Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,355 members, 7,954,423 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:44 PM

Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming (4872 Views)

Lets Diagnose This Grand Cherokee Issue (fixed) / My 2001 Toyota Corolla Refuses To Start But All The Dashboard Lights Will Be On / How Good Is The Jeep Grand Cherokee? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 10:58am On Aug 28, 2014
mayor2013: Funny question ;DYou are asking how to scan an immobiliser ?Haba!!! that question is too cheap bros
So if somebody ask U a question about what they dont know thats how you respond to them?I genuinly dont know hence Im asking.I do know how to scan the OBD2 diagnosis.Im just intrested in the Immobiliser scanning amd of there is a diff scanning tool for that.

1 Like

Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 12:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
An obd2 scanner is not competent of scanning an immobiliser, All you need is a professional scan tool
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 12:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
mayor2013: An obd2 scanner is not competent of scanning an immobiliser, All you need is a professional scan tool
Then U got no clue brov seriously
Or you dont understand what the OBD2 , and its scanners iare?
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 3:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
Bros seems you choose not to understand what have written. Try using Google ok. An obd2 (96til date) scanner is a scan tool which detects faults on your power train. Now a professional scanner would detect faults outside your powertrain e.g your body, chasis, immobiliser etc I.e scanning of all modules on your vehicle. You wouldn't want to use an obd2 scanner on a toyota venza 2014 would you and expect it picks a fault. There are even a whole lot of typographical errors in your statement

Obd (on board diagnostic):in terms of cars, this can be categorised into 2 parts

Obd1 (cars that fall below year 1996)

Obd2 (cars from 96 till date)

We aslo have the obd3 scanners but bros if I start explaining you might not under stand it thats the more reason why I have broken it down.

So now you dont expect an obd2 scanner to scan an immobiliser from my statement. What is capable of doing that is a professional scan tool. I hope I made this clear?
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 3:46pm On Aug 28, 2014
mayor2013: Bros seems you choose not to understand what have written. Try using Google ok. An obd2 (96til date) scanner is a scan tool which detects faults on your power train. Now a professional scanner would detect faults outside your powertrain e.g your body, chasis, immobiliser etc I.e scanning of all modules on your vehicle. You wouldn't want to use an obd2 scanner on a toyota venza 2014 would you and expect it picks a fault. There are even a whole lot of typographical errors in your statement

Obd (on board diagnostic):in terms of cars, this can be categorised into 2 parts

Obd1 (cars that fall below year 1996)

Obd2 (cars from 96 till date)

We aslo have the obd3 scanners but bros if I start explaining you might not under stand it thats the more reason why I have broken it down.

So now you dont expect an obd2 scanner to scan an immobiliser from my statement. What is capable of doing that is a professional scan tool. I hope I made this clear?
Oga mayB i forget to tell U Im a mechanical engineer and based in the uK Nothing you wan tell me about scanners O dnt know.Im trying to steer you to the right direction as usual ITK prevails.The OBD 11 are 2nd generation dianostic system we ja e in cars after 1996 .Al scanners you have are all OBD11 complaint.there is just one port you plug hour scanner to and it reads from the ECU.I know we have more than one ECU in a car.my car has up to 5.but they are alll connected to one central one.FYI all those 5hings u got and callong complicated scanners are cheap OBD11 scanners.the onea we have here in our garages are PC based and would cost above one million naira if you are to sell it at PH.The only scanners diffrent frm ir normal scanners are ones own by dealership and they are not available to you.If you feel U av something diff ppst the pic here as all what U av posted as sellong scanners are stoxk phptos
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 4:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
Bros u dey pick on me grin. You are telling me about dealership scanners grin Seems with the way you typing I could feel so much anger in you guess reason for a whole lot of typographical errors. Calm down bro cheesy we still all saying the same but you could be wrong in the area of saying there is only one obd port to access scanning . A toyota camry 99/2000 car has 2 obd ports the reason for the second in the engine bay is for you to have access to scanning the Abs if you try scanning through the obd port inside the car you wouldn't get access to the abs scanning.

No 1 is contesting anything with you. It is not a WWE ring ok so calm down grin. Nawa your statement sounds hilarious how can you say dealership scanners aint available to us. You just got my ribs cracking bro. grin just forget about what I post as pix ok as long as I deliver to my clients am ok
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 5:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
mayor2013: Bros u dey pick on me grin. You are telling me about dealership scanners grin Seems with the way you typing I could feel so much anger in you guess reason for a whole lot of typographical errors. Calm down bro cheesy we still all saying the same but you could be wrong in the area of saying there is only one obd port to access scanning . A toyota camry 99/2000 car has 2 obd ports the reason for the second in the engine bay is for you to have access to scanning the Abs if you try scanning through the obd port inside the car you wouldn't get access to the abs scanning.

No 1 is contesting anything with you. It is not a WWE ring ok so calm down grin. Nawa your statement sounds hilarious how can you say dealership scanners aint available to us. You just got my ribs cracking bro. grin just forget about what I post as pix ok as long as I deliver to my clients am ok

Guy listen Im not dissin u or picking on U.its a responce to what U said up there.even the so called dealership scanners are OBD11 cpmpliant.when I said dealership scaners amd maxhines.I meant the type available to major dealers ie Mercedes and BmW etc.They dont sell them,this is fact.even BMW has specific scanners which works for just BMW.and let me also say.Im not a mechanic.bro.the only reason Im.speaking to U bout OBD11scanners is cos they are not only meant for cars we av secondary uses ans also U was saying somerhing bout OBD3 av U come.accross cars that use that yet in Nigeria?
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 5:30pm On Aug 28, 2014
Brother your English they confuse me o. For more info about obd3 scanners google is a Friend. Not to worry I know where you coming from and where did you get that info from that they dont sell dealrship scanners? You had better rescind that statement. bros I had a long day @ work. Make I wack this Amala grin your argument just dey crack my ribs down here : grin
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 6:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
mayor2013: Brother your English they confuse me o. For more info about obd3 scanners google is a Friend. Not to worry I know where you coming from and where did you get that info from that they dont sell dealrship scanners? You had better rescind that statement. bros I had a long day @ work. Make I wack this Amala grin your argument just dey crack my ribs down here : grin
Bross I nor need google am I already dey use am for emmision enfocement for London
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 6:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
mayor2013: Brother your English they confuse me o. For more info about obd3 scanners google is a Friend. Not to worry I know where you coming from and where did you get that info from that they dont sell dealrship scanners? You had better rescind that statement. bros I had a long day @ work. Make I wack this Amala grin your argument just dey crack my ribs down here : grin
Guy you funny ol name one dealership scanner that you have seen sold and howmuch?Im not talking about 50k scanners
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 6:42pm On Aug 28, 2014
U sabi pass me nah grin or you ain't a mechanical engineer??
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 7:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
erico2k2:
your car can Scan itself, its has an On-board OBD11 diagnostic
follow this procedure,
put ur keys in ignition,turn to the point jst b4 it cranks(Ignition), remember dnt let it crank, then return it to the nutral positinion(Off) each time it bleeps, do this 3 times and at the third time leave the keys at the Ignition positionl position, thats the position that allows you to see teh battery light, check engine light infact all teh light on ur dashboard, at that last point look at the dash just where the Miealge is, the fault codes will display very fast, have a pen n paper in hand and write them down quickly,It works for all Jeeps.

Sry, my broda for late response, nw I tried d procedure u explained above, but in ur explanation turning of key from off and on should be 2times then d third time to on d dashboard light or 3times then d 4th time to on dashboard light? Dis is wat I did severaral times, turning key 3times then d 4th to on d dashboard light but nothing shows than d mileage and I noticed there is a light dat didn't goes off after d whole light on d dashboard off, is a cicle with a key inside, so how do we go from here?
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 7:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
sultaan: What did you do before it started and what type of key are you using.

Is the key light coming on?

Sry, d key light is not blinking but stable after all the light on d dashboard went off
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 7:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
This is getting interesting. I told you to observe that light but you didnt listening. Now your car has been locked ok. No need to argue this. This is no matter of ckp or not. Probably the dude that removed your brain box cost you this. Road side mechaincs would say it has entered code. The only way to sort out your problem is for you to get some1 who has a competent tool to help you tidy up the mess.like I said earlier this is no ckp matter
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 7:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
badpeople:

Sry, my broda for late response, nw I tried d procedure u explained above, but in ur explanation turning of key from off and on should be 2times then d third time to on d dashboard light or 3times then d 4th time to on dashboard light? Dis is wat I did severaral times, turning key 3times then d 4th to on d dashboard light but nothing shows than d mileage and I noticed there is a light dat didn't goes off after d whole light on d dashboard off, is a cicle with a key inside, so how do we go from here?
Dont worry wen I get home I shall post you a youtube link how its done just hold on.Im at work cos of this tottenham match 2 hrs time Im at home.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 7:19pm On Aug 28, 2014
erico2k2:
Ok I have same car, but the liberty, U have two brainbox visable, the one on teh passenger side is for your Gear Box, ie transmision, just so I know what you are talking, post teh serial numbers o n both brain box on here

Ok, I can notice 2 brainbox, one in d engine, pasengers side and one under the back seat, I will copy them and post, gracias
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 7:28pm On Aug 28, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

Intermitent faults and what the OP described here are not the same thing, I used to have a dodge caravan and when ever it became hot the car misfired and yes I had to change the crank shaft position sensor at the end of the day, it solved my problem "but I had to scan when I had the misfire b4 I knew what was causing the problem" the OP'S car goes off after 10secs that "is not a Crankshaft position sensor problem" the immobilizer is shutting off power to the injectors or coils or both (don't know how jeeps immobilizers work) but clearly NOT a CKP problem OP please scan your vehicle and also take a pic of your dash board (instrument panel) when you are cranking also take a pic of your vehicle car keys. Don't throw parts at a problem you just end up wasting money.

Thxs I will do dat in some minutes, d picture of d dashboard when all d lights ar on and key
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 7:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
mayor2013: Based on the op's car problem. There is a mis communication between the key, immobiliser and his Ecu. So let him get the EcU first and scan the immobiliser of his ride. Sure he would get fault codes there. If it were to be a ckp problem the car won't and would never start. But in his case car starts and almost immediately shuts down. post pix of your instrument cluster and let me know exactly on what to comment on.

instrumental cluster, pls give a clue then I will post d pics
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 7:40pm On Aug 28, 2014
Op your car is locked ok based on your new response this night. You have a padlock sign on your dash board. I have told you what needs to be done. What I meant was snap your dash board were you have your odometer
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by sultaan(m): 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
To get back to the op question the key light shows your key is not recognized so either you had cut new key or it was no programmed the jeep is OK just thinks you are trying to steal it so use the right key if you lose it have someone make a couple from a US dealer using the Vin or if you have a dealer scanner. The chip is not recognized
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 10:02pm On Aug 28, 2014
badpeople:

Ok, I can notice 2 brainbox, one in d engine, pasengers side and one under the back seat, I will copy them and post, gracias
Thats the Link as promised and for anyone who has Jeep,Dodge models, it works same way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV4-3o1lsN0

1 Like

Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 9:24am On Aug 29, 2014
erico2k2:
Thats the Link as promised and for anyone who has Jeep,Dodge models, it works same way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV4-3o1lsN0

Thxs my bro, thinking of next step
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 9:48am On Aug 29, 2014
sultaan: To get back to the op question the key light shows your key is not recognized so either you had cut new key or it was no programmed the jeep is OK just thinks you are trying to steal it so use the right key if you lose it have someone make a couple from a US dealer using the Vin or if you have a dealer scanner. The chip is not recognized

hmmm, my jeep is 3yrs old nw and I bought it from a nairalander here in auto section, it came with a key, no spare, about a year plus I lost d original key wit d remote when I was on transit wit a public bus to port Harcourt from Lagos, I came bak to Lagos and consult a roadside car eletrician then he made another key without remote after, all went fine till this issues come up, what I noticed about cutted key is it looks very inferior to d original and sometimes by a little edge pressure on rubber handle side it got opened and I do notice one like foam or a chip inside, no qualms I do close it back and all will be fine, now how do I consult a US dealer to make a couple of d keys?
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 10:11am On Aug 29, 2014
badpeople:

hmmm, my jeep is 3yrs old nw and I bought it from a nairalander here in auto section, it came with a key, no spare, about a year plus I lost d original key wit d remote when I was on transit wit a public bus to port Harcourt from Lagos, I came bak to Lagos and consult a roadside car eletrician then he made another key without remote after, all went fine till this issues come up, what I noticed about cutted key is it looks very inferior to d original and sometimes by a little edge pressure on rubber handle side it got opened and I do notice one like foam or a chip inside, no qualms I do close it back and all will be fine, now how do I consult a US dealer to make a couple of d keys?
The US one is a whole diffrent palava as they would need the car physicaly to program the key.they wont do a scrappy roadside work.however you can go n look for used ignition system with tje keys.dunno how but I recon thats ur option for now
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 10:44am On Aug 29, 2014
mayor2013: This is getting interesting. I told you to observe that light but you didnt listening. Now your car has been locked ok. No need to argue this. This is no matter of ckp or not. Probably the dude that removed your brain box cost you this. Road side mechaincs would say it has entered code. The only way to sort out your problem is for you to get some1 who has a competent tool to help you tidy up the mess.like I said earlier this is no ckp matter

how do I get an expert now?

Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 5:04pm On Aug 29, 2014
Call this number if you need to solve the car issue. 08165520837 or 08156087872. Bb pin is 7BE1C522
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by sultaan(m): 5:57am On Aug 30, 2014
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 9:23am On Aug 30, 2014
sultaan: Read up

http://wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm

Thanks bro
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by mayor2013: 8:25pm On Aug 31, 2014
Pls post pix of your engine
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by badpeople: 10:27am On Sep 01, 2014
mayor2013: Pls post pix of your engine
Will do just dat now
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by erico2k2(m): 1:20pm On Sep 01, 2014
CityNG:

Here's the thing, if either (Camshaft sensor or Crankshaft sensor) are faulty to the point that they will turn off the engine after starting then I don't think the engine will start in the first instance since BOTH have to be in sync (timed properly) for the engine to start at all.

Also either should have been setting off a CEL sporadically if they are faulty.

Just conjectuirng since I don't have enough data to call this one.

I don't think the 02 Cherokee is sophisticated enough to have the security key thing but I don't recognize Jeep products so I don't know intricate details about them.
The o2 jeep is very sufisticated.its one of the eraly suvs to have selfdiagnostics.ieit tells U its fault .the car wouls still start with both sensors bad.in my case the car will only start from cold.once it gets to max temp it goes off and wont start till it goes cold.It ended up killing my ECU.so I went through all these 4 months.
Re: Help!! My 2001 Grand Cherokee Needs Reprogramming by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 01, 2014
erico2k2:
The o2 jeep is very sufisticated.its one of the eraly suvs to have selfdiagnostics.ieit tells U its fault .the car wouls still start with both sensors bad.in my case the car will only start from cold.once it gets to max temp it goes off and wont start till it goes cold.It ended up killing my ECU.so I went through all these 4 months.

There's absolutely no way that Jeep is first in anything modern and especially on self diagnosis. So I wait to be educated on that.

Allowing a car that is potentially out of sync shows how backwards the brand still is.

So the car starts in open loop at the risk of having pistons hitting the valves but then shuts off in closed loop.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

System Voltage Error On 2009 Camry. / 15, 20, And 30 Tons Trucks Needed To Haul Edibles / Worst Car You've Driven, Or Been Driven In?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.