instead of simply looking at the appliance and applying the knowledge of how similar appliances work to get the machine running.

As for my uncles, they are pretty good with new technology but we the younger generation are still better.

My grandmother, though in her eighties, knows how to use her phone. At least she can save and locate contacts on her phone. Boy, she can make calls! But that's all she knows. If you go on to explain other ‘complex’ functions to her, you will just be wasting your time.

Now over to you.

How are your older folks responding to new technology? How good are they with these new devices?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nupe / Photos Of The Day. Guys Caught Fingering Their Girlfriends In Publich...... / Speaking Out Against The Bride Price Practice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.