Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,610 members, 7,823,655 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:57 PM

Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh's Family, Others May Sue Liberian Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh's Family, Others May Sue Liberian Government (741 Views)

Photos From Night Of Tribute For Late Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh / Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh Dies From Ebola Virus / Horrifying Pictures Of The Liberian Civil War. (caution) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh's Family, Others May Sue Liberian Government by lekanolas: 7:14am On Aug 24, 2014
Directors of First Consultant Hospital, Obalende and the bereaved families of the four Nigerians who died after contracting the Ebola Virus from Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian-American, are considering a major suit against the Liberian government for allowing Sawyer to come to Nigeria despite the fact that it was aware that he had contact with his sister who died recently of the deadly virus.

The dreaded Ebola virus was brought to Nigeria last month by the Liberian- who had contracted the disease in his country and then flew into Nigeria aboard an Asky flight to attend a conference of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) held in Calabar. Sawyer arrived Lagos on July 20 but was rushed to First Consultant Hospital where he lied to the medical officers on duty that he had malaria fever, a non-communicable illness.

He died five days after he was admitted into the hospital, but that was after some personnel and patients at the medical center had been exposed to the deadly virus through him.

Among his victims were Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh, the senior consultant at the hospital, two nurses at the hospital, and an ECOWAS protocol officer who accompanied him on arrival in Nigeria.

For allowing Sawyer out of Liberia given the fact that the surveillance video at the Liberian airport showed that he was avoiding people at the airport, apparently because he did not want to have body contact, the Liberian government is believed to be liable.

The Liberian media had also reported how Sawyer personally took his sister to the hospital seeking treatment before she died.

Being such a primary contact with his sister who died of Ebola was enough for the Liberian government to have quarantined him or put him under close watch as he was clearly a danger to public health.

Instead, they allowed him into the airport and also allowed him to travel to Nigeria.

The directors of First Consultant believes that the Liberian government is further liable when its envoy in Lagos came to the hospital to try to persuade the hospital authorities and indeed force them to release Sawyer to travel to Calabar despite being down with Ebola.

They believe the envoy’s action established the culpability of the Liberian government and they intend to press for maximum damages in an appropriate law court, whether in Nigeria or in the international judicial system as someone has to be held responsible for the needless loss of lives at First Consultant Hospital, in what they called “biological warfare” inflicted by Sawyer and abetted by the Liberian government through its criminal negligence.

http://www.newsday.com.ng/ebola-first-consultant-hospital-victims-families-may-sue-liberian-government/

Re: Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh's Family, Others May Sue Liberian Government by Walphem(m): 7:24am On Aug 24, 2014
This is a case am so interested in, we don't need apologies they deserved to be punished.

1 Like

Re: Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh's Family, Others May Sue Liberian Government by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 24, 2014
Please they should go ahead and sue them. Bunch of ingrates and heartless people. Upon everything Nigera has done to mantain peace and security in their country,they choose to pay us back with evil.

May Amadioha and Sango combined inflict more fatal diseases in their country. Ndi ara!!

angry angry
Re: Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh's Family, Others May Sue Liberian Government by emmalexabl(m): 7:38am On Aug 24, 2014
That devil was an American/Liberian sent on a mission to Nigeria.
They should also sue America...for biowarfare! !

And our FG should also get involved asap..
Re: Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh's Family, Others May Sue Liberian Government by expressdr84: 8:22am On Aug 24, 2014
Sawyer may have lied, but not reason enough to sue
You cannot punish/sue a patient/deceased/ because he couldn't guess the correct diagnosis, cos that's not his job, it is the doctor's.
Here in lies the problem. Ebola has been ravaging neighbouring countries and no precautionary measure was set up in Nigeria to combat it. Many states and hospital across the federation are yet to respond to the Ebola threat, despite confirmation of the disease on our shores. All waiting for another doctor or medical worker to die before setting up measures to control.maybe Lagos will be sued this time around for allowing an Ebola patient to travel to another state.
Why can't the black man be proactive.
Re: Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh's Family, Others May Sue Liberian Government by stevecantrell: 1:42pm On Aug 24, 2014
A Nollywood screenplay for ebola movie :

*Sawyer's cell phone rings*

SAWYER : Hello

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN : Mr Sawyer, I heard your sister just died. I'm sorry for your loss.

SAWYER: How did you get my number ?

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: You're infected Mr Sawyer. You have EVD. You have ebola.

SAWYER: Look here, I'm fine . I'm well..

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: Mr Sawyer, you had contact with your sister before she died. You KNOW you only have a few days to live but there's something you can do for us.

SAWYER: Who are you ? Who told you I'm sick ? I'm not dying. Stop this. I'm calling the police !

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: Mr Sawyer, think of your family I'm Minnesota. Your wife and kids. Don't you want to see them again ?

SAWYER: My wife ? Of course I want to see them again.

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: then you need to listen to what I'm about to tell you.

SAWYER: Go on..

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: I want you to board a flight to Lagos, Nigeria. When you get there take a connecting to Calabar. Once you get to Calabar, an American, Dr Fitz will be waiting for you at the airport. He has the antidote to this virus and he will inject you with it to save your life.

After that, all you need to do is take the briefcase which he will give you back to Lagos.
My contact will be waiting for you with a one-way ticket to JFK New York.
On arrival in NY, hand the briefcase to my associate, Mr Richardson.

After that, you're free to go see your family.

SAWYER: And if I refuse ?

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: Mr Sawyer, you will die. And your wife's green card will be revoked. We will send her and your kids back to Liberia.

SAWYER: No ! You can't !

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: Mr Sawyer, I and my people have the power to do pretty much whatever we want.

SAWYER: You have the antidote ?

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: Yes, in Calabar.

SAWYER: You won't touch my wife and kids ?

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: If you follow our instructions to the letter. No.
Mr Sawyer, your an ECOWAS official, there is conference holding day after tomorrow in Calabar.
We have already done the paperwork and travel documents for you, just board the plane for Lagos. No one will prevent you from leaving Liberia. I assure you.

SAWYER: So what now ?

ANONYMOUS AMERICAN: Look out your window, there's a blue car outside. Get in, my contact will hand over the travel documents and take you to the airport. Mr Sawyer, you need to hurry. You don't have much time left.

SAWYER: Ok, I've seen the car. I'm on my way to Lagos.

To be Contd...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Grave Allegations Of Stephen Davis By Femi Fani-kayode / Five Reasons Buhari Would Go To Tribunal Again / Sahara Reporters Spreading Propanganda For The Enemy,they Deserve Punishment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.