Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:31 AM

My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police (18002 Views)

Rejoinder: My Bitter Experience As A Doctor Today - Political Failure? / My Experience With Lagos State Govts. Flood Helpline / Building Collapses In Lagos Police Barracks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by NaLaugh: 6:47pm On Aug 28, 2014
BadBoy25: if the cop was white,you would go out and riot and destroy your neighborhood .

Obviously, your brain functions are lost.

Can you explain how that fits into this context? We ain't talking about Ferguson, Missouri.

This is about the NPF, and the FACT that they are no different from armed robbers, fraudsters and kidnappers.
Take these three vices and mold it up into one- you get the NPF.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by obidiegwujane10(f): 6:48pm On Aug 28, 2014
it is now u know that Nigerian police are hungary robbers?
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by henryobinna(m): 6:51pm On Aug 28, 2014
Gbade60: Next time, make use of ur mobile fone, y didn't u video or snap dem, so we cn expose dem? Btw, are you telling d whole truth? Cus I knw sum silly ppl dnt use to obey d traffic light!!
hope you don't mean what you're saying!
if she had brought out her phone to record/snap what was going on, do you know that those 'legal' criminals could open fire on them and term it accidental discharge? or worse claim to have been attacked by maybe her cousin and you know once you're dead you're dead forever
so thank GOD she/they never took that risk

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by simdam500(m): 6:51pm On Aug 28, 2014
olatade: The police is your friend
in what chapter and verse of which holy book did u find that?

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Emmafrancis: 6:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
igbsam: I once almost fell victim of this act of theirs. But guess what I did. There is a barrack within the vicinity. Immediately they opened my car door and jumped into it. I central locked it and then told them that they have made the biggest mistake of their life. I then told them i'm a soldier and right away, i am going to the barrack where they would be taught a lesson they will never forget. Fortunately, I have some colleagues of mine as military personal in that barrack. I called them up and told them i am coming with some criminals to the barrack. My brothers, come see as those women dey beg me. Officer, please....we are sorry, we are very sorry. I drove them a little after the barrack, up to ifesinachi park before i warned them never in their life to try that nonsense with me and then opened the door and let them out. Come see as dem run like criminals.

Run like criminal?? Lol. But that's exactly what they are nah
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Blaqsmith(m): 6:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
it was a bad day devil drink water I and a fellow nairalander and bro,01mcfadden got victimized by the Nigerian Ologogoro Force wrongly known as Police....
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 28, 2014
Best way to scare off armed policemen when falsely accused of breaking traffic law is to video dem wif ur fone, shout to get people's attention around, trust me u wunt pay a dime b4 dey let u go.
Disclaimer: Dnt try the above if u are guilty o.
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 7:03pm On Aug 28, 2014
This is really sad. Corruption has eaten deep into the hearts and souls of public office holders in naija, no single parastatal is left out. It's not just a police thingy; the society shaped them in this form.
If we successfully vote out GEJ come 2015, we will most likely vote in an even more corrupt person. We are inherently a corrupt specie. We need a purge!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Mbediogu(m): 7:04pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nigeria Police has an appalling image. I would rather go directly to court or resort to self help than be found at Police station. Pick up any paper of your choice any day, you are sure to read about negative Police action. The 'few bad eggs' have hatched into 'many bad birds'.
We missed an opportunity to discuss Police reform at the National conference. Without Police reform there cannot be law and order because the Police as it is appears to be worse than the system it wants to reform. Case of bathe water being dirtier than the body.

4 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by kabba7(m): 7:10pm On Aug 28, 2014
allanphash7: i will rather remain jobless instead of being a Nigeria Police

Good for you, stay jobless soon you will be arested for being jobless.
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by duni04(m): 7:11pm On Aug 28, 2014
Lol funny story. Happened to me once at allen. Same scenario with the OP. These police guys have a way of smelling fear and ignorance. Once you let them know you're afraid or ignorant of the laws, they'll pounce on you. Next time, OP drag it with them on the road. Once they take you anywhere the battle is lost. Ask them the crime you've committed and tell them to produce evidence, threaten to call your lawyer in their presence. Living in Lagos is "survival of the fittest". If you don't know your rights, everybody will trample on you.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by ichidodo: 7:13pm On Aug 28, 2014
Another funny story....I unknowingly flaunted a traffic stop close to a T-junction in APO and got stucked in inbound traffic,one policeman accosted me and kept gesticulating right in front of my carhood to get down.....quietly,i had made sure to lock myself and took notice of the environment to gauge my next move....I responded in sign language that i wasnt coming down and he get out my way so i could 'fix myself' in the hold up.This back and forth turned into a major public drama when the officer lost patience with me and tried unhinging my front licence plate,Omoh!! I jam throttle,knocking the officer over my bonnet,drag him over a few meters before tossing him away like a ragdoll then dart in and out of traffic to fool any back up police car that might have witnessed the incident.I still see the officer on my way work,does he recognize me and vehicle? i don't know....
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by initialize(m): 7:13pm On Aug 28, 2014
They stopped me at Sango too, delayed me for more than 3hrs because i had several notes on me and also some of the phones I was going to deliver to my customers

We got to their station and they opened a big bottle of Ogogoro mix with milk and told me it's from my money they bought....Terrible people

Nairaland Mobile HQ || For top Quality Android phones and tablets within your budget...::::Click Here::::....
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by kabba7(m): 7:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
Mbediogu: Nigeria Police has an appalling image. I would rather go directly to court or resort to self help than be found at Police station. Pick up any paper of your choice any day, you are sure to read about negative Police action. The 'few bad eggs' have hatched into 'many bad birds'.
We missed an opportunity to discuss Police reform at the National conference. Without Police reform there cannot be law and order because the Police as it is appears to be worse than the system it wants to reform. Case of bathe water being dirtier than the body.

Silly man , so you were at the iletigimate conference by the how much from the millions from jonathan did you tske back to your miserable people back home .
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by duni04(m): 7:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
igbsam: I once almost fell victim of this act of theirs. But guess what I did. There is a barrack within the vicinity. Immediately they opened my car door and jumped into it. I central locked it and then told them that they have made the biggest mistake of their life. I then told them i'm a soldier and right away, i am going to the barrack where they would be taught a lesson they will never forget. Fortunately, I have some colleagues of mine as military personal in that barrack. I called them up and told them i am coming with some criminals to the barrack. My brothers, come see as those women dey beg me. Officer, please....we are sorry, we are very sorry. I drove them a little after the barrack, up to ifesinachi park before i warned them never in their life to try that nonsense with me and then opened the door and let them out. Come see as dem run like criminals.
Lmao! Its good to be sharp grin
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by olatade(m): 7:16pm On Aug 28, 2014
simdam500: in what chapter and verse of which holy book did u find that?

In the chapter nd verse of the holy nigerian media sir.don't u get it..ma post was a sarcastic ridicule of the police.nigerian police maltreats citizens but still say "police is your friend"

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by redcliff: 7:31pm On Aug 28, 2014
Nigeria's only single problem is [size=30pt]poverty[/size]

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by BlueMagic2(m): 7:37pm On Aug 28, 2014
4k the Nigerian Police. If only Nigeria was like the U.S where citizens are armed and are no push overs. The Nigerian police will never know who they stopping or getting into. Then they'd have some real job on their hands cos they'd be getting shot at. 4king PIGS
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by simdam500(m): 7:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
olatade:

In the chapter nd verse of the holy nigerian media sir.don't u get it..ma post was a sarcastic ridicule of the police.nigerian police maltreats citizens but still say "police is your friend"
lolz... Police is your friend too...

There's no day i com across them that i dont tell it to myself that, the one to teach them a lesson have be born, brought up even, meanwhile they are not aware... Let keep an eye on them today, hopefully they change but if they dont, tomorrow we'll teach them a lesson...

Once again police is our friend
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by coderXO(m): 7:41pm On Aug 28, 2014
debbie: FINALLY,NIGERIA HAS A LONG WAY TO GO,BUT OUR POLICE FORCE IS A TOTAL DISGRACE .

Your story na small...I should tell you my own, how I was accused of murder and child trafficking.

Their intent is to frustrate and extort you with the most absurd claims.

I slept the night in a cell for reporting a drowning of a boy who went for a swim.

I wasn't even present on the scene, had to drive some two hours to get there.

Unlucky, stupid me, I was the one who went to report the incident, and that is how
the palaver bust.

Had to pay 80k just not spend another night there...and then suddenly the case was settled.

"Disgrace" is putting it lightly.

5 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 28, 2014
ichidodo: Another funny story....I unknowingly flaunted a traffic stop close to a T-junction in APO and got stucked in inbound traffic,one policeman accosted me and kept gesticulating right in front of my carhood to get down.....quietly,i had made sure to lock myself and took notice of the environment to gauge my next move....I responded in sign language that i wasnt coming down and he get out my way so i could 'fix myself' in the hold up.This back and forth turned into a major public drama when the officer lost patience with me and tried unhinging my front licence plate,Omoh!! I jam throttle,knocking the officer over my bonnet,drag him over a few meters before tossing him away like a ragdoll then dart in and out of traffic to fool any back up police car that might have witnessed the incident.I still see the officer on my way work,does he recognize me and vehicle? i don't know....

Nairalanders n their fake stories; smh#

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Gwazah(m): 7:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
debbie: After hearing so many bad things about the Nigeria Police force,i didnt know that one day i will fall victim to their wicked and corrupt mind.
One my way yesterday in Lagos State,while my cousin was driving down the National Stadium Surulere onward to shitta and down to lawanson.As we were approaching the traffic light infront of the stadium (which had two traffic lights that work almost simultaneously),before the light changed to orange my cousin having passed the first traffic light which was few steps away from the second stopped.

In less than few seconds,three female police officers standing by came and started questioning us.
One said " why didnt you stop since and its now that the light was changing to orange that you will stop.Before we knew what was happening the other ladies jumped inside the backseat.
The second lady asked us to park in front of the stadium,but my cousin and i insisted that we didn't commit any traffic offense.Yet the refused and asked us to drive into the stadium.Because we refused, the lady started shouting that we want to kidnap her? (someone who forcefully entered your car is now raising alarm).....this was where the whole drama unfolded.

Unknown to us,they actually led us to a police station inside the National stadium.Immediately we where confronted by two men who looked hungry and unpleasant in their uniform.This was the DPO and another officer or whoever they were.They started accusing us of trying to kidnap the ladies and secondly breaking the traffic rules.Meanwhile these ladies have already disappeared and gone back to their duty post ( waiting for another victim).

The DPO told us that our offense is 80,000naira else we will be taken to alausa...at that point we felt weak and cold,knowing that this was not going to end up in a funny way.
We started pleading after trying to prove we didn't commit any offense....before we knew what was happening they called a stand by vulcanizer who deflected our tires.At this point we felt helpless and we told them we didnt have much money on us,but just about 5k ( the DPO busted into serious anger and shouted at us,that we think he is all these road side touts that can just collect anything? that is it either we pay 20k or forget the car for now)...not knowing what to do.My cousin now told the police officer to call back the guy to pump air back into those tires,let him try and figure out a way out...the vulcanizer came and said that to pump each tire is 1000 naira.This sent some cold air down my spine and i was like is this really happening or was i dreaming.The poor man told us that since it was the officer that asked him to pump the tire,he needs to buy him some cool recharge cards,so that is why he is charging us that huge amount.

My cousin started calling his office people and explaining what happened.After some minutes (thanks to the closeness of his office to the National Stadium),two of his colleagues came and demanded to speak with the DPO....who refused to entertain any discussion.

Unknown to me,they have already contacted another DPO at IJORA side,who requested to speak with the man in-charge.....while the colleagues were persuading the man to speak with the oga on phone,he started ranting that who the hell is it they want him to speak to.Afterward he collected the phone and from his salutation one could easily detect who the person on the other end was.Within some few minutes the call was over and the officer out of anger told the guy to pump back the tires and insisted he needs to settle those ladies...we said NO,BUT IT WAS OBVIOUS ANOTHER DRAMA WAS ABOUT TO BEGIN....

AFTER SPENDING OVER 3HOURS THERE,WE WERE RELEASED AND LEFT THE PLACE
THIS IS MY STORY

I wonder how many innocent citizens have fallen prey to the hands of these wicked and corrupt men who should be doing the right thing...NOT TO TALK OF THOSE LADIES WHO ARE STATIONED THERE TO CATCH VICTIMS AND DRAIN THEM OF THEIR MONEY.
I ask,what is the government doing? has it really gotten this bad? who are we to blame? even in the heart of the town such things happen and no one is speaking against it?

FINALLY,NIGERIA HAS A LONG WAY TO GO,BUT OUR POLICE FORCE IS A TOTAL DISGRACE .

U SHOULD BLAME DE YORUBAS FOR SUCH HUNGRY ACT, HONESTLY WHEN U COME TO DE NORTH THOSE HABIT ARE MINIMAL. IT IS ONLY IN IGBO OR YORUBÀ LÀND THAT SUCH HABIT IS COMMON COS THEY WANT TO MAKE MONEY.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
GenBuhari: we need Buhari

Not necessarily Buhari but we need to return to military rule.

I wish the leader of the coup de tat to be an educated military man who has studied in the US preferably or at least in the UK.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by ichidodo: 7:54pm On Aug 28, 2014
DrDauda:

Nairalanders n their fake stories; smh#
It sounds incredulous to those who are wussies and pansies....But i got away with the assault and that's all i care for right now,not your opinions and speculations.Thanx

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 28, 2014
The same thing that happened to OP happened to me in Ibadan.

It was at the roundabout at Total Gardens, I was coming down from UCH side.

As I approached the light it was green, after the light but before I got to the actual round about there was a speed bump there. My mistake in their eyes was that I slowed down to go over the speed bump.

All explanations to make them realize the folly of speeding over speed bumps fell to deaf ears.

They took me to their station and was swindled out of N1,000 (measly $6, not even worth the hassle).

They did the same jump into the backseat thing like in OP and I so wished that I had a doberman, rottweiller or pit bull sitting in the back.

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Mbediogu(m): 8:02pm On Aug 28, 2014
I dont insult people ok? I am not a politician. I was not there, I didn't need to be but my Nigerian compatriots were there who could have done the job better. When I said 'we' , what I meant was fellow Nigerians who believe in representative democracy. May God bless you for insulting someone who did not insult you.

3 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by mrrock: 8:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
The government encourage this sort of thing. Racketeering especially is a Lagos thing, the Lagos state government just turn a blind eye. You can see it everyday on Lagos roads, at bus stops, markets, e.t.c and no one cares.

1 Like

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by greggng: 8:12pm On Aug 28, 2014
I ve done it before but if I had gotten this info earlier that officer would ve been posted to bornu. They fear boko haram like mad. Untill u teach them lesson they don't learn
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 28, 2014
ichidodo: It sounds incredulous to those who are wussies and pansies....But i got away with the assault and that's all i care for right now,not your opinions and speculations.Thanx

Oga, don't be pissed, we r not fighting, I was only trying to identify your story as a pack of lie.
Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by ichidodo: 8:18pm On Aug 28, 2014
DrDauda:

Oga, don't be pissed, we r not fighting, I was only trying to identify your story as a pack of lie.
Why should one be angry at another man's opinion?? O boy,na you get your mind...live free or continue doubting yourself..

4 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by emymeeky: 8:46pm On Aug 28, 2014

Bros. I need your contact grin

2 Likes

Re: My Bitter Experience With Lagos Police by streetzdreamz(m): 8:49pm On Aug 28, 2014
Dunno which one I hate most,d job or d officers,@op dey played a fast one on u guys,never give ear to any officer requesting u to move some distance away from where d issue took place,cuz dey r obviously leading u to dia safe haven(d police station)once dey r dia dey can label u a murderer with d murder weapon insight within seconds,u'd see ursef taking a selfie for all I care...av had series of encounters with em,eventhough I avoid em like a plaque but dey just won't stop popping out like a bad coin,ma resolution about dem is dis,ts either we settle our differences right at dat spot or we both go For a ride if they are eager to jump into d vehicle,stupid hungry mofos,as if they r d only workforce in Nigeria with d least pay.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos, Osun Assemble Advocate For Yoruba Language. / Abdulsalam Badamasi Dies In Hotel In Maiduguri / 30 Days After, Reopened Borders Still Trickling Back To Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.