Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Olokun - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olokun (26302 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola At Olokun Festival (Photos) / Statue Of Ori Olokun In Brazil / Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olokun by LarryBeryl(m): 7:01am On Sep 07, 2014
CyberEBOLA: I guess the OP is a herbalist, and the Admin is OP client for putting up this kind of thread on front page this sunday morning.

Only christian and muslims allowed? U don't have to criticise the believe of anybody, what u worship is what u heard as it was said to u! Would u say such if it's a biblical or quranic saying?....... We worship God!!! And none of the believed holy books ask us to criticise anybody but call them to join
Re: Olokun by Haywhymido(m): 7:12am On Sep 07, 2014
arowtop: . I wonder too. Sunday morning and Olokun.
does dat concern us? F^uck sunday morning
Re: Olokun by Holuwahphemy(m): 7:13am On Sep 07, 2014
'Aje Olokun seni Ade' Not that I know much about this dude. but like someone, somewhere above Me, Man must comment 2 make first page of a front page article.
Re: Olokun by Acidosis(m): 7:26am On Sep 07, 2014
How come the olokun resides in Osun state?

She nor see better places like California, Los Angeles, etc?

2 Likes

Re: Olokun by alcuin(m): 7:54am On Sep 07, 2014
Acidosis: How come the olokun resides in Osun state?

She nor see better places like California, Los Angeles, etc?

Funny and st.upid...
Re: Olokun by seankay(m): 8:01am On Sep 07, 2014
Olokun no get pics?
Re: Olokun by Ekundayo7: 8:09am On Sep 07, 2014
CyberEBOLA: I guess the OP is a herbalist, and the Admin is OP client for putting up this kind of thread on front page this sunday morning.
arowtop: . I wonder too. Sunday morning and Olokun.
Excuse me Did you learn this kind of rude behavior in your father's house? Were you raised to make assumptions about "traditional worshipers" without getting firsthand knowledge before running your mouth off? Were you raised to think you are somehow "superior" to an Ifa herbalist who started learning when he stood only knee high to his elder? Were you raised with a "superiority complex" because you are "Christian and saved" yet are too blind to see that you yourself and your ancestors are suffering from the worst of all inferiority complexes: being born AFRICAN = PAGAN = BECAUSE MY WHITE COLONIZER SAID SO? Do you see Ifa traditionalist coming here to bash the name of Jesus, and nastily comment "I guess the Admin is OP client for putting up THIS KIND of thread ABOUT JESUS on front page this SUNDAY morning. Do you own the day called Sunday? Does JESUS own the day called Sunday? Did your pastor tell you that SUNDAY ALL OVER THE WORLD IS ONLY FOR CHRISTIANS. I feel extremely sorry for the sheer ignorance and stupidity you two have both displayed. I know dozens of Babalawo and Iyanifa, me being one of them, who possess character and actions more worthy of being called "CHARITABLE" than the face of Christianity in Nigeria today. How dare you. Someday you will figure out your ancestors threw away the finest riches they possessed-their cultural traditions and worship, their link to the land and their harmony and blessings in this world. I feel sorry for you both.

15 Likes

Re: Olokun by EMERIT2US(m): 8:14am On Sep 07, 2014
olokun,oluweri,yemoja,osun-watx d similarity and difference between these individuals
Re: Olokun by electropiz(m): 8:53am On Sep 07, 2014
i only Knw JESUS CHRIST of Nazareth and i think i am satisfied with Him, following his precept everyday.

1 Like

Re: Olokun by Ghost01(m): 9:52am On Sep 07, 2014
The literatures of the Yoruba belief system is more carefully woven, systematic, consistent and beautiful than that of the monotheist Post-Judaic religions. If only people will see... Maybe it's because it's tiwa-n-tiwa!

2 Likes

Re: Olokun by LaRoyalHighness(f): 10:10am On Sep 07, 2014
*grabs chair...(I just want to learn).

1 Like

Re: Olokun by shurl4(m): 11:02am On Sep 07, 2014
alcuin: Op.... Olokun is a "she" and not a "he". She is the veritable and beautiful Goddess of the seas.
Dear, Olokun is often refered to as a "he" in Yoruba mythology, however there are some other places in the world where Olokun is worshipped as a "she". the veritable sea goddes in Yoruba mythology is Yemoja. Personally I think the idea of "Olokun" is to create a deity that is ascribed the ownership and lordship of all earthy water bodies, just like we have "Olorun" the owner of the heavens. However, Olorun is the Supreme God in the Yoruba pantheon.

1 Like

Re: Olokun by sherrylo: 11:12am On Sep 07, 2014
ifa olokun asoro dayo!
Re: Olokun by hunter21(m): 11:42am On Sep 07, 2014
EMERIT2US: olokun,oluweri,yemoja,osun-watx d similarity and difference between these individuals
Olokun us the conciousness of any entity of seemingly infinite density i.e sea, it could be the earths hydrosphere or the planet neptune.
Yemoja-- yeye omo bi eja. eja originally refers to the microoganism (mostly unicellular) that swim in the amiotic fluid, the oceans surface, and other biological liquids. These organisms are the basis of all life forms on earth hence yemoja is the architype conciousness of fertility and motherhood on the earth level.
Osun is the conciousness energy of water that gives it the property of cohesion, Osun is the spirit of kemistry that connects people together. On the dividual level osun is the energy of the blue chakra
Oluweri is used to represent the three forces. in popular culture.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olokun by NeuroBoss(m): 12:01pm On Sep 07, 2014
Okun(the sea) actually holds the key to all worldly treasures. Ever wondered why the most beautiful cities in each country of the world are port or water cities?
Ajé olókun mo to o wa o, wa bámisé.
Re: Olokun by Owoplenty(m): 12:19pm On Sep 07, 2014
The poster should know that all these Ifa stuff are mere allegories and metaphors that only gives poetic meaning to yoruba traditions;and lack religious value.

1 Like

Re: Olokun by AMossley(m): 12:37pm On Sep 07, 2014
Bottom line:Thou shall serve no other god(s) except me,the living God
Re: Olokun by iamord(m): 1:21pm On Sep 07, 2014

And so
Re: Olokun by iamord(m): 1:22pm On Sep 07, 2014
electropiz: i only Knw JESUS CHRIST of Nazareth and i think i am satisfied with Him, following his precept everyday.

Good for u. Well this thread is not for u

1 Like

Re: Olokun by iamord(m): 1:42pm On Sep 07, 2014
Stelvin101: Your mate dey talk about Jesus, u dey here dey talk of stupid Olukun. Nonsense!

What happened to religious tolerance.. It was even said that the angels don't insult satan.. Even when they dialogue.. But you! A brainwashed human have the guts to insult a god , I pity u

2 Likes

Re: Olokun by AspDrone(m): 2:03pm On Sep 07, 2014
Ekundayo7:

Excuse me Did you learn this kind of rude behavior in your father's house? Were you raised to make assumptions about "traditional worshipers" without getting firsthand knowledge before running your mouth off? Were you raised to think you are somehow "superior" to an Ifa herbalist who started learning when he stood only knee high to his elder? Were you raised with a "superiority complex" because you are "Christian and saved" yet are too blind to see that you yourself and your ancestors are suffering from the worst of all inferiority complexes: being born AFRICAN = PAGAN = BECAUSE MY WHITE COLONIZER SAID SO? Do you see Ifa traditionalist coming here to bash the name of Jesus, and nastily comment "I guess the Admin is OP client for putting up THIS KIND of thread ABOUT JESUS on front page this SUNDAY morning. Do you own the day called Sunday? Does JESUS own the day called Sunday? Did your pastor tell you that SUNDAY ALL OVER THE WORLD IS ONLY FOR CHRISTIANS. I feel extremely sorry for the sheer ignorance and stupidity you two have both displayed. I know dozens of Babalawo and Iyanifa, me being one of them, who possess character and actions more worthy of being called "CHARITABLE" than the face of Christianity in Nigeria today. How dare you. Someday you will figure out your ancestors threw away the finest riches they possessed-their cultural traditions and worship, their link to the land and their harmony and blessings in this world. I feel sorry for you both.
Am a Yoruba. A christian but this fellow just won the argument.
Christians condems toooo much and that's pathetic. I can only support when its against some set of 'muslims' but to other religions,its a shame to us as christians to condem them for what they stand for.
The sky is wide enough....

3 Likes

Re: Olokun by iamord(m): 2:39pm On Sep 07, 2014
Infomizer: Op, could it be a possibility that the Olokun adherents plagiarized the "burning bush" and "divider of the sea" concepts? #HonestEnquiry

Well I understand your point which is a bit valid . I blame it on the fact that african tradition is passed down orally and there is little written information, but do you know that there are also some plaglarized concept in Christianity and islam?
Re: Olokun by tswagg007(m): 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2014
NeuroBoss: Okun(the sea) actually holds the key to all worldly treasures. Ever wondered why the most beautiful cities in each country of the world are port or water cities?
so there's beach in abj too abi?
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 2:51pm On Sep 07, 2014
NeuroBoss: Okun(the sea) actually holds the key to all worldly treasures. Ever wondered why the most beautiful cities in each country of the world are port or water cities?
Olokun is also the mother of Aje, Spirit of wealth. cheesy
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 2:59pm On Sep 07, 2014
@op where did you learn that Olokun means "divider of the sea"?

And by "omo ina joko ma j'erun" do you mean this as an Oriki for Orunmila or Olokun?
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 3:45pm On Sep 07, 2014
Owoplenty: The poster should know that all these Ifa stuff are mere allegories and metaphors that only gives poetic meaning to yoruba traditions;and lack religious value.

True they are allegories that seek understanding and interpretations but many have turned it into religion.
Re: Olokun by Infomizer(m): 6:46pm On Sep 07, 2014
iamord:

Well I understand your point which is a bit valid . I blame it on the fact that african tradition is passed down orally and there is little written information, but do you know that there are also some plaglarized concept in Christianity and islam?

Well, as far as religions are concerned, plagiarism seems normal. So, I'm not surprised.
Re: Olokun by NeuroBoss(m): 7:20pm On Sep 07, 2014
tswagg007: so there's beach in abj too abi?
is it safe to say that you lack basic understanding?
Resources were pulled from Lagos, Portharcourt, Warri, Bonny etc to build Abuja. The sea also holds the petroleum you know?
Re: Olokun by Lex11(m): 7:25pm On Sep 07, 2014
"The earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness, The world and those who dwell therein. For He has founded it upon the seas, And established it upon the waters." - Psalm 24:1-2

1 Like

Re: Olokun by gbenga4sure(m): 8:42pm On Sep 07, 2014
Olokun is a popular yoruba deity,infact his bronze statue is one of the most popular and beautiful bronze work in Nigeria.Below is a picture of the olokun bronze work(part of this bronze work is in england.was a part of the one the white men stole.coz its fucking beautiful,lovely and good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olokun by EMERIT2US(m): 9:59pm On Sep 07, 2014
gbenga4sure: Olokun is a popular yoruba deity,infact his bronze statue is one of the most popular and beautiful bronze work in Nigeria.Below is a picture of the olokun bronze work(part of this bronze work is in england.was a part of the one the white men stole.coz its fucking beautiful,lovely and good
ori olokun

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Olaoye: Court Sacks Soun Of Ogbomoso, Orders Fresh Selection process / "igbos Are Descendent Of Sudanese And Igala That Mixed Up With White Jews" / Ooni Ogunwusi At Bukky Wright Movie “Iwure Olofin” Premiere In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.