Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,052 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" (81574 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Olaskybab: 3:44pm On Oct 12, 2014
2scorehigh:

Seriously? Do you believe that?

I laugh when I hear Catholics say this. I'm like really, what's the difference between honoring and worshipping?

C'mon guys...

Before anyone starts to indoctrinate me, I'm also a Catholic and I know the catechism inside out but one thing I know I'm not just buying any church dogma or doctrine that doesn't sit well with me.

If the truth must be told, the way Virgin Mary is elevated in the church, you will get the idea that she's not just the mother of God; she's more like God the Mother!
God bless u bro,u've sed it all
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by emmayoc: 3:48pm On Oct 12, 2014
nnatom:

is it possible for a dirty tank to hold a clean water and you still fetch the water out of in a clean state. I think this will I answer that question.
This guy can kill for mary. If he were a muslim, he'd be a devot ISIS

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 12, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

so bowing down to an image of her and asking her to intercede for you ( replacing Christ with her) is also honoring?
It Seems in your common sense, to bow and greet your dad is the same as to worship him as God. Is okay
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by buntubuntu: 3:51pm On Oct 12, 2014
Nnatom. U are a hero, u hv defended ur faith so enviably well that if i were not a Catholic I would hv applied to be one. As for ur detractors, they should be pitied & prayed for because most of them hv been brainwashed beyond repair. Kudos

3 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Chuks16(m): 3:56pm On Oct 12, 2014
I not just happy commenting now,the Catholic claims marry was a virgin before conceiving Jesus Christ and therefore she I regarded as been holy. pls I have a question.
1, is been a virgin the criteria of been Holy,what happens to other sins like gossip, lies,thief, e.t.c as mentioned in the ten commandment.
2. if marry is now to be honoured like Jesus,then tell me why you break and throw away the egg shell and eat the content?
don't you think that the story of virgin mary was the same as that of egg shell which is only important during the chick hatching period. same applies to Mary she was only relevant before the birth of Christ.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Olaskybab: 3:58pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ichiato:

It Seems in your common sense, to bow and greet your dad is the same as to worship him as God. Is okay
common guy,u don't worship sm1 nd u wil make mention of her name more dan 20 tyms in service....I'm not against d doctrine o,but letz b realistic. Mary was a common persn lyk u since d bible doesn't say anytin about her aftr d whole episode

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by IyfeNamikaze(m): 4:02pm On Oct 12, 2014
Werehkpe:
I wonder why ALL other Christian denominations ALWAYS "gang' up to criticize the teachings of the Catholic Church? You only talk about something when the thing is important. But for everyone to attack the Catholic Church (which is much older than redeemed, Living faith, Cora etc), then THERE MUST BE SOMETHING SPECIAL ABOUT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.

This special thing is found in Matt 16:15-20. Where Jesus declared Peter as the corner stone He would build HIS CHURCH on. He did not mention Oritsejafor (the renowned armed smuggler), Adeboye, TB Joshua etc. He said PETER.

Further readings on this verse will tell you Jesus gave authority to Peter when He said what you bind on earth shall be considered bound in Heaven. Jesus said I WILL (Not may/no probability) give you the key to the gate of Heaven..................."

Further readings in history will tell you that Peter was the FIRST Pope of the Catholic Church and Pope Francis can trace his succession to the throne of Peter.

TRACE is VERY important. IT shows evidence and it is for this reason that Mathew's Gospel tells us the genealogy of Jesus so we may believe he was made man.

HOWEVER, whether u are Catholic, Anglican, Protestant etc, in the final analyses matters as much as the tiniest pebble on the beach. [size=20pt]WHAT MATTERS AT THE END IS YOU; AND WHETHER U BELIEVE IN HIM, KEPT HIS COMMANDMENTS AND LIVED A GOOD CHRIST-LIKE LIFE.[/size]

CI KE NA. Thats why the Bible tells u He calls us to be like Christ. He did not call us to criticise others. Remove the log........................
Beyond this is merely bullocks.
what church do you think Christ was talking about? for your information, it was never the Catholic church neither was it Pentecostal church. but the true believers (congregation of the followers of Christ )
Peter never prayed with rosary and he never asked for Mary to intercede on his behalf. Peter really never bowed down to any image of Christ or Mary or anything. he didn't burn incense. so Peter clearly knows nothing about the Catholic, Pentecostal doctrines we have today. he is. called the 1st Pope, but was never addressed as such throughout his lifetime. infact there was nothing as Pope until 1300 or so.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by hensben(m): 4:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ichiato:

He tire me oh my broder. Many will just come and be asking where is it in the bible as if it is in the bible that everything pertaining to salvation is in the bible and whatever is not in the bible is wrong.
to even think same bible was compiled by human like us....they never reason that all these words in the bible was written on a scroll by individuals(the apostles) n later joined to form a book called 'Holy bible'.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by benswagtt(m): 4:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
nnatom:

u have made no point, the Op talks about mediate which I have shown u the meaning.

this where Mary interceded in the bible,
john 2:1-8 and this is also known as the first miracle of Christ.

On the third day a wedding took
place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’
mother was there, and Jesus and
his disciples had also been invited
to the wedding. When the wine
was gone, Jesus’ mother said to
him, “They have no more wine.”
“Woman, why do you involve
me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has
not yet come.”
His mother said to the servants,
“Do whatever he tells you.”
Nearby stood six stone water jars,
the kind used by the Jews for
ceremonial washing, each holding
from twenty to thirty gallons.
Jesus said to the servants, “Fill
the jars with water”; so they filled
them to the brim.
Then he told them, “Now draw
some out and take it to the master
of the banquet.”

I repeat Mary do not mediate she intercede pls don't miss the words. that part of Luke u quoted she also said " Henceforth, all generations shall call me blessed.
d Mary u tink is interceding 4u dosnt even knw u exist. D ealia u get dat, d beta 4u
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
Olaskybab:

common guy,u don't worship sm1 nd u wil make mention of her name more dan 20 tyms in service....I'm not against d doctrine o,but letz b realistic. Mary was a common persn lyk u since d bible doesn't say anytin about her aftr d whole episode
So mentioning someone more than 20times qualifies as worship? My friend better behave yourself. But which service do you hear Catholics mentioning mary more than 20 times? I can tell you that if we mention mary 20times then we must have mentioned christ a hundred times in that service.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by kelnas(m): 4:08pm On Oct 12, 2014
what some people dont understand is that, Mary herself will face judgement on the last day just like every other person on earth. She was privilege to bring the Messiah to earth no doubt but she will still give account of her life on earth to God on the last day. Pls Jesus is the only way to Heaven.. God bess u all.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Weah96: 4:09pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ichiato:

Mary is not your mother, or your father. She's someone else's mother, Jesus to be precise. Let him show her due reverence.

Respect your own mother first, the one that God gave you.

Hahaha. I'm sorry, but you guys are weird with this Mary business.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by IyfeNamikaze(m): 4:10pm On Oct 12, 2014
freeradical:
Before you go on this pity party for catholics why don't you look deeply inwards. A poor wretched soul as yours I think is more deserved of your pity. Any christian that undermines the place of the blessed virgin in his salvation is d one in need of pity.

really?! Peter, James and john never as a. matter of fact acknowledge Mary as having a place in their salvation. so by your logic I guess they are in need of pity? smh
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by benswagtt(m): 4:12pm On Oct 12, 2014
Catholic, misleadin xtains since 400AD......omo ntin concern me! I honor jst God nd His son who savd us. I dnt care if Mary carried Him. Cauz sh z jst a vessel lyk ME!
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Mhizdimplez(f): 4:14pm On Oct 12, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

What does the Bible say?

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2:5).

God Bless You!!!....
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by hensben(m): 4:17pm On Oct 12, 2014
Olaskybab:

myopic view, was jesus in the scene during old testament huh
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by IyfeNamikaze(m): 4:18pm On Oct 12, 2014
Amack:
mr writher abi mr pastor go back and study your bible well. You pastors are the problems we are having in nigeria today. A chosen pastor in my compound dupe his fellow church member by renting him the house he is in debt of a year and six month and corrected 300k. First of all go and make peace with your God and live a good life free of sin,no matter what you do you can never prevail against the holy church of God. I'm happy with catholic church and I'm proud to be a catholic.

church is never going to save you. do you know how many people the Catholic church have burned on the stakes? with the Bible strapped on their chest! Oh.. wait you actually think that boko haram and Isis are the first to execute people in the name of God? haha... some of us need some history to Yank us back to reality

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by IyfeNamikaze(m): 4:21pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ichiato:

In your own right sense if judgement, when the ten commandment said honor thy father and mother. Is it telling you to worship and take them as your God. Yes worship and honor can mean the same thing in todays English but not for Catholics. We only respect her (let me use another word to enhance your understanding) for the role she played in our salvation and the favour of which God found her worthy hence we know that she is highly regarded by God and in a very good position to intercede for us. Unlike God who we profess to be our maker and we also profess to love him above any other being on earth or in heaven and who holds the power to give all sins.

that's it! I have heard enough of this. kindly tell us what significant role Mary played in our salvation.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by kelnas(m): 4:21pm On Oct 12, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

really?! Peter, James and john never as a. matter of fact acknowledge Mary as having a place in their salvation. so by your logic I guess they are in need of pity? smh
sorie sir, but since they dint realy acknowledge de existence of Mary, what would be de faith of all CC in the world?..... (well i believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father, no shortcuts!!!! )
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by freeradical(m): 4:22pm On Oct 12, 2014
gentlegg:

Had it been you're honouring Jesus you won't call me names.
Bros I love you too but still pity your beliefs.
See the hypocrisy in ur post. So its ok for you to 'pity' catholics but you r far too right and special for a catholic to pity u too. And as xtians we dnt honour but WORSHIP Jesus as our Lord....that part of ur doctrine too came from the catholic beliefs u claim to pity...Love you too but pity ur thought pattern.

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 12, 2014
Weah96:

Mary is not your mother, or your father. She's someone else's mother, Jesus to be precise. Let him show her due reverence.

Respect your own mother first, the one that God gave you.

Hahaha. I'm sorry, but you guys are weird with this Mary business.

Oga you're the one that seems wired cos you're kind of suggesting that we respect only our own mothers. What about the elderly women in your community. You deserve cane.
FYI: I don't need you to tell me to respect my mother. I have Been doing so since I knew she was my mother.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by hensben(m): 4:25pm On Oct 12, 2014
buntubuntu:
Nnatom. U are a hero, u hv defended ur faith so enviably well that if i were not a Catholic I would hv applied to be one. As for ur detractors, they should be pitied & prayed for because most of them hv been brainwashed beyond repair. Kudos
they have been brainwashed by these new found churches not knowing that most of the pastors are using this as one of the strategy to convince members to their church..smh

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by freeradical(m): 4:27pm On Oct 12, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

Of course they are not in need of pity because they never slandered Mary as refering to her as a common vessel the way you lot do. They rather co-operated with her. Remember she was with then when the spirit of God descended @ pentecost yet I'm sure you hold them in higher regard compared to the Mother of your professed saviour Jesus Christ. That calls for pity.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

that's it! I have heard enough of this. kindly tell us what significant role Mary played in our salvation.
Please answer yourself. What role was Mary so highly favored to play. Or without the conception of baby Jesus would you be talking of salvation?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by frank043(m): 4:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
jansie:
^^^
Your innocence is just making me to laugh.
in what ways are you honoring mary if i may ask?
This shows that you don't know how to honour your mother,cos if you do,you won't have asked this silly question.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by IyfeNamikaze(m): 4:34pm On Oct 12, 2014
Ichiato:

Well popsy is still Well alive and kicking. I don't go bowing down to the picture of my grand pa just to honor him. same way I don't go bowing down to an image supposed to be Mary as a sign of honor to her. Let's even say that it's not wrong to bow down to Mary (actually there is nothing wrong with that, she is favored by God) but how sure are you that the image you are bowing down to is actually Mary?

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by geniusbami(m): 4:36pm On Oct 12, 2014
nnatom:

it's to show u how shameful it is for u a christain, calling her a sinner. shame on you

By nature, we are all children of wrath, having inherited the nature of sin from Adam. ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God (Rom. 3.23). There's not a just man on earth who does good and does not sin. (Eccl. 7.20). If we say we have no sin, we're liars (1Jn. 1.8 ).

Mary was also a sinner, that's why she acknowledged her "saviour" in Luke 1.47 as quoted by Ichuka on Sept. 4. It's not sentiments, it's the word of God.

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 12, 2014
IyfeNamikaze:

Well popsy is still Well alive and kicking. I don't go bowing down to the picture of my grand pa just to honor him. same way I don't go bowing down to an image supposed to be Mary as a sign of honor to her. Let's even say that it's not wrong to bow down to Mary (actually there is nothing wrong with that, she is favored by God) but how sure are you that the image you are bowing down to is actually Mary?
So bowing down to your father who is alive on earth is not the same worshiping him but doing the same things to the most blessed woman is worshiping her. Clap for your logic

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Obinoscopy(m): 4:42pm On Oct 12, 2014
Olaskybab:

is Mary a saint?
If she isn't then I wonder who is?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by IyfeNamikaze(m): 4:45pm On Oct 12, 2014
freeradical:
Of course they are not in need of pity because they never slandered Mary as refering to her as a common vessel the way you lot do. They rather co-operated with her. Remember she was with then when the spirit of God descended @ pentecost yet I'm sure you hold them in higher regard compared to the Mother of your professed saviour Jesus Christ. That calls for pity.

No one is slandering Mary here, why should we? we are just trying to set things straight. it's human nature to overdo things. and as it stand, you people are rubbing Mary shoulder to shoulder with Christ. To even say she played a role in our salvation is so pitiful.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by mbulela: 4:47pm On Oct 12, 2014
Chibueze291994:
we only honour mary
we do not worship her.
Truly no one goes to the father except through christ, but
some are also in a better position to pray for us that's where we talk about mediator. let's take a look at what happened in canaan.
You need a second mediator when the first one is fallible or inadequate.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 12, 2014
mbulela:

You need a second mediator when the first one is fallible or inadequate.
Is it because your mediator is fallible you ask your pastor to pray for you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (31) (Reply)

Pastor Enoch Adeboye Reveals 2015 Prophecies / What Is The Use Of The 7 Books Of Moses / Pastor Success Sunday Forced To Marry Fiancée's Corpse Who Died During Abortion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.