Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:35 AM

My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police (17902 Views)

Rejoinder: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today - Political Failure? / My Experience With Lagos State Govts. Flood Helpline / Building Collapses In Lagos Police Barracks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by AltarBoy1: 5:34pm On Aug 28, 2014
allanphash7: i will rather remain jobless instead of being a Nigeria Police
You are not really jobless or dem never give you police work...

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by rill: 5:34pm On Aug 28, 2014
Brb
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by CharlieMaria(m): 5:34pm On Aug 28, 2014
I hate police. Lubbish and useress ppl.
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by damola1: 5:35pm On Aug 28, 2014
Na today...

Welcome to lagos ...

This is a very simple matter, last time a police tried this with me was 10years ago, I carried him to my house, left him there, na hin and my papa sort themself out...

First rule of the game, never accept you effed up.. else you are hooked, always say na lai...unless you really effed up...which you can still deny.

Second rule, never ever enter a police station with your car... else, you don enter one chance....never ever go into a police station. It's their zone, and their word is the rule. Always always stay on the road if you've time for them.

Most important rule, lock ya motor, and wind up ya glass, and hold them long enough for the traffic light to turn green, nobody will tell them to go back....

Police are very wonderful and understandable people, they are a product of the same society we grew up in, they are really your friends if you know how to befriend them.

5 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Clone2020(m): 5:36pm On Aug 28, 2014
I experienced a similar thing last month in lagos and I wrote about it, check out my post.
www.nairaland.com/1836269/victim-nigerian-police-brutality-extortion

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by wellmax(m): 5:36pm On Aug 28, 2014
USELESS POLICEMEN
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Ifyngene: 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
na him make dere live node finish wel

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by biggozz(m): 5:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
Moral of the story:
1. Lock down your car before you put the key in the ignition if you drive in Lagos.

2. If they ever succeed at taking over control of your car, then get your phone ready to record the smartest way you can. But never get caught.

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Jhayson(m): 5:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
Hhmmmmn....I think we nid a CITY HUNTER in nigeria

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Rhymeyjohn: 5:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
later they will tell you POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND
Biggest Lie. If you see snake and police at the same time,
run from the police

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by meexteriox(m): 5:40pm On Aug 28, 2014
Stadium Police station....scam of the century.
Every Police officer there is a scam, everybody.
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
100Cents: This is state govt agberoo style they are using to disposess people of valuables..

He would regret not collecting the earlier N5k.

Very greedy animals..
So na state govt get police? I pity ur teachers.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by JERRYMAG4(m): 5:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
Can you imagine if you had a spy camera to video and record all the discussion? Contact me in need of one. Just N10,500 and you will get a spy WRIST WATCH with night vision, 8G and clear voice recorder.

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Ifyngene: 5:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
u for video am nah
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 28, 2014
air? #1ton? ... hmmm, wretchedness in summary grin
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Day11(m): 5:45pm On Aug 28, 2014
and you left without giving the olopaz nothing... You be bad pesin angry
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by kolaaderin: 5:47pm On Aug 28, 2014
debbie: After hearing so many bad things about the Nigeria Police force,i didnt know that one day i will fall victim to their wicked and corrupt mind.
One my way yesterday in Lagos State,while my cousin was driving down the National Stadium Surulere onward to shitta and down to lawanson.As we were approaching the traffic light infront of the stadium (which had two traffic lights that work almost simultaneously),before the light changed to orange my cousin having passed the first traffic light which was few steps away from the second stopped.

In less than few seconds,three female police officers standing by came and started questioning us.
One said " why didnt you stop since and its now that the light was changing to orange that you will stop.Before we knew what was happening the other ladies jumped inside the backseat.
The second lady asked us to park in front of the stadium,but my cousin and i insisted that we didn't commit any traffic offense.Yet the refused and asked us to drive into the stadium.Because we refused, the lady started shouting that we want to kidnap her? (someone who forcefully entered your car is now raising alarm).....this was where the whole drama unfolded.

Unknown to us,they actually led us to a police station inside the National stadium.Immediately we where confronted by two men who looked hungry and unpleasant in their uniform.This was the DPO and another officer or whoever they were.They started accusing us of trying to kidnap the ladies and secondly breaking the traffic rules.Meanwhile these ladies have already disappeared and gone back to their duty post ( waiting for another victim).

The DPO told us that our offense is 80,000naira else we will be taken to alausa...at that point we felt weak and cold,knowing that this was not going to end up in a funny way.
We started pleading after trying to prove we didn't commit any offense....before we knew what was happening they called a stand by vulcanizer who deflected our tires.At this point we felt helpless and we told them we didnt have much money on us,but just about 5k ( the DPO busted into serious anger and shouted at us,that we think he is all these road side touts that can just collect anything? that is it either we pay 20k or forget the car for now)...not knowing what to do.My cousin now told the police officer to call back the guy to pump air back into those tires,let him try and figure out a way out...the vulcanizer came and said that to pump each tire is 1000 naira.This sent some cold air down my spine and i was like is this really happening or was i dreaming.The poor man told us that since it was the officer that asked him to pump the tire,he needs to buy him some cool recharge cards,so that is why he is charging us that huge amount.

My cousin started calling his office people and explaining what happened.After some minutes (thanks to the closeness of his office to the National Stadium),two of his colleagues came and demanded to speak with the DPO....who refused to entertain any discussion.

Unknown to me,they have already contacted another DPO at IJORA side,who requested to speak with the man in-charge.....while the colleagues were persuading the man to speak with the oga on phone,he started ranting that who the hell is it they want him to speak to.Afterward he collected the phone and from his salutation one could easily detect who the person on the other end was.Within some few minutes the call was over and the officer out of anger told the guy to pump back the tires and insisted he needs to settle those ladies...we said NO,BUT IT WAS OBVIOUS ANOTHER DRAMA WAS ABOUT TO BEGIN....

AFTER SPENDING OVER 3HOURS THERE,WE WERE RELEASED AND LEFT THE PLACE
THIS IS MY STORY

I wonder how many innocent citizens have fallen prey to the hands of these wicked and corrupt men who should be doing the right thing...NOT TO TALK OF THOSE LADIES WHO ARE STATIONED THERE TO CATCH VICTIMS AND DRAIN THEM OF THEIR MONEY.
I ask,what is the government doing? has it really gotten this bad? who are we to blame? even in the heart of the town such things happen and no one is speaking against it?

FINALLY,NIGERIA HAS A LONG WAY TO GO,BUT OUR POLICE FORCE IS A TOTAL DISGRACE .

sorry !!!

we now have new IGP and his orders are definitely different from the old one. He is silent on creation of check point and we all know been silent means go ahead.

Note all, the Police are fully back on the road with Check points and they have to catch up with all the lost revenue during the regime of the old IG.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by allanphash7(m): 5:53pm On Aug 28, 2014
u get work for me?
AltarBoy1: You are not really jobless or dem never give you police work...
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by ewizard1: 6:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
But i'm sorry... With the level of annoyance these police causes ehn!

If your Father or Mother is an Extortive and Corrupt Police Officer!

YOU ARE A BASTARD!!!

[size=5pt]Dont display your foolishness and illiteracy, i already said "I'm sorry"[/size]
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 28, 2014
I have videos of how a police man almost killed a driver because he refused to give him 50naira but I can't upload it due to the size.
Someone should help me expose another unlucky wicked man angry
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Blockus: 6:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
debbie: After hearing so many bad things about the Nigeria Police force,i didnt know that one day i will fall victim to their wicked and corrupt mind.
One my way yesterday in Lagos State,while my cousin was driving down the National Stadium Surulere onward to shitta and down to lawanson.As we were approaching the traffic light infront of the stadium (which had two traffic lights that work almost simultaneously),before the light changed to orange my cousin having passed the first traffic light which was few steps away from the second stopped.

In less than few seconds,three female police officers standing by came and started questioning us.
One said " why didnt you stop since and its now that the light was changing to orange that you will stop.Before we knew what was happening the other ladies jumped inside the backseat.
The second lady asked us to park in front of the stadium,but my cousin and i insisted that we didn't commit any traffic offense.Yet the refused and asked us to drive into the stadium.Because we refused, the lady started shouting that we want to kidnap her? (someone who forcefully entered your car is now raising alarm).....this was where the whole drama unfolded.

Unknown to us,they actually led us to a police station inside the National stadium.Immediately we where confronted by two men who looked hungry and unpleasant in their uniform.This was the DPO and another officer or whoever they were.They started accusing us of trying to kidnap the ladies and secondly breaking the traffic rules.Meanwhile these ladies have already disappeared and gone back to their duty post ( waiting for another victim).

The DPO told us that our offense is 80,000naira else we will be taken to alausa...at that point we felt weak and cold,knowing that this was not going to end up in a funny way.
We started pleading after trying to prove we didn't commit any offense....before we knew what was happening they called a stand by vulcanizer who deflected our tires.At this point we felt helpless and we told them we didnt have much money on us,but just about 5k ( the DPO busted into serious anger and shouted at us,that we think he is all these road side touts that can just collect anything? that is it either we pay 20k or forget the car for now)...not knowing what to do.My cousin now told the police officer to call back the guy to pump air back into those tires,let him try and figure out a way out...the vulcanizer came and said that to pump each tire is 1000 naira.This sent some cold air down my spine and i was like is this really happening or was i dreaming.The poor man told us that since it was the officer that asked him to pump the tire,he needs to buy him some cool recharge cards,so that is why he is charging us that huge amount.

My cousin started calling his office people and explaining what happened.After some minutes (thanks to the closeness of his office to the National Stadium),two of his colleagues came and demanded to speak with the DPO....who refused to entertain any discussion.

Unknown to me,they have already contacted another DPO at IJORA side,who requested to speak with the man in-charge.....while the colleagues were persuading the man to speak with the oga on phone,he started ranting that who the hell is it they want him to speak to.Afterward he collected the phone and from his salutation one could easily detect who the person on the other end was.Within some few minutes the call was over and the officer out of anger told the guy to pump back the tires and insisted he needs to settle those ladies...we said NO,BUT IT WAS OBVIOUS ANOTHER DRAMA WAS ABOUT TO BEGIN....

THIS IS MY STORY

I wonder how many innocent citizens have fallen prey to the hands of these wicked and corrupt men who should be doing the right thing...NOT TO TALK OF THOSE LADIES WHO ARE STATIONED THERE TO CATCH VICTIMS AND DRAIN THEM OF THEIR MONEY.
I ask,what is the government doing? has it really gotten this bad? who are we to blame? even in the heart of the town such things happen and no one is speaking against it?

lol...

You were almost a learner. grin

Me I just tell them; No wahala.. And tell them to start the processing of the crime as I intend to take everybody to court.. Meanwhile I don start to record the whole Gbege from the moment the police surround the vehicle.. Nothing dem fear reach video evidence. Just go online and buy a hidden camera for vehicle.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by pheesayor(m): 6:09pm On Aug 28, 2014
You should have recorded with your camera and have and have them exposed online, that seems to be the only way right now since the authorities are equally corrupt and can't help.

Every public official looks for ways to extort.

That was how one FRSC stopped our company bus and tried to fine us for deflated spare tyre, I told him we just changed the tyre when one went flat a few kilometers behind, he said that was not his business. It took boldness and insistence on no offense on my part before he now mellowed and allowed us go.

Police, FRSC, VIO et al are predators. Even though LASTMA has been tamed a little, a few of them still prey on unsuspecting bus drivers especially when they are non patrol with policemen.

We should all start watching and recording these events, secretly in the case of policemen who are armed.

THIS IS MY STORY

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by GboyegaD(m): 6:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
I experienced the Police wahala some times last year and heaven knows I don't think I want to drive in Lagos ever again at least for now.
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by pheesayor(m): 6:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
how can we get the video from you? I can help you post online.

3cycle: I have videos of how a police man almost killed a driver because he refused to give him 50naira but I can't upload it due to the size.
Someone should help me expose another unlucky wicked man angry
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Pavore9: 6:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
Hian! Police officers ain't even loyal to the laws they vow to protect!
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 28, 2014
pheesayor: how can we get the video from you? I can help you post online.

Whatsapp?
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by edo70: 6:25pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nigerian policemen are criminals.Similar incidence happened 2 my cousin.He woke up in d midnight 2 pee outside.Their room was directly facing d street n was outside d compound.D main~gate was locked.Immediately he finished peeing he was accosted by a gang of policemen who accused of being one of d thieves that escaped when they were pursuing them in d vicinity.D funniest thing was nothing lik e that happenedMy cousin was shirtless n wearing only a boxer.To cut d story short my uncle had to part with close to a 100 thousand.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by caesaraba(m): 6:28pm On Aug 28, 2014
Ah! This is why I now have a lawyer after encountering policemen who make extortion look like official government business countless number of times. It doesn't solve everything but it sure eliminates fear and gives you some confidence when you 'land in their trap.'

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lol, the part about those officers disappearing is very true.
I met thess ones they call MOT(Ministry of Trans) in Abia State. They checked all my papers and said it's not complete. I said not possible, he said u don't have MOT wareva, I've never heard that in my 5yrs of driving so I got really angry by then one lady was already n d car.

She directed me to dia office, after speaking all d english I know of they seized my license said I was going to pay 7k but I was seeing 3500 on this paper they typed dia charges, I asked why mine is 7k, they said bc they caught me.

That was when I looked @ d drivers license the man was even holding and realised it was my expired license. I told him lemme get to Gtb down the road, naso I take reach my house. Did the papers the next day and I was ready for them...

Met another set, I intentionally removed that MOT clearance, he started that dia denge pose, I was smiling grin
Then I asked him, is there anything ure actually looking for, u wasting my time. He said, lemme have ur license I gave him. Then he said, u don't have ur MOT clearance. I gave him dis smile and said, u shud have just asked for that and not my papers grin

I cud see it in his eyes he felt like beating me, b4 he cud say jack, I snatched it from his hands and sped off.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by bigx(m): 6:33pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lock your doors, wind up your windows, never let them hold your original docs (make copies), never let them in our car, if they stop you, and you see any chance RUN. Police is not your friend

6 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 28, 2014
Those of you saying why didn't he record them, they break people's phone o!

Or at least, the military was breaking people's phones during that BRT bus incident in Lagos when they tried to take pictures.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 6:45pm On Aug 28, 2014
U break traffic law u xpect not to be harrassed by hungry lawless officials. The best u can do is zoom off n if u too slow to do dat jst pray u av som1 superior u can call 2 bail u out of d hands of dem hungry officials.
These guys are always at d bustop hoping to find som1 who defaults in obeying the traffic rule n if you are caught, oyo o.
U can only shout dat govt suppose 2 control dese guys, bt who u wan go report to? U wan go report fraudster to thief?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Attempts To Force Me Out Will Break APC – Timi Frank / Buhari ‘incompetent, Clueless, Lacks Direction’ – Aisha Yesufu / Today Is Remembrance Sunday (100th Anniversary Of The End Of World War 1).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.