Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,478 members, 7,826,804 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer (2006 Views)

Ebola: Why Patrick Sawyer Travelled To Nigeria – Wife / Patrick Sawyer's Cousin Speaks Out [exclusive Pics] / Jonathan Calls Sawyer 'Crazy Man' For Travelling When Sick With Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 27, 2014
Nigerians should be grateful to Patrick Sawyer and not curse him

It's quite unfortunate that Patrick Sawyer brought Ebola virus to Nigeria, but if you look at it from another angle you will see that he did more good than harm

If Mr Sawyer didn't bring this virus to Nigeria, the virus would have still found his way to Nigeria.
Imagine if the virus was imported from a remote source by travelers and illegal immigrants due to our porous borders, don't you think the virus would creep into Nigeria and slowly spread into the massive ignorant populace

But rather Patrick Sawyer who was a public figure was involved which prompted media attention and swift action from the federal government.

It was because Mr Sawyer was involved that is why market women, mechanics, bus drivers, literate and non-literate Nigerians are aware of the EDV epidemic

And trust Nigerians on such issues, we took it to another level and it spread like wildfire. Bbm, Twitter, Facebook, NAIRALAND were not left out on the campaign. TV and radio stations were also involved. At one point or the other people were adding salts, sugar and maggi to the story!!

My conclusion is: If the diseases came from an unknown source, due to lack of awareness of Nigerians it would have killed more people in hundreds before our "proactive" government would step in, but Mr Patrick Sawyer made people to stop unnecessary handshakes, hugs etc and started wearing of hand gloves and taking precautions.

Your view?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by mogentle(m): 12:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
You are right. Sometimes, wisdom resides in foolishness, though we hardly know.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by austertee01(m): 12:17pm On Aug 27, 2014
maybe you are right...
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Firefire(m): 12:21pm On Aug 27, 2014
Yungwizzzy: Nigerians should be grateful to Patrick Sawyer and not curse him

It's quite unfortunate that Patrick Sawyer brought Ebola virus to Nigeria, but if you look at it from another angle you will see that he did more good than harm

If Mr Sawyer didn't bring this virus to Nigeria, the virus would have still found his way to Nigeria.
Imagine if the virus was imported from a remote source by travelers and illegal immigrants due to our porous borders, don't you think the virus would creep into Nigeria and slowly spread into the massive ignorant populace

But rather Patrick Sawyer who was a public figure was involved which prompted media attention and swift action from the federal government.

Your view?

The Great God of Nigeria neither sleeps nor slumbers

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by mayorall(m): 12:24pm On Aug 27, 2014
mogentle: You are right. Sometimes, wisdom resides in foolishness, though we hardly know.

what do you mean?, Are you trying to say OP is ***?

Nah joke o cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2014
mayorall:

what do you mean?, Are you trying to say OP is ***?

Nah joke o cheesy

yes I am and it's too sweet being so!!
cool cool cool
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by echobee(f): 12:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
Yungwizzzy:

yes I am and it's too sweet being so!!
cool cool cool
embarassed lipsrsealed undecided embarassed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by iheanyi40(m): 1:26pm On Aug 27, 2014
On a 2nd tot its true....

Sometimes yungwizzy dey make sense

Other times he's just ..... lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by uboma(m): 1:34pm On Aug 27, 2014

It was because Mr Sawyer was involved that is why market women, mechanics, bus drivers, literate and non-literate Nigerians are aware of the EDV epidemic

And trust Nigerians on such issues, we took it to another level and it spread like wildfire. Bbm, Twitter, Facebook, NAIRALAND were not left out on the campaign. TV and radio stations were also involved. At one point or the other people were adding salts, sugar and maggi to the story!!

My conclusion is: If the diseases came from an unknown source, due to lack of awareness of Nigerians it would have killed more people in hundreds before our "proactive" government would step in, but Mr Patrick Sawyer made people to stop unnecessary handshakes, hugs etc and started wearing of hand gloves and taking precautions.

Your view?

Your views are baseless i must say. Did you consider the loved ones we lost as a result of direct contact with the primary host? Even if he didn't come to Nigeria with the virus, we would have put our house in order in terms of preventive measures since the news about the virus was already put on high alert. And who knows, it may not have even gotten to Nigeria in the first place if Patrick Sawyer had not visited...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 27, 2014
uboma:

Your views are baseless i must say. Did you consider the loved ones we lost as a result of direct contact with the primary host?

And do you know how many more loved ones we would have lost if it came in silently??

Even if he didn't come to Nigeria with the virus, we would have put our house in order in terms of preventive measures since the news about the virus was already put on high alert.

I didn't expect this from you at all

prior to Sawyer's incident did you see any campaign or advert on preventive measures to avoid Ebola on any Medium? put our house in order indeed!!

And who knows, it may not have even gotten to Nigeria in the first place if Patrick Sawyer had not visited...

Amen!!
because those countries affected wrote application letter before Ebola visited them!!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by ritux: 2:14pm On Aug 27, 2014
Your view?

I don't agree with your views. All the neighbouring countries that share boundaries with Nigeria do not have cases of Ebola.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 27, 2014
Op you are very wrong! He shouldn't have entered Nigeria at the first place!

Ebola is not in senegal,mali,burkinafaso,ghana,benin,togo,ivory coast,cameroon,Niger,...all in West Africa

Ebola shouldn't be in Nigeria! Why Nigeria! Greatful my ass! Tell that to those innocent souls that lost their lives.

Op you deserve a knock{sorry} but that's it.

Sawyer brought Ebola into Nigeria...should we be grateful for that?

The writer of this article should be in jail.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Itydee(m): 2:22pm On Aug 27, 2014
Why should we thank the fool? .What make you think Ebola will not still crawl in from neighbouring countries in the nearest future? What has this country done to check new influx of the dreaded disease?.
Mbok go siddon, this Imbe brought this death too soon to our shores. I wish he rot in the hottest art of hell embarassed lipsrsealed embarassed lipsrsealed embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by redsun(m): 2:27pm On Aug 27, 2014
Have they ruled out the possibility of contaminated mosquitoes that preyed on a victim or on an infected corpes transmitting the dreadful virus?
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by uboma(m): 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2014
Nobleval: Op you are very wrong! He shouldn't have entered Nigeria at the first place!

Ebola is not in senegal,mali,burkinafaso,ghana,benin,togo,ivory coast,cameroon,Niger,...all in West Africa

Ebola shouldn't be in Nigeria! Why Nigeria! Greatful my ass! Tell that to those innocent souls that lost their lives.

Op you deserve a knock{sorry} but that's it.

Sawyer brought Ebola into Nigeria...should we be grateful for that?

The writer of this article should be in jail.

I agree with the words in bold. The op even deserves more for spewing such trash...
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by uboma(m): 2:31pm On Aug 27, 2014
ritux:

I don't agree with your views. All the neighbouring countries that share boundaries with Nigeria do not have cases of Ebola.

Please continue to enlighten the op...
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 27, 2014
redsun: Have they ruled out the possibility of contaminated mosquitoes that preyed on a victim or on an infected corpes transmitting the dreadful virus?

It can't be spread by mosquito bites.

But of course things change.
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by merieam16(f): 3:41pm On Aug 27, 2014
Dis guy is talkin rubbish
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2014
Maybe Ɣ☺u r right.
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 6:00pm On Aug 27, 2014
OP has good intentions but I think he got confused about use of English.

We shouldn't be grateful to Sawyer personally. He's an irresponsible asshat - as an American citizen they would have helped him get out of Liberia somehow. He exposed a whole country to a scourge.

What we should be thankful for was the circumstances in which he came to our shores.

I hope you can decipher the difference,

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by buskie13(m): 6:14pm On Aug 27, 2014
From de point de op is driving to is making some facts.......this is what we refused to accept...... All we do is to lambast without solution........As d op has said.....we might have suffered more if not Patrick Sawyer's public figure !!
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Ngwakwe: 6:30pm On Aug 27, 2014
This is called modulated insanity? How and why?

Just because death is inevitable doesn't justify suicide neither does poverty which eventually kills justify selling your child for money.

The same borders are still porous and Ivory Coast and Cameroon are yet to record a victim if the information at my disposal is still correct.

Why then must it be Nigeria that would've gotten it in certainty and not even probability according to op's gospel?
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 27, 2014
buskie13: From de point de op is driving to is making some facts.......this is what we refused to accept...... All we do is to lambast without solution........As d op has said.....we might have suffered more if not Patrick Sawyer's public figure !!

You're not getting it but I'm sure you will if you just applied yourself.

Sawyer as a person = we shouldn't be grateful.

Sawyers incidence and circumstances around it = we should be appreciative.

Think about it for a minute before you respond.
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Clinton594(m): 6:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
I can't really believe this is coming from youngwizzy - the controversial guy.
Good one....
MODS! YOU DON'T NEED ME TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 27, 2014
Who hacked your account op?
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 27, 2014
ritux:

Where were those countries when Suya Sawyer came to Nigeria??

why didn't he go to those "neighboring countries"??
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by squaddy(m): 9:04pm On Aug 27, 2014
This is a very foolish thing to say.

Would you say this same thing if the virus resulted in the demise of any member of your family?

Your reasoning faculty should be checked ASAP(I mean that in a nice way)
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Ngwakwe: 9:09pm On Aug 27, 2014
Yungwizzzy:

Where were those countries when Suya Sawyer came to Nigeria??

why didn't he go to those "neighboring countries"??

The wife has already answered your question.

Sawyer's wife said he (Patrick) believed that Nigeria has the best Medical facilities in West Africa to take care of him (her husband).
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 27, 2014
Ngwakwe:

The wife has already answered your question.

Sawyer's wife said he (Patrick) believed that Nigeria has the best Medical facilities in West Africa to take care of him (her husband).

So more Ebola patients who presume that "Nigeria has the best medical facilities" would have rushed down here in their hundreds!!

while the gullible ones will go to synagogue church!!
Re: Nigerians Should Be Grateful To Patrick Sawyer by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 27, 2014
you are so right.... if it came into Nigeria by a smuggler or illegal immigrants, we would have lost a lot of people. Now according to the health minister there is only one case left of ebola in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

You Must Read This If You're A PDP Supporter / Rivers State Welcomes Barr Nyesom Wike today 24th oct - Pictures / Hyper-realitistic Goodluck Jonathan Drawing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.