Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,692 members, 7,820,416 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan (31515 Views)

A Nlander Experience Buying A Prescribed Drug From A Drug Store That Dint Work. / ZMapp - The Experimental Ebola Drug - Cures American Doctors / Call On The Nigerian Governemt To Request For Ebola Drug From USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 10:07pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:

Our application for Zmapp was turned down prior to the 50% survival rate u speak of .

Not true. Nobody turned Nigeria down. The reason was clear, they didn't have enough ZMAPP in production. They likely gave the remaining ones to treat Ebola patients in Liberia and other places where the situation was worse than the one in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by phreakabit(m): 10:10pm On Sep 02, 2014
Liekiller:

Err...the epidemic has been going on for 6 months

Not in Nigeria. . . .
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by ceejayluv(m): 10:15pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:

Not in Nigeria. . . .
This is not a "Nigeria" problem... It's a global threat.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by phreakabit(m): 10:16pm On Sep 02, 2014
all4naija:
Not true. Nobody turned Nigeria down. The reason was clear, they didn't have enough ZMAPP in production. They likely give the remaining ones to treat Ebola patients in Liberia and other places where the situation is worse than the one in Nigeria.
Don't let emotion preceded over reason. Zmapp supplies were exhausted on 2 Americans, yet it was available for a Spanish priest. . . . Exhausted again until a Brit got infected, and then 3 Liberian based health workers ( one Nigerian) were given Zmapp after much pondering and deliberations. Still had enough Zmapp for 18 monkeys though. . Just saying. BTW don't "Zmapp tobacco thingy take 4 months to grow "?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by phreakabit(m): 10:18pm On Sep 02, 2014
ceejayluv:
This is not a "Nigeria" problem... It's a global threat.

True but charity begins at home (The capital of West Africa). If it goes bad here, Africa should brace up for a shitstorm!
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Liekiller(f): 10:20pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:

Not in Nigeria. . . .

yeah so what? It's the same virus.
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by phreakabit(m): 10:22pm On Sep 02, 2014
Liekiller:

yeah so what? It's the same virus.

Pole vault!
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 10:22pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:
Don't let emotion preceded over reason. Zmapp supplies were exhausted on 2 Americans, yet it was available for a Spanish priest. . . . Exhausted again until a Brit got infected, and then 3 Liberian based health workers ( one Nigerian) were given Zmapp after much pondering and deliberations. Still had enough Zmapp for 18 monkeys though. . Just saying.

You are lying! I followed the news. The one that was given to the priest was done before Nigeria health minister even requested for any. The remaining ones were forwarded to Liberia, etc. The priest you are pointing to died at the end. What is your skewed view all about though?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by phreakabit(m): 10:25pm On Sep 02, 2014
all4naija:
You are lying! I followed the news. The one that was given to the priest was done before Nigeria health minister even requested for any. The remaining ones were forwarded to Liberia, etc. The priest you are pointing to died at the end. What is your skewed view all about though?

He died but at least he got Zmapp right? The American doc got Zmapp as well as a 14 yrs old survivors blood won't it be cool if he donates blood too. . . No?
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by ceejayluv(m): 10:25pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:
Don't let emotion preceded over reason. Zmapp supplies were exhausted on 2 Americans, yet it was available for a Spanish priest. . . . Exhausted again until a Brit got infected, and then 3 Liberian based health workers ( one Nigerian) were given Zmapp after much pondering and deliberations. Still had enough Zmapp for 18 monkeys though. . Just saying. BTW don't "Zmapp tobacco thingy take 4 months to grow "?
When pfizer tested some meningitis drugs in kano (with 10% fatality rate, they got their pants sued off to the tune of $75million . zmapp hadn't even reached that phase of human trials stage yet.
The Japanese flu drug, TKM ebola and the gsk vaccine are far ahead in the trial process, hence their approval for mass trials.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by phreakabit(m): 10:29pm On Sep 02, 2014
ceejayluv:
When pfizer tested some meningitis drugs in kano (with 10% fatality rate, they got their pants sued off to the tune of $75million . zmapp hadn't even reached that phase of human trials stage yet.
The Japanese flu drug, TKM ebola and the gsk vaccine are far ahead in the trial process, hence their approval for mass trials.

Accusations and counter accusations, my point exactly. We all have strong opinions stemming from our various philosophies.
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:

He died but at least he got Zmapp right? The America doc got Zmapp as well as a 14 yrs old survivors blood won't it be cool if he donates blood too. . . No?
Nobody knows if he was given ZMAPP before he died. But, there was evidence the drug was sent to Spain for the treatment of the Ebola infested priest. The American doctors got it in Africa before they were sent on intensive health care facility in Georgia for further treatment.

Oh, please. You are now trying to tell the well-read medical community on what to do with blood sample of a 14-year-old Ebola survived patient. I don't think you know a tad about the virus than them. Believe me, they must have thought or explored that notion you seem to bring into the argument. I personally know what you mean. That is to use the blood of the Ebola survivor to create a vaccine. But, it is not just like that. It takes more experience, experiments and medical hurdles to create a vaccine that would not become a weapon to patients in a case like this.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by ceejayluv(m): 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:

Accusations and counter accusations, my point exactly. We all have strong opinions stemming from our various philosophies.
There are procedures in doing certain things.... if it were a Hollywood flick, the cure would have popped up overnight and administered without thorough trials... This is reality. The reason you are so mad at the West is cos you thought ebola was an automatic death sentence, of which a simple googling would have calmed your nerves.
Obama said we need to focus on medical infrastructure, containment measures and supportive care - all which are the reason we've had a low fatality rate so far.

President Barack Obama said: "I don't
think all the information is in on
whether this drug is helpful. What we
do know is that the ebola virus - both
currently and in the past - is
controllable if you have strong public
health infrastructure in place.
"Let's get all the health workers that
we need on the ground. Let's help to
bolster the systems that they already
have in place.
"And then during the course of that
process, I think it's entirely
appropriate for us to see if there are
additional drugs or medical
treatments that can improve the
survivability of what is a very deadly
and obviously brutal disease."

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 10:41pm On Sep 02, 2014
code11: and now we are dumping ground for untested drugs. made lab rats!!
It is ethical to experiment to save people's lives. That is not using humans as Guinea Pigs.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by phreakabit(m): 10:44pm On Sep 02, 2014
all4naija:
Nobody knows if he was given ZMAPP before he died. But, there was evidence the drug was sent to Spain for the treatment of the Ebola infested priest. The American doctors got it in Africa before they were sent on intensive health care facility in Georgia for further treatment.

Oh, please. You are now trying to tell the well-read medical community on what to do with blood sample of a 14-year-old Ebola survived patient. I don't think you know a tad about the virus than them. Believe me, they must have thought or explore that notion you seem to bring into the argument. I personally know what you mean. That is to use the blood of the Ebola survivor to create a vaccine. But, it is not just like that. It takes more experience, experiments and medical hurdles to create a vaccine that would not become a weapon to patients in a case like this.

If u weren't so erratic and irrationality hell bent on seeing me conform to Ur views you'd notice i stated the American male survivor got blood transfusion, why didnt he do same and donate blood, or why wasn't he allowed to? Btw ombre trust me the Spanish priest was given Zmapp. . . Google is Ur friend let's not get too emotional now.
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 10:55pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:

If u weren't so erratic and irrationality hell bent on seeing me conform to Ur views you'd notice i stated the American male survivor got blood transfusion, why didnt he do same and donate blood, or why wasn't he allowed to? Btw ombre trust me the Spanish priest was given Zmapp. . . Google is Ur friend let's not get too emotional now.

You don't have to blame me for misreading what you mean by blood donation as for blood transfusion without elaborating on it, looking at the way you express yourself there. Indeed, it's a serum of the patient that was used for the doctor. If you are arguing from that angle there are those who survived the EVD in West Africa while the doctors still remain in USA. You are just looking for an avenue to accused them. These were the same people who worked tirelessly to save lives in Africa and got the disease through there yet you didn't compliment their effort than to ask for their serum. You need to be kicked back to the forest, dude!

I think you need the Google search the most. Why don't you post your Google link against when the Nigerian health minister requested for the product?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by phreakabit(m): 11:20pm On Sep 02, 2014
all4naija:
You don't have to blame me for misreading what you mean by blood donation as for blood transfusion without elaborating on it, looking at the way you express yourself there. Indeed, it's a serum of the patient that was used for the doctor. If you are arguing from that angle there are those who survived the EVD in West Africa while the doctors still remain in USA. You are just looking for an avenue to accused them. These were the same people who worked tireless to save lives in Africa and got the disease through there yet you didn't compliment their effort than asking for their serum. You need to be kicked back to the forest, dude!

I think you need the Google search the most. Why don't you post your Google link against when the Nigerian health minister requested for the product?

Your ignorance knows no borders and is becoming increasingly glaring. A fool turns an argument to a verbal altercation when his limited intelligence gets exhausted. Your entire post was incoherent and utterly abysmal. You come across as an adolescent. Forgive me if you are not, but then again. . . That just proves that physical growth is inevitable, mental growth is however optional. BTW, couldn't understand what you were driving at with the blood transfusion, donation gibberish. I guess that's something only you know about. I consider your post a rant!
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:

You ignorance knows no border and is becoming increasingly glaring. A fool turns a argument to a verbal altercation when his limited intelligence gets exhausted. Your entire post was incoherent and utterly abismal. You come across as an adolescent. Forgive me if you are not, but then again. . . That just proves that physical growth is inevitable, mental growth is however optional. BTW, couldn't understand what you were driving at with the blood tranfussion, donation gibberish. I guess that's something only you knows. I consider your post a rant!
Alright! I say to you, buzz off, housefly!
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by phreakabit(m): 11:30pm On Sep 02, 2014
all4naija:
Alright! I say to you, buzz off, housefly!

Back to flipping burgers at Mickey D's for you bro. . . breaks over!
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Affable200(m): 11:32pm On Sep 02, 2014
The problem is that they have not arrived to a trusted drug that will cure Ebola disease. I pray that God should help us provide the one touch drug.We shouldn't be criticising America for now because we don't know tomorrow. They might be the one find the real drug for the Ebola virus.
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 02, 2014
phreakabit:

Back to flipping burgers at Mickey D's for you bro. . . breaks over!
Hehehe... I like the way you assume things, primitive man! grin cheesy cool angry lipsrsealed cry
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:14am On Sep 03, 2014
all4naija:
Not true. Nobody turned Nigeria down. The reason was clear, they didn't have enough ZMAPP in production. They likely gave the remaining ones to treat Ebola patients in Liberia and other places where the situation was worse than the one in Nigeria.
[b]Please, I wonder how you can say Nigerians were not denied ZMapp Experimental drug.

Our country people were the first to reach out for the drug before the Spanish government. President Obama refused saying science should take its course. When it came to treating the Americans, science taking its course did not count.

When WHO members met and said the drug should be given based on the ethic to save lives (which common sense shows it is better to experiment and safe lives than do nothing), it showed Obama's logic was so tainted to deny the drug to Nigerians.

He drugs were released to the Spanish people and the Liberians. The Nigerian government asked first. An American brought the virus into the country. Yet, we were denied.

When asked again, the Americans LIED that the drug were finished. Not even one sample to save Dr Ameyo Adadevoh. Someone even said that if President Obama contracted Ebola, there would be no sample for him. They even had samples to test monkeys.

Then the British William Pooley contracted the virus and magically, there was another sample for him.[/b]
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:19am On Sep 03, 2014
all4naija:
If you actually followed the news, President Obama's reply was to the Nigerian government. WHO members sat after the Obama speech and the a sample was released for the Spanish Priest. The Nigerian government reached out before the Spanish government.
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:21am On Sep 03, 2014
ceejayluv:
A consent form is signed by the family members before the administration of the experimental ZMapp. So, being sued was never an issue.
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:23am On Sep 03, 2014
all4naija:

Oh, please. You are now trying to tell the well-read medical community on what to do with blood sample of a 14-year-old Ebola survived patient. I don't think you know a tad about the virus than them. Believe me, they must have thought or explore that notion you seem to bring into the argument. I personally know what you mean. That is to use the blood of the Ebola survivor to create a vaccine. But, it is not just like that. It takes more experience, experiments and medical hurdles to create a vaccine that would not become a weapon to patients in a case like this.
The Spanish Priest did not make it because the drug arrived late. It was administered to him but it was too late to help him.
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:26am On Sep 03, 2014
ceejayluv:
There are procedures in doing certain things.... if it were a Hollywood flick, the cure would have popped up overnight and administered without thorough trials... This is reality. The reason you are so mad at the West is cos you thought ebola was an automatic death sentence, of which a simple googling would have calmed your nerves.
Obama said we need to focus on medical infrastructure, containment measures and supportive care - all which are the reason we've had a low fatality rate so far.

President Barack Obama said: "I don't
think all the information is in on
whether this drug is helpful. What we
do know is that the ebola virus - both
currently and in the past - is
controllable if you have strong public
health infrastructure in place.
"Let's get all the health workers that
we need on the ground. Let's help to
bolster the systems that they already
have in place.
"And then during the course of that
process, I think it's entirely
appropriate for us to see if there are
additional drugs or medical
treatments that can improve the
survivability of what is a very deadly
and obviously brutal disease."
WHO members already proved his logic was wrong. If it was his daughters infected, do you think President Obama would care about procedures?
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 03, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: If you actually followed the news, President Obama's reply was to the Nigerian government. WHO members sat after the Obama speech and the a sample was released for the Spanish Priest. The Nigerian government reached out before the Spanish government.
The Spanish priest died on Tuesday and Patrick Sawyer died in Lagos on Thursday of the same week. How is possible Nigerian health minister requested for the drug before the Spanish? It has affected handful of people before the plan to get the drug. Please, stop assuming sh*t!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 12:33am On Sep 03, 2014
thegoodjoehunt3: WHO members already proved his logic was wrong. If it was his daughters infected, do you think President Obama would care for procedures?

Dude, go and f**k yourself! Tell that to your president, you i d i o t! What have you done for Americans than assume nonsense. You irrelevant primitive person. Who gives a f**k about you anyway? Your arrogance is nauseating! USA doesn't answer to you. Get it!

Nigeria doesn't need a barbarian like you. Jeez!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 12:33am On Sep 03, 2014
Davijunson: I hope this drug works so dat America will be put to shame.

Why not channel this bitterness to your leaders that can't even produce a single working drug and instead they siphon money for scientific research.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by thegoodjoehunt3(m): 12:35am On Sep 03, 2014
all4naija:
The Spanish priest died on Tuesday and Patrick Sawyer died in Lagos on Thursday of the same week. How is possible Nigerian health minister requested for the drug before the Spanish? It has affected handful of people before the plan to get the drug. Please, stop assuming sh*t!
The Spanish Priest died 12th of August 2014. The first Nigerian nurse died 6th of August. You are the one assuming.
Re: Nigeria To Receive Favipiravir Ebola Drug From Japan by Nobody: 12:36am On Sep 03, 2014
phreakabit:

You ignorance knows no border and is becoming increasingly glaring. A fool turns a argument to a verbal altercation when his limited intelligence gets exhausted. Your entire post was incoherent and utterly abismal. You come across as an adolescent. Forgive me if you are not, but then again. . . That just proves that physical growth is inevitable, mental growth is however optional. BTW, couldn't understand what you were driving at with the blood tranfussion, donation gibberish. I guess that's something only you know about. I consider your post a rant!

Guy see ehn
If you want to insult using big grammar abeg at least try to spell correctly.

Sigh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

600 New COVID-19 Cases, 341 Discharged And 3 Deaths On July 17 - (3024 Tested) / Baby Born In Makurdi With Rare Medical Condition Whose Pics Went Viral Dies(pics / AT 21, She Has Never Menstruated Before: She Needs Medical advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.