Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? (12018 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Paternity Fraud In Nigeria: Are You Your Baby’s Daddy? / 9 Children Raised by Animals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 3:48pm On Nov 06, 2008
nike4luv:

THAT BULL, what about kids raised in other parts of Africa, why has it got to be Nigeria. It depends on the parenting, if a child is born and bread a tout, thats what he/she is going to become regardless of where you brought them up. are you trying to say you are better than us because you were raised in Nigeria?

nike, dont take everything in absolute terms and get defensive.

Have you thought about the fact that generalisations often involve the principle of 'all things being equal'?

calm down my sister
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 4:42pm On Nov 06, 2008
JustGood:

I see that mad ness runs in the blood of this animal baby Jinx.

Why do thieves plan in secret? Why is every bad thing perperated in secret?

Seeing as you are unable to think rationally, i'll break it down for you biscuit brain. If a society frowns on evil and evil people try to hide and cover their deeds, it shows that the society has some good in it. A society which allows evil to be perpetrated openly is an evil society in itself.

Now go back and apply that to my post, then read the post I was responding to and it just might start making some sense to you.

So telling your kids about sex, drugs, crime are considered evil things? You should want your kids to be prepared for what is out there in NIGERIA, in the UK, in AMERICA. Say what you may, you deny things and kids will get curious and go out and seek their own truth. Why shouldn't they come to you? I think this is a black issue, mainly. TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN, we are quick to want to hit them (and get mad because the laws say we can't - which is not true).

I rather inform my children truthfully than have others do it for me. At least I know I've done all I could do. Keeping things a secret works for so long the truth will come out and be just - if not more, destructive.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by BabyJinx: 4:46pm On Nov 06, 2008
JustGood:

I see that mad ness runs in the blood of this animal baby Jinx.

Lmao! Typical response from a little man who knows he has no leg t stand on. Tee hee hee

I hope it is not just the immediate family bloodlines you are talking about here oooh, Please tell me you mean my whole family. . . from the generation since time started. Do you want names. . . . will that help you think the sting of your insults carries weight? Look, my man just tell me, okay. Anything to help you feel better about yourself. . . . Insecurity and idiocy with a side of knowing you are a joke must be the worst.

Seeing as you are unable to think rationally, i'll break it down for you biscuit brain. If a society frowns on evil and evil people try to hide and cover their deeds, it shows that the society has some good in it.

Speaking of idiocy and erratic point making, this is not what you were advocating. Your point was that even though us Nigerians are doing these "Evil things like the westerners", we are better than them because we choose to do it in secret. . . it is comfortable to do it in secret. This you block head is what I called you out on, this does not make us a good society, it makes us Hypocrites. Why not bring it out in the open and address it instead of doing it secret, wiping our mouth before then coming out in public. Does that make any sense to you. . . you thick headed silly, silly man? Does it? Goodness, it is better to hide the ills and pretend we are good than talk about it openly and address it. . . who thinks like that??

Why do thieves plan in secret? Why is every bad thing perpetrated in secret?

Again with you completely off point examples! Thieves planning in secret is different from people knowing thieves plan in secret and pretending they don't know because doing otherwise makes them uncomfortable.

Ay! You just keep burying that ya head in the sand, eh? No wonder you can't "listen" to reason. . . you ears are filled it granite.

A society which allows evil to be perpetrated openly is an evil society in itself.

Perpetuate evil? Sweetie, perpetuating evil is KNOWING it is happening yet looking the other way and pretending it isn't. Perpetuating evil is being relived it is done in secret.

Now go back and apply that to my post, then read the post I was responding to and it just might start making some sense to you.

Rotflmao! Me thinks somebody needs take their own advice!! wink
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 4:54pm On Nov 06, 2008
Baby jinx, u sound polite to me, I like that, even when u are being insulted, u showed maturity by not responding with insults. I applaud you. Are u male or female?
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 5:08pm On Nov 06, 2008
Baby Jinx:

Speaking of idiocy and erratic point making, this is not what you were advocating. Your point was that even though us Nigerians are doing these "Evil things like the westerners", we are better than them because we choose to do it in secret. . . it is comfortable to do it in secret. This you block head is what I called you out on, this does not make us a good society, it makes us Hypocrites. Why not bring it out in the open and address it instead of doing it secret, wiping our mouth before then coming out in public. Does that make any sense to you. . . you thick headed silly, silly man? Does it? Goodness, it is better to hide the ills and pretend we are good than talk about it openly and address it. . . who thinks like that??

Again with you completely off point examples! Thieves planning in secret is different from people knowing thieves plan in secret and pretending they don't know because doing otherwise makes them uncomfortable.

Ay! You just keep burying that ya head in the sand, eh? No wonder you can't "listen" to reason. . . you ears are filled it granite.

Perpetuate evil? Sweetie, perpetuating evil is KNOWING it is happening yet looking the other way and pretending it isn't. Perpetuating evil is being relived it is done in secret.

Rotflmao! Me thinks somebody needs take their own advice!! wink

Now I can safely conclude that this is a mad woman who is incapable of thinking straight. Baby Jinxed, you're already jinxed in the department of thinking.

You have decided to twist everything I said meaninglessly in the hope that you will have some of your fans clapping for you. However, I'm sure some of your fans will see the stupidity of your attempt to twist and turn things just because you cant use your brain
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 5:10pm On Nov 06, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

So telling your kids about sex, drugs, crime are considered evil things? You should want your kids to be prepared for what is out there in NIGERIA, in the UK, in AMERICA. Say what you may, you deny things and kids will get curious and go out and seek their own truth. Why shouldn't they come to you? I think this is a black issue, mainly. TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN, we are quick to want to hit them (and get mad because the laws say we can't - which is not true).

I rather inform my children truthfully than have others do it for me. At least I know I've done all I could do. Keeping things a secret works for so long the truth will come out and be just - if not more, destructive.

Fans arriving. . .

Have you read through my posts before opening your gullet?
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 5:14pm On Nov 06, 2008
bawomolo stated
isn't the nigerian family unit breaking down with increasing urbanization.  extended family networks are becoming a thing of the past. we probably would soon end up like americans who only meet on christmas or thanksgiving

this is a big lie considering how western influences are common among the nigerian youth.  we aren't that morally superior to the west. we just hide it better.

I replied:
The Nigerian family unit is surely breaking down but there is no proof that western influence does not play a part in that.

I did not say we are morally superior to the west. You're very defensive and jumping to conclusions because what I said did not imply that. I said racy scenes are common occurences in normal western media. Most of those scenes will not appear on normal Nigerian movies - do we need to go into examples to prove this? No need

By the way, isn't it better for anything uncomely to be done in secret? Is one of the plagues of Nigeria not the fact that corruption is done openly? If something has to be conducted secretly, it shows that it is generally regarded as not acceptable

Do you understand the meaning of the part in bold?
Is that last paragraph too difficult to understand? OK. sorry I am not a primary school book writer

Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by girl22(f): 5:22pm On Nov 06, 2008
the complain of racism

Nobody complains about racism more than black americans.

Are you telling me you have never faced racism from the other races

no actually laitnos, native americans and jewish people do it too
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 5:27pm On Nov 06, 2008
Justgood, I ain't no one's fan, but when I see positive things, I commend the person involved, you can try to be less insulting, more civil, yet drive in your point solidly. People can't always think the way you do. I know you understand that. I am noting yours and other people's points and I am getting results from them. Just try to be civil, that's all
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 5:30pm On Nov 06, 2008
Girl22, I think you posted this comment under the wrong topic. Mistake from your part I guess?
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 5:46pm On Nov 06, 2008
JustGood:

I see that madness runs in the blood of this animal baby Jinx.

Why do thieves plan in secret? Why is every bad thing perperated in secret?

Seeing as you are unable to think rationally, i'll break it down for you biscuit brain. I[b]f a society frowns on evil and evil people try to hide and cover their deeds, it shows that the society has some good in it. A society which allows evil to be perpetrated openly is an evil society in itself.[/b]

@JustGood, I was commentating on THAT. That logic is flawed and I appreciate you address me (as well as the others here who aren't mudslinging with you) with respect!

The problem is people only want to educate in degrees. You need to do more than just that, just because you dare not want to speak on it doesn't mean it's not happening.

Grow up. The information is there don't be too ashamed to use it.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 6:10pm On Nov 06, 2008
@honeric, how we all do misunderstand ourselves online. the fans comment was never directed at you. i'm sorry if you feel it was intended for you.

truth is, the woman knows there is a reason she jumped at my post before thinking. there's a history there which you are not aware of and I have tried to avoid such women on this forum since I realise what they are.

I dont insult people unnecessarily but I always speak back if someone insults me; not a great attribute I know but I cant help it much yet. I'm trying to learn to ignore but this online thing is something i'm not yet used to
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 6:15pm On Nov 06, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

@JustGood, I was commentating on THAT. That logic is flawed and I appreciate you address me (as well as the others here who aren't mudslinging with you) with respect!

The problem is people only want to educate in degrees. You need to do more than just that, just because you dare not want to speak on it doesn't mean it's not happening.

Grow up. The information is there don't be too ashamed to use it.

you are the one who needs to do some growing up. You still cant understand the point I'm making there. I guess I need to re-jig the sentence.

A society which frowns on evil and does not allow evil to be displayed blatantly has some element of good in it.

by the way, have you read the whole thing in context or are you just jumping because your women's lib champion has started to beat drums?
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by BabyJinx: 6:15pm On Nov 06, 2008
Eeya! JustGood, you know coming up for air from the sand once in a while is okay, it doesn't mean you can't still pretend that reality isn't reality. Just turn a blind eye, turn a deaf ear or both. . . whatever, just get your head out of the sand.

Let's back up shall we and see who is twisting words here

You wrote this. . .

The environment and culture certainly influences the way a child grows up.

Now, what is considered proper in a place may be deemed improper elsewhere. What is seen on normal daytime TV in UK and America dare not be filmed in Nigeria. Very racy scenes have become 'normal' in the west whereas Nigerians are not too exposed to such scenes.

Believe it or not, those things influence thought patterns.

Totally ignoring the fact that TV is not the only medium kids learn from, you ignore the fact that because children are naturally curious they will seek out information, You ignore the fact that majority of these kids aren't really interested in our type of entertainment, if they were. . . we won't have a high demand for cable in homes. YOU IGNORE THIS and this is why Bawo made this point

this is a big lie considering how western influences are common among the nigerian youth.  we aren't that morally superior to the west. we just hide it better.

To which in your finite wisdom, god bless your soul, you responded by saying this

I did not say we are morally superior to the west. You're very defensive and jumping to conclusions because what I said did not imply that. I said racy scenes are common occurences in normal western media. Most of those scenes will not appear on normal Nigerian movies - do we need to go into examples to prove this? No need

By the way, isn't it better for anything uncomely to be done in secret? Is one of the plagues of Nigeria not the fact that corruption is done openly? If something has to be conducted secretly, it shows that it is generally regarded as not acceptable.

Where yet again you IGNORE the fact that even though we aren't as racy or as open about certain subject matters on our TV, the children still know these things. You applaud the fact that whatever they are doing is done in secret because it makes it easy for us to chill comfortably.

Dundee United, what was the purpose of bringing up the fact that Nigerian corruption is done so openly is a plague to our society if it wasn't to press home your asinine point that, it would have been better to do it in secret?

Please explain to us how you can easily contradict yourself there. . .  because if we are to go by your initial If something is conducted in secret, it is generally regarded as not acceptable theory, This would make corruption acceptable, seeing as it is done openly, no?

Please oga JustGood. . . tell us ooh, obviously we have not descended that far into the depth of stupidity to understand the workings of your mind.

Ughhh! Oh man! breaking down your post kind of makes me see you for what you are. . . a confused little man who does not know if he is going or coming. I should have guess when you resorted to insulting my generation past and present. Awww, now I feel bad. . . Jinxi is sorry okay . Forgive, Jinxi? You want Jinxi to make it up to you? Okay I will make it up to you. . . My great grandfather's name (the one who born my daddy's mama) is Rasheed. . . Abdul Rasheed. His own papa is Abdul Mumin (yeah, they like Abdul), Anyway, with them two, you can't go wrong cursing out Jinxi the Jinx and her bloodlines.

Now rock on jare, my slow-witted yet adorable Naija brother
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by BabyJinx: 6:21pm On Nov 06, 2008
honeric01:

Baby jinx, u sound polite to me, I like that, even when u are being insulted, u showed maturity by not responding with insults. I applaud you. Are u male or female?

Lol! I do insult oh, Aaah. . . don't try me grin

I just have the good sense and proper home training not to insult people's parents and family even if it's online and the chances I'll ever meet them in real life is slim to none.

Baby Jinx the Jinxi. . . my brother, I say if we see any guy bearing that name even if it's on the internet, we get together and flog him good!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 6:26pm On Nov 06, 2008
JustGood:

you are the one who needs to do some growing up. You still can't understand the point I'm making there. I guess I need to re-jig the sentence.

A society which frowns on evil and does not allow evil to be displayed blatantly has some element of good in it.

by the way, have you read the whole thing in context or are you just jumping because your women's lib champion has started to beat drums?

I can speak and think for my self. I like Baby Jinx but we don't agree on everything - which is fine, so let's not get that twisted.

I understood what you said prior too and it is still flawed. There is no good in keeping things secret that could potentially help the younger generation.

You either share the resources or let them be found on their own, which is usually detrimental.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 6:43pm On Nov 06, 2008
Lurker,

It's a matter of (writing)semantics.

Doing something in secret because society frowns on it is different from just having a secret way of doing things. It is not about keeping things secret - it's about the fact that it's not acceptable and so perpetrators have to hide in order to do it

Evils things are always concocted in secret!

I dont know how else to explain it to you
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 6:46pm On Nov 06, 2008
I've been understanding what you are saying. I still don't agree with it. To me, it sounds like a water downed excuse.

Own your stuff.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 6:55pm On Nov 06, 2008
Okay, we should start letting all evil be done unashamedly so that we can have our children like majority of those abroad.

Hope that makes you happy grin

Oya start showing your children x-rated movies and let them watch saucy scenes so that they can experiment and become more experienced grin
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by BabyJinx: 7:04pm On Nov 06, 2008
JustGood:

Lurker,

It's a matter of (writing)semantics.

Doing something in secret because society frowns on it is different from just having a secret way of doing things. It is not about keeping things secret - it's about the fact that it's not acceptable and so perpetrators have to hide in order to do it

Evils things are always concocted in secret!

I don't know how else to explain it to you

Finally!!!!!

You have explained it like this instead of descending into the depths you did.  grin grin

Still don't agree with you. . . . people hiding their evil doings does not a make society better, it only makes it a society where people hide their evil doings but we'll leave it for now coz it opens a whole new discussion like what exactly are these "evils" not shown on TV? Is the same kinds of evil that they witness when they step out of the house. . . like murder (dead body on the streets) violence (like people figting and breaking each other heads with both bottles in the market place), sexual abuse (Hearing that a DG slept with an 11 yrs old or dirty uncles touching children inappropriately) but like I said, we won't talk about that now.

Now come here and give Jinxi a hug

Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 7:41pm On Nov 06, 2008
@babyjinx, nowadays anybody can bear anyname, that's why I had to ask to be sure if I was talking to a male, female, transgendered, babymale or babyfemale Lol, I still would rebuke you if I find you wanting in the area of insulting people just to drive home your point so now that you didn't, I still commend you. You hear?
@justgood, something or some people get on our nerves by the things they say or do but the best thing we should try doing is to keep cool while maintaining our maturity. We are all here to share and learn, no one is perfect and no one can claim to know it all.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by BabyJinx: 7:56pm On Nov 06, 2008
honeric01:

@babyjinx, nowadays anybody can bear anyname, that's why I had to ask to be sure if I was talking to a male, female, transgendered, babymale or babyfemale Lol,  I still would rebuke you if I find you wanting in the area of insulting people just to drive home your point so now that you didn't, I still commend you. You hear?

This She Female says. . .  Coolioooo
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 8:22pm On Nov 06, 2008
JustGood:

Okay, we should start letting all evil be done unashamedly so that we can have our children like majority of those abroad.

Hope that makes you happy grin

Oya start showing your children x-rated movies and let them watch saucy scenes so that they can experiment and become more experienced grin

I'm sorry to say but Nigerians are as innocent as you'd like to claim. I believe letting people feel okay in discussing topics gets rid of the taboo stigma that is attached to things. You don't have to advocate GOING out and doing it but you don't act like it doesn't exist either.

If so, prepare for your glass house to crumble around you.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 2:03am On Nov 07, 2008
Baby Jinx:

This She Female says. . . Coolioooo
Better "she female" i see,

Ms. Lurker:

I'm sorry to say but Nigerians are as innocent as you'd like to claim. I believe letting people feel okay in discussing topics gets rid of the taboo stigma that is attached to things. You don't have to advocate GOING out and doing it but you don't act like it doesn't exist either.

If so, prepare for your glass house to crumble around you.

abeg rest your case, some arguement can't be won, if you encounter such, just try to take your time,
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 12:08pm On Nov 07, 2008
whenever some people try to justify anything unjustifiable, they ascribe what others have not said to them. I see this trait in a peculiar kind of people on this forum.

Where exactly did I say that we should pretend as if there is no evil in our society?

What I said was that you dont see the kind of racy scenes on Nigerian movies that you find on American TV. If some people's minds are too shallow and cant reason well, it's not my fault.

If I always have to go through 1+1 everytime before I can say 2, it becomes difficult to communicate
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by SisiJinx: 3:58pm On Nov 07, 2008
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 4:23pm On Nov 07, 2008
JustGood:

whenever some people try to justify anything unjustifiable, they ascribe what others have not said to them. I see this trait in a peculiar kind of people on this forum.

Where exactly did I say that we should pretend as if there is no evil in our society?

What I said was that you don't see the kind of racy scenes on Nigerian movies that you find on American TV. If some people's minds are too shallow and can't reason well, it's not my fault.

If I always have to go through 1+1 everytime before I can say 2, it becomes difficult to communicate

Right, right, your argument still doesn't wash. I'll listen to honeric and leave you to your thinking.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 5:03pm On Nov 07, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

Right, right, your argument still doesn't wash. I'll listen to honeric and leave you to your thinking.

thanks.

just go your way with your thinking. Even your women's lib leader has seen the point
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by SisiJinx: 5:24pm On Nov 07, 2008
Tee hee hee. . . Am I the woman libber leader? Awww, me and my other self . . .  but let's not get it twisted, I DO NOT SEE  YOUR POINT because you do NOT have one. You dabble at the edge of one but you never really get there.

It's not 1+1 = 2 with you, it's 1+ Oranges = Exploding calculator

Yeah, Yeah we know. . . we just don't understand you because we are women with madness running in our bloodline and we are responding back instead of cowering in fear. Fine, whatever. . . anything to make you feel better but anyone with enough sense knows the issue here is you have a problem communicating and it get worse when you are talking to women.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 5:32pm On Nov 07, 2008
JustGood:

thanks.

just go your way with your thinking. Even your women's lib leader has seen the point

HA! I don't have a leader. I have my own mind and thoughts. Just because you aren't clear with yours doesn't mean I lap behind some other person to get mine out.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 5:32pm On Nov 07, 2008
maybe I do need to go back to 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 and then to 1 + 1 = 2.

Why would evil people feel the need to act their evil deeds if society does not frown on it? A society where evil deeds are condeoned is the one where evil deeds are openly exhibited without shame or fear
now go back and read the contaxt of everything else!

biko, I tire for elementary school teaching jare.

Bye bye
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by Elgaxton(m): 7:44am On Nov 08, 2008
To me o, train up a child in Nigeria at least make e get sense then u can send them abroad to study in a tertiary instistution,

Parent and Location matters a lot, even when training the kid in Nigeria u have to be careful of the environment too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

After 10YEARS God Blessed My Uncle And His Wife With A Big Boy / Husband Demands N3M From Divorce-seeking Wife At Sharia Court In Sokoto / 2-Year- Old Playing On 100ft-high Balcony Ledge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.