Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,020 members, 7,956,783 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:47 PM

I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice (9827 Views)

Pimping My 2007 Camry SE! / Height Control Problem For Land Rover Discovery 3 SE (2007 Model) / An Ideal Car For A N80k Monthly Salary Earner. Please advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by RoyalRoy(m): 2:38am On Aug 30, 2014
AMvanquish: I drive one, Sweet ride so far, parts are readily available. Only issue i have is the low suspension, def not good for bad roads.

You can say that again. undecided embarassed

2 Likes

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by adanny01(m): 8:50am On Aug 31, 2014
bimbor:

I drove from Ibadan to Kaduna with just one full tank of fuel with my Toyota Canmry 2008 XLE I got through Nairaland. Before while I was using 2007 Honda Accord I used to cover the same distance with 2 Full tanks.
I also use Semi-Synthetic Oil Milemaster 5w-20 in the engine. No car is as fuel efficient as Toyota.

My brother go and buy the car this morning.

Its either you exagerated on the honda or your car had a major fault.

Ibadan to Kaduna is +/-700km depending on your route. I have done Uyo to kaduna which is about 850km with 76litres which is a tank and lessthan a quarter on 2003 accord with a bad air/fuel ratio sensor. A scan shows the fuel system is on open loop. I expect to have used about 65litres if my sensor was good. If i have a good sensor the same Ibadan to Kaduna on my 2003 accord will be no more than a tank just like your 2008 camry as both have 2.4litre engines.

Unless your accord was a v6, inspite that, 2 tanks (120litres) is outragious. Imagine 5.8km/litre against a factory 14.3km/litre highway, your fuel tank must be leaking to the ground!
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 31, 2014
Very sweet ride. Thats what i use. To enjoy the car, use recommended oil(conventional,semi or full synthetic 5w20).

Replace faulty parts with original and same part number.

You will just be happy driving every time.....
My next one will b a v6(just to give it a try)

1 Like

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by bimbor(m): 9:50am On Aug 31, 2014
tumababa: Very sweet ride. Thats what i use. To enjoy the car, use recommended oil(conventional,semi or full synthetic 5w20).

Replace faulty parts with original and same part number.

You will just be happy driving every time.....
My next one will b a v6(just to give it a try)

@Tumababa which one are u planning on buying next? The 2014/15 model? grin
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by bimbor(m): 9:55am On Aug 31, 2014
adanny01:

Its either you exagerated on the honda or your car had a major fault.

Ibadan to Kaduna is +/-700km depending on your route. I have done Uyo to kaduna which is about 850km with 76litres which is a tank and lessthan a quarter on 2003 accord with a bad air/fuel ratio sensor. A scan shows the fuel system is on open loop. I expect to have used about 65litres if my sensor was good. If i have a good sensor the same Ibadan to Kaduna on my 2003 accord will be no more than a tank just like your 2008 camry as both have 2.4litre engines.

Unless your accord was a v6, inspite that, 2 tanks (120litres) is outragious. Imagine 5.8km/litre against a factory 14.3km/litre highway, your fuel tank must be leaking to the ground!

Lol.....the tank was not leaking oh cheesy

I think is because the car was V6.....anyway that one na story for the gods now.....I don port go Toyota the sweetest baby in the world grin
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by Nobody: 9:58am On Aug 31, 2014
bimbor:

@Tumababa which one are u planning on buying next? The 2014/15 model? grin

Yes.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by bimbor(m): 10:06am On Aug 31, 2014
elbedso: It's decent enough. Just make sure you get the v6 and not the i4. And you could really enjoy the ride

Well if you are getting the V6 just push for the fullest option XLE with thumb start ignition. Inside that trim Toyota packed all options available.

But be rest assured that maintenance for a V6 is more expensive than a 4 cylinder. So it all depends on your choice and if you are ready to shell the extra cash. Your car will be using about 7 litres of engine oil as opposed to 4.7 litres for 4 cylinder, that's about 2 gallons, if u are using Mobil 1 that's about 34k per serving, Meanwhile with 4 cylinder u spend about 15k for Mobil 1.

The easy availability of the parts is also an issue and that is one area where the 4 cylinder takes all, just go to any sales outlet, the parts are there and cheap but for V6 you will almost be paying double for each part.

So V6 or I4, the choice is all yours.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by bimbor(m): 10:12am On Aug 31, 2014
Ikenna351:

Please, could you educate us on how the "V6 engine is more problematic" like you said. I am very much willing to learn.

Ikenna

Lol...obitee you don enter one chance, that is Ikenna challenging you cheesy
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by bimbor(m): 10:20am On Aug 31, 2014
@Op another factor you need to consider is the resale value, Yes V6 is good but trust me Nigerians don't like V6 Sedans. Except you plan to use the car for life, It's easier finding a buyer for your 4 cylinder than a V6. I speak from experience though.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by Ikenna351(m): 12:08pm On Aug 31, 2014
bimbor:

Lol...obitee you don enter one chance, that is Ikenna challenging you cheesy

Honestly, I only wanted to find out why most Nigerians choose to live the life of Dogma.

I was listening to Earl Nightingale yesterday and learnt a lot from him. Men these days prefer others to think for them.

It's all about asking the right questions from the right people. You don't ask someone who failed in something how to do the something he failed you are interested in. All my Lions have been V6. Members here who have met me will tell you I am not loaded yet. Why not ask me how I have owned 3 V6s and have never opened up the engines of any of them? How come I could own these V6s, run and keep them in good shape with the little that comes in monthly? How come I have never complained these cars drying my savings or income?

If you are interested in Camry V6, find out from those who are using similar car for and not complaining " the pros and cons" they have experienced in the ownerships of those Camry V6s. There must be pros and cons. Then compare it to the pros and cons of your I4 you are currently driving and want to upgrade.

V6 engine is just an engine with 2 extra cylinders, more valves, 2 cylinder banks and different engine shape. Any mechanic that does not see it that way, then he shouldn't be your mechanic, let alone touch your bonnet.

Ikenna

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by bimbor(m): 12:30pm On Aug 31, 2014
Ikenna351:

V6 engine is just an engine with 2 extra cylinders, more valves, 2 cylinder banks and different engine shape. Any mechanic that does not see it that way, then he shouldn't be your mechanic, let alone touch your bonnet.

Ikenna

And those 2 extra cylinders aren't there for nothing grin
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by dinyelutochukwu: 1:42pm On Aug 31, 2014
ajetunde:

Boss, abeg which ATF do you use for your 07 Camry. I need to change mine soon.

Sorry for the delay in response,
I haven't had any reason to change my ATF,
But the recommended ATF is the Toyota "Type WS" it comes in a silver can. You can check the label on the deep stick to confirm. avoid the use of any other ATF other than this.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by dinyelutochukwu: 2:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
Please I need the advice of our experienced comrades.
My 2007 Toyota camry has a faulty shock absorber located at the back wheel of the drivers side. I spoke with a Mechanic who told me to change the two back shocks...
I'm curious to know (why) If I have to change the two back shocks instead of one. since the other 3 are working perfectly.

@OP, sorry for de-railing from your topic.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 31, 2014
Ikenna I don hear na. My I4 is very fast and rides smoothly. Ur talking of ur Lions undecided. I challenge u to a drag race. Thirdmainland bridge @ 11.30pm. U won't see my tail lights bruh angry
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by Ikenna351(m): 4:46pm On Aug 31, 2014
obitee69: Ikenna I don hear na. My I4 is very fast and rides smoothly. Ur talking of ur Lions undecided. I challenge u to a drag race. Thirdmainland bridge @ 11.30pm. U won't see my tail lights bruh >sad

I am too old for that.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by Ikenna351(m): 5:19pm On Aug 31, 2014
bimbor:

And those 2 extra cylinders aren't there for nothing grin

V6 cars are not meant for everyone. Those that want them go for them without a blink of coming to Nairaland to have people make the choice for them.

It's funny when people come to Car Talk to verify a car, you see people shouting, " Don't buy that car, its a gas guzzler; Don't venture, parts are expensive; Don't venture, it has no resale value, et cetera, et cetera. As if they knew the pocket size of the person they are advising; As if everyone is a car dealer that buys today and sale tomorrow; As if everyone cares about resale value, when some buys to drive till the car falls apart; etc.

If people starts to let go of Conformity and think for themselves, the world will become a better place. The state of the polity wouldn't have been in a mess if Nigerians had let go of life of Conformity & Dogma.

Those extra cylinders are there for a reason. When their need come up, they become handy. Those that understand that don't bother what you guys think of them. Those 2 extra cylinder could save live and get you out of a critical situation on highway or end your life, depending on how and when you use it.

A 2.0 Inline-4 406 could take 15 litres to get to Lokoja from Abuja (200 km). While a 3.0 V6 406 coil take 19-22 litres for the same distance and speed. Some people will frown at the extra 3-7 litres the V6 consumed. What is the cost of those litres? N300-N700. Now, N700 will become N7,000 to Nigerians who knew nothing about V6. If you have never used or owned a V6, you opinion on V6 does not count.

"My friends V6 is a gas guzzler. It consumes 30 litres per 50 km". But the person that will say this will forget to tell us the state of the friends injection system. You expect a car with malfunctioning injection system to consume as factory designed? You also want to tell me if your I-4 injection system is faulty, your car will still consume less than that faulty V6 injection system?

There is nothing wrong with I-4,I-6, V6,V8,V10 or V12. Each serves a purpose and have their do's and donts. You, personally, need to decide which of them that will serve your need and wants in a car, and not what the world "think" its better for you, because the world is not always right.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by adanny01(m): 5:45pm On Aug 31, 2014
Ikenna351:

Honestly, I only wanted to find out why most Nigerians choose to live the life of Dogma.

I was listening to Earl Nightingale yesterday and learnt a lot from him. Men these days prefer others to think for them.

It's all about asking the right questions from the right people. You don't ask someone who failed in something how to do the something he failed you are interested in. All my Lions have been V6. Members here who have met me will tell you I am not loaded yet. Why not ask me how I have owned 3 V6s and have never opened up the engines of any of them? How come I could own these V6s, run and keep them in good shape with the little that comes in monthly? How come I have never complained these cars drying my savings or income?

If you are interested in Camry V6, find out from those who are using similar car for and not complaining " the pros and cons" they have experienced in the ownerships of those Camry V6s. There must be pros and cons. Then compare it to the pros and cons of your I4 you are currently driving and want to upgrade.

Ikenna

Most things in life have pros and cons.

2 cons of the v6 that scares away most people are lack or working space and more expensive replacement parts.

Dont shout when i said more expensive. For example the gear box of a honda I4 and V6 are different with V6 costing more to replace and even the labour for replacement cost more. There are some supension parts that are different, in those cases the replacement parts for the V6 are more expensive.

In general, it is more expensive to maintain a V6.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by bimbor(m): 6:17pm On Aug 31, 2014
obitee69: Ikenna I don hear na. My I4 is very fast and rides smoothly. Ur talking of ur Lions undecided. I challenge u to a drag race. Thirdmainland bridge @ 11.30pm. U won't see my tail lights bruh angry

Lol......11:30pm...3rd Mainland Bridge

Bros na suicide race be that ooh! cheesy
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by bimbor(m): 6:21pm On Aug 31, 2014
But Honestly the 2007-2011 Camry generation is really a machine oh!! I drive a 2008 XLE 4 Cylinder and during my last trip to Kaduna from Ibadan, the only car that got ahead of me was an E-class (Not surprised, Mercedes is in a class of its own grin)
I did Abuja-kaduna in 1hr 15mins.....No jokes!! The car is a super racer.....Little wonder they are fitted with Supercharged Engines!!
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by dinyelutochukwu: 9:04pm On Aug 31, 2014
dinyelutochukwu: Please I need the advice of our experienced comrades.
My 2007 Toyota camry has a faulty shock absorber located at the back wheel of the drivers side. I spoke with a Mechanic who told me to change the two back shocks...
I'm curious to know (why) If I have to change the two back shocks instead of one. since the other 3 are working perfectly.

@OP, sorry for de-railing from your topic.

@Ikenna, kindly do justice to my question.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by infolekan(m): 10:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
The op is better off with an I4 toyota camry unless he's going for 2009 and above.
The 2007 V6 camry was very problematic and that's a well known problem the world wide over.
Used to have one which was brought brand new then.... the tranny gave way at about 55000km...bought another tranny for about 500k then which lasted approximately 9 months.
I've seen people use theirs for years without complaint as the gearbox isn't even supposed to be serviced but the complaints on the 07 V6 is beyond the usual lazy mechanics song...it actually has a problem.
Check any US toyota site or google 2007 toyota V6 gearbox and you'll be surprised at what you'll get.
He should steer clear of it unless he's going for the 08 and above. Trust me. Been there and done that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 05, 2014
infolekan: The op is better off with an I4 toyota camry unless he's going for 2009 and above.
The 2007 V6 camry was very problematic and that's a well known problem the world wide over.
Used to have one which was brought brand new then.... the tranny gave way at about 55000km...bought another tranny for about 500k then which lasted approximately 9 months.
I've seen people use theirs for years without complaint as the gearbox isn't even supposed to be serviced but the complaints on the 07 V6 is beyond the usual lazy mechanics song...it actually has a problem.
Check any US toyota site or google 2007 toyota V6 gearbox and you'll be surprised at what you'll get.
He should steer clear of it unless he's going for the 08 and above. Trust me. Been there and done that.

Boss Thanks for the Info. Hope my attackers are listening

1 Like

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by nurey(m): 12:23pm On Sep 05, 2014
The 4 cylinder engines are only respected in Nigeria because of the holdup issues I.e they don't waste fuel in traffic jam.

At top speed I can boldly tell you an i4 will use up more fuel than a v6 and also at 120km/h the i4 engine starts sounding like it is being forced to accelerate.

The guy that said he will beat ikennas v6 engine with his i4 is talking crap does he know the horse power those peugeot are packing and is his toyota even turbo charged i4. Ignorance will only kill him.

Op go for a v6, and thank me latter, cause the fuel difference u will not notice since u no be akagum
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by abatically(m): 2:23pm On Sep 05, 2014
nurey:

The guy that said he will beat ikennas v6 engine with his i4 is talking crap does he know the horse power those peugeot are packing and is his toyota even turbo charged i4. Ignorance will only kill him.

Op

No disrespecting but u make it sound like the 406 v6 is packing a lot of horse power. That thing is just 207 HP, don't let the sound deceive u. Trust me 406 are not the fastest cars, been there done that. Not saying a Camry i4 is faster than a 406 v6, but a 2007 Camry v6 packs 268hp vs 207 HP of the 406 v6.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 05, 2014
nurey: The 4 cylinder engines are only respected in Nigeria because of the holdup issues I.e they don't waste fuel in traffic jam.

At top speed I can boldly tell you an i4 will use up more fuel than a v6 and also at 120km/h the i4 engine starts sounding like it is being forced to accelerate.

Op go for a v6, and thank me latter, cause the fuel difference u will not notice since u no be akagum

You talking poo bro. I would confidently tell you my SE I4 wud beat any deadbeat "pijo"....dont you know it's a modern engine? The acceleration and stability is evil

2 Likes

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by nurey(m): 3:20pm On Sep 05, 2014
abatically:

No disrespecting but u make it sound like the 406 v6 is packing a lot of horse power. That thing is just 207 HP, don't let the sound deceive u. Trust me 406 are not the fastest cars, been there done that. Not saying a Camry i4 is faster than a 406 v6, but a 2007 Camry v6 packs 268hp vs 207 HP of the 406 v6.

If you actually read my post well I said he thinks his i4 which its hp is not even upto 180hp will beat a v6 with 207hp. Haba I know the v6 toyotas and hondas are very fast and can beat the v6 406 but his i4 which is not turbocharged or modded CANNOT beat the v6 406
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by nurey(m): 3:25pm On Sep 05, 2014
obitee69:

You talking poo bro. I would confidently tell you my SE I4 wud beat any deadbeat "pijo"....dont you know it's a modern engine? The acceleration and stability is evil

If I can beat a i4 honda accord DC capped at 168hp with my old 2000 model toyota sienna v6 at 184hp with its power to weight ratio, I will definitely beat that your modern engine 4 cylinder toyota camry any day any time any where. While your car is still trying to zoom, my sienna is still urging for more power

The only car that has actually dusted me in a race is merc G63 v8.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by fidelio2002: 8:45am On Sep 06, 2014
obitee69: Ikenna I don hear na. My I4 is very fast and rides smoothly. Ur talking of ur Lions undecided. I challenge u to a drag race. Thirdmainland bridge @ 11.30pm. U won't see my tail lights bruh angry
Lions that don't roar. I see them on d highway all d time, they don't even cme close to my tail light not to talk of seeing.
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by nurey(m): 9:00am On Sep 06, 2014
fidelio2002:
Lions that don't roar. I see them on d highway all d time, they don't even cme close to my tail light not to talk of seeing.

Don't be naïve bro, the 2007 to 2009 camry is capped at 158hp for the i4 and 268hp for the v6 I don't expect a v6 406 peugeot at 207hp to beat you on a straight line if u are using the v6 but it will smoke you if you using the i4.

But the peugeot may have added advantage over you in terms of stability and durability, I know what the 505 evolutions could do then when they were king

1 Like

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by bravolad(m): 3:33pm On Sep 06, 2014
Some of the arguments here do not add up. Most have ought rightly derailed this thread. No two cars with different engine sizes, hp, turning circle, torque etc achieve the same speed. It sounds childish to suggest that an inline 4 2.4l engine at 158 hp of Camry would outclass a Peugeot 3.0l V6 at 207hp. At take off, the v6 gains speed faster than the i4. You need to understand that at top speed, the i4 will be unstable. Again, driving conditions are different. The fact that in a journey nobody overtook you does not necessarily mean that your car is faster. The other driver (s) may undoubtedly not be in a mood to match your speed.

@op, there is nothing wrong with a V6 engine as widely and wrongly speculated in Nigeria. You just need to have a good maintenance culture by using the specified engine oil, transmission fluid, quality filter and service your car at specified interval. Obviously, you will use a little more fuel, which you will gain in performance. Provided you are not always driving in a lengthy traffic/gridlock you will be fine. Most of the people who come here to cry foul are those ones with very poor maintenance habit. They use the wrong engine oil, poor quality filter and abro ATF. I can bet that most of them don't read their car manuals to even understand basic maintenance tips about their cars. First thing they do when they buy a car is to remove thermostat. Above all, run away from road side mechanics if you want to enjoy your car.

Most car owners in this part of the world rarely care about basic maintenance of their cars. Just take a look at some vehicles on the road, they reek of poor handling, lack of care. Some don't even wash their cars. How would your car last when you don't take care of her?

1 Like

Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by sonety2k(m): 3:57pm On Sep 06, 2014
johndafff: My auto gurus I need your opinion I intend buying Toyota Camry se 2007 please advise is there any issues with this car, fuel economy and maintenance.

Pls go for the XLE V6 Engine .
Re: I'm Planning To Buy Toyota Camry Se 2007 Please Advice by Nixon55(m): 9:23pm On Sep 06, 2014
@OP.., I believe in one understanding his/her car needs before committing his/her money to buying one. I own a 2007 Camry Xle V6 that I bought two years and has been a joy to drive. In two years I have done basic servicing and changing of brake pads. I have changed the spark plugs and one ignition coil. I don't consider fuel economy while buying a car. If I can buy it then I can fuel it. The V6 might have a few parts that might be more expensive than the I4 and it's in order.
Toyota is reliable to the extent that you are ready to maintain it. I bought a diagnostic tool after I bought my car so that I don't do guess work with mechanics. Nigerians believe that Toyotas and Hondas are reliable and therefore would not make any more effort in knowing the maintenance needs of their vehicle. So if you want to buy The 2007 Camry Se, be ready to buy the required engine oil, spark plugs, coolant, brake pads etc. These information can easily be gotten online if you can't find it from your user manual. There's no car that doesn't have issues though some have more known problem than others. Goodluck with your search

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

❗️CALL ME TO HELP YOU SEARCH FOR A GOOD CAR TO BUY IN LAGOS ❗️ / Funny Driving Facts / Lamborghini Celebrates Making 8,000th Aventador And 11,000th Huracan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.