Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,376 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:14 AM

Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. (30295 Views)

Students Sitting On The Floor At Tafawa-Balewa University For Lectures (Photo) / Varsity Admission Crisis A Time Bomb – Iornem / Once Upon A Time JAMB: Share Your Past Experiences With JAMB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 05, 2014
IYANGBALI: see your mouth you goted C4 in english and you are making noise,I goted A2 in english when I wroted mine

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by juman(m): 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
Noise makers yoruba states governors failed woefully.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by eduxerxes: 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
WAYEC never tire to dey conduct exam?

Since I was born...WAEC! WAEC!! Poor performance by students

Now I am growing old...still same story, WAEC! Poor performance by students...

Mtcheeeeeeeew
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 05, 2014
I seek to challenge the source of this post, on the rating of the best performing student. Let me show you two results from my school.

1. Commerce B2, Economics B3, Igbo A1, Civic education A1,
Government C4, Mathematics C4, English B2, Literature B2.

2. Commerce:A1 Igbo:A1 Economics:B3 Government:B3 English:B3 Maths:C4 Literature:C4 Biology:C5

these were more outstanding than the one OP posted. I'd gladly furnish the exam number and all the details for anyone to verify.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Clinton594(m): 6:28pm On Sep 05, 2014
Mods Thanks alot for getting me to the front page. First time ever #Dancing EJEAJO
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by searay(m): 6:44pm On Sep 05, 2014
guiddoti: what are you saying?
I'm saying what I'm saying
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by litetias(m): 6:45pm On Sep 05, 2014
lilprinze: the percentage of those who pass keeps reducing every year with the rate at which it is declining next year's result may be worse. I think this is the major cause of the mass failure
“The level of
unseriousness (sic) of students is on
the high increase, because the
introduction of modern technology
has taken their time. Due to low
remuneration of teachers, they
combine business with teaching,
which also affects the output.”
Social media has actually made the young ones dumber
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 05, 2014
litetias:

I guess social media was invented in Nigeria, and no other other country has it.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Pronmix(m): 6:53pm On Sep 05, 2014
Naija students be like.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by litetias(m): 6:58pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya:

I guess social media was invented in Nigeria, and no other other country has it.
You know Nigerians always do things in the extreme. My siblings for instance are 24/7 on whatsapp, 2go, fb, ig and so on. The thing is having so many 'friends' gives them a false sense of wellness. In my teen years I read novels as big as medical and law textbooks, had real friends that were mature and we talked about real issues. Nowadays the teens are so preoccupied with sharing wizkids latest mp3s and videos they barely have time to think for themselves. You see them wearing the reigning haircut, the reigning fashion and so on. I'm just saying that social media has eroded their sense of individual thinking and without that you can't be intelligent

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 05, 2014
[quote author=adrainuche]When u fail to plan.you plan to fail, i blame the giverment ....[/quote
Me blames d gaverment... hehehe
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by mandax: 7:00pm On Sep 05, 2014
charony:
https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1665893_0000000000_jpeg12a268eeb0465609e6d74251b8290c8b

ANAMBRA STATE. ....LIGHT OF THE NATION tongue
Which nation? Nigeria? De no go like that o. Light of Biafra instead.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 7:02pm On Sep 05, 2014
litetias:
You know Nigerians always do things in the extreme. My siblings for instance are 24/7 on whatsapp, 2go, fb, ig and so on. The thing is having so many 'friends' gives them a false sense of wellness. In my teen years I read novels as big as medical and law textbooks, had real friends that were mature and we talked about real issues. Nowadays the teens are so preoccupied with sharing wizkids latest mp3s and videos they barely have time to think for themselves. You see them wearing the reigning haircut, the reigning fashion and so on. I'm just saying that social media has eroded their sense of individual thinking and without that you can't be intelligent

It's called childhood. That's what kids do EVERYWHERE. That isn't the problem.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by themmydhayhor(m): 7:03pm On Sep 05, 2014
lilprinze: the percentage of those who pass keeps reducing every year with the rate at which it is declining next year's result may be worse. I think this is the major cause of the mass failure
“The level of
unseriousness (sic) of students is on
the high increase, because the
introduction of modern technology
has taken their time. Due to low
remuneration of teachers, they
combine business with teaching,
which also affects the output.”

Support dat ur reasoning
grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Misterpaul(m): 7:04pm On Sep 05, 2014
Jerryolumide: incase u dnt knw, weac ain't the true test of knowledge
Really?..well you can also check-out the Cut Off Marks for entry Into Federal Government Colleges. Now Pay attention to the S.E. States and compare with other states/ regions some Northern states like Kebbi, Sokoto, Taraba, Yobe and Zamfara are even ridiculously low!):

Abia - Male(130) Female(130)
Adamawa - Male(62) Female(62)
Akwa-Ibom - Male(123) Female(123)
Anambra - Male(139) Female(139)[
Bauchi - Male(35) Female(35)
Bayelsa - Male(72) Female(72)
Benue - Male(111) Female(111)
Borno - Male(45) Female(45)
Cross-Rivers - Male(97) Female(97)
Delta - Male(131) Female(131)
Ebonyi - Male(112) Female(112)
Edo - Male(127) Female(127)
Ekiti - Male(119) Female(119)
Enugu - Male(134) Female(134)
Gombe - Male(58) Female(58)
Imo - Male(138) Female(138)
Jigawa - Male(44) Female(44)
Kaduna - Male(91) Female (91)
Kano - Male(67) Female(67)
Kastina - Male(60) Female(60)
Kebbi - Male(9) Female(20)
Kogi - Male(119) Female(119)
Kwara - Male(123) Female(123)
Lagos - Male(133) Female(133)
Nassarawa - Male(58) Female(58)
Niger - Male(93) Female(93)
Ogun - Male(131) Female(131)
Ondo - Male(126) Female(126)
Osun - Male(127) Female(127)
Oyo - Male(127) Female(127)
Plateau - Male(97) Female(97)
Rivers - Male(118) Female(118)
Sokoto - Male(9) Female(13)
Taraba - Male(3) Female(11)
Yobe - Male(2) Female(27)
Zamfara - Male(4) Female(2)
FCT Abuja - Male(90) Female(90)

Source: http://www.proshareng.com /news/20169/The-Scandalous-CutOff- Marks-for-Unity-Schools--FEDERAL- CHARACTER-in-Nigeria

So, why do you think the South East states has the highest cut off mark?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by litetias(m): 7:08pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya:

It's called childhood. That's what kids do EVERYWHERE. That isn't the problem.
The problem is that the kids nowadays are ruled by peer pressure. They have no minds of their own

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Hempe(m): 7:17pm On Sep 05, 2014
shocked damn!! The system is dead already just to be buried. What else do we expect, when hard work and diligency is not valued anymore. Nowadays, u hardly hear young boys and girls discussing about their studies anymore .......boys 'd rather discuss hw to earn big wht little or no wk and girls ...their boy_friends......infact things have really changed frm bad to worse.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by guiddoti: 7:20pm On Sep 05, 2014
searay: I'm saying what I'm saying
I see, one of the old babies. You had better grow fast and learn the rudiment of life.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Hempe(m): 7:22pm On Sep 05, 2014
See Nigerians, let's think. Why r d majority of d leaders in top positions frm d North whn their educational system s totally dead??
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by lilprinze: 7:25pm On Sep 05, 2014
litetias:
must especially Facebook,2go, Twitter and instagram .
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 05, 2014
litetias:
The problem is that the kids nowadays are ruled by peer pressure. They have no minds of their own
The problem is the educational system.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by litetias(m): 7:36pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya:
The problem is the educational system.
The educational system has always been shit but we still managed to do ok.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by litetias(m): 7:38pm On Sep 05, 2014
lilprinze: must especially Facebook,2go, Twitter and instagram .
I totally agree. They're like robots programmed to live their lives on social media, tweeting about every little thing. They can't function properly in the real world.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 7:44pm On Sep 05, 2014
litetias:
The educational system has always been shit but we still managed to do ok.

Just getting by is not good enough. The internet has revolutionized the education field everywhere else and smashed down doors for people who couldn't have access to information and knowledge before. And yet, just look at the front page of Nairaland. There's a dinosaur post on the front page and the comments are the stupidest things I've ever seen. "Where are the photos?" "Dinosaurs are oyinbo lies" Read comments like those then come and look at these test scores again. So many times you see people arguing stupidly because they cannot open a simple window to google the answer to a question.

If Nigeria is content to point the finger at social media, it will just fall further and further behind the rest of the world.

In undergrad, I had TWO courses that utilized Twitter in their curriculums. Ivy League. The minds behind the world's technology giants didn't have their phones taken away because they were a distraction.

I wrote my first computer program when I was 9, because my mother bought me a laptop toy with educational games. I have a young cousin whom I adore because she is a bookworm like me, and I bought her an e-reader. She has a stellar vocabulary at 14 years old.

Technology is far from the problem in Nigeria's education system. There's barely enough of it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by YACAA(f): 7:55pm On Sep 05, 2014
ak4God: Most students don have time to read anymore..They want to be like Wizkid,Davido or footballer.,so am not surprised.
I was thinking the same thing. Lots of kids mention careers in the entertainment industry when you ask them about future aspirations. And their reason is always centred around money. If only they could be motivated to excel at their studies not just to obtain good grades but also to develop the neccessary life skills one needs to be successful such as being respectful, honest, hardworking, disciplined, determined,responsible, analytical, innovative in addition to being a good team player and having tolerance and self-control.After all we have poor artistes, doctors, masons, engineers, tailors etc.
The same rate of failure is being showcased in Ghana and it is just sad.
Parents need to be more involved and interested in the upbringing of their kids, guiding them along the way. Once a teacher has accepted an appointment it means he or she has committed to impacting knowledge ( both academic and social) to their students so they are also to blame if these kids are failing. After all what objective do you set as a teacher?
Technology is not going anywhere but we can guide these kids to use it as a tool of success. This is sometimes hard to do as we as care-givers may not know how to use it profitably. But to teach you have to be willing to undertake lifelong learning.
The future of the nation depends on these kids and it is very alarming as to the quality of students the system is producing.
Let us all do our part in whatever little way we can.
Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by guiddoti: 7:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya:

Just getting by is not good enough. The internet has revolutionized the education field everywhere else and smashed down doors for people who couldn't have access to information and knowledge before. And yet, just look at the front page of Nairaland. There's a dinosaur post on the front page and the comments are the stupidest things I've ever seen. "Where are the photos?" "Dinosaurs are oyinbo lies" Read comments like those then come and look at these test scores again. So many times you see people arguing stupidly because they cannot open a simple window to google the answer to a question.

If Nigeria is content to point the finger at social media, it will just fall further and further behind the rest of the world.

In undergrad, I had TWO courses that utilized Twitter in their curriculums. Ivy League. The minds behind the world's technology giants didn't have their phones taken away because they were a distraction.

I wrote my first computer program when I was 9, because my mother bought me a laptop toy with educational games. I have a young cousin whom I adore because she is a bookworm like me, and I bought her an electronic reader. She has a stellar vocabulary at 14 years old.

Technology is far from the problem in Nigeria's education system. There's barely enough of it.
You are right. I was trying to correct one of the commentors here on issues like this shouldnt be tribalised. It is national issues on our education. I understand that social networking is no a problem to the failure but rather failure to balance social networking and school curriculum.. I have also seen where parents are encouraging exams malpractice. These are just too many to say.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by litetias(m): 7:58pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya:

So you think the educational system is responsible for all these? What if I tell you that it's all down to the things that people occupy their time with that makes them either dumb or intelligent. I gave an example of myself earlier. When I was younger I wasn't really doing what my age mates were doing in terms of meeting to talk about girls, gambling, playing video games, parties and so on. I would rather read books, write poems, articles, my diary, listen to country music, soft rock and you know all those geek stuff. As such I can stand anywhere now and have an intelligent conversation with anyone and talk about serious issues but the case is not the same for many of my agemates because they occupied themselves with the kind of stuff that does not make your intellect to grow. Just saying.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by kechywillz(m): 8:04pm On Sep 05, 2014
very long.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by gogodaye(m): 8:04pm On Sep 05, 2014
I guess with the consistency shown in the past 2 years at being at the top of the rungs of the ladder by students who wrote both NECO, JAMB & WAEC in Anambra state...Ex~Gov. Obi deserves to be commended. I'm however saddened as my instincts tell me the results of candidates from my home state~Rivers most probably constitute 85% of the 145,975 results being withheld for examination malpractices...We are damned if we can't tell the scope of the palava ahead of us as a people with these statistics

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Nobody: 8:13pm On Sep 05, 2014
MissMeiya:

I wrote my first computer program when I was 9, because my mother bought me a laptop toy with educational games. I have a young cousin whom I adore because she is a bookworm like me, and I bought her an e-reader. She has a stellar vocabulary at 14 years old.

My then 13 year old came home one day and said that "I'll need your help with this homework lesson". "Go talk to your Mum" I said. "It's on web and html Dad and Mum said to talk to you" shed said. WTF, since when do 10 year olds know about html and enough to have home work asignments on them.

So like you said, the world is moving at break neck speeds and Nigeria needs to catch up.

Nigerian kids I believe are wise to whats necessary and what their counterparts are enjoying educationally in developed countries but "na condition make crayfish bend".

I've always felt that a kid born into US/Canada/UK, etc was handed a supreme gift. Unfortunately not all of them use the opportunity.

My oldest Daughter is at Stanford, when I look at the list of students sometimes I see a lot of Nigerian names on there. I wonder if they were born here in the US like my Daughter or if they came from Nigeria at young age. I wish I could ask them to explain the differences that they see.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sitting On A Time Bomb. by Frandume4mor: 8:29pm On Sep 05, 2014
pls summarize jeeeeeeeeeesu!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Nigerian Medical Student In The Philippines Gives His First Tedx Talk.. / University Of Ibadan Churns Out 222 First Class Graduates. / 16-year-old Boy Scores 311 In Utme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.