Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? (12019 Views)

10 Things You Can Relate With If You Were Raised By Nigerian Parents / Paternity Fraud In Nigeria: Are You Your Baby’s Daddy? / 9 Children Raised by Animals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by presido1: 12:50pm On Nov 03, 2008
Well try and search channel4 for this programme "The Family"
You can watch it online then let us know your view.

Here is the link. http://www.channel4.com/video/the-family/catchup.html
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 2:28pm On Nov 03, 2008
In my own further view, I think the government has already limited the right of the parents in discipline their wards with not too accurate laws and conditions and this affect the manner of upbringing
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by BabyJinx: 3:48pm On Nov 03, 2008
Parenting. . . Good parenting transcends time and space. A good parent is a good parent is a good parent and a bad parent  undecided

Parents to Blame for Moral Decadence Among Youth - Clair Mark-Odu

Let's look at moral decadence in the society. Some blame the parents, what is your take on it?

I was once interviewed by some people, about husband, helping at home and the short reply I gave was that they should hold the mothers responsible. We women hold a lot of responsibilities. In fact it was even given to us from creation. Basically, we the mothers are to be blamed 80 percent. Also, the fathers, who are supposed to be there to act the strong figure, to show discipline, but the other 20 percent when you now become an individual because the creator has also given us the freewill to choose and become who we want to become. We are told in the Bible also that the sins of the fathers can no longer be visited upon the children, and whatever thing you do becomes your own responsibility while your parents who failed to guide the children will pay for their own sins. The matured adult will pay for their own sin, which they have committed, so it's a two-way something.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 6:29pm On Nov 03, 2008
I think it's up to the parents.
I think my family was strict but they also knew that there were some things that they couldn't teach us. All they could do was instill in us the ways that they felt we should be able to handle things.

Have I done things I shouldn't have. Yes. But I also witnessed alot of things that forever burned into my mind what my parent's taught was proven in facts. So now, I thank them.

I don't think the family should discipline my child. If anything, they should tell me what's up and I'll handle it.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 6:46pm On Nov 03, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

I think it's up to the parents.
I think my family was strict but they also knew that there were some things that they couldn't teach us. All they could do was instill in us the ways that they felt we should be able to handle things.

Have I done things I shouldn't have. Yes. But I also witnessed alot of things that forever burned into my mind what my parent's taught was proven in facts. So now, I thank them.

I don't think the family should discipline my child. If anything, they should tell me what's up and I'll handle it.

Are you in Nigeria? if yes, then that part i put in bold letters to you can't really work except if you are not a family type, your mom can never wait for you to come first before she corrects your erring child, it can happen in other countries but certainly not in Nigeria because we value our family love and binding
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by BabyJinx: 7:51pm On Nov 03, 2008
honeric01:

Are you in Nigeria? if yes, then that part i put in bold letters to you can't really work except if you are not a family type, your mom can never wait for you to come first before she corrects your erring child, it can happen in other countries but certainly not in Nigeria because we value our family love and binding

Most Def! Hence the "It takes a village to raise a child" saying.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by Gamine(f): 8:56pm On Nov 03, 2008
The Family

There is no institution like the family.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 9:12pm On Nov 03, 2008
I can see what you mean about family (in a way) BUT an entire village. I am not fond of that.

Anyway, what works for some may not work for others. smiley
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 9:16pm On Nov 03, 2008
Gamine:

The Family

There is no institution like the family.
that's it no institution like that, if you mess for where elders dey for Nigeria, one of them will give you knock on your head just to let you know it's wrong to do that in front of elders lol
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by ilaugh1: 9:41pm On Nov 03, 2008
shout and rake all you want, kids raised in N igeria are better anyday than kids raised abroad, kids raised in Nigeria are respectful, kids raised abroad are so dis respectful, they can slap their parents all in the name of freeedom and liberty, ever wonder why Nigerian parents spank their kids when they are on holiday in Nigeria, because they know that instills some discipline into them, because when they get outside Nigeriam they are left to rot and get oriented by the society, by the school, and by friends, and we all know what is in the society abroad, its all sex, booze, hooliganism, teenage sex, teenage crime, teenage parents and death.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by plusQueen: 9:43pm On Nov 03, 2008
The same NIgerian kids that use their bottoms to pay school fees and buy recharge cards from Unimaid to Oko Polytechnic
The same ones that end up in Italy doing ashewo?
The same ones doing 419 all over the place
The same ones holding up  ABC buses at Gun point
The same ones cutting up citizens using their private parts for rituals to fortify themselves and make money
The same kids that killed my own cousin at ESUT and his body is yet to return to us for burial
better behaved my hammer toes grin

Kids are a product of their upbringing
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by ilaugh1: 10:04pm On Nov 03, 2008
plus_Queen:

The same NIgerian kids that use their bottoms to pay school fees and buy recharge cards from Unimaid to Oko Polytechnic
The same ones that end up in Italy doing ashewo?
The same ones doing 419 all over the place
The same ones holding up  ABC buses at Gun point
The same ones cutting up citizens using their private parts for rituals to fortify themselves and make money
The same kids that killed my own cousin at ESUT and his body is yet to return to us for burial
better behaved my hammer toes grin

Kids are a product of their upbringing

Your posts contradict itself - Mrs Yoruba Yoruba - the ogumba 3 of Isiewu joint.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 10:31pm On Nov 03, 2008
Parents, please read this link, it might help you decide what to do with your kids
http://news.aol.com/health/article/teen-pregnancy-linked-to-racy-tv-shows/235779
American people are trying to discover where they got it wrong
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by TPS360: 11:22pm On Nov 03, 2008
Its doesnt matter whether you raise your kids in nigeria or the united states. It is the way you raise your kids that really matters not the country
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 11:34pm On Nov 03, 2008
http://news.aol.com/elections/article/obamas-grandmother-passes-away/236698?icid=100214839x1211991757x1200751347

I just read it too,

CAN PEOPLE PLS GO TO AOL AND TRY READING THEIR COMMENT BLOG? I DARE ANYONE HERE,

RACISM HAS IT HEADQUARTER IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, EVEN WHEN SOMEONE LOST HIS GRANDMOTHER, THEY STILL SAY SHIT ABOUT HIM AND ABOUT HIS DEAD GRANDMOTHER, MY GOD, MANY AMERICAN REPUBLIC PARTY SUPPORTERS ARE JUST SET OF SAD AND PATHETIC BUNCH OF PEOPLE
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 7:08am On Nov 04, 2008
There are sad people worldwide not just in the United States.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by luckyme9(f): 9:36am On Nov 04, 2008
@-laugh, I disagree with you in the sense that I have seen some very well behaved kids raised in the US
Far better that some kids in Nigeria. I believe 75% is in the hands of the parent. The remaining 25% is between the kind of child and the environment. I've seen a set of twins raised in the same home one is a doctor and the other one is serving life in jail.
I'm raising 4 in the US as I speak. Each time we come home I get the best compliments you can imagine on the upbringing of the children. Because there is no housegirl in America, they have learnt how to do a whole lot at there age. My thirteen year old cooks soup when everything is ready. I can call home on my way back from work and have my eleven year old cook rice. I can keep talking all night long. My 17 nephew and can't do all of that without supervision.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 11:32am On Nov 04, 2008
The environment and culture certainly influences the way a child grows up.

Now, what is considered proper in a place may be deemed improper elsewhere. What is seen on normal daytime TV in UK and America dare not be filmed in Nigeria. Very racy scenes have become 'normal' in the west whereas Nigerians are not too exposed to such scenes.

Believe it or not, those things influence thought patterns.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by honeric01(m): 1:25pm On Nov 04, 2008
That's why i posted that link so people would see what americans themselves have discovered,
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by slyk2(m): 2:46pm On Nov 04, 2008
yesoooooooooooooooooooo!
at least them no go dey call police for them parents
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by bawomolo(m): 3:55pm On Nov 04, 2008
Most Def! Hence the "It takes a village to raise a child" saying

isn't the nigerian family unit breaking down with increasing urbanization.  extended family networks are becoming a thing of the past. we probably would soon end up like americans who only meet on christmas or thanksgiving.

Very racy scenes have become 'normal' in the west whereas Nigerians are not too exposed to such scenes.

this is a big lie considering how western influences are common among the nigerian youth. we aren't that morally superior to the west. we just hide it better.

1 Like

Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 5:08pm On Nov 04, 2008
bawomolo:

isn't the nigerian family unit breaking down with increasing urbanization. extended family networks are becoming a thing of the past. we probably would soon end up like americans who only meet on christmas or thanksgiving.

this is a big lie considering how western influences are common among the nigerian youth. we aren't that morally superior to the west. we just hide it better.

The Nigerian family unit is surely breaking down but there is no proof that western influence does not play a part in that.

I did not say we are morally superior to the west. You're very defensive and jumping to conclusions because what I said did not imply that. I said racy scenes are common occurences in normal western media. Most of those scenes will not appear on normal Nigerian movies - do we need to go into examples to prove this? No need

By the way, isn't it better for anything uncomely to be done in secret? Is one of the plagues of Nigeria not the fact that corruption is done openly? If something has to be conducted secretly, it shows that it is generally regarded as not acceptable.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 5:13pm On Nov 04, 2008
So corruption is acceptable?
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by plusQueen: 5:22pm On Nov 04, 2008
i_laugh:

Your posts contradict itself - Mrs Yoruba Yoruba - the ogumba 3 of Isiewu joint.

Because I spoke the truth you called me Yoruba Yoruba?
Nigerian  born kids are not in any way better morally.
Like I said earlier,in University campuses all across,ashewo work is the other of the day for the females.
In offices all across the nation even married women use bottom power to get ahead.
nonsense!!
Do you have an idea the rate of infertility amongst young Nigerian girls of nowadays?
do you know how many ectopic pregnancies from untreated std's
so many of those girls you people see around have no more fallopian tubes left.
Pray all you want for a child,your woman is a man by her own making.

make I hear word
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 5:53pm On Nov 04, 2008
Ms. Lurker:

So corruption is acceptable?

What other language would you prefer that I write for you to understand?
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by MsLurker(f): 5:59pm On Nov 04, 2008
JustGood:

What other language would you prefer that I write for you to understand?

Your statement had an error in it, darling.

I hope so anyway, or I believe you may have contradicted yourself.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by ilaugh1: 8:12pm On Nov 04, 2008
plus_Queen:

Because I spoke the truth you called me Yoruba Yoruba?
Nigerian  born kids are not in any way better morally.
Like I said earlier,in University campuses all across,ashewo work is the other of the day for the females.
In offices all across the nation even married women use bottom power to get ahead.
nonsense!!
Do you have an idea the rate of infertility amongst young Nigerian girls of nowadays?
do you know how many ectopic pregnancies from untreated std's
so many of those girls you people see around have no more fallopian tubes left.
Pray all you want for a child,your woman is a man by her own making.

make I hear word

and your people for America and Europe nko? including you? You get womb self? as he be say na for Naija you grow up?
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by NaijaBarbi(f): 8:22pm On Nov 04, 2008
Here we go again. another post to start a verbal war. this "who is better?" shyt is getting old, and is quite frankly all i see these days in Nairaland-another way to boost EVERYONES inflated ego. I wonder why its even on the front page? Come up with better topics jare, no one is better than the next person because of where they are raised( NAIJA OR YANKEE). Get over yourselves for the LOVE OF GOD.  undecided
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by BabyJinx: 9:33pm On Nov 04, 2008
By the way, isn't it better for anything uncomely to be done in secret?

I have heard and read all sorts of warped logic but this takes the cake!

Heaven please us!

Let’s not talk about it, let’s bury our heads in the sand and pretend it does not exist because it makes us uncomfortable. . . and if we are forced to face the fact that it is happening, let’s thank heavens it is done in secret?? Really?

Wow!!

Let’s talk about the Nudity on TV.

Do you know that Europeans TV makes no qualms about Nudity? Their commercials their TV shows, their movies. . . Nudity shown and sex is so openly discussed? How has that affected them? How have their children fared compared to other countries. . . Say America?

I’ll tell you. . .

Adolescent Pregnancy, Birth, and Abortion Rates in Europe Outshine Those in the United States!!!

www.advocatesforyouth.org/PUBLICATIONS/factsheet/fsest.htm+Adolescent+reproductive+health+in+europe&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us">Adolescent Sexual Health in Europe and the US.—Why the Difference?

What does this mean? In simple English. . . The Pregnancy, Birth, abortion, STD Rates are LOWER. By your logic, it should be the other way around shouldn’t it??!!!

Now if Europe, where their lack of under g-ness will make the most liberal person blush, has a lower rate in “child corruption“. . . Compared to your compared to YOUR BIG, BAD AMERICA. One can only imagine how Nigeria compares. Oh wait, you don’t have to imagine. . . You can see it yourself.

www.advocatesforyouth.org/PUBLICATIONS/factsheet/fsnigeria.pdf+Adolescent+reproductive+health+in+Nigeria&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us">Nigerian Teens Face Reproductive and Sexual Health Risks.

The rates are SIGNIFICANTLY HIGER than America’s . . . let’s not even talk of Europe.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not say we should start showing nudity all over the place. . . Obviously, it is not our culture but please, please, please don’t think burying our heads in the sand is doing us any favors.

Nigerian parent don’t sit down and talk to their kids about sex, they act like they don’t even know what it is, let alone do it. We see sex as a bad thing, something that should only be talked about in the dark corners of a bush somewhere and we wonder why most children are ready to JUMP into it with both feet as soon as they can. Might as well have a big neon sign flashing "HAVE SEX AND PLENTY OF IT"

I am not saying American children are better or vice versa. . . My point still falls back on parenting.

If all of that is too much for you to process, think of like A mom who makes sure her kids are well fed before leaving the house, so when they get out there, they won’t be easily enticed.

By the way, isn't it better for anything uncomely to be done in secret?

No it isn’t!
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by nike4luv(f): 9:56pm On Nov 04, 2008
THAT BULL, what about kids raised in other parts of Africa, why has it got to be Nigeria. It depends on the parenting, if a child is born and bread a tout, thats what he/she is going to become regardless of where you brought them up. are you trying to say you are better than us because you were raised in Nigeria?
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by IBEXY(m): 3:27pm On Nov 06, 2008
The government has a hand in spoiling kids in "some foreign countries". Imagine passing a law that says you cannot reprimand your own kid. Discipline is not a softly softly thing. Discipline requires seriousness and a "little slap on the wrist or bum" sometimes. Once you remove that and allow the kids to know it, there goes the respect for parents or any form of authority.
Re: Children Raised In Nigeria Are Better? by JustGood(m): 3:44pm On Nov 06, 2008
I see that madness runs in the blood of this animal baby Jinx.

Why do thieves plan in secret? Why is every bad thing perperated in secret?

Seeing as you are unable to think rationally, i'll break it down for you biscuit brain. If a society frowns on evil and evil people try to hide and cover their deeds, it shows that the society has some good in it. A society which allows evil to be perpetrated openly is an evil society in itself.

Now go back and apply that to my post, then read the post I was responding to and it just might start making some sense to you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Husband Demands N3M From Divorce-seeking Wife At Sharia Court In Sokoto / 2-Year- Old Playing On 100ft-high Balcony Ledge / Ways To Deal With Changes In Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.