Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,793 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Olokun - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Olokun (26296 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola At Olokun Festival (Photos) / Statue Of Ori Olokun In Brazil / Ori Olokun Unveiled In Ile Ife Osun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 11:10pm On Sep 07, 2014
Ekundayo7:

Excuse me Did you learn this kind of rude behavior in your father's house? Were you raised to make assumptions about "traditional worshipers" without getting firsthand knowledge before running your mouth off? Were you raised to think you are somehow "superior" to an Ifa herbalist who started learning when he stood only knee high to his elder? Were you raised with a "superiority complex" because you are "Christian and saved" yet are too blind to see that you yourself and your ancestors are suffering from the worst of all inferiority complexes: being born AFRICAN = PAGAN = BECAUSE MY WHITE COLONIZER SAID SO? Do you see Ifa traditionalist coming here to bash the name of Jesus, and nastily comment "I guess the Admin is OP client for putting up THIS KIND of thread ABOUT JESUS on front page this SUNDAY morning. Do you own the day called Sunday? Does JESUS own the day called Sunday? Did your pastor tell you that SUNDAY ALL OVER THE WORLD IS ONLY FOR CHRISTIANS. I feel extremely sorry for the sheer ignorance and stupidity you two have both displayed. I know dozens of Babalawo and Iyanifa, me being one of them, who possess character and actions more worthy of being called "CHARITABLE" than the face of Christianity in Nigeria today. How dare you. Someday you will figure out your ancestors threw away the finest riches they possessed-their cultural traditions and worship, their link to the land and their harmony and blessings in this world. I feel sorry for you both.

*clears throat** point of correction sir JESUS own the whole day of the whole week in a whole year, he own me and u, cos of u,me and IFA worshippers he DIED for our sins to save us from everlasting torment/purnishment WORSHIP hIM halleluyah!

1 Like

Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 11:11pm On Sep 07, 2014
LaRoyalHighness: *grabs chair...(I just want to learn).

then learn the scriptures cos it is dat who brought u SALVATION, no ifa nor olokun gave anyone the benefit of salvation
Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 11:16pm On Sep 07, 2014
AspDrone:
Am a Yoruba. A christian but this fellow just won the argument.
Christians condems toooo much and that's pathetic. I can only support when its against some set of 'muslims' but to other religions,its a shame to us as christians to condem them for what they stand for.
The sky is wide enough....

then i have every cause too as a christian to question ur salvation if u can allow things which does not give life but brings death to circulate and be ok with it... Then i wud ask are u saved yet?? Rom 10:8-10
Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 11:19pm On Sep 07, 2014
I don't naturally comment on thread like dis but it made FP atleast d world is reading it, and also CHRISTIANS are surprising me with their comments, as a christ-like being u are to LIVE by HIS word alone!! I feel like teaching and preachin at d same tym
Re: Olokun by dhaewood(m): 11:52pm On Sep 07, 2014
Re: Olokun by tpia1: 1:00am On Sep 08, 2014
alcuin: Op.... Olokun is a "she" and not a "he". .

olokun is a he.
Re: Olokun by iamord(m): 4:50am On Sep 08, 2014
OnyeEgo1:

*clears throat** point of correction sir JESUS own the whole day of the whole week in a whole year, he own me and u, cos of u,me and IFA worshippers he DIED for our sins to save us from everlasting torment/purnishment WORSHIP hIM halleluyah!

Are. The Mods seeing this?
Re: Olokun by LaRoyalHighness(f): 6:51am On Sep 08, 2014
I have the right to learn whatever I feel like learning. What's wrong with we' Christians with the holier than thou attitude?(when I expect you to practice that scripture, ..you will fail). *Dont quote me again.
OnyeEgo1:

then learn the scriptures cos it is dat who brought u SALVATION, no ifa nor olokun gave anyone the benefit of salvation
Re: Olokun by HawtMummie(f): 7:25am On Sep 08, 2014
Olokun being the mother of wealth could originate from the simple fact that "cowries" which was widely used in this parts in days of old as legal tender are gotten from the sea shores...
Re: Olokun by Ekundayo7: 8:14am On Sep 08, 2014
OnyeEgo1:

That's YOUR BELIEF. Kindly untangle it from others right to worship in whatever faith/belief they choose.
Re: Olokun by Ekundayo7: 8:20am On Sep 08, 2014
tpia1:

olokun is a he.
All orisa energy is both male and female. Depends geographically if people view Olokun as "he" or "she". That's our problem, we anthropomorphize everything, trying to understand the divine and make it fit into human terms. For me Olokun is "she", great mother, owner of all riches and blessings.

1 Like

Re: Olokun by murphyonline(m): 8:30am On Sep 08, 2014
OnyeEgo1:

pls i dnt seems to understand sometins here again o nd i nid to be corrected if my view is wrong. Frm wt u said above, if Jesus own all dat den wt does God own nd is jesus God because dy said God created heaven and earth and every tin in it witout saying jesus own dem. Dnt forget dt bfor d birth of jesus all dis tin has been in existence. Nid more clearification on dis.
Re: Olokun by 2prexios: 11:07am On Sep 08, 2014
OnyeEgo1: I don't naturally comment on thread like dis but it made FP atleast d world is reading it, and also CHRISTIANS are surprising me with their comments, as a christ-like being u are to LIVE by HIS word alone!! I feel like teaching and preachin at d same tym

Well I'm a christian too. This morning, before stepping out, my random reading of the Holy Scripture was Ps. 28:18. Meantime, there is a place for people's Historical tradition in the word of God. The word of God has not annul history and records of the inhabitants of the world.

Jesus said, "search ye the scriptures..." Yoruba historical/religious tradition is Yoruba scripture before the Hebrew scripture (bible) came on board at the advent of British west Africa.

So, it is part of the scripture meant to be searched for our salvation to be verified. And talking about tradition, the book of wisdom gave a candid instruction in the following:

Proverb 6

My son, keep your father’s commandment,
and forsake not your mother’s teaching.
21Bind them on your heart always;
tie them around your neck.
22When you walk, they will lead you;
when you lie down, they will watch over you;
and when you awake, they will talk with you.
23For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light,
and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life,
24to preserve you from the evil woman,
from the smooth tongue of the adulteress.

Olokun or Ifa tradition is our mother's teaching, it has preserved our fathers when they roam and so on, and now that we are awake, it is part of what will speak with us, we wont throw away the baby with the bath water.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things
Phillipians 4:8
Re: Olokun by 2prexios: 11:29am On Sep 08, 2014
OJODEL10: if this phrase is for olokun, does it mean that he is moses son as we know that it was only moses that had encounter with bush burning?

I know what you want to get me to say right from the very start my master, but sometimes we have to also respect the desires of some of our own that does not see things the way we see them, hence I have not invoke any foreign name like Moses. We can always do that on "the arena threads" meant solely for that.

Here, let the traditionalists have a field day for once. I love you sir, and to answer your question, it is Olokun that is "omo inajoko majerun", not his son.
Re: Olokun by 2prexios: 11:35am On Sep 08, 2014
macof: @op where did you learn that Olokun means "divider of the sea"?

And by "omo ina joko ma j'erun" do you mean this as an Oriki for Orunmila or Olokun?

The secret is embedded in that verse, can't translate it: there ought to be something curious in Yoruba language (for the next generation) to make them want to investigate it vs-avis their universal religion, and by so doing promote it.

By omo inajoko maj'erun, I am not pointing to Orunmila, but to Olokun.

I have not invoked Orunmila on this thread.
Re: Olokun by tpia1: 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2014
Ekundayo7:
All orisa energy is both male and female. Depends geographically if people view Olokun as "he" or "she". That's our problem, we anthropomorphize everything, trying to understand the divine and make it fit into human terms. For me Olokun is "she", great mother, owner of all riches and blessings.

dear, in Yoruba cosmology (or esoterism if you prefer that term), rivers are female, the ocean is mostly male.

Yemoja is who you have in mind, Olokun is male.

You are confused by the mami wata myths.
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 12:15pm On Sep 08, 2014
HawtMummie: Olokun being the mother of wealth could originate from the simple fact that "cowries" which was widely used in this parts in days of old as legal tender are gotten from the sea shores...

Yh you could be right cheesy

Aje is said to reside with her

1 Like

Re: Olokun by 2prexios: 12:20pm On Sep 08, 2014
tpia is right, Olokun is a male character.

Olokun in that piece was a man, and going by the mood of what the verse was saying, omoba is a prince, not princess. It also says bi a ko ba ba Oba gbe, that is, if we do not live in the court of a king, Abe Oba kii pani lori, the blade of the king wont chop off our head. Then it alert the listener, iwo naa sure lo aarin igbe o too dako, meaning you too must flee to the middle of the bush to start farming.

The precept is not feminine in nature. Meanwhile, the woman that is often spotted with Olokun was a disciple of Olokun, Odu, because she was also an Ifa exponent at the onset of time. Three exponents of Ifa long after Olokun: Orunmila (Obarisha), Ela (aka Ifa, Agbonmregun), and Odu (aka Esu).
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 12:26pm On Sep 08, 2014
2prexios:

The secret is embedded in that verse, can't translate it: there ought to be something curious in Yoruba language (for the next generation) to make them want to investigate it vs-avis their universal religion, and by so doing promote it.

By omo inajoko maj'erun, I am not pointing to Orunmila, but to Olokun.

I have not invoked Orunmila on this thread.

Hmm. Great to know, I would discuss this with some of my people

U did mention Orunmila, I know most of Orunmila's oriki so I was making sure. Anyway forget it
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 12:29pm On Sep 08, 2014
tpia1:

dear, in Yoruba cosmology (or esoterism if you prefer that term), rivers are female, the ocean is mostly male.

Yemoja is who you have in mind, Olokun is male.

You are confused by the mami wata myths.

This is not a cause for argument. These are symbolic representations so where some identify the spirit of the oceans as female some may see it as male.
Even Obatala is both male and female so is oduduwa, Aje, Aroni and many others
Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 2:21pm On Sep 08, 2014
2prexios:

Well I'm a christian too. This morning, before stepping out, my random reading of the Holy Scripture was Ps. 28:18. Meantime, there is a place for people's Historical tradition in the word of God. The word of God has not annul history and records of the inhabitants of the world.

Jesus said, "search ye the scriptures..." Yoruba historical/religious tradition is Yoruba scripture before the Hebrew scripture (bible) came on board at the advent of British west Africa.

So, it is part of the scripture meant to be searched for our salvation to be verified. And talking about tradition, the book of wisdom gave a candid instruction in the following:

Proverb 6

My son, keep your father’s commandment,
and forsake not your mother’s teaching.
21Bind them on your heart always;
tie them around your neck.
22When you walk, they will lead you;
when you lie down, they will watch over you;
and when you awake, they will talk with you.
23For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light,
and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life,
24to preserve you from the evil woman,
from the smooth tongue of the adulteress.

Olokun or Ifa tradition is our mother's teaching, it has preserved our fathers when they roam and so on, and now that we are awake, it is part of what will speak with us, we wont throw away the baby with the bath water.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things
Phillipians 4:8

my dear u are taking ur understanding from the knowledge of the world all dose scripture u quote, u did not give a proper insight into it, wen jesus said 'search the scripture' he was talking abt himself read john 14 with understanding, all dose things such as olokun are dead things which did not give u salvation.. If u must be a christian be a christian in totality of the knowledge of d word of GOD in u... And rely on one knowledge which is christ JESUS
Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 2:25pm On Sep 08, 2014
murphyonline:

pls i dnt seems to understand sometins here again o nd i nid to be corrected if my view is wrong. Frm wt u said above, if Jesus own all dat den wt does God own nd is jesus God because dy said God created heaven and earth and every tin in it witout saying jesus own dem. Dnt forget dt bfor d birth of jesus all dis tin has been in existence. Nid more clearification on dis.

take ur bible: read gospel of john 1:1-14, the begininin was the word the word was with God, the word is JESUS... Everytin was created tru him.. There was notin dat was created witout him
Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 2:37pm On Sep 08, 2014
Ekundayo7:
That's YOUR BELIEF. Kindly untangle it from others right to worship in whatever faith/belief they choose.

yea its as choice to worship oda gods but its a destructive choice liken to self inflicted death sentence... Take a wise choice today.. A Jesus Choice
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 2:39pm On Sep 08, 2014
2prexios: tpia is right, Olokun is a male character.

Olokun in that piece was a man, and going by the mood of what the verse was saying, omoba is a prince, not princess. It also says bi a ko ba ba Oba gbe, that is, if we do not live in the court of a king, Abe Oba kii pani lori, the blade of the king wont chop off our head. Then it alert the listener, iwo naa sure lo aarin igbe o too dako, meaning you too must flee to the middle of the bush to start farming.

The precept is not feminine in nature. Meanwhile, the woman that is often spotted with Olokun was a disciple of Olokun, Odu, because she was also an Ifa exponent at the onset of time..

What ese Ifa did u get that from about Olokun?
Btw omoba could refer to princess

I noticed you not talking spirituality but history.
Let's examine this points in Yoruba history.
Olokun is said to Olofin's wife in Odu Osa Meji, Olofin here often misinterpreted in,Santeria as Olorun, But in fact it is Oduduwa.
Olokun, a wealthy bead maker didn't have children, so Oduduwa married Osara whom gave birth to oduduwa's heir.

The link between Olokun and Orunmila(Agboniregun) is probably when she ran to The ocean near Epe, modern Lagos (probably her hometown) Orunmila found her and offered her sacrifice to be happy and return

tho I haven't got expert Translation to it, I would say "Ifa olokun asorodayo" relates to Ifa's speech to olokun turned to Joy
Back then anything and everything can be called sacrifice even words.
Re: Olokun by OnyeEgo1(m): 2:43pm On Sep 08, 2014
LaRoyalHighness: I have the right to learn whatever I feel like learning. What's wrong with we' Christians with the holier than thou attitude?(when I expect you to practice that scripture, ..you will fail). *Dont quote me again.

if u are a christian u wouldnt want to learn anyoda tin dan d scriptures,,, wait do u think u av learn the scripture finish?... The holier than thou attitude was to show the CHRIST-like Nature in you dat made u diff from an unbeliever... Take one step further in ur sourjoun on earth as a christian
Re: Olokun by alcuin(m): 2:50pm On Sep 08, 2014
Well....I don't know if the Binis regard Olokun as male but in Delta, among the Itsekiris and Urhobos, there is an equivalent deity called Omalokun, Queen of the Waters. One is often tempted to draw similarities between Olokun and Omalokun.

The festival of Omalokun holds every September amidst the heavy rains.
Re: Olokun by macof(m): 2:51pm On Sep 08, 2014
2prexios: Orunmila (Obarisha), Ela (aka Ifa, Agbonmregun), and Odu (aka Esu)
Orunmila is not Obarisha, Obatala is

But am intrigued with this your idea of Odu being Esu...where did u come about this?
Re: Olokun by 2prexios: 3:04pm On Sep 08, 2014
macof:

What ese Ifa did u get that from about Olokun?
Btw omoba could refer to princess

I noticed you not talking spirituality but history.
Olokun is said to Olofin's wife in Odu Osa Meji, Olofin here often misinterpreted in,Santeria as Olorun, But in fact it is Oduduwa.
Olokun, a wealthy bead maker didn't have children, so Oduduwa married Osara whom gave birth to oduduwa's heir.

The link between Olokun and Orunmila(Agboniregun) is probably when she ran to The ocean near Epe, modern Lagos (probably her hometown) Orunmila found her and offered her sacrifice to be happy and return

tho I haven't got expert Translation to it, I would say "Ifa olokun asorodayo" relates to Ifa's speech to olokun turned to Joy
Back then anything and everything can be called sacrifice even words.

Good job, study the theme of the opening verse keenly, it derived from Odu Eji-Ologbon, hence I said it epitomise wisdom. I can't use one Ifa verse to verify anoda.
Re: Olokun by 2prexios: 3:20pm On Sep 08, 2014
macof:
Orunmila is not Obarisha, Obatala is

But am intrigued with this your idea of Odu being Esu...where did u come about this?
It depends on your inclinations, its either Orisala or Orunmila, Obarisa is 'king of the chosen' and both were kings in their epoch. They weren't cotemporaries. 'Odu' means 'blacky', and 'Esu' means 'darkish'. You can verify this linguistically if you are keen at it.
Re: Olokun by jantavanta(m): 3:43pm On Sep 08, 2014
AMossley: Bottom line:Thou shall serve no other god(s) except me,the living God

Yes, that was the declaration of Pharaoh Akhenaten (previously Amenhotep IV) after he raised an African God Aten, above Amen and all other Gods of Ancient Egypt.

After Babylonian captivity, Ezra the Persian scribe changed Akhenaten to Moses in order to expunge Africa from the scriptures.
Re: Olokun by alcuin(m): 3:54pm On Sep 08, 2014
jantavanta:

Yes, that was the declaration of Pharaoh Akhenaten (previously Amenhotep IV) after he raised an African God Aten, above Amen and all other Gods of Ancient Egypt.

After Babylonian captivity, Ezra the Persian scribe changed Akhenaten to Moses in order to expunge Africa from the scriptures.

AMORC
Re: Olokun by jantavanta(m): 3:55pm On Sep 08, 2014
OJODEL10: if this phrase is for olokun, does it mean that he is moses son as we know that it was only moses that had encounter with bush burning?

It could mean that Fire Philosophy, which is usually attributed to Zoroastrianism, has a Yoruba origin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Olaoye: Court Sacks Soun Of Ogbomoso, Orders Fresh Selection process / "igbos Are Descendent Of Sudanese And Igala That Mixed Up With White Jews" / Ooni Ogunwusi At Bukky Wright Movie “Iwure Olofin” Premiere In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.