Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,094 members, 7,953,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:31 PM

"What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" - Religion (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" (83163 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / Virgin Mary's Image Seen In Edo At St Benedicts Catholic Church In Ubiaja / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chysam: 1:27am On Nov 30, 2014
Syncan:

Shebi you've come here, you ran away from the lies you laid on this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1985739/jesus-not-coming-back-looks/1#28381641, now you are here again with your hatred for Catholics which blinds you from truth. Smh. nnatom, pay no heed to him.
Run away?,how do u mean?. I knew a typical catholic is capable of arguing blindly so I decided to let go. But since you seem much interested in defending your dogmas which are in million,then we need even see some of the reasons why the Pontiff made such comments. Before we proceed further,Could you please explain what VICAR FEI DEI means?. Please take nothing personal,just explain.We would still arrive at the other issue$
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by dj5naira(m): 7:28pm On Dec 01, 2014
chysam:
Brethren,I have been following all your comments since inception and just can't hold back laughter.The greatest of blessings would be on the guy that shared this post.It will indeed be an eye opener to those who are still in darkness and operating under the influence of inducement,ignorance and indoctrination.
I was a hardcore Catholic as a youth and would have killed for Mary if that opportunity came my way.It is very difficult to explain the religion of the catholics because in Christian matters they always try to argue out their points like juries on judicial contract.They have so much applied mere human intelligence in defending their faith so much that bibles used by any other denomination is unreal.However when they quote from their own version we read similar informations and the corrolations in alignment. They argue spiritual matters based purely on researches and findings by mere mortals whose primary aim always is to induce readers into glorifying their works.They attach so much importance to Languages spoken in Greece and Italy and feel that understanding them is a major step to God's kingdom.For the little minds,let me educate you now that no language is greater than another.Every language is equal to another and has the same value.God made it so.So if you stand before a crowd taking pride in speaking Latin as an old man,then you are making a very big fool of yourself because in countries where those languages originated,toddlers who still wet their beds and infact defecate uncontolably speak them better.

The bone of contention here is who Mary was?.
We all know who she was as is indicative of the Catholic bible as well.But because Catholics feel the writers of Mary's history did not do so in full,they felt there was need to expanciate and elaborate further.This elaboration however became a human tradition outside the bible and their own bible.A wise question here is why were the early christians who were Catholics as they say attach insignificant importance to Mary that they never realised until now that she was their intercessor on spiritual matters?.A most foolish way to defend oneself is to argue whether or not every thing that happened in bible times is included in the bible.Only relevant matters that would be of benefit to believers were recorded and any that was recorded was explicitly narrated and concluded up to a meaningful and reasonable understandng.In Mary's case,Isaiah would not have been daft not to add that after Mary's birth,she would go on to become the transporter of prayers made to her son and God.Even if he was,God's angel would have delivered the message in full.Are we also aware that Mary had parents?.Supposing her parents did not give birth to her?.So her father and mother too are equally blessed for giving birth to a maiden who gave birth to the Christ,they too deserve to be honored.The book of Psalm confirms that Jesus' mother had other children and the Catholic strongly believe in the Psalm of David.So why all this rigmaroling?.Let anyone who can quote this psalmic verse out of context do if he can.69:8-9

The issue related to worshipping Mary pulled me out of Catholic.In addition to keeping some informations unexplainably sacred and making them an exclusive concern of the so called exalted clergies who constantly made us believe the decisions from the Vatican are unquestionable.Jesus kept answering questions from both the standards and the poors until his death and even after.The catholics worship Mary indeed, and the pressure is so much on them to reverse such dogmatic practice but a change from this tradition will demand further amendments in other areas and this will question the innerancy of their doctrines.So what is in play here is nothing but pride and prejudice and an attempt to protect a man made doctrine that now hold millions of people under siege ignorantly.

Yes the bible said honour your parents so your days on earth would be lenghtened,the NT also confirms this.But it becomes practically wrong to honour dead parents or bow down to their lifeless images.How do you honour your parents?,by simply obeying their commands and heedng their advices,and when you are of age you take care of their needs.If honouring exceeds this,then it becomes worship.Therefore in the way and manner the Catholics honour their Mary,it is much more than a worship. Let's look at these few definitions of worship and compare them to how the Catholics honour their Mary to see if there is any difference between their honoring and worshipping.We need bear in mind that we are talking about "Religious Devotional Honour" here,and not physical honours suggested in the 10 commandments.

1.To honor and love as a deity

2.Reverent honor and homage paid to God or a sacred personage, or to any object regarded as sacred.

3.The reverent love and devotion accorded a deity, an idol, or a sacred object.

4.the act of showing respect and love for a god especially by praying with other people who believe in the same god.

5.The ceremonies, prayers, or other religious forms by which this love is expressed.

Conclusively,I worshipped Mary as a Catholic because I did everything contained in the definitions above to Mary's image and the Catholics still do it today.infact as I am typing now,millions of Catholics are bowing down to graven images of Maria all around the world.Every Catholic Church compound has a sacred isolated region where gigantic Mary's image of any material stands and towers above every worshipper who "must" go in there,bow down his or her head either kneeling or standing and tell the image his problems,wishes or be thankful for a received favour.In addition to this,even non catholics all over the world make billions of dollars selling graven images of Maria to gullible Catholics who have been trained only to trust and obey.Every catholic adorn his compound and rooms with lots of graven images of Mary.I want any Catholic to dispute this,then ask any interested person to go to a catholic church compound and observe this.Now what greek words do you have for bowing and kneeling to graven images of Maria?.How does this relate to the early church which you falsely claim to have established?.What about the apparitions of Mary?,does it have any corrolation with the early church?.A catholic clergy once advised a woman diagnosed with Cancer not to receive treatment because Mary has shown her a concotion to treat her,this woman died drinking the concotion.I once had brake failure while driving,as I was contemplating where to steer my car,I and my mom rather than calling Jesus' name for safety were seriously calling on mother mother,a resultant effect of indoctrination and cajole.Thank God we have finally realised the truth as is written in the book of Mathew 4:12.

The mass exodus of congregants out of Catholic border mostly around Mary and her goddess role.So many names including the Charismatic renewal has cropped up and grown out of this faith all in an effort to redress abnormalities made right by human inteligence.As glaring as this dogmatism looks,Catholic priests are so tenacious holding firm to it because of the pecuniary interest involved.I know of a young boy in my town who was forced by his parents to become a catholic priest so he could help enrich the family.That strategy worked and today the parents are truly rich because they were able to maximise the funds they received from the boy by setting themselves up with a lucrative business.But is God mocked?.The seminary is nothing to write home about as well over 60% of students become gay men before their final year.The so called Sisters sleep around with men in secret and in some cases with fathers themselves.if you can promise and swear to a sister that you won't leak the secret,she becomes yours.Masturbation is encouraged and so many other vices.All these atrocities is the singular reason why purgatory is promoted because they falsely teach it will wash away all sins.It is also the major reason why bible is distorted and always quoted out of context without any meaningful points made in tandem to subject matters.The easiest escape route of a catholic when faced with reality is to ask if the bible contain everything that happened in bible time.it becomes so astonishing hearing some who calls himself a follower of christ ask such question.While it looks so smart to them,they foolishly forget that it is not for any body to add nor subtract,or at least they should present to us one that contains everything and revolve around their belief.Instead all we hear them quote is text books and literatures just anybody could come up with in a few seconds and make it God's ordinances.when asked why he is quoting from textbook and literatures,he would tell you christians bible is not complete or have been tamered with.

Bottom line is;you bow and kneel before images of Maria and believe in God by faith.You build special structures/houses for Mary's image where you actually go to worship.You give frivolous reasons for honouring Mary in your own language,what reasons do you have for asking carcasses you call saints to pray for you also?.Where is the position of Jesus in your faith?. What meanings does the teachings of Christ have in your faith?.Why do you refuse to obey him but rather evolve your own doctrine?.Or is jesus' activities as is recorded in the bible also corrupted?.What practices in Catholic today are in alignment with the early church?. Please seek the truth according to jesus and it shall set all of you free.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-lCJ5mnAlfkM/UL9LijfJF6I/AAAAAAAAAVY/-QSNfdyQFVo/s1600/muisjelach.gif[/img]
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by dj5naira(m): 12:38pm On Dec 04, 2014
Read, find out.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Proffdada: 10:45am On Dec 13, 2014

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chysam: 4:03am On Dec 14, 2014
Chibueze291994:
we only honour mary
we do not worship her.
Truly no one goes to the father except through christ, but
some are also in a better position to pray for us that's where we talk about mediator. let's take a look at what happened in canaan.

Can you explain the differences between Worshipping and honouring in relation to Mary?
How do you honour Mary?,and how do you worship God?.
Please explain.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by nnatom: 7:55am On Dec 14, 2014
chysam:

Can you explain the differences between Worshipping and honouring in relation to Mary?
How do you honour Mary?,and how do you worship God?.
Please explain.

pls can u also highlights the differences btw worship, respect, and honour
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:02pm On Dec 16, 2014
Proffdada:

one of their publication indicating their shrine

I hope they saw that publication. undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:03pm On Dec 16, 2014
nnatom:

u have not answered my question, pls do.

What was your question that I failed to answer?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2014
jvavoso:

Part 1: Catholics Do Not Worship Idols:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixUf2F95rVo
Part 2: Catholics Do Not Worship Idols:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbEHtteWC7I

Can you summarise the point of the videoclips here?
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by chysam: 4:16pm On Dec 17, 2014
[quote author=nnatom post=26000908]

this is too lame, my bro u still have not made any clear point.

well u have made up ur mind not to honour her,my bro it's ur headache o, but for me I will honour her and be glad like Elizabeth that said in
Luke 1:39-45 New International
Version (NIV)
Mary Visits Elizabeth
At that time Mary got ready and
hurried to a town in the hill country
of Judea, where she entered
Zechariah’s home and greeted
Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard
Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in
her womb, and Elizabeth was filled
with the Holy Spirit. In a loud
voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are
you among women, and blessed is
the child you will bear! But why
am I so favored, that the mother of
my Lord should come to me? As
soon as the sound of your greeting
reached my ears, the baby in my
womb leaped for joy. Blessed is
she who has believed that the Lord
would fulfill his promises to her!”

Note this

Elizabeth was filled
with the Holy Spirit. In a loud
voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are
you among women, and blessed is
the child you will bear! But why
am I so favored, that the mother of
my Lord should come to me?

and I say why am I so favored to love and cherish the mother of my lord. oh thank you JESUS.

Do you really believe in the new testament version of the bible?.I thought Catholics don't believe in the new testament. Am shocked reading your quote about Mary from the gospel.Am also shocked knowing you believe in the inspired writers who wrote the story of Mary and Jesus.Since you believe in the gospel now,it would be important for you to explain further to us some other verses in the bible concerning Mary and Jesus. Firstly explain to us what Acts 4:12 means to you and the correlation it has with honouring Mary. Again let us know why mary needed a saviour and called herself a servant despite her immaculate nature according to the RCC.Again you made us understand that virgins are sinless,citing Mary as example,is this true? Please also explain.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:28pm On Dec 30, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Question: "What does the Bible say about the virgin Mary?"

Answer: Mary the mother of Jesus was described by God as "highly favoured" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "highly favoured" comes from a single Greek word, which essentially means "much grace." Mary received God’s grace.

Grace is "unmerited favour," meaning something we receive despite the fact that we do not deserve it. Mary needed grace from God just as the rest of us do. Mary herself understood this fact, as she declared in Luke 1:47, “. . . and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour. . .”

Mary recognized that she needed the Saviour. The Bible never says that Mary was anyone but an ordinary human whom God chose to use in an extraordinary way. Yes, Mary was a righteous woman and favoured (graced) by God (Luke 1:27-28). At the same time, Mary was a sinful human being who needed Jesus Christ as her Saviour, just like everyone else (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 1 John 1:8.)

Mary did not have an "immaculate conception." The Bible doesn’t suggest Mary’s birth was anything but a normal human birth. Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus (Luke 1:34-38), but the idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary is unbiblical. Matthew 1:25, speaking of Joseph, declares, "But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave Him the name Jesus."

The word "until" clearly indicates that Joseph and Mary did have sexual union after Jesus was born. Joseph and Mary had several children together after Jesus was born. Jesus had four half-brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). Jesus also had half-sisters, although they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:55-56). God blessed and graced Mary by giving her several children, which in that culture was the clearest indication of God’s blessing on a woman.

One time when Jesus was speaking, a woman in the crowd proclaimed, "Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed" (Luke 11:27). There was never a better opportunity for Jesus to declare that Mary was indeed worthy of praise and adoration. What was Jesus’ response? "On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it" (Luke 11:28). To Jesus, obedience to God’s Word was more important than being the woman who gave birth to the Saviour.

Nowhere in Scripture does Jesus, or anyone else, direct any praise, glory, or adoration towards Mary. Elizabeth, Mary’s relative, praised Mary in Luke 1:42-44, but her praise is based on the blessing of giving birth to the Messiah. It was not based on any inherent glory in Mary.

Mary was present at the cross when Jesus died (John 19:25). Mary was also with the apostles on the day of Pentecost (Acts 1:14). However, Mary is never mentioned again after Acts chapter 1. The apostles did not give Mary a prominent role. Mary’s death is not recorded in the Bible. Nothing is said about Mary ascending to heaven or having an exalted role there. As the earthly mother of Jesus, Mary should be respected, but she is not worthy of our worship or adoration.

The Bible nowhere indicates that Mary can hear our prayers or that she can mediate for us with God. Jesus is our only advocate and mediator in heaven (1 Timothy 2:5). If offered worship, adoration, or prayers, Mary would say the same as the angels: "Worship God!" (see Revelation 19:10; 22:9.) Mary herself sets the example for us, directing her worship, adoration, and praise to God alone: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/virgin-Mary.html#ixzz3CGQKef6b

1 Like

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:56pm On Aug 08, 2015
smiley
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by nnatom: 5:04pm On Aug 10, 2015
OLAADEGBU:
smiley

bros ur last post befor this was last year Dec 30.weytin u dey fine here. all the same how life.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:22pm On Aug 10, 2015
Mary recognized that she needed the Saviour. The Bible never says that Mary was anyone but an ordinary human whom God chose to use in an extraordinary way. Yes, Mary was a righteous woman and favoured (graced) by God (Luke 1:27-28). At the same time, Mary was a sinful human being who needed Jesus Christ as her Saviour, just like everyone else (Ecclesiastes 7:20; Romans 3:23; 6:23; 1 John 1:8.)

Was Mary as sinful human being who needed Jesus like everyone else? undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:23pm On Aug 10, 2015
nnatom:

bros ur last post befor this was last year Dec 30.weytin u dey fine here. all the same how life.

I just say make I pull una leg small. The Lord is good to me all the time. wink
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Nobody: 4:30am On Aug 11, 2015
Sometimes when I read what some people say and write about catholics and the blessed virgin Mary, the mother of our saviour...I just laugh.

Firstly...common sense and history has taught us that to get something asap from a king, president, governor etc, going through the mother works like magic or better still when your mother ask you for a favour on behalf of others . Even my siblings does that too when they want something from me and vice versa.

Secondly... All protestant churches uses their Pastor's picture and even the wife who does not know jack about the scripture and doesn't contribute anything in bringing our lord to the world as posters all over their church premises, and even pray with the pictures with the believe that the picture of their G.O will facilitate the answering of their prayers.

Thirdly...some cultures and belief bow and prostrate flat to the ground while greeting a mere human being like them that has never been visited by an Angel, talk more of been a vessel of any sort to salvation of any soul. But once they hear the the name virgin Mary, their blood will start boiling for no particular reason.

Lastly...I guess if you are a human being, you must have heard the addage that says "give honor to whom honor is due". So think about the role the ever blessed virgin Mary played, and judge whether she should be honored or not? And please if you don't like how we the catholics do our thing, its alright, after all who killed Jesus Christ, normal humans like you and I. So you guys must not always like or follow how we do things.

Peace and love to you all....

2 Likes

Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by nnatom: 7:18am On Aug 11, 2015
mizle:
Sometimes when I read what some people say and write about catholics and the blessed virgin Mary, the mother of our saviour...I just laugh.

Firstly...common sense and history has taught us that to get something asap from a king, president, governor etc, going through the mother works like magic or better still when your mother ask you for a favour on behalf of others . Even my siblings does that too when they want something from me and vice versa.

Secondly... All protestant churches uses their Pastor's picture and even the wife who does not know jack about the scripture and doesn't contribute anything in bringing our lord to the world as posters all over their church premises, and even pray with the pictures with the believe that the picture of their G.O will facilitate the answering of their prayers.

Thirdly...some cultures and belief bow and prostrate flat to the ground while greeting a mere human being like them that has never been visited by an Angel, talk more of been a vessel of any sort to salvation of any soul. But once they hear the the name virgin Mary, their blood will start boiling for no particular reason.

Lastly...I guess if you are a human being, you must have heard the addage that says "give honor to whom honor is due". So think about the role the ever blessed virgin Mary played, and judge whether she should be honored or not? And please if you don't like how we the catholics do our thing, its alright, after all who killed Jesus Christ, normal humans like you and I. So you guys must not always like or follow how we do things.

my brother thank u jare.tell them
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:29am On Aug 11, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Idol toppled in church amid screams. shocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8rcgP_jJY

shocked shocked shocked
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:37am On Aug 18, 2015
Daily Manna
Monday, August 17, 2015

Nothing Else, But God

TEXT: JEREMIAH 10:1-16

"The portion of Jacob is not like them: for he is the former of all things; and Israel is the rod of his inheritance: The LORD of hosts is his name" (Jeremiah 10:16).

A preacher was counselling a member, who sought help because his spiritual life was going downhill. He said: "Being a Christian is not being religious. A lot of people were very religious in Jesus time and He called them whitewashed graves with dead men’s bones inside".

The world is full of fake products and counterfeits. Those who are not observant are easily deceived and hoodwinked. Prophet Jeremiah, moved by the Spirit of God, warned Israel against carnal imitation of the customs of the world. He particularly warned against idolatry - the worship of man made gods. He said it was vain to engage in such, seeing that the gods are the works of men fastened with nails and hammer. He reminded Israel that those wooden gods cannot do anyone good or harm because they do not speak, and must be carried about as they cannot move.

He also warned that gods made from silver and gold by the work of men are also as powerless as the one made of wood. He emphasized that the Lord is the only true God, the living and everlasting King, at whose wrath the earth trembles.

Today, the worship of idols is as widespread as they were in the days gone by. In different continents, nation-states, communities, cities and villages, people daily involve themselves in various forms of idol worshiping. While some worship graven images, money, fellow men, women and other material things, others are addicted to games. Today, it is usual to see believers who forgo church services because of a football match. By this, they give honour meant for God to sports to the detriment of their souls. Nothing else must take the place of God in our lives. Those who have replaced the service of God in their hearts with other mundane things must repent now before it is too late.

BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: JOB 26 - 30

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: "Whatever is esteemed above God is idolatrous and sinful. Beware"

See more HERE:
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by Werehkpe: 7:56pm On Dec 12, 2015
IyfeNamikaze:

what church do you think Christ was talking about? for your information, it was never the Catholic church neither was it Pentecostal church. but the true believers (congregation of the followers of Christ )
Peter never prayed with rosary and he never asked for Mary to intercede on his behalf. Peter really never bowed down to any image of Christ or Mary or anything. he didn't burn incense. so Peter clearly knows nothing about the Catholic, Pentecostal doctrines we have today. he is. called the 1st Pope, but was never addressed as such throughout his lifetime. infact there was nothing as Pope until 1300 or so.

How will he pray the rosary when he and Mary were alive at the same time?

The Bible does not give an account of the contents of Peter's prayers.

And we do not know for sure how Peter prayed or if he bowed down to statues or burnt incense.

Lastly, Revelations clearly states burning of incense is appropriate and the Mary interceding for the host during the wedding at Canaan is a good example of going to Jesus through His mother.
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:11pm On Dec 16, 2015
Werehkpe:

How will he pray the rosary when he and Mary were alive at the same time?

The Bible does not give an account of the contents of Peter's prayers.

And we do not know for sure how Peter prayed or if he bowed down to statues or burnt incense.

Lastly, Revelations clearly states burning of incense is appropriate and the Mary interceding for the host during the wedding at Canaan is a good example of going to Jesus through His mother.

Where did the idea of praying with rosary come from? undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:13pm On Dec 25, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Question: "What does the Bible say about the virgin Mary?"

Answer: Mary the mother of Jesus was described by God as "highly favoured" (Luke 1:28). The phrase "highly favoured" comes from a single Greek word, which essentially means "much grace." Mary received God’s grace.

Grace is "unmerited favour," meaning something we receive despite the fact that we do not deserve it. Mary needed grace from God just as the rest of us do. Mary herself understood this fact, as she declared in Luke 1:47, “. . . and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour. . .”

Mary did not have an "immaculate conception." The Bible doesn’t suggest Mary’s birth was anything but a normal human birth. Mary was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus (Luke 1:34-38), but the idea of the perpetual virginity of Mary is unbiblical. Matthew 1:25, speaking of Joseph, declares, "But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son. And he gave Him the name Jesus."

The word "until" clearly indicates that Joseph and Mary did have sexual union after Jesus was born. Joseph and Mary had several children together after Jesus was born. Jesus had four half-brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). Jesus also had half-sisters, although they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:55-56). God blessed and graced Mary by giving her several children, which in that culture was the clearest indication of God’s blessing on a woman.

One time when Jesus was speaking, a woman in the crowd proclaimed, "Blessed is the womb that bore You and the breasts at which You nursed" (Luke 11:27). There was never a better opportunity for Jesus to declare that Mary was indeed worthy of praise and adoration. What was Jesus’ response? "On the contrary, blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it" (Luke 11:28). To Jesus, obedience to God’s Word was more important than being the woman who gave birth to the Saviour.

Nowhere in Scripture does Jesus, or anyone else, direct any praise, glory, or adoration towards Mary. Elizabeth, Mary’s relative, praised Mary in Luke 1:42-44, but her praise is based on the blessing of giving birth to the Messiah. It was not based on any inherent glory in Mary.

Mary was present at the cross when Jesus died (John 19:25). Mary was also with the apostles on the day of Pentecost (Acts 1:14). However, Mary is never mentioned again after Acts chapter 1. The apostles did not give Mary a prominent role. Mary’s death is not recorded in the Bible. Nothing is said about Mary ascending to heaven or having an exalted role there. As the earthly mother of Jesus, Mary should be respected, but she is not worthy of our worship or adoration.

The Bible nowhere indicates that Mary can hear our prayers or that she can mediate for us with God. Jesus is our only advocate and mediator in heaven (1 Timothy 2:5). If offered worship, adoration, or prayers, Mary would say the same as the angels: "Worship God!" (see Revelation 19:10; 22:9.) Mary herself sets the example for us, directing her worship, adoration, and praise to God alone: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Saviour, for He has been mindful of the humble state of His servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me — holy is His name" (Luke 1:46-49).

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/virgin-Mary.html#ixzz3CGQKef6b

Mary‬, as the mother of Jesus, is an important character and deserves our... worship? Appreciation? How should we respond to her? undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2015
OLAADEGBU:

Mary‬, as the mother of Jesus, is an important character and deserves our... worship? Appreciation? How should we respond to her? undecided

Does Mary deserve our worship or Appreciation? undecided
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10pm On Mar 22, 2016
mizle:

Do you think this is a laughing matter? undecided

mizle:

And you think that Jesus is an angry man and that only His mother can appease Him?

mizle:

Have you got evidence for this assumption? undecided

mizle:

If you are to go by culture then we should say that Jesus bows and worship 'the virgin Mary' His mother, no? undecided

mizle:

Who do you give honour to, Jesus Christ or' the Virgin Mary'? undecided

mizle:

Peace and love can only be found in our Lord Jesus Christ, not in 'the Virgin Mary'. cool
Re: "What Does The Bible Say About The Virgin Mary?" by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:50pm On Mar 24, 2016
nnatom:

my brother thank u jare.tell them

Tell them wetin? undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (Reply)

Pastor Commits Suicide After Sending Pics Of His Manhood To Whatsapp Group In SA / Fr. Mbaka Moving To His New Parish Yesterday - Photos / Joshua Bamiloye And Tolulope Odesola Wedding Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.