Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,649 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million (3995 Views)

Those Who Returned Stolen Funds Will Be Named In Due Course – Buhari / ‎See The Words of Femi Gbajabiamila that Returned to Hunt Him / Award For Taxi-driver Who Returned N18M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Afriface: 8:47am On Aug 25, 2014
The 37-year-old earns a salary of N20,000 in the hotel where he works.
A man in Jigawa has performed a remarkable deed as he found and returned N17 Million.
37-year-old Yusuf Usman discovered the money in an iPad jacket in one of the rooms he supervises at the Three-Star Hotel in, Dutse, Jigawa.

Usman earns just N20,000 monthly but that did not tempt him to keep the money. He said:
“I have been with State, for the past 15 years and I am currently their Reception Manager. What actually happened was that on that fateful day that I found the money, I was on my way from reception to see one of the house-keepers. I passed through the hotel garden where some of our guests usually relax.

As I was going, I saw an iPad lying close to one of the flowers in the garden and there was nobody there. So I went and took the iPad so that I could take it to the reception and wait for the owner who may come for it later.

When I looked at it closely, I saw some foreign currency and some wad of naira notes in the iPad jacket. I quickly took it to the management and I was asked to keep the money and the iPad in my safe at the reception. I did not count the money myself,”

“Three days later, a staff of Jigawa College of Health Technology, Jahun, who came to book the hotel for their guests called me and said that one of the guests, who was lodged in the hotel had called to say that he misplaced his iPad containing some money, but can’t remember whether it was in the hotel he forgot it or not. I told them that it was in the hotel and I found it,”

The reception manager said the people from Jahun were so happy and full of thanks when they came to claim the money.

“When the owner of the money found out that his money has been found, he was very happy. They thanked me and the management of the hotel. The Jigawa College of Health Technology wrote a commendation letter to me.

It was there they stated that the money was over $100,000 because the jacket also had local currency in it. My management also gave me a commendation letter. Governor Sule Lamido was informed and he showered a lot of praises on me.
He was very proud of me,”
“As you can see I am not financially comfortable but that is not the point. What is not yours is not yours. There are three reasons why I will never take somebody’s property. One, stealing is against the teaching of Islam and I was strictly brought up according to Islamic teaching.
Secondly, my father has always warned me never to tamper with what is not mine because it can bring destruction in my life and thirdly, it is the tradition of our hotel not to hide whatever item we found. Even if it is not me that found the iPad and the money, whoever found it will have returned it. We have a store in the hotel for forgotten items.

Some items have been there for 10 years. I don’t see what I did as a big deal. I am just doing my duty,”

“I don’t believe that running away with somebody’s money will make me wealthy. Wealth belongs to Allah and if Allah destined me to be wealthy it will come to pass. My wife is so proud of me that her respect for me has doubled,”
Usman admonished the youth to preserve their integrity and to realize that a good name is better than wealth.

http://www.tundeola.com/2014/08/meet-hotel-worker-who-returned.html

5 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by MizMyColi(f): 8:50am On Aug 25, 2014
A fool he might be, in the eyes of many.
Yet the eternal value of his honesty remains.

A rare breed among humans.

38 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by egift(m): 8:52am On Aug 25, 2014
He earns a salary of N20,000 per month. So by returning the N17million he found, he was returning his 850 months or 70 years salary.

I will be glad if organizations, individuals or even the government can reward him for being a good Nigerian. It will be bad to leave him empty handed.

Am really glad for him and it is good having some positive news in Nigeria.

15 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Etumgbe(m): 8:55am On Aug 25, 2014
Nawa for u oo dis man. 17million is not 20k oo

2 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by constance500: 8:56am On Aug 25, 2014
alright
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 25, 2014
I hope he was handsomely rewarded. Giving him recommendations and showering him praises is not all that he needs. Jigawa governor should give him a better employment asap.

7 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Lilimax(f): 9:16am On Aug 25, 2014
This man Yusuf Usman has once proved that we still have sincere Nigerians
in the midst of this present generation where insincerity is the order of the day.

He should be given a well paid job asap.

12 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 9:22am On Aug 25, 2014
I sincerely hope he doesn't have cause to regret it down the line.
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by PassingShot(m): 9:24am On Aug 25, 2014
Etumgbe: Nawa for u oo dis man. 17million is not 20k oo

Ole. Barawo. Thief.

3 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by PassingShot(m): 9:28am On Aug 25, 2014
berem: I hope he was handsomely rewarded. Giving him recommendations and showering him praises is not all that he needs. Jigawa governor should give him a better employment asap.

It's not necessary. He doesn't need to be rewarded financially.

In the actual sense of it, what he did is not a big deal but it has become a really big one because of what our society has become. Honesty and moral behaviour are long dead in our country.

In decent and sane societies, what he did may not even be news to anyone. After all he's not supposed to take what does not belong to him.

8 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Daguccizgreat(m): 9:45am On Aug 25, 2014
This shows dat there is still hope in Nigeria. We need leaders wit such virtues in the seats of power to transform dis country. Nice one yusuf

1 Like

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 25, 2014
PassingShot:

It's not necessary. He doesn't need to be rewarded financially.

In the actual sense of it, what he did is not a big deal but it has become a really big one because of what our society has become. Honesty and moral behaviour are long dead in our country.

In decent and sane societies, what he did may not even be news to anyone. After all he's not supposed to take what does not belong to him.
Really? Issokay!
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by jideomowunmi(f): 9:52am On Aug 25, 2014
Abbeggii...make I hear word jare..which kind stupid integrity and value..dem dey do am seriously from him village he never realise am... angry angry sad...he dey vex me sef...like say make I slap d value commot from him face...da kind money..chai...infact..my if I try am, my parent sef go disown me...hain hain... angry angry..abeg someone shud help me wit his fone number make I yab d hell out of him..mtcheewww

2 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 9:56am On Aug 25, 2014
Etumgbe: Nawa for u oo dis man. 17million is not 20k oo
You are a disgrace to the society I am sure you both are of the same breed
jideomowunmi: Abbeggii...make I hear word jare..which kind stupid integrity and value..dem dey do am seriously from him village he never realise am... angry angry sad...he dey vex me sef...like say make I slap d value commot from him face...da kind money..chai...infact..my if I try am, my parent sef go disown me...hain hain... angry angry..abeg someone shud help me wit his fone number make I yab d hell out of him..mtcheewww

1 Like

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by PassingShot(m): 9:57am On Aug 25, 2014
berem: Really? Issokay!

Yes. Except if he returned the money for financial gains which I'm sure is not the case.

Even if he's offered money, the right thing to do will be to reject it. His honor and integrity are beyond financial reward in my opinion.
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by PAINGAIN: 9:58am On Aug 25, 2014
I don't know what to say. This is one of those 50/50 things. So I comment my reserve.
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by PassingShot(m): 9:59am On Aug 25, 2014
jideomowunmi: Abbeggii...make I hear word jare..which kind stupid integrity and value..dem dey do am seriously from him village he never realise am... angry angry sad...he dey vex me sef...like say make I slap d value commot from him face...da kind money..chai...infact..my if I try am, my parent sef go disown me...hain hain... angry angry..abeg someone shud help me wit his fone number make I yab d hell out of him..mtcheewww

Shame and pity is all I can say to you.

1 Like

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 10:00am On Aug 25, 2014
egift: He earns a salary of N20,000 per month. So by returning the N17million he found, he was returning his 850 months or 70 years salary.

I will be glad if organizations, individuals or even the government can reward him for being a good Nigerian. It will be bad to leave him empty handed.

Am really glad for him and it is good having some positive news in Nigeria.
The Commendation letter is the BEST REWARD. Financial or other reward is just a bonus. You don't take what is not yours. That is wat my parents passed in us while growing up(and they still insist on maintaining this virtue)

“As you can see I am not financially comfortable but that is not the point. What is not yours is not yours.
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by jideomowunmi(f): 10:01am On Aug 25, 2014
PassingShot:

Shame and pity is all I can say to you.

Werrin u dey talk...?if nah u, u go return am...?dey NL dey form werrin u no be...mtcheeww.... angry sad
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 25, 2014
PassingShot:

Yes. Except if he returned the money for financial gains which I'm sure is not the case.

Even if he's offered money, the right thing to do will be to reject it. His honor and integrity are beyond financial reward in my opinion.
I agree with you that his intent was based on his moral and professional values rather for financial value. The commendation letters is the BEST Reward. However, If he's offered money from the Owner, the best thing is to handover the money to the Hotel Management, the Management May ask him to keep it or May give him in part as appreciation for loyalty and sincerity. They may decide to reject it altogether. But whichever the case his involving the Management will cement his position that he does't see money as ultimate in life

1 Like

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by jideomowunmi(f): 10:04am On Aug 25, 2014
whatlyf: You are a disgrace to the society I am sure you both are of the same breed

Okponu...werrin u be...? A blessing to d society abi...?ode like u dey NL dey run mouth like parrot...I talk to u....? abi u be seun..? angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by ebullientV(m): 10:06am On Aug 25, 2014
Wow!! Wow!!! Just woow!!

It takes ONLY a man who has his eyes on the bigger picture to do such deeds.

In this day and age, time and season, for a man to be this honest and noble humbles me greatly.

The little things we do everyday, sets the basis for how we handle the greater pressures ahead of us..

I just doff my hat for this guy..

2 Likes

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 25, 2014
jideomowunmi:

Okponu...werrin u be...? A blessing to d society abi...?ode like u dey NL dey run mouth like parrot...I talk to u....? abi u be seun..? angry angry angry
Go get proper family value before exchanging words with me. I have no business with societal vice which unfortunately you are. I am sure your worthlessness is hereditary.
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by ebullientV(m): 10:09am On Aug 25, 2014
MizMyColi: A fool he might be, in the eyes of many.
Yet the eternal value of his honesty remains.

A rare breed among humans.
It's In YOU!!! cheesy
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 10:09am On Aug 25, 2014
PassingShot:

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:12am On Aug 25, 2014
The hotel management should get rid of him ASAP. He's a curse to them. He's a big mumu who'll make them lose money in the future.

This man is probably going to mosque every week asking alla to bless him. Then alla sends him a fortune and he gave it back. Wait until you reach paradise and you go see alla slap. Ewure.

1 Like

Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 25, 2014
whatlyf: I agree with you that his intent was based on his moral and professional values rather for financial value. The commendation letters is the BEST Reward. However, If he's offered money from the Owner, the best thing is to handover the money to the Hotel Management, the Management May ask him to keep it or May give him in part as appreciation for loyalty and sincerity. They may decide to reject it altogether. But whichever the case his involving the Management will cement his position that he does't see money as ultimate in life
Eheeen!
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by jideomowunmi(f): 10:16am On Aug 25, 2014
whatlyf: Go get proper family value before exchanging words with me. I have no business with societal vice which unfortunately you are. I am sure your worthlessness is hereditary.

Wa...se oya weere sha...abi I talk to u ni..? and lemme guess u av d proper family value and u here being a bum hole dat u are..replying me like I was talking to u in d first place...Arrow like u..
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by ElFenomeno1: 10:21am On Aug 25, 2014
Bravo..... Well done Mallam
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 25, 2014
berem: Eheeen!
Absolutely!!!!
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by PassingShot(m): 10:28am On Aug 25, 2014
jideomowunmi:

Werrin u dey talk...?if nah u, u go return am...?dey NL dey form werrin u no be...mtcheeww.... angry sad

I don't blame you. Yours is a classic example of the Nigerian society: thinking that everyone is like them - no integrity, no honour and no moral standing.

From your post, it is logical for me to conclude that if you find yourself in the man's shoes, you will steal the money and claim innocence.

So, to answer your question, yes I will return it without even thinking about another option.

Kindly answer these questions too;
1. Would you pray to lose that kind of money in a similar circumstance?
2. On what moral ground do you condemn our leaders if you see nothing wrong in stealing someone else's money? At least in their own looting, they don't directly take from you.

This type of reaction and mindset from you and your likes is the more reason Ngeria is DOOMED.
Re: Meet Hotel Worker Who Returned N17million by PassingShot(m): 10:30am On Aug 25, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: The hotel management should get rid of him ASAP. He's a curse to them. He's a big mumu who'll make them lose money in the future.

This man is probably going to mosque every week asking alla to bless him. Then alla sends him a fortune and he gave it back. Wait until you reach paradise and you go see alla slap. Ewure.

I don die! Nigeria is indeed DOOMED. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bloody Civilian (pic) / Breaking News: Over 5 Million Ipob Members Storm Anambra / I'm An Igbo Man But IPOB Should Be Proscribed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.