Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:38 AM

Olokun - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olokun (26231 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola At Olokun Festival (Photos) / Statue Of Ori Olokun In Brazil / Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olokun by jantavanta(m): 3:58pm On Sep 08, 2014
alcuin:

AMORC

No way. smiley

AMORC is not the sole repository of Egyptology and theology.
Re: Olokun by alcuin(m): 4:00pm On Sep 08, 2014
jantavanta:

It could mean that Fire Philosophy, which is usually attributed to Zoroastrianism, has a Yoruba origin.

Don't even go there. The cult of fire is lost in the midst of time.
Re: Olokun by alcuin(m): 4:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
jantavanta:

No way. smiley

AMORC is not the sole repository of Egyptology and theology.

Ok. AMORC tradition has strong ties with Egypt.
Although, its now more of a pantheistic philosophy.
Re: Olokun by iamord(m): 4:20pm On Sep 08, 2014
OnyeEgo1:

yea its as choice to worship oda gods but its a destructive choice liken to self inflicted death sentence... Take a wise choice today.. A Jesus Choice

This should be in the advert section
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 4:24pm On Sep 08, 2014
2prexios: It depends on your inclinations, its either Orisala or Orunmila, Obarisa is 'king of the chosen' and both were kings in their epoch. They weren't cotemporaries. 'Odu' means 'blacky', and 'Esu' means 'darkish'. You can verify this linguistically if you are keen at it.

well no where have I heard Orunmila being called obarisha and am sure of it
in my opinion Obatala isn't even obarisha but Olorun.
But then since you talking history not spirituality, The obarisha theme doesn't apply....king of the chosen, or King of the selected consciousness, also king of the spirits(Gods) is strictly spirituality

As Odu Ogunda stated that While Obatala was chosen by Olodumare to led the Imole to build the structures of earth, it was Ogun that came first

Odu also means womb, what 21st century Yoruba language would say Inu, it was Odu in the past. But I agree in all cases odu has been related to black
Esu does relate to black also, more like Dark, he darkens. But then short ancient Yoruba words like this aren't always as it seems, it could be a merging of a longer word

1 Like

Re: Olokun by macof(m): 4:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
alcuin:

Don't even go there. The cult of fire is lost in the midst of time.

Cult of fire is highly associated with sango, fire is a manifestation of Aganju, Sango's father
Re: Olokun by iamord(m): 4:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
OnyeEgo1:

if u are a christian u wouldnt want to learn anyoda tin dan d scriptures,,, wait do u think u av learn the scripture finish?... The holier than thou attitude was to show the CHRIST-like Nature in you dat made u diff from an unbeliever... Take one step further in ur sourjoun on earth as a christian

Bro I tell you.. You are brainwashed seriously! Your post is very clear. What do you think you have learn the scripture finish. Am sure you don't even know the nigerian constitution ..of course !! The bible is more important .. But u don't have to insist on her following what u want its her own choice .. Infact go to your own heaven and leave other people in peace

AFRICA future is bleak!
I say this with a sad heart!!!

1 Like

Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 4:38pm On Sep 08, 2014
iamord:

Bro I tell you.. You are brainwashed seriously! Your post is very clear. What do you think you have learn the scripture finish. Am sure you don't even know the nigerian constitution ..of course !! The bible is more important .. But u don't have to insist on her following what u want its her own choice .. Infact go to your own heaven and leave other people in peace

AFRICA future is bleak!
I say this with a sad heart!!!

like i av said its a matter of choice. But come to think of it which continent is as safe as AFRICA save northern NIG...
Re: Olokun by iamord(m): 4:45pm On Sep 08, 2014
OnyeEgo1:

like i av said its a matter of choice. But come to think of it which continent is as safe as AFRICA save northern NIG...

Safe in what aspect?
Re: Olokun by 2prexios: 5:04pm On Sep 08, 2014
@Ego, 'he that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much...' Keep judging or better still, close heaven's gate behind you once you are in, we will find a way to enter somewhere other than your 'gateway'. You will be disappointed on that day seeing 'holy-saint-babalawo' in heaven. Please permit scholastic discourse and stop messing christ, this is not religion section.
Re: Olokun by Ifecoded(m): 5:15pm On Sep 08, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Hehe,I know sango
-Ogun
-Osun
-Eshu
-Obatala
-and soponnaaaaa grin
I had this friend in secondary sch, any small thing, she would say Soponna will visit you. I had to ask her if it is a kind of 'willie-willie', when she told me the meaning, I just tire for the girl.
Now I know olokun, aint sure I have ever heard of it.
juz three months and u don gather followers lyk dz.... U aiit sha...
Re: Olokun by alcuin(m): 5:17pm On Sep 08, 2014
Why can't these christians go to their heaven and leave the rest of us in peace?

SMH
Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 5:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
iamord:

Safe in what aspect?

when last did u listened to world news??
Re: Olokun by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
Ifecoded: juz three months and u don gather followers lyk dz.... U aiit sha...
Why is everyone complaining about ma followers... are they plenty? sad
I'm more than three mths na, had an old acct, that wasn't mature to survive the NL crash, opened this new one and re-followed ma old hommies.
Re: Olokun by Ifecoded(m): 5:36pm On Sep 08, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
Why is everyone complaining about ma followers... are they plenty? sad
I'm more than three mths na, had an old acct, that wasn't mature to survive the NL crash, opened this new one and re-followed ma old hommies.
okies, i tot as much, u are handsome tho....
Re: Olokun by aemmy: 6:33pm On Sep 08, 2014
undecidedI opened this with the thought that I'll see pictures bt.....
Re: Olokun by LaRoyalHighness(f): 7:29pm On Sep 08, 2014
IGNORED.
OnyeEgo1:

if u are a christian u wouldnt want to learn anyoda tin dan d scriptures,,, wait do u think u av learn the scripture finish?... The holier than thou attitude was to show the CHRIST-like Nature in you dat made u diff from an unbeliever... Take one step further in ur sourjoun on earth as a christian

1 Like

Re: Olokun by Ekundayo7: 12:48am On Sep 09, 2014
tpia1:

dear, in Yoruba cosmology (or esoterism if you prefer that term), rivers are female, the ocean is mostly male.

Yemoja is who you have in mind, Olokun is male.

You are confused by the mami wata myths.
Dear, no confusion here, again, it depends on GEOGRAPHIC area and peoples inhabiting said area whether they view Olokun as "male" or "female". Yemoja is owner of the top portions of the ocean waters, Olokun owner off ALL WATERS, both sweet and salty and owner of the depths. According to Yoruba legend SHE was close friends with Orunmila and married Odudua, was a fashioner of beads and metal crowns and bracelet as supported by the beads and bead making artifacts discovered in her shrine in Ile-Ife. Whether people merely carried out those industry there in her shrine as tribute is unknown.
The odu of Ogbe Ate tells us a true story of Olokun, as the odu Ifa have been handed down orally for thousands of years, and it is to this authentic and reliable Yoruba source that I will tell one story of Olokun, and know that there are many other versions backed up by Odu Ifa, such as how Olokun became a cowrie diviner, or how she became the most powerful among all diviners.

Ogbe Ate

Olokun is one of the most prominent, powerful and courageous orisa on earth and she holds a very high position among all diviners, besides being one of the prettiest. Her home is in Ile-ife, in the area called Igbo Olokun. The followers of Olokun were not many in the beginning. Many of them were leaving to follow and worship other orisa. Those who left were saying "Olokun is too honest, she doesn't tolerate lies". Olokun only wanted honest people around her. Olokun's intelligence goes beyond ordinary human intelligence and she doesn't tolerate any kind of nonsense from anyone. Very neat and tidy, she detests a dirty environment.

One day Olokun realized that she was not achieving the mission that Olodumare had given her because she was so honest, detested lies, didn't like dirt, and did not tolerate those things in others. She decided to consult Baba Orunmila.

IROSUN-OGBE

To her surprise, he said that he would assist her and help her to solve all of her problems. He said he needed to make sacrifice and after doing so, all of the people who had left her would come back to join her again. Furthermore, he said that she would become a powerful orisa that everyone would worship, that the work would make her rich and had never been done before on earth. Olokun of course agreed on the spot to make the sacrifice.

One day Olokun noticed a big stone that was a lovely blue color, as if water were inside, in the backyard of her home. She began thinking about what she could use the stone for. Days later she decided to fashion a necklace using the blue stone and she made a lovely ileke. When the other diviners saw the ileke they began begging Olokun to please give them their own set of ileke necklace and wrist beads. They started buying the beads from Olokun and she began to be rich and famous, to the extent that all the people who left her came back and joined her. Olokun took them back as any merciful mother would. In spite of her fame, wealth, many followers and her power amongst all the irunmole and people, she still had one problem: she did not have a husband she could lay under so she could have a child. To solve this problem she went once again to Orunmila to ask for his help.

OGBE FUN

The odu that was divined for Olokun was Ogbe-Fun

Ifa said that she will have her own husband , that he will be someone of very good character from among the diviners, that she is the one he will marry, but she must make sacrifice. She carried out the sacrifice in grand style, following all that Ifa said.

Not much later all her prayers were answered.

This is when Odudua Olofin heard the news about Olokun and her powers and beautiful beads. He began buying necklaces and bracelets from her and he himself was an accomplished blacksmith who also made lovely necklaces and bracelets made of metal. Upon first meeting her he thought she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, and also saw that she not under any man, nor were there any men chasing her. She was clearly not an easy woman. He saw her as a very dignified woman and he began to look for a way to befriend her in order to take her as his wife. But he began to be afraid of her power and her position. He sent for Orunmila to divine the Ifa oracle for him. Heaven advised him to go ahead and propose to Olokun, that she would accept his offer and that he should make sacrifice in order to have many children with her. Odudua refused to make the sacrifice for children. To his great surprise, Olokun accepted his proposal to be his wife with no objections. This is how Olokun became the wife of Odudua Olofin.

But to his surprise, Olokun refused to move and live with Odudua in his palace as she said it would disrupt her work of making beads for necklaces and bracelets. Odudua accepted this because he loved her so much, and also because of her beauty, wealth, power and position in society. Olokun continued doing her work and without any doubts or compromise, she loved Odudua completely, but the fact is that she did not bear him any children. She still made beautiful jewelry for him, including a brass crown that was of such beauty that it was the most beautiful in all the land and it was on his head. Europeans discovered the glass making quarry and brass works that Olokun used to create her works on the border of Ileshe in Ogun State and Esinmirin in Ile-Ife, Oyo State.

As time went by, Olokun had lots of money, her blessings were accumulating, the irunmole were all coming to her side. Among all the diviners in Ile Ife it was Olokun who was the most famous (she was also an accomplished cowrie diviner). She was very generous to all and very happy to be in the midst of people and attending to their needs. This made all the irunmole want to be around her and also ask for her assistance, but it also made them jealous. Her shrine was always full and because of this they used to complain that they were really the better ones. Every year a festival was held for Olokun and everyone knew it would be the largest, grandest, and many gifts were handed out freely for all.

OSE OWONRIN
The verse of OSE WORIN tells us that the irunmole would choose to go to her festival over all the other's festivals and this caused so much jealousy that they agreed as a group to not attend her festival. Obatala consulted Ifa to see if he should go to her festival, or stay away with all the other irunmole. The irunmole asked Obatala if he was going and he said "No, I won't go", but Ifa told him to send his messenger, the Chameleon Alagemo, so Obatala could continue to have a friendship with Olokun. Unbeknownst to Obatala, all of the irunmole who had said they were not going to her festival, went, and when Alagemo the Chameleon saw this he cried "Oh NO! Obatala has been betrayed by them. Look at them all here!". Obatala had asked Alagemo to tell Olokun that his destiny had forbade him to attend her festival.

After the festival Chameleon appeared in the gardens of the all the irunmole and he took all of the colors of their clothes. This made them very afraid and they thought that Obatala was ready to do battle with them, thinking that he had sent his messenger on ahead. The irunmole all started to feel very guilty that they had betrayed Obatala but Olokun and Obatala remained friends in spite of the irunmole's attempts to make them quarrel.

Olokun was very troubled that the irunmole were not ready to honor and respect her. They thought they were all Gods, but not her. She went to Orunmila to talk to him, as she was not happy with everything that was happening on earth. She had decided to leave IFE land and told Orunmila that she would be amazed if he could find a solution to help her.

EJI OGBE
Orunmila divined for Olokun and the odu that came was Eji Ogbe. Orunmila assured her that all of her problems would resolve and she would find a new home. He asked her to do the sacrifice. He told her to go at night and get one calabash of water and in the morning one calabash of water, to go to the left side of earth and bring water and to the right side of earth to bring water, both morning and evening, and to go to the Red Sea to bring water. Orunmila used the waters to make sacrifice for her and when he was finished he said she should take the waters he had prayed over and to bathe her body, then stay inside her home for 7 days. She must not open the door, see anyone, or see daylight. She did exactly as he said.

On the third day she discovered that the door in front had turned to grass and the door in back had turned to copper. The wooden door on the right side had turned to zinc, and the door on the left side had turned to silver. On the seventh day when she decided it was safe to leave the house she saw that all under her home had become water. Olodumare had decided to giver her a house on top of the water. Olokun was amazed and set out to Orunmila's house to give him the news. He was very happy for her and she took him home to treat him as a pampered guest, entertaining and feeding him as he had never experienced before. He began to sing praises that Olokun had given him a wonderful gift and that he was happy Eledumare had allowed him to understand the message. Olokun began singing praises saying "IFA is great!". Ever since that day Orunmila enters the ocean to divine for Olokun. The story continues on as to how Orunmila came to live with Olokun for many years in her underwater realm.
PRAYER TO OLOKUN

​I bow before your mystery Olokun

The Queen of all Mothers

Mother of all Orisa

The Womb of all Life

The Keeper of feminine ASE

Womb of the whole World

Orisa of all Oceans and Rivers

It is you who holds the mystery of divine feminine Ase

​Mo juba O!

2 Likes

Re: Olokun by tpia1: 2:04am On Sep 09, 2014
^you should know olu is a male title meaning owner of, king or potentate.

ye, or iye is the female version which doesnt necessarily command/connote as much power.

so. its not about 'pofo', rather its about correctly interpreting the myths.

olokun is male, however, as with every other figure, females can sometimes represent or work in their service as well.

in addition, the gender varies by geographical location or purpose sometimes, as many of you pointed out.
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 5:58pm On Sep 09, 2014
Olokun is female both historically and spiritually in all tales I have received.
It's only Benin people and those they influenced like Itsekiri and Ilaje that personified olokun as Male.
Even to ijebu it is considered feminine
Re: Olokun by tpia1: 8:23pm On Sep 09, 2014
Can be either male or female depending on region and context.
Re: Olokun by kingston277(m): 10:44pm On Sep 09, 2014
2prexios:

Well I'm a christian too. This morning, before stepping out, my random reading of the Holy Scripture was Ps. 28:18. Meantime, there is a place for people's Historical tradition in the word of God. The word of God has not annul history and records of the inhabitants of the world.

Jesus said, "search ye the scriptures..." Yoruba historical/religious tradition is Yoruba scripture before the Hebrew scripture (bible) came on board at the advent of British west Africa.

So, it is part of the scripture meant to be searched for our salvation to be verified. And talking about tradition, the book of wisdom gave a candid instruction in the following:

Proverb 6

My son, keep your father’s commandment,
and forsake not your mother’s teaching.
21Bind them on your heart always;
tie them around your neck.
22When you walk, they will lead you;
when you lie down, they will watch over you;
and when you awake, they will talk with you.
23For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light,
and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life,
24to preserve you from the evil woman,
from the smooth tongue of the adulteress.

Olokun or Ifa tradition is our mother's teaching, it has preserved our fathers when they roam and so on, and now that we are awake, it is part of what will speak with us, we wont throw away the baby with the bath water.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things
Phillipians 4:8
awaken by the demons.
Re: Olokun by 2prexios: 11:02pm On Sep 09, 2014
kingston277:
awaken by the demons.
He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much. My ancestors are not demons sir, maybe yours are.

2 Likes

Re: Olokun by jantavanta(m): 10:24am On Sep 10, 2014
macof:

Cult of fire is highly associated with sango, fire is a manifestation of Aganju, Sango's father

Fire, Thunder, Lightning with Sango? Please can we specifically attribute Fire to Aganju, rather than to Sango? I thought Sango was limited to Thunder & Lightning.
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 1:58pm On Sep 10, 2014
jantavanta:

Fire, Thunder, Lightning with Sango? Please can we specifically attribute Fire to Aganju, rather than to Sango? I thought Sango was limited to Thunder & Lightning.

You see lightning is Mona-mona/mana-mana,in Yoruba..relating to sparks of light or fire.
Sango's parents Aganju and Obatala represent the chaotic heat(best example being fire) and the calm light respectively.
Also tress struck by lightning catch fire
But today I think Aganju cults have been absorbed into sango's. So priests are usually devoted and initiated to both
That's why fire is present in sango's shrines
Re: Olokun by 2prexios: 11:47am On Sep 11, 2014
macof: Olokun is female both historically and spiritually in all tales I have received.
It's only Benin people and those they influenced like Itsekiri and Ilaje that personified olokun as Male.
Even to ijebu it is considered feminine

macof:

What ese Ifa did u get that from about Olokun?
Btw omoba could refer to princess

I noticed you not talking spirituality but history.
Let's examine this points in Yoruba history.
Olokun is said to Olofin's wife in Odu Osa Meji, Olofin here often misinterpreted in,Santeria as Olorun, But in fact it is Oduduwa.
Olokun, a wealthy bead maker didn't have children, so Oduduwa married Osara whom gave birth to oduduwa's heir.

The link between Olokun and Orunmila(Agboniregun) is probably when she ran to The ocean near Epe, modern Lagos (probably her hometown) Orunmila found her and offered her sacrifice to be happy and return

tho I haven't got expert Translation to it, I would say "Ifa olokun asorodayo" relates to Ifa's speech to olokun turned to Joy
Back then anything and everything can be called sacrifice even words.

Ekundayo7:
Dear, no confusion here, again, it depends on GEOGRAPHIC area and peoples inhabiting said area whether they view Olokun as "male" or "female". Yemoja is owner of the top portions of the ocean waters, Olokun owner off ALL WATERS, both sweet and salty and owner of the depths. According to Yoruba legend SHE was close friends with Orunmila and married Odudua, was a fashioner of beads and metal crowns and bracelet as supported by the beads and bead making artifacts discovered in her shrine in Ile-Ife. Whether people merely carried out those industry there in her shrine as tribute is unknown.
The odu of Ogbe Ate tells us a true story of Olokun, as the odu Ifa have been handed down orally for thousands of years, and it is to this authentic and reliable Yoruba source that I will tell one story of Olokun, and know that there are many other versions backed up by Odu Ifa, such as how Olokun became a cowrie diviner, or how she became the most powerful among all diviners.

Ogbe Ate

Olokun is one of the most prominent, powerful and courageous orisa on earth and she holds a very high position among all diviners, besides being one of the prettiest. Her home is in Ile-ife, in the area called Igbo Olokun. The followers of Olokun were not many in the beginning. Many of them were leaving to follow and worship other orisa. Those who left were saying "Olokun is too honest, she doesn't tolerate lies". Olokun only wanted honest people around her. Olokun's intelligence goes beyond ordinary human intelligence and she doesn't tolerate any kind of nonsense from anyone. Very neat and tidy, she detests a dirty environment.

One day Olokun realized that she was not achieving the mission that Olodumare had given her because she was so honest, detested lies, didn't like dirt, and did not tolerate those things in others. She decided to consult Baba Orunmila.

IROSUN-OGBE

To her surprise, he said that he would assist her and help her to solve all of her problems. He said he needed to make sacrifice and after doing so, all of the people who had left her would come back to join her again. Furthermore, he said that she would become a powerful orisa that everyone would worship, that the work would make her rich and had never been done before on earth. Olokun of course agreed on the spot to make the sacrifice.

One day Olokun noticed a big stone that was a lovely blue color, as if water were inside, in the backyard of her home. She began thinking about what she could use the stone for. Days later she decided to fashion a necklace using the blue stone and she made a lovely ileke. When the other diviners saw the ileke they began begging Olokun to please give them their own set of ileke necklace and wrist beads. They started buying the beads from Olokun and she began to be rich and famous, to the extent that all the people who left her came back and joined her. Olokun took them back as any merciful mother would. In spite of her fame, wealth, many followers and her power amongst all the irunmole and people, she still had one problem: she did not have a husband she could lay under so she could have a child. To solve this problem she went once again to Orunmila to ask for his help.

OGBE FUN

The odu that was divined for Olokun was Ogbe-Fun

Ifa said that she will have her own husband , that he will be someone of very good character from among the diviners, that she is the one he will marry, but she must make sacrifice. She carried out the sacrifice in grand style, following all that Ifa said.

Not much later all her prayers were answered.

This is when Odudua Olofin heard the news about Olokun and her powers and beautiful beads. He began buying necklaces and bracelets from her and he himself was an accomplished blacksmith who also made lovely necklaces and bracelets made of metal. Upon first meeting her he thought she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen, and also saw that she not under any man, nor were there any men chasing her. She was clearly not an easy woman. He saw her as a very dignified woman and he began to look for a way to befriend her in order to take her as his wife. But he began to be afraid of her power and her position. He sent for Orunmila to divine the Ifa oracle for him. Heaven advised him to go ahead and propose to Olokun, that she would accept his offer and that he should make sacrifice in order to have many children with her. Odudua refused to make the sacrifice for children. To his great surprise, Olokun accepted his proposal to be his wife with no objections. This is how Olokun became the wife of Odudua Olofin.

But to his surprise, Olokun refused to move and live with Odudua in his palace as she said it would disrupt her work of making beads for necklaces and bracelets. Odudua accepted this because he loved her so much, and also because of her beauty, wealth, power and position in society. Olokun continued doing her work and without any doubts or compromise, she loved Odudua completely, but the fact is that she did not bear him any children. She still made beautiful jewelry for him, including a brass crown that was of such beauty that it was the most beautiful in all the land and it was on his head. Europeans discovered the glass making quarry and brass works that Olokun used to create her works on the border of Ileshe in Ogun State and Esinmirin in Ile-Ife, Oyo State.

As time went by, Olokun had lots of money, her blessings were accumulating, the irunmole were all coming to her side. Among all the diviners in Ile Ife it was Olokun who was the most famous (she was also an accomplished cowrie diviner). She was very generous to all and very happy to be in the midst of people and attending to their needs. This made all the irunmole want to be around her and also ask for her assistance, but it also made them jealous. Her shrine was always full and because of this they used to complain that they were really the better ones. Every year a festival was held for Olokun and everyone knew it would be the largest, grandest, and many gifts were handed out freely for all.

OSE OWONRIN
The verse of OSE WORIN tells us that the irunmole would choose to go to her festival over all the other's festivals and this caused so much jealousy that they agreed as a group to not attend her festival. Obatala consulted Ifa to see if he should go to her festival, or stay away with all the other irunmole. The irunmole asked Obatala if he was going and he said "No, I won't go", but Ifa told him to send his messenger, the Chameleon Alagemo, so Obatala could continue to have a friendship with Olokun. Unbeknownst to Obatala, all of the irunmole who had said they were not going to her festival, went, and when Alagemo the Chameleon saw this he cried "Oh NO! Obatala has been betrayed by them. Look at them all here!". Obatala had asked Alagemo to tell Olokun that his destiny had forbade him to attend her festival.

After the festival Chameleon appeared in the gardens of the all the irunmole and he took all of the colors of their clothes. This made them very afraid and they thought that Obatala was ready to do battle with them, thinking that he had sent his messenger on ahead. The irunmole all started to feel very guilty that they had betrayed Obatala but Olokun and Obatala remained friends in spite of the irunmole's attempts to make them quarrel.

Olokun was very troubled that the irunmole were not ready to honor and respect her. They thought they were all Gods, but not her. She went to Orunmila to talk to him, as she was not happy with everything that was happening on earth. She had decided to leave IFE land and told Orunmila that she would be amazed if he could find a solution to help her.

EJI OGBE
Orunmila divined for Olokun and the odu that came was Eji Ogbe. Orunmila assured her that all of her problems would resolve and she would find a new home. He asked her to do the sacrifice. He told her to go at night and get one calabash of water and in the morning one calabash of water, to go to the left side of earth and bring water and to the right side of earth to bring water, both morning and evening, and to go to the Red Sea to bring water. Orunmila used the waters to make sacrifice for her and when he was finished he said she should take the waters he had prayed over and to bathe her body, then stay inside her home for 7 days. She must not open the door, see anyone, or see daylight. She did exactly as he said.

On the third day she discovered that the door in front had turned to grass and the door in back had turned to copper. The wooden door on the right side had turned to zinc, and the door on the left side had turned to silver. On the seventh day when she decided it was safe to leave the house she saw that all under her home had become water. Olodumare had decided to giver her a house on top of the water. Olokun was amazed and set out to Orunmila's house to give him the news. He was very happy for her and she took him home to treat him as a pampered guest, entertaining and feeding him as he had never experienced before. He began to sing praises that Olokun had given him a wonderful gift and that he was happy Eledumare had allowed him to understand the message. Olokun began singing praises saying "IFA is great!". Ever since that day Orunmila enters the ocean to divine for Olokun. The story continues on as to how Orunmila came to live with Olokun for many years in her underwater realm.
PRAYER TO OLOKUN

​I bow before your mystery Olokun

The Queen of all Mothers

Mother of all Orisa

The Womb of all Life

The Keeper of feminine ASE

Womb of the whole World

Orisa of all Oceans and Rivers

It is you who holds the mystery of divine feminine Ase

​Mo juba O!

@macof, it is impossible to use Christianity to validate Judaism for instance, likewise, you can't use Santeria's dinlogun [/i]or Erindinlogun to validate Ifa Oracular dicta.

Santeria is an apocrypha of Ifa, not Ifa as apocrypha of Santeria. Likewise, Christian doctrine derived from Judaism, and not Judaism deriving from Christianity.

We do not have to depend on the conclusion of Santeria [i]Dilogun
to establish Yoruba history. There is a reason it is so called Syncretism, because it has incorporated foreign stories.

Meanwhile, you can hardly come about free flow of tradition from one Ifa verse to the other as you portrayed in your Ekundayo7 handle, in Yoruba Ifa verses, the stories used as checkered anecdotes are meant to be Awo, secrets.
Re: Olokun by kingston277(m): 1:51pm On Sep 11, 2014
2prexios: He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much. My ancestors are not demons sir, maybe yours are.
Your ancestors were christian? Or adherents to colonialism?
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 3:44pm On Sep 11, 2014
2prexios:

@macof, it is impossible to use Christianity to validate Judaism for instance, likewise, you can't use Santeria's dinlogun [/i]or Erindinlogun to validate Ifa Oracular dicta.

Santeria is an apocrypha of Ifa, not Ifa as apocrypha of Santeria. Likewise, Christian doctrine derived from Judaism, and not Judaism deriving from Christianity.

We do not have to depend on the conclusion of Santeria [i]Dilogun
to establish Yoruba history. There is a reason it is so called Syncretism, because it has incorporated foreign stories.

Meanwhile, you can hardly come about free flow of tradition from one Ifa verse to the other as you portrayed in your Ekundayo7 handle, in Yoruba Ifa verses, the stories used as checkered anecdotes are meant to be Awo, secrets.

My reason for mentioning santeria is because it's known that Olofin is the husband of Olokun but the santeros confuse Olofin with Olorun.
My post made this clear enough.

Ekundayo7 is not my handle
Re: Olokun by GooseBaba: 4:12pm On Sep 11, 2014
macof:

My reason for mentioning santeria is because it's known that Olofin is the husband of Olokun but the santeros confuse Olofin with Olorun.

Ekundayo7 is not my handle

Mr, Ekundayo7 how market..? grin grin is this another Koloyinbo moment.... grin grin
Re: Olokun by Ekundayo7: 4:52pm On Sep 11, 2014
macof:

ekundayo7 is not my handle
GooseBaba:

Mr, Ekundayo7 how market..? grin grin is this another Koloyinbo moment.... grin grin
[size=18pt]Someone ( "macof","GooseBaba" ) has a problem with me here? Please, pray tell, what specifically is troubling you? Have I somehow hurt your feelings? Your sense of superiority? Would you both care to elucidate on your issue with me? Is this something so troubling to you both you have resorted to name calling on NL? Feckoff and OgogoroBaba, where exactly does it hurt you? And "market" is just fine, thank God, I manage my destiny through the grace of Olodumare, Ifa and the orisa to help many people, which is more than most humans with their miserly selfish lives can say. And by the way, what makes you so sure I'm a "Mr". I suggest you both keep your noses in your own spiritual life; if you truly have one.[/size]
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 5:31pm On Sep 11, 2014
GooseBaba:

I tell you grin some mofos on this forum just making baseless accusations.

Where is that old gay now sef? I miss yarbin d man grin
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 5:35pm On Sep 11, 2014
@Ekundayo7 what are you trying to say, I don't quite get you sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"igbos Are Descendent Of Sudanese And Igala That Mixed Up With White Jews" / Olaoye: Court Sacks Soun Of Ogbomoso, Orders Fresh Selection process / Tafida Bawo: Emir Of Rano Suspends District Heads, Strips Them Of Titles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.