Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,995 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car (9547 Views)

Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again / I Need Help My Chevrolet Optra / New Cars Vs Tokunbo Cars In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by tkb417(m): 5:33pm On Oct 24, 2008
@Fhemmy
LOL!!  for real, i dunno anything about Optra and i cant buy such cars. even if they give me FOC, ill sell immediately

@Freezy
my lil sis is using Elantra and its got no issues since she bought it. its over a year now.
to me a brand new Sonata is better than a 2003 Camry.
But like u said, this discussion is about Optra and not Hyundai so ill keep my fingers away from the keyboard

as for stallion motors, they wont replace the cars, they'll probably order for the faulty parts to be shipped in. And to be candid, it will take time b4 it gets to 9ja.
nyways, moto na moto
lol

as for the Kia car
ill probably wait till January to bid for that car. i hope the price will be like 450k by then
hehehehe
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Okijajuju1(m): 6:00pm On Oct 24, 2008
Na wah o!!

O.k let me first of alll start from where I know, and thats TOYOTA.
I own a toyota Avensis Verso, bought it in 2004 and it is still going like it was just yeterday. Minimal repairs, Fuel economy, Handling,  e.t.c.
Now to the Chevy, I dont know much about their cars but from the look of things they dont seem to be that bad (I live close to a Ford/chevy dealership).

But when you compare in terms of Tokunbo and Brand new, I mean it only make sense to go for the brand new car. Maintanance of a vehicle also goes a long way to determine how long its gonna last.
The tokunbo, you have no idea why the previous onwer is disposing of the car, atimes they are accidented (Talking bout the chasis), but with a brand new car, you are guaranteed of atleast two years of no major repairs.

I say go for the Chevy and plan to sell it off before the salvage value decreases.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by freezy(m): 7:21pm On Oct 24, 2008
sojioguns:

14 month old kia optima for 1m. I think that is a great deal. Can we see pics?
In as much as we all clamour for the 'trusted' names. They too mess up. The reliability of TOyotas and Hondas is not as it used to be.
@freezy. The only reason you still get that amount for your car is because its demand is high. I bet it is either a Toyota or Honda. It doesn't mean it is far better than the optima.

Well, you are very right. Its a toyota, and its a beautiful 2006 Avensis. But still, it floors the 2007 Optima anyday. I'm already i'm looking at the 2009 Avensis. It a beauty to behold. I'll still go for the trusted brand anyday (and note that this is not limited to Toyotas & Hondas. . . Beemas & Benzes fall in this group too.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sojioguns(m): 7:54pm On Oct 24, 2008
I will choose European cars over all these Japanese cars. They are manufactured better.
A benz, Beemer, Volvo
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by flyuche(m): 8:10pm On Oct 24, 2008
a new car, is a new car. whether kia, hyuandai or chevy. i use a kia rio, 2years on, no mechanic has seen what's under my hood. just change my oil and move!
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by allboyz(m): 9:58pm On Oct 24, 2008
@: freezy

did you buy the 2008 Avensis BRAND NEW or TOks? and how much did you get it?

also do you want to sell yours?
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by allboyz(m): 10:00pm On Oct 24, 2008
still @ freezy,

im sorry for the mis-ups, i was meant to say the 2006 avensis NOT 2008, waiting for a reply
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by SkyPro: 2:15pm On Oct 25, 2008
I see that nigerians have become so used to the struggle for survival that we have forgoten how to live.
comparing a tear rubber and toks is like comparing a virgin youth wife and a 50 year old divorcee. which one do you prefer ? grin grin grin
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by naylove(m): 5:17pm On Oct 25, 2008
i have read all the comments. and here's what i feel. the major determinants of how long a car would last are vast as most of us know.
1- they just dont seem to put in as much quality as we used to have. thanks to latest technolgy which places more emphasis on one part rather than the overall components.
2-The nigerian road is the number one car wrecker.to be honest, i hjave seen a brand new car which the two tyres go different ways .i dont know how to say this in english. bu mechanic would say, owo moto ya.
to cut the lont tory short. in this particular case, i would no doubt settle for the camry. but if u talk of comparison with another brand, my choice might not be the used camry.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by MrCrackles(m): 11:02pm On Oct 25, 2008
buy a bloody chevrolet at your own peril!
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Christino(m): 12:21am On Oct 26, 2008
Some people are so into toks, from clothing to electronics to relationships to shelter to furniture and finally cars. If you have a tear rubber car with 3 year warranty, you don't have to visit the mechanic for 3 years of your life (I can bet a toks won't give you that much peace).

Buy a brand new car jooo, and enjoy yourself, if you don't enjoy it take it back to them, add some money and get another model, Shikena! Don't buy the Chevy Optra, buy Hyundai Elantra or Kia Cerato (2.0 Engines).
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by wanaj0: 12:45am On Oct 26, 2008
To the guy that said Chevvy was introduced to Nigerian market in 2006, that can't be correct.

Bought my Chevy Optra in September 2006 and no issues whatsoever. Had a friend who bought his in 2005.

I bought it because for the price then, it makes a lot of sense.

Korean cars are doing well allover the world.

Bought a Kia Carens (Nizza Citra it was called) and was surprised at its performance.

For those buying Toyota, watch out for certain things. It may be Toyota assembled in Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia. In that case, tell me the difference with Hyuandai and the Korean cars?

Samething with electronics.

In terms of quality, the gap is narrowing. Same for safety.

However Camry and Optra are not in the same 'class' so you can't compare. Camry is a high end car (luxury) while Optra is the middle class car. Camry should be compared with Epica.

All things put together, a one year old car is the best to go for. New car will lose 25% of its value once out of the showroom. That's the time to buy.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Youngj1(m): 4:59pm On Oct 26, 2008
cool CHEVY RIDING HIGH 4 LIFE
BUT 4 NIGERIAN ROAD hmmmmmm! I DONT THINK SO OOOOOO!
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by babake(m): 11:49pm On Oct 26, 2008
its true that new cars are better than toks but our fuel will kill the car frm experince,toyota r stronger,pls just jeje my the camry
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by korayday(m): 1:01am On Oct 27, 2008
I think you should go for the brand new car trust me, u won't hav 2 do anythin 2 u're optra apart 4rm buying petrol and serviceing d car for the next 3 or 4 yrs, d tokumbo camry will start giving you problems after a year and i'm sure in a year of use the camry will cost about 1.5mil and so will the optra, but u can go for the camry if it's got a very low milage and u know the owner.
Buy tear rubber naa, nothing do u, U wan dey use 2nd hand u don pass dat level jo. cheesy
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by AloyEmeka9: 9:38am On Oct 27, 2008
Hi Guys, Could You Compare Buying A New Chevrolet Optra At N2.3m To A Tokunbo Toyota Camry, 2003 Model
You can't comapare an old car with a new one locally purchased with the warranty in tact. The two vehicles has no basis for comparison though. They are like apples and oranges.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by spikedcylinder: 9:55am On Oct 27, 2008
lol @ "tokunbo" cars. People bearing the name Tokunbo are in trouble! tongue tongue
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Aiyetunje: 12:04pm On Oct 27, 2008
Mr Freezy, i insist that my dad bought his car 4 years ago. I remember seeing ads for the Optra in newspapers in 05. So do ur research before u insinuate. Mr Wanajo has also burst ur bubble!

Freezy, u givin us the dates wey Chevy take enter Naija, does that mean u work for them or the dealers?

Sojioguns, my dad didnt import the car. He bought it from the dealers here in Naija.

He has changed the belt twice (i think) once was the regular one while the other was after the belt cut unexpectedly (that happens u know)

Popin-j, d guy use 9inch nail hammer himself with his inaccurate facts! no be me!
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by slyk2(m): 1:03pm On Oct 27, 2008
Y compare sleep with death?

tokumbo pass that brand new toy!
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by tkb417(m): 1:35pm On Oct 27, 2008
Mr Wanaj0 has said it all
buy a brand new car when they are about releasing another version
if u want a Kia, go get the 2007 Optima.

2007/2008 civic isnt a bad idea cos 2009 civic is out. or even the 2007 Accord

Nothing compares to a brand new o
second hand no dey tire una?

Spiked
amebo
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sultaan(m): 4:37pm On Oct 27, 2008
Buy what you can afford. If you know about car maintenance, you can get a used midsize toks.If you know nothing, get a new one.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by ehie007(m): 5:20pm On Oct 27, 2008
What about a new KIA RIO vs a tokunbo,
which is preferrable to buy, for nigerian roads. cool
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by cliveland: 5:21pm On Oct 27, 2008
shoe get size na so cars get CLASS.

why anybody go compare Camry 2003 model n 1 yeye chevy plastic?? all this things wey do go arrange 4 china, glass cup person wan buy??

yes buying a brand new is ok but class dey my brother them say if u no fit get sometin wey really like try get d 1 wey near or look like am, if person nova get money buy brand new Toyota, Honda, mercedez, Bmw, d best na to buy clean toks n get peace of mind.

even oyinbo self no say them no dey compare them. check out their durability, maintenance cost, spare part, mechanic points, n ofcos arrangement for road, nobody go no say person drive new Hyundai, kia, queque, geely, byd all these yeye names if one Toyota, Honda of mercedez dey d same line.

Can any1 compare a 2007 Camry toks n a brand new Hyundai, kia, geely etc?

its ike asking me to buy a new picanto which is about 100-200 less than a toks Honda Accord 2000 model no WaYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by freezy(m): 6:58pm On Oct 27, 2008
@ Mr Wanajo & Aiyetunje

Guys, I suggest you check your dates again. Chevvys were introduced into the Naija market May, 2006. Wherever you dad got your from, it wasnt a naija authorized chevvy centre. Aiyetunje, two belt changes already? That does not sound like a brand new care to me. Cos I know a car shoulda done at least 300,000km before a belt change. My dad's official corrola is over 5 years old. No belt change till date. Only the windscreen's had issues & had to be replaced.

And yes, I was working at the Chinese Ministry of Trace on Idejo street VI, when Chevvys were introduced (of course, not by the chinese). Visit them anytime, u'll get dates. Pity I'm no longer with them else would have given u evidence m'self.

Allboyz,

I bought the car brand new jare. Then it was going for 4.2m. Picked it at Elim Motors V.I. in October 2006. They've been servicing it since & not for one day has it "coughed" nad neither has any belt change occured till date. I have gotten offers for 2.1m. . . but I aint selling it yet. Maybe sometimes in January tho. But if u still are interested in an Avensis, I could source for one for you. I could talk to my boys in Elim motors for any of their customers ready to sell his. once there's anything, I'd let u know.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Aiyetunje: 8:47pm On Oct 27, 2008
Freezy, one question, who is/are the Authorised dealership for Chevy motors in Nigeria? please answer this if u can or find out for us. May be your 06 date is when it was launched/re-launched officially but they had started selling before then?

Abot the fan belts, I will have to re-confirm from my dad cus i know it was changed once when it cut unexpectedly & he mentioned something abt it being changed again when it went for regular servicing (am not sure if this was one and the same event or happened around the same time) will have to clarify.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sojioguns(m): 9:01pm On Oct 27, 2008
@ Aiyetunje. Intermotors are the only dealers i know of. As for the fanbelts that have been changed twice, honestly i think that is not good. Any new car, even the Tata Nano will stand the test of time without visiting the shops for at least a year or two but that is not a good enough criterion for a durable car. My books say if a car can go way over 140,000 and still drive like new, then it is good. A lot of toyotas and hondas can do that. Even European cars do that. I havent see any Kia do over 100,000 and not almost kill the owner.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Aiyetunje: 5:27am On Oct 28, 2008
Well CFAO are another, I dont know which came/started first but my dad got his Optra via them!
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by tkb417(m): 8:33am On Oct 28, 2008
i don't drive a  hyundai but ill grab a brand new Sonata ahead of a 2003 Camry

sombody said 2007 camry? thats almost a brand new haba!!! are we not in 2008?

Freezy
since the new Avensis is out, do you think the guys at Elim motors will still have the brand new of the one you bought in 2006? I'm sure the price should be at least 25% off the price you bought it.
The problem i have with Honda n Toyota is buying them as soon as they are launched. They are ridiculously overpiced!!!!

got a CRV from the US for 24,000 USD excluding shipping and other stuffs. calculate that at the prevailing rate and see how much difference you've got if u go to Honda place to get yours.
I think those chaps told me 6.5million or sumfn.  

a friend also got a 7 month old jetta for 14k USD while he would have coughed out more than 3m to get it here.

nyways, my own is get a brand new Hyundai or Kia if you can't afford the brand new Hondas and Toyotas that have newer models E.G the 2007 Accord, Avensis 2006, Civic 2007 etc
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sojioguns(m): 9:30am On Oct 29, 2008
Everyone is swaying away from the topic of discussion, "Chevrolet Optra vs 03 Camry". Kapeesh!
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by freezy(m): 9:59am On Oct 29, 2008
@tkb417

That was meant for the guy who indicated interest in my car. What I'd get him aint gonna be brand new but since these boys @ Elim attend to cars that are bought from them, they'd be able to point out a failrly used good one that is for sale & at a good price too.

@Topic

I'm not so comfortable with the Optra. Even the the CD player in it is a single front loader MOSFET type. . . the type u buy & fix. . . Does not look like the kina factory fitted stuff we know. Its as if the company collected parts from diff sources & assembled them to make a car, Not that the parts were manufactured to meet unique standards. The interior cannot be called "great". While it is always good to get a brand new, the choice of the Optra is not so enticing.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by tkb417(m): 12:21pm On Oct 29, 2008
@Freezy
ok sir!

By the way, imme try and look for one Optra and see what the interior looks like.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by spikedcylinder: 1:01pm On Oct 29, 2008
tkb417, wetin I do you na? No be observation I make? cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Transparent Car? How Real Is This? (photo) / FRSC To Impound Motorcycles, Tricycles Without Number Plates From August / Number Plates: How Well Do You Know Your Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.