Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,291 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming (4781 Views)

Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) / My 2001 Toyota Corolla Refuses To Start But All The Dashboard Lights Will Be On / How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 9:34am On Aug 27, 2014
Gurus in d house, pls my 2001 grand Cherokee limited version has a problem, starting the engine, it run for 10secs and goes off immediately if I start again, this process repeat itself until the battery runs down, I called for scanning which they told me they need to reprogram the vehicle, I paid the electrician and he remove my brain box(the one by passenger side inside the bonnet) and something like flat plastic with anchor under the stairing then he collected the key to the car, only for him to come after 4hrs, he fixed what he went with back to d vehicle and start but d issue still remain the same, he said is coming, that's how he ran away, I have being talking to him but he keeps giving me flimsy excuses, now am confused, gurus pls help out
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 12:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
Your story is very pathetic. Why would he remove your ECU?? Get back the ecu. And every thing he had removed from the car. Your problem might not even be your ecu. Call this number. 08165520837 or 08156087872. Bb pin 7BE1C522. You can get help
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by chucky234(m): 1:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
Change the Crankshaft Position Sensor and your nightmare is over.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by sultaan(m): 2:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
What did you do before it started and what type of key are you using.

Is the key light coming on?
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 2:53pm On Aug 27, 2014
chucky234: Change the Crankshaft Position Sensor and your nightmare is over.

whaooh, u mean dis, I will do just dat now, thxs
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 2:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
sultaan: What did you do before it started and what type of key are you using.

Is the key light coming on?

Yes, on the dashboard, blinking
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 2:59pm On Aug 27, 2014
mayor2013: Your story is very pathetic. Why would he remove your ECU?? Get back the ecu. And every thing he had removed from the car. Your problem might not even be your ecu. Call this number. 08165520837 or 08156087872. Bb pin 7BE1C522. You can get help

thxs, wat is écu? he fixed all back, but my fear is dat may be he play prank by changing my brainbox, though d car is still staring and going off immediately
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:52pm On Aug 27, 2014
badpeople: Gurus in d house, pls my 2001 grand Cherokee limited version has a problem, starting the engine, it run for 10secs and goes off immediately if I start again, this process repeat itself until the battery runs down, I called for scanning which they told me they need to reprogram the vehicle, I paid the electrician and he remove my brain box(the one by passenger side inside the bonnet) and something like flat plastic with anchor under the stairing then he collected the key to the car, only for him to come after 4hrs, he fixed what he went with back to d vehicle and start but d issue still remain the same, he said is coming, that's how he ran away, I have being talking to him but he keeps giving me flimsy excuses, now am confused, gurus pls help out

Try starting with the spare key.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by chucky234(m): 4:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Try starting with the spare key.
Grand Cherokee stalling issues has nothing to do with key.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
chucky234: Grand Cherokee stalling issues has nothing to do with key.
Young man, if the key is elecronic programmable chip type, it could bring a form of stalling even after starting due to the security immobilizer not accessing the code.

By the way, lately, you've been replying me in threads in a manner that isn't nice, what's your beef with me?
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 6:38pm On Aug 27, 2014
Try to observe the security light when the car is off. Does it come on for a 2001 grand cherokee it should be a key with a transponder chip. First get back your brain box and get that car scanned. You need to run a scan on the immobiliser though if it has been tampered with you might be having issues communicating
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
chucky234: Change the Crankshaft Position Sensor and your nightmare is over.

Would a bad CPS even allow the engine to start at all?

I've always thought the car will never start since the timing is completely off.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 6:55pm On Aug 27, 2014
badpeople: Gurus in d house, pls my 2001 grand Cherokee limited version has a problem, starting the engine, it run for 10secs and goes off immediately if I start again, this process repeat itself until the battery runs down, I called for scanning which they told me they need to reprogram the vehicle, I paid the electrician and he remove my brain box(the one by passenger side inside the bonnet) and something like flat plastic with anchor under the stairing then he collected the key to the car, only for him to come after 4hrs, he fixed what he went with back to d vehicle and start but d issue still remain the same, he said is coming, that's how he ran away, I have being talking to him but he keeps giving me flimsy excuses, now am confused, gurus pls help out
Ok I have same car, but the liberty, U have two brainbox visable, the one on teh passenger side is for your Gear Box, ie transmision, just so I know what you are talking, post teh serial numbers o n both brain box on here
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 6:56pm On Aug 27, 2014
CityNG:

Would a bad CPS even allow the engine to start at all?

I've always thought the car will never start since the timing is completely off.
You are right oh however Bad cam sensor wont make it star but bad crank sensor would,one is one is on top the other under
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
erico2k2:
You are right oh however Bad cam sensor wont make it star but bad crank sensor would,one is one is on top the other under

Here's the thing, if either (Camshaft sensor or Crankshaft sensor) are faulty to the point that they will turn off the engine after starting then I don't think the engine will start in the first instance since BOTH have to be in sync (timed properly) for the engine to start at all.

Also either should have been setting off a CEL sporadically if they are faulty.

Just conjectuirng since I don't have enough data to call this one.

I don't think the 02 Cherokee is sophisticated enough to have the security key thing but I don't recognize Jeep products so I don't know intricate details about them.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 7:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
your car can Scan itself, its has an On-board OBD11 diagnostic
follow this procedure,
put ur keys in ignition,turn to the point jst b4 it cranks(Ignition), remember dnt let it crank, then return it to the nutral positinion(Off) each time it bleeps, do this 3 times and at the third time leave the keys at the Ignition positionl position, thats the position that allows you to see teh battery light, check engine light infact all teh light on ur dashboard, at that last point look at the dash just where the Miealge is, the fault codes will display very fast, have a pen n paper in hand and write them down quickly,It works for all Jeeps.

3 Likes

Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by chucky234(m): 7:18pm On Aug 27, 2014
lomomike:
Young man, if the key is elecronic programmable chip type, it could bring a form of stalling even after starting due to the security immobilizer not accessing the code.

By the way, lately, you've been replying me in threads in a manner that isn't nice, what's your beef with me?
JGC stalling issue is a curse to the 1996 -04 GCL, I used to own the 2000 GC 4.7L V8 model and had same stalling issue and was spending money changing parts until I stumble on a US JGC forum where I discovered the solution.
The next day I managed the car from Ojo barracks to a Mech workshop along 2nd Avenue in Festac where I had them changed the CPS, that was the end of my sleepless nights.
Got not no beef with you bro, my problem lies with your excessive overhyping of the RX. by the way how dare you refers to an oldman like me as a young, if I slap you ehn.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by chucky234(m): 7:22pm On Aug 27, 2014
mayor2013: Try to observe the security light when the car is off. Does it come on for a 2001 grand cherokee it should be a key with a transponder chip. First get back your brain box and get that car scanned. You need to run a scan on the immobiliser though if it has been tampered with you might be having issues communicating
Scan will not detect the fault, even dealershops in the US have no answer to the problem.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2014
chucky234: JGC stalling issue is a curse to the 1996 -04 GCL, I used to own the 2000 GC 4.7L V8 model and had same stalling issue and was spending money changing parts until I stumble on a US JGC forum where I discovered the solution.
The next day I managed the car from Ojo barracks to a Mech workshop along 2nd Avenue in Festac where I had them changed the CPS, that was the end of my sleepless nights.
Got not no beef with you bro, my problem lies with your excessive overhyping of the RX. by the way how dare you refers to an oldman like me as a young, if I slap you ehn.

Interesting.

So the CPS was shifting around? Do you happen to have pictures?
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 7:30pm On Aug 27, 2014
chucky234: Scan will not detect the fault, even dealershops in the US have no answer to the problem.
Bro Scan would, even the car Scans itself if you know how,I just explained it up there.I have a Jeep Liberty.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 27, 2014
chucky234: JGC stalling issue is a curse to the 1996 -04 GCL, I used to own the 2000 GC 4.7L V8 model and had same stalling issue and was spending money changing parts until I stumble on a US JGC forum where I discovered the solution.

@ Bolded, let's give credence to whom its due, let's call a spade a spade. RX fares better in terms of sales, reliability, build quality, comfort and others when compared to its rival Range Rover Freelander which its meant to compete with. I can't buy an $80,000 vehicle and still visit mechanic as if that's where I live I should drive such with peace of mind and a lowly $38,000 RX330 gives that. So, if we are gonna compare a RR autobiography with a LX460 then we'll say the game is fair yet the LX640 still does better than the range bar the perceived comfort and class status.
I'm still a young man, slap me and I'd break ya face! tongue
QED.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:43pm On Aug 27, 2014
chucky234:
chucky234: Grand Cherokee stalling issues has nothing to do with key.

Intermitent faults and what the OP described here are not the same thing, I used to have a dodge caravan and when ever it became hot the car misfired and yes I had to change the crank shaft position sensor at the end of the day, it solved my problem "but I had to scan when I had the misfire b4 I knew what was causing the problem" the OP'S car goes off after 10secs that "is not a Crankshaft position sensor problem" the immobilizer is shutting off power to the injectors or coils or both (don't know how jeeps immobilizers work) but clearly NOT a CKP problem OP please scan your vehicle and also take a pic of your dash board (instrument panel) when you are cranking also take a pic of your vehicle car keys. Don't throw parts at a problem you just end up wasting money.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 27, 2014
my car was having this same issue. Its either u change ur cps or u reprogram the ignition key, its like ur car immobilizer is faulty. My car does not have cps so i have to reprogram d ignition key, there is a chip inside d kkey dat is failing. Try it
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by chucky234(m): 8:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
lomomike:

@ Bolded, let's give credence to whom its due, let's call a spade a spade. RX fares better in terms of sales, reliability, build quality, comfort and others when compared to its rival Range Rover Freelander which its meant to compete with. I can't buy an $80,000 vehicle and still visit mechanic as if that's where I live I should drive such with peace of mind and a lowly $38,000 RX330 gives that. So, if we are gonna compare a RR autobiography with a LX460 then we'll say the game is fair yet the LX640 still does better than the range bar the perceived comfort and class status.
I'm still a young man, slap me and I'd break ya face! tongue
QED.
Since you sold off that your QX4 to buy RX330 I no dey hear word again, I go soon fall your hand.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by chucky234(m): 8:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
CityNG:

Interesting.

So the CPS was shifting around? Do you happen to have pictures?
I dont have the pics as I sold off the car in 2009 due the 4.7L V8 engine excessive fuel consumption, not friendly with Lagos traffic jams.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 8:44pm On Aug 27, 2014
Based on the op's car problem. There is a mis communication between the key, immobiliser and his Ecu. So let him get the EcU first and scan the immobiliser of his ride. Sure he would get fault codes there. If it were to be a ckp problem the car won't and would never start. But in his case car starts and almost immediately shuts down. post pix of your instrument cluster and let me know exactly on what to comment on.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
chucky234: Since you sold off that your QX4 to buy RX330 I no dey hear word again, I go soon fall your hand.

Hahahaha you funny guy, make we no spoil this thread.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by chucky234(m): 8:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
mayor2013: Based on the op's car problem. There is a mis communication between the key, immobiliser and his Ecu. So let him get the EcU first and scan the immobiliser of his ride. Sure he would get fault codes there. If it were to be a ckp problem the car won't and would never start. But in his case car starts and almost immediately shuts down. post pix of your instrument cluster and let me know exactly on what to comment on.
The car will start and drive for few minutes before stalling if the CPS is faulty.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 9:08pm On Aug 27, 2014
A faulty ckp causes misfire although depending on how the cars elctronics was designed. Some cars cmps if faulty would not start while some would. But from the op's explanation this not a ckp problem
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 9:12pm On Aug 27, 2014
mayor2013: Based on the op's car problem. There is a mis communication between the key, immobiliser and his Ecu. So let him get the EcU first and scan the immobiliser of his ride. Sure he would get fault codes there. If it were to be a ckp problem the car won't and would never start. But in his case car starts and almost immediately shuts down. post pix of your instrument cluster and let me know exactly on what to comment on.
Bross no vex oh, how dem dey take Scan Immobiliser?
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 9:16pm On Aug 27, 2014
Have you done what I asked you to do in my earlier post? abi U just ask question then log off?I told you I have same car, had similar fault.Do that hing I told you and come here with the fault code and we take it from there, all these plenty talk nah trial and error trust me if u get it wrong you go sell that car due to frustration.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 10:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
Funny question ;DYou are asking how to scan an immobiliser ?Haba!!! that question is too cheap bros

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Need Advice On Car To Buy / Rattle Sound On Cold Start RX350 / Don't Ever Buy Nigerian Used Car.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.