Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers (1885 Views)

Aba Stands Still On Ikpeazu's Arrival (pictures) / Aba Stands Still As Biafran Group Remembers Fallen Heroes / Ibadan Stands Still For Alao-akala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by eaglechild: 8:16pm On Aug 25, 2014
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/owerri-stands-still-nba/

Traffic virtually ground to a halt Monday in Owerri, Imo State capital at the commencement of the 54th Annual General Conference, AGC, of Nigerian Bar Association, NBA.
Citizens woke up and found out that government had ordered the closure of all major roads leading to the International Conference Centre venue of the conference.
Scores of security personnel drawn from the various agencies had a hectic time controlling traffic in the municipality, as vehicles crawled for hours to get out of the city.
Some citizens, who spoke to our correspondent, expressed shock that government closed some major roads without previously preparing the minds of the people.
Welcoming members of the NBA is not a sin, but sentencing commuters to untold hardship is not a blessing”, Mazi Ikenna Nze said.

At the conference venue, health officials and security personnel were busy frisking and checking all persons for the dreaded Ebola virus and lethal weapons.
Speaking Imo State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Chukwuma-Machukwu Umeh, SAN, said that insecurity, militancy, insurgency and kidnapping have become daily nightmares to Nigerians.
“We have a duty to critically study the ugly situations and make concrete suggestions to the governments”, the Attorney General said.
Some of the dignitaries that graced the event includes Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Governor Rochas Okorocha, Speaker and Deputy Speaker of House of Representatives, Alhaji Aminu Tambowal and Chief Emeka Ihedioha respectively, state chief judges and a host of lawyers.

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by eaglechild: 6:31am On Aug 26, 2014
Rochas failed woefully in the siting of the international convention center.

Because he always wants undue attention to his projects which are often sub par,he ended blocking the major thoroughfare in Owerri and exposing the poor road network of the town.
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by cooltone: 8:34am On Aug 26, 2014
eaglechild: Rochas failed woefully in the citing of the international convention center.

Because he always wants undue attention to his projects which are often sub par,he ended blocking the major thoroughfare in Owerri and exposing the poor road network of the town.

I smell hate and nothing else. Rochas shaming PDP since 2011.

2 Likes

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by eaglechild: 8:40am On Aug 26, 2014
cooltone:
I smell hate and nothing else. Rochas shaming PDP since 2011.
Do not get me wrong the centre is not bad.
However, the location is a disaster. The warehouse roundabout is the wrongest place to site such a project.
It would have been better in new Owerri axis. Considering the lack of alternative routes in the city.

Owerri is going to be on a traffic lockdown for about a week.
Thanks to poor planning by the builders.
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by RareDiamond: 9:05am On Aug 26, 2014
eaglechild:
Do not get me wrong the centre is not bad.
However, the location is a disaster. The warehouse roundabout is the wrongest place to site such a project.
It would have been better in new Owerri axis. Considering the lack of alternative routes in the city.

Owerri is going to be on a traffic lockdown for about a week.
Thanks to poor planning by the builders.

Please make sensible and constructive criticism. Why are the international conference centers in Abuja, Lagos, PH, Enugu, Onitsha built where it could be easily accessed ? Where the Imo International Conference Center is built is not a high density area.

Below are pictures of Imo Conference Center

2 Likes

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by abagoro(m): 9:41am On Aug 26, 2014
Patience Jonathans visit has been causing gridlock across Nigeria and I've never read where a Governor was blamed for the menace. Things like this is expected as roads were blocked on the opening day of the conference.

Congratulations to Ala Owerri for finally hosting the conference against all odds including false ebola scare, false bomb scare and hundreds of petitions from PDP.

1 Like

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by purplesummer(f): 10:50am On Aug 26, 2014
OP you didn't mention that hand sanitizers were stationed at several points within the premises and security personnel kept urging people to please sanitize their hands. grin grin I think that's another good step in the right direction.

2 Likes

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by eaglechild: 11:00am On Aug 26, 2014
RareDiamond:

Please make sensible and constructive criticism. Why are the international conference centers in Abuja, Lagos, PH, Enugu, Onitsha built where it could be easily accessed ? Where the Imo International Conference Center is built is not a high density area.

Below are pictures of Imo Conference Center
Did you listen to the peoples' assembly topic on hot FM this morning?

It talked about the complete shut down of Owerri town due to the use of that centre.

Such centres are better sited at the outskirts of the town.

The road network in Enugu and its general layout accommodates for its location.

The Imo ICC is poorly sited.

1 Like

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by ketoprofen(m): 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2014
Op, so what do u want us or the lawyers to do now?
After one week, everything goes back to normal.
Let's leave politics from this, rochas will come and go, imo state remains.
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by RareDiamond: 1:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
eaglechild:
Did you listen to the peoples' assembly topic on hot FM this morning?

It talked about the complete shut down of Owerri town due to the use of that centre.

Such centre are better sited at the outskirts of the town.

The road network in Enugu and its general layout accommodates for its location.

The Imo ICC is poorly sited.

THE Conference center in Enugu and Onitsha are poorly sited also. Imo state have good and beautiful road network. If Lagos, Abuja, Enugu, Onitsha and PH host a conference of this magnitude their would be hold up. If the conference center in Victoria Island Lagos host half of this NBA conference, the whole of V.I, Ikoyi, Lekki, CMS, Obalende, Onikan, Lagos Island would be completely blocked.

THE ROADS LEADING TO THE IMO INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE CENTER WHERE THE NBA CONFERENCE IS HOLDING WAS CLOSED BY THE GOVERNMENT DUE TO THE SECURITY SITUATION IN THE COUNTRY. IF NOT FOR THE CLOSURE OF THE ROADS, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO TRAFFIC BECAUSE THE ROADS IN THE IMO ICC AREA ARE WIDE BEAUTIFULLY DUALIZED ROADS AND THE AREA IS NOT WELL POPULATED
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by eaglechild: 1:54pm On Aug 26, 2014
RareDiamond:

THE Conference center in Enugu and Onitsha are poorly sited also. Imo state have good and beautiful road network. If Lagos, Abuja, Enugu, Onitsha and PH host a conference of this magnitude their would be hold up. If the conference center in Victoria Island Lagos host half of this NBA conference, the whole of V.I, Ikoyi, Lekki, CMS, Obalende, Onikan, Lagos Island would be completely blocked.

THE ROADS LEADING TO THE IMO INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE CENTER WHERE THE NBA CONFERENCE IS HOLDING WAS CLOSED BY THE GOVERNMENT DUE TO THE SECURITY SITUATION IN THE COUNTRY. IF NOT FOR THE CLOSURE OF THE ROADS, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO TRAFFIC BECAUSE THE ROADS IN THE IMO ICC AREA ARE WIDE BEAUTIFULLY DUALIZED ROADS AND THE AREA IS NOT WELL POPULATED
The traffic problem has persisted even today.

Remember it is an ICC that is meant to host different dignitaries from time to time, are you saying each time it is used then Owerri will shut down.
Two wrongs do not make a right.
The Enugu ICC is still better positioned because there are many alternate routes, unlike Owerri.

I do not know why a glaring honest observation is seen as an affront to Rochas.
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by eaglechild: 1:55pm On Aug 26, 2014
ketoprofen: Op, so what do u want us or the lawyers to do now?
After one week, everything goes back to normal.
Let's leave politics from this, rochas will come and go, imo state remains.

It is not about lawyers.

Each time that ICC is in use, Owerri literally grinds to a halt.
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by vanbonattel: 1:57pm On Aug 26, 2014
Conference enjoyment while Owerri decays cheesy

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by vanbonattel: 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2014
Control Owerri

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by RareDiamond: 2:18pm On Aug 26, 2014
eaglechild:
The traffic problem has persisted even today.

Remember it is an ICC that is meant to host different dignitaries from time to time, are you saying each time it is used then Owerri will shut down.
Two wrongs do not make a right.
The Enugu ICC is still better positioned because there are many alternate routes, unlike Owerri.

I do not know why a glaring honest observation is seen as an affront to Rochas.

YOUR BACKWARD ENUGU SHOULD NOT BE BROUGHT TO OUR DISCUSSION. IMO STATE IS THE IGBO HEARTLAND. WAWA IGALA BOYS LIKE YOU SHOULD KEEP OFF !!! THE ROADS LEADING TO THE IMO INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE CENTER WHERE THE NBA CONFERENCE IS HOLDING WAS CLOSED BY THE GOVERNMENT DUE TO THE SECURITY SITUATION IN THE COUNTRY. IF NOT FOR THE CLOSURE OF THE ROADS, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO TRAFFIC BECAUSE THE ROADS IN THE IMO ICC AREA ARE WIDE BEAUTIFULLY DUALIZED ROADS AND THE AREA IS NOT WELL POPULATED
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by RareDiamond: 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
ROCHAS WOULD COME AND GO BUT IMO STATE WOULD REMAIN. I DON'T WANT APC TO BE IN IMO STATE COME 2015 BUT I WILL NOT RUN DOWN OR ALLOW M0RONS RUN DOWN IMO STATE BECAUSE OF THEIR MYOPIC AND UNPATRIOTIC LEVEL OF REASONING.

ALA IMO STATE WU OKE MBA. IMO STATE IS HOSPITABLE AND BEAUTIFUL

1 Like

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by eaglechild: 3:06pm On Aug 26, 2014
RareDiamond:

YOUR BACKWARD ENUGU SHOULD NOT BE BROUGHT TO OUR DISCUSSION. IMO STATE IS THE IGBO HEARTLAND. WAWA IGALA BOYS LIKE YOU SHOULD KEEP OFF !!! THE ROADS LEADING TO THE IMO INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE CENTER WHERE THE NBA CONFERENCE IS HOLDING WAS CLOSED BY THE GOVERNMENT DUE TO THE SECURITY SITUATION IN THE COUNTRY. IF NOT FOR THE CLOSURE OF THE ROADS, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO TRAFFIC BECAUSE THE ROADS IN THE IMO ICC AREA ARE WIDE BEAUTIFULLY DUALIZED ROADS AND THE AREA IS NOT WELL POPULATED
Lol!
I am not even from Enugu state and it is obvious you do not live in Owerri.

Please ask anyone who lives in Owerri the traffic situation.

Little winder we get the kind of governance we deserve.

Do you not see the aim of the ICC is defeated if traffic in the heart of Owerri has to be closed each time dignitaries use it.
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by RareDiamond: 4:50pm On Aug 26, 2014
eaglechild:
Lol!
I am not even from Enugu state and it is obvious you do not live in Owerri.

Please ask anyone who lives in Owerri the traffic situation.

Little winder we get the kind of governance we deserve.

Do you not see the aim of the ICC is defeated if traffic in the heart of Owerri has to be closed each time dignitaries use it.

YOU LACK BASIC COMPREHENSION YOU WAWA BOY !!! I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE THIS DUMB !!!

IF NOT FOR THE CLOSURE OF THE ROADS DUE TO BOKO HARAM THREAT, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO TRAFFIC BECAUSE THE ROADS IN THE IMO ICC AREA ARE WIDE BEAUTIFULLY DUALIZED ROADS AND THE AREA IS NOT WELL POPULATED

IN OTHER WORDS, THE TRAFFIC LOCK DOWN IN ROADS LEADING TO THE IMO ICC WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IF THERE WAS NO SECURITY THREAT IN THE COUNTRY. IF THE ROADS WASN'T CLOSED FOR SAFETY REASONS THERE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ANY TRAFFIC SITUATION.

BELOW ARE PICTURES OF THE IMO ICC AREA, DOES IT APPEAR TO YOU AS A TRAFFIC PRONE AREA OR A DENSELY POPULATED PLACE ? THE ANSWER IS NO !!! THERE IS TRAFFIC BECAUSE THE ROADS LEADING TO THE AREA WAS CLOSED DUE TO SAFETY REASONS, IF THE ROADS WASNT CLOSED THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO TRAFFIC !!!

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by kel4soft: 5:08pm On Aug 26, 2014
My observation: Keke should be banned from plying major roads in the country.
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by Paragonova: 6:04pm On Aug 26, 2014
@ op, do you stay in Owerri?
Witness the traffic gridlock caused by locating centre of such magnitude @ an important junction and the multiple effects of such a decision to cut off this road
Bank Road is as important as wethral and douglas roads
Rochas erred in siting thx centre here and hosting such an event which brings thousands together knowing Owerri is more of a two way route in and out.
Five days of untold hardship.. Rochas guffed! See Old men and women trekking and lamenting, civil servants lamenting and even the lawyers themselves suffering too.. Too bad
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by TabletMan: 7:43pm On Aug 26, 2014
RareDiamond:

YOU LACK BASIC COMPREHENSION YOU WAWA BOY !!! I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU ARE THIS DUMB !!!

IF NOT FOR THE CLOSURE OF THE ROADS DUE TO BOKO HARAM THREAT, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO TRAFFIC BECAUSE THE ROADS IN THE IMO ICC AREA ARE WIDE BEAUTIFULLY DUALIZED ROADS AND THE AREA IS NOT WELL POPULATED

IN OTHER WORDS, THE TRAFFIC LOCK DOWN IN ROADS LEADING TO THE IMO ICC WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IF THERE WAS NO SECURITY THREAT IN THE COUNTRY. IF THE ROADS WASN'T CLOSED FOR SAFETY REASONS THERE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ANY TRAFFIC SITUATION.

BELOW ARE PICTURES OF THE IMO ICC AREA, DOES IT APPEAR TO YOU AS A TRAFFIC PRONE AREA OR A DENSELY POPULATED PLACE ? THE ANSWER IS NO !!! THERE IS TRAFFIC BECAUSE THE ROADS LEADING TO THE AREA WAS CLOSED DUE TO SAFETY REASONS, IF THE ROADS WASNT CLOSED THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO TRAFFIC !!!
Its obvious u don't know owerri or the place where this ICC is sited.
On a normal day, there is always a traffic gridlock on that road(warehouse).
I am not in owerri now but I am dead sure that traffic on that road will be like mad.
The pix you're showing as the road that leads to the ICC is the road to freedom square.
Check the third pix and see that the ICC is by the side of the road, check am wella, u will see a white car, that's the front of the ICC .

1 Like

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by vanbonattel: 9:22pm On Aug 26, 2014
For the four hours I spent at the front of Icc this evening while coming back from my maternal parents house.

1 Like

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by eaglechild: 10:48pm On Aug 26, 2014
vanbonattel: For the four hours I spent at the front of Icc this evening while coming back from my maternal parents house.
Thank goodness you have pictures.

I simply pointed a huge flaw and came under attack as a Rochas hater by people who have absolutely no idea what is happening in Owerri.
TabletMan: Its obvious u don't know owerri or the place where this ICC is sited.
On a normal day, there is always a traffic gridlock on that road(warehouse).
I am not in owerri now but I am dead sure that traffic on that road will be like mad.
The pix you're showing as the road that leads to the ICC is the road to freedom square.
Check the third pix and see that the ICC is by the side of the road, check am wella, u will see a white car, that's the front of the ICC .
Paragonova: @ op, do you stay in Owerri?
Witness the traffic gridlock caused by locating centre of such magnitude @ an important junction and the multiple effects of such a decision to cut off this road
Bank Road is as important as wethral and douglas roads
Rochas erred in siting thx centre here and hosting such an event which brings thousands together knowing Owerri is more of a two way route in and out.
Five days of untold hardship.. Rochas guffed! See Old men and women trekking and lamenting, civil servants lamenting and even the lawyers themselves suffering too.. Too bad
It is good I also have unbiased witnesses.
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by Douglasdale(m): 2:05am On Aug 27, 2014
vanbonattel: For the four hours I spent at the front of Icc this evening while coming back from my maternal parents house.
You have just exposed yourself. For all your bile and nasty things u always get to say against Rochas... u don't even have a car to move around... You are cramped between two passengers in a keke just To save ₦100 for 10mb, which u use to post nonesense on the internet. Get a job brother!!! Your frustrations will simmer. Get a life too.
Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by impromptu: 2:53am On Aug 27, 2014
The gathering of learned people. They defied Ebola warnin for a purpose, they are learned.

Re: Owerri Stands Still For Lawyers by eaglechild: 4:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
Traffic lockdown still persists in Owerri.

When everything is about showmanship, we make grave mistakes.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Spoken English, Age And Lack Of Certificate Is Enough To Disqualify Him. / Buhari Certificate; How APC And Falana Bullied Nigerians / Funny Pix Of President Elect And Vice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.