Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,684 members, 7,955,542 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:47 AM

3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria (14880 Views)

Many Ways Recruiters Prevent Nigerian Graduate's From Getting Jobs / Facts About Getting Jobs Abroad / Getting Jobs In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by xfire: 10:42am On Sep 04, 2014
imag5: greetings to all my noble professionals,i like what you doing xfire,keep up the good work sorry to say these i disagree with some point mention here,
first let me make this clear,what work for mr A,will not Work for mr B,the world is fast moving whereby employer does not care wether you are a grad or not,we are in the era of what do you have to offer,what can you bring to the table,certification are important if you have the means of doing it,if you dont have the means then keep looking for graduate job,i will like to tell the house these one of my friend i mentor got a job in a global coy..APM,finished from school no job a graduate of mechanical,but he has the money to run some programs,not too spectacular result from university,i advise him on some course to do to enhance himself,did nebosh igc,after doing it started applying for jobs and he got call for an experience role as vessel planner at APM,today he is a big boy earning good pay in a short period,how abt my friend got a job with nigerdock as autocad designer i told him to learn autocad after everything it he got interview with nigerdock,doing the interview they were ask to design, he was the best,funny enough young grad dont know how to design with simple software...earning 15k per day in nigerdock as graduate cad designer,my brother never did any certification but was pick by IOC,though he made 1.1,so it work for A,and it not might not work for B.
The issue of msc is another area i will like to talk about i do advise young grad if you dont have any job at the moment why not apply for msc and still do job hunting,DONT CREATE A VACCUM,ALWAYS BE BUSY NO MATTER WHAT.
I dont have a msc,but am planning to get one in my field as a geophysicst you start making wave when you have a msc,thats when coys like mobil,total will listen to you and other nice coy in lagos if you want to earn six digit.
Last bullet you have a phone worth 80k as a graduate and you can do simple HSE FOR 35k.....
a mechanical gradaute dont know how to use autocad........
it only God that can judge.
graduate are shouting no jobs....some smart dude are out there making things happen.

It not going to be easy is either you in or out...either you win or loose...life is a choice but I choose to win.

I RISE
IMAG5

great contribution. I like the flavor you have added to this. There must always be a balance and you have provided that effectively.

Sure certifications, MSc and 'man-know-man' connections can help to secure jobs. But they are not mandatory. Definitely, certifications are necessary for some specialized jobs. Certifications may also be necessary if you intend to make a total career switch. But fresh grads still get jobs and will continue to get many jobs without certifications.
MSc is also a nice-to-have. I might have gone for one if I had graduated at a much younger age. I am not discouraging anyone from going for one. MSc may be needed if you plan to do a career switch e.g. from physics to geophysics. But they need to know that it doesn't give them a significant advantage over others. Few grad jobs require it. Grads can still get meaningful jobs without having one. I plan to get one in the nearest future.
No doubt, people still get jobs through connections and recommendations in Nigeria. But the influence of nepotism and connection is widely exaggerated. Most good jobs are still largely based on merit.
Ultimately, it is your ability to convince the employers that get you the jobs - your employability (not certifications and postgraduate degrees)

Cheers.......

5 Likes

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Mixty: 11:04am On Sep 04, 2014
wroskian: Thought provoking.
Really thought provoking...
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 04, 2014
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 04, 2014
What works for Mr. A may not work for Mr. B ....Masters and certifications are good in their own ways...

A masters degree abroad from UK or USA etc will give you an edge over others during shortlisting of candidates. .. Big coys value international certificates. . Many guys that resumed with Shell earlier this year through SRD have masters abroad, one I know has msc from Oxford..

Those with 2-2 can also improve their employability through a masters degree or certifications as most big coys don't employ 2-2 graduates but may consider when the person has a good masters degree or relevant certifications to back up eg Halliburton etc

Instead of staying idle for years waiting for a job, engage in something meaningful.... if you can get somewhere to garner experience, better because experience surpasses all...

1 Like

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 04, 2014
xfire:

great contribution. I like the flavor you have added to this. There must always be a balance and you have provided that effectively.

Sure certifications, MSc and 'man-know-man' connections can help to secure jobs. But they are not mandatory. Definitely, certifications are necessary for some specialized jobs. Certifications may also be necessary if you intend to make a total career switch. But fresh grads still get jobs and will continue to get many jobs without certifications.
MSc is also a nice-to-have. I might have gone for one if I had graduated at a much younger age. I am not discouraging anyone from going for one. MSc may be needed if you plan to do a career switch e.g. from physics to geophysics. But they need to know that it doesn't give them a significant advantage over others. Few grad jobs require it. Grads can still get meaningful jobs without having one. I plan to get one in the nearest future.
No doubt, people still get jobs through connections and recommendations in Nigeria. But the influence of nepotism and connection is widely exaggerated. Most good jobs are still largely based on merit.
Ultimately, it is your ability to convince the employers that get you the jobs - your employability (not certifications and postgraduate degrees)

Cheers.......
My oga read my post very well sir i did not talk about connection or man no man,I belive getting job by merit still works in Nigeria, i got my job on merit based but to tell the truth the era will going to now in Nigeria most job now comes on recommendations... How come for example coys like GE always place advert and no body been call for interview, my classmate apply to GE several times no call,he was able to get a contact from GE via LinkedIn and ask the person to recommend him,today my guy is with GE...so what work for A will not work for B.
Cheers........imag5
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
Stick with what will for work for you...learn GMAT pass test and ace all the interview stage...God bless all.
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Feex: 12:45pm On Sep 04, 2014
MarvellousGod:

A masters degree abroad from UK or USA etc will give you an edge over others during shortlisting of candidates. .. Big coys value international certificates. . Many guys that resumed with Shell earlier this year through SRD have masters abroad, one I know has msc from Oxford..
Edge over others during shortlisting? That's not true. They shortlist everyone that meets their basic requirements. Everybody has got a chance.

I agree. Many companies value international certificates but it is not compulsory. Just the way you know many MSc guys that resumed with Shell, I also know a lot with foreign MSc and still did not make it. I know a lot of BSc holders that have passed the SRD in the past; I know many that didn't scale through.

The Op is simply saying that it is not a necessity for job placement.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by xfire: 12:59pm On Sep 04, 2014
MarvellousGod:
Those with 2-2 can also improve their employability through a masters degree or certifications as most big coys don't employ 2-2 graduates but may consider when the person has a good masters degree or relevant certifications to back up eg Halliburton etc
Yes, I think I once wrote an article on that. I will always advise a recent graduate with 2.2 or less to augment his / her degree with a masters if possible, especially if he/she doesn't get a job on time. It's always better to get a good grade cos it saves one a lot of stress. Even a 2.1 is not a guarantee any longer. But there is always hope for all of us irrespective of grade. I see grads with 2.2 and 3rd class who are doing excellently well. A relative of mine is a COREN certified civil engineering consultant. He is highly sought after for construction projects. And he made a 3rd class. Same with another relative who made a 2.2 in electrical engineering. He did some programming courses after graduation and he is now a programmer for a respectable firm after staying at home for almost 3 years.

Cheers......

3 Likes

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 04, 2014
Feex:
Edge over others during shortlisting? That's not true. They shortlist everyone that meets their basic requirements. Everybody has got a chance.

I agree. Many companies value international certificates but it is not compulsory. Just the way you know many MSc guys that resumed with Shell, I also know a lot with foreign MSc and still did not make it. I know a lot of BSc holders that have passed the SRD in the past; I know many that didn't scale through.

The Op is simply saying that it is not a necessity for job placement.
For a job that needs just a person or two, I tell you an abroad msc will give you an edge....You can't compare what's obtainable in Naija to over there.... you think they will leave out one with msc from a reputable university abroad? ? undecided Some companies do shortlist before they call for test/interview and some times many qualified persons are left out maybe because they need just few persons and so select those they think are better qualified. ..

For the rest of your post, we're saying same thing, Masters and Certifications can't be ruled out completely. . They're useful in their own way...Some jobs even require you some certifications. ...

@bolded, I can tell you certifications or msc can be very necessary especially when you have a grade lower than 2-1...

All jobs don't have same requirements, some may require some certifications/msc while some may not.. for the fact Mr. A got a job without these doesn't mean same will apply to Mr. B.. there's no hard-and-fast rule to getting a job hence there should be no generalisation like you don't need a Certification or msc etc...

Anyway, the best among them still remains getting a relevant experience. ..
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 04, 2014
xfire:
Yes, I think I once wrote an article on that. I will always advise a recent graduate with 2.2 or less to augment his / her degree with a masters if possible, especially if he/she doesn't get a job on time. It's always better to get a good grade cos it saves one a lot of stress. Even a 2.1 is not a guarantee any longer. But there is always hope for all of us irrespective of grade. I see grads with 2.2 and 3rd class who are doing excellently well. A relative of mine is a COREN certified civil engineering consultant. He is highly sought after for construction projects. And he made a 3rd class. Same with another relative who made a 2.2 in electrical engineering. He did some programming courses after graduation and he is now a programmer for a respectable firm after staying at home for almost 3 years.

Cheers......
Eehhheemm, now you're talking. . Certifications can't be left out after all..

Regards and have a great day ahead smiley
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Feex: 1:21pm On Sep 04, 2014
MarvellousGod: For a job that needs just a person or two, I tell you an abroad msc will give you an edge....You can't compare what's obtainable in Naija to over there.... you think they will leave out one with msc from a reputable university abroad? ? undecided Some companies do shortlist before they call for test/interview and some times many qualified persons are left out...

For the rest of your post, we're saying same thing, Masters and Certifications can't be ruled out completely. . They're useful in their own way...Some jobs even require you some certifications. ...

@bolded, I can tell you certifications or msc can be very necessary especially when you have a grade lower than 2-1...

All jobs don't have same requirements, some may require some certifications/msc while some may not.. for the fact Mr. A got a job without these doesn't mean same will apply to Mr. B.. there's no hard-and-fast rule to getting a job hence there should be no generalisation like you don't need a Certification or msc etc...

Anyway, the best among them still remains getting a relevant experience. ..
Having a MSc does not guarantee you for a job that requires ONLY 2 candidates. Let me even assume that you are correct. Look at this hypothetical story -Imagine 1000 applicants apply for a job that requires only 2 people. Let's say 50 out of the 1000 have foreign MSc. What will the remaining 48 get? undecided The incremental advantage of spending a lot of money on Masters abroad is not high.

The op never said you do not need a certification or MSc. he only said that you mustn't have one to get a job. That's the message he is passing.

1 Like

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
Feex:
Having a MSc does not guarantee you for a job that requires ONLY 2 candidates. Let me even assume that you are correct. Look at this hypothetical story -Imagine 1000 applicants apply for a job that requires only 2 people. Let's say 50 out of the 1000 have foreign MSc. What will the remaining 48 get? undecided The incremental advantage of spending a lot of money on Masters abroad is not high.

The op never said you do not need a certification or MSc. he only said that you mustn't have one to get a job. That's the message he is passing.
And where did i say having a MSc guarantees one employment? undecided

Your last paragraph has summarised everything. ...so peace!!
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by tuwayz(m): 3:32pm On Sep 04, 2014
Please sir Xfire, can we atleast see your face? Thanks

1 Like

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by oladayo042: 3:46pm On Sep 04, 2014
@Xfire
God bless you for your comment on certifications. I keep telling my friends: "Don't let anyone sell you a piece of paper, for any amount, under the guise that it will make you more employable."
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by xfire: 4:26pm On Sep 04, 2014
Feex:

You are correct sir. That's really what I'm conveying. I have decided to replace the 'need' with 'must have' to reduce the confusion.
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Perotti: 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2014
Pls guys, do u know any fresh grad working with IITA? Thats my dream coy but i don't know anyone there who can give me relevant advice on how to get a position with them.
Thanks
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 04, 2014
An Electricity and Engineering company is currently recruiting into several interesting positions. This is your chance to start an exciting career and be rewarded handsomely for it.
Locations: South-Western Region, Nigeria.
Requirements: Ages 27 and below
CGPA: Minimum of a 2:2

Resume submissions should be made to this link: http://www.dis-recruit.com/

Best of Luck!
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Mixty: 5:06pm On Sep 04, 2014
Perotti: Pls guys, do u know any fresh grad working with IITA? Thats my dream coy but i don't know anyone there who can give me relevant advice on how to get a position with them.
Thanks
I know someone that served there. I will ask her and get back to you sometime soon.
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Mixty: 5:09pm On Sep 04, 2014
Cyrus25: An Electricity and Engineering company is currently recruiting into several interesting positions. This is your chance to start an exciting career and be rewarded handsomely for it.
Locations: South-Western Region, Nigeria.
Requirements: Ages 27 and below
CGPA: Minimum of a 2:2

Resume submissions should be made to this link: http://www.dis-recruit.com/

Best of Luck!

This dude has been scamming since 1862. undecided

7 Likes

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Flips: 6:01pm On Sep 04, 2014
Xfire,

Wonderful piece.
I remember when I was in school, some folks seeking to market their certification programme came around instilling fear in us that we would remain unemployable if we do not go for a certification in entrepreneurship undecided. They told us of how employers now want graduates with entrepreneurial mindset and that we remain doomed without a certificate in entrepreneurship. A lot of students fell for that paying a whooping N5,000 for a 1 week training. Imagine if a 1000 students registered. That's cool N5 million in the pocket of the phony organizers. The certificate is in the cleaners now for all that subscribed.
Same thing when I was serving. All kinds of people coming with all kinds of offer for certifications. They sell youth corpers the dummy that they can only get jobs if they register for the certifications they are offering. All corpers fall for it easily.

Most of the people shouting that certifications are necessary are doing that for their own selfish reasons. Maybe they are one of the organizers of the several insignificant certification programs.

This piece is enlightening

4 Likes

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by ndcide(m): 7:11pm On Sep 04, 2014
Mr Xfire , I understand your point but I think the point 3 is not over exaggerated as you say. honestly, I've got some jobs before my present one and believe me I had strong referrals + God factor. my present job required very competent personnel at the time I entered hence they couldn't let me go after the interview. Now take note; Only two of us in the entire organization came in that way ; The rest came in through connection. that's 99% approximately.

In my organization we have Highly competent top level staff with HIGHLY incompetent mid level staff, and a good mix for the lower level. The mid level staff are all foreigners who secured the jobs through nepotism. This structure is stretching the few competent staff to near breaking point. Trust me, this structure is not changing soon. My point is, Your fact#3 is not in any way over exaggerated in this country.

Look man, I want through a rigorous interview process at a time. and at the final stage, we were just 3 and they needed one person. it was all fireworks in the boardroom that morning. myself, a guy from Glo and one from Airtel. Guess what We all had our person among the decision makers in the boardroom. Since we were all good, and board members were trying to outsmart each other on whom to pick, the group chairman had to pick randomly. the guy from Airtel was just lucky.

My point is, even those who will agree with you on point #3 know the truth that Man-know man , is not over exaggerated as you stated. it is the reality on ground for now. In fact going through without connection seem to be the exception to the rule, While the rule is , you gat to at least have some connection.

just had to respond.
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Flips: 7:11pm On Sep 04, 2014
tuwayz: Please sir Xfire, can we atleast see your face? Thanks
It wouldn't be a bad idea. Oya, oga xfire, I don believe you without pictures wink
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Feex: 7:47pm On Sep 04, 2014
ndcide: Mr Xfire , I understand your point but I think the point 3 is not over exaggerated as you say. honestly, I've got some jobs before my present one and believe me I had strong referrals + God factor. my present job required very competent personnel at the time I entered hence they couldn't let me go after the interview. Now take note; Only two of us in the entire organization came in that way ; The rest came in through connection. that's 99% approximately.

In my organization we have Highly competent top level staff with HIGHLY incompetent mid level staff, and a good mix for the lower level. The mid level staff are all foreigners who secured the jobs through nepotism. This structure is stretching the few competent staff to near breaking point. Trust me, this structure is not changing soon. My point is, Your fact#3 is not in any way over exaggerated in this country.

Look man, I want through a rigorous interview process at a time. and at the final stage, we were just 3 and they needed one person. it was all fireworks in the boardroom that morning. myself, a guy from Glo and one from Airtel. Guess what We all had our person among the decision makers in the boardroom. Since we were all good, and board members were trying to outsmart each other on whom to pick, the group chairman had to pick randomly. the guy from Airtel was just lucky.

My point is, even those who will agree with you on point #3 know the truth that Man-know man , is not over exaggerated as you stated. it is the reality on ground for now. In fact going through without connection seem to be the exception to the rule, While the rule is , you gat to at least have some connection.

just had to respond.
I disagree with the bolded. Fresh grads hoping to work for firms like in firms like KPMG, PwC, Deliotte, banks (GTB, FBPlc, UBA ...and so on), NBPlc, Guinness, Unilever, UAC, PZ, Baker Hughes, Schlumberger, P & G, Shell, Chevron, etc. need not know anyone. There are some firms you will need referrals though like CAT, Halliburton, Julius Berger, etc. But fresh grads have got plenty chances without knowing anyone. Mind you, I work for one of the aforementioned firms without knowing even one person.
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 04, 2014
I've never for once regret following you...message understood,thanks for sharing...smiley

1 Like

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by ndcide(m): 8:38pm On Sep 04, 2014
Feex:
I disagree with the bolded. Fresh grads hoping to work for firms like in firms like KPMG, PwC, Deliotte, banks (GTB, FBPlc, UBA ...and so on), NBPlc, Guinness, Unilever, UAC, PZ, Baker Hughes, Schlumberger, P & G, Shell, Chevron, etc. need not know anyone. There are some firms you will need referrals though like CAT, Halliburton, Julius Berger, etc. But fresh grads have got plenty chances without knowing anyone. Mind you, I work for one of the aforementioned firms without knowing even one person.

my cousins are in shell. they are extremely brilliant guys. they gut in through STRONG referrals at the last minutes .

2 Likes

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Feex: 8:47pm On Sep 04, 2014
ndcide:

my cousins are in shell. they are extremely brilliant guys. they gut in through STRONG referrals at the last minutes .
I know a minimum of 4-5 people who joined Shell without knowing anyone. I went for the SRD but did not pass. But that's not enough for me to generalize

3 Likes

Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by DrFunmi(f): 9:15pm On Sep 04, 2014
@xfire, pls I sent u a pm. kindly reply
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by oluwanoni: 10:21pm On Sep 04, 2014
Its not compulsory to know someone, but most jobs people get are from referrals, family, friends and from people they know....most people don't really get jobs from app test and etc...the truth is most people don't get a job through that method as highlighted by op...the best is to pray,equip your self, meet the right people and hit the opportunity as it comes.
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 04, 2014
Hmm....Interesting read.
Space booked. Will comment later.
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 04, 2014
Most of them really works o so you can't just rule them out like having a masters degree and having a good connection.
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by flolancracker: 12:46am On Sep 05, 2014
Informative.
Re: 3 Misconceptions That Fresh Graduates Make About Getting Jobs In Nigeria by Hugo70(m): 7:22am On Sep 05, 2014
As a graduate of Industrial physics, wit work exp not related to oil n gas or construction coy. Pls watz d best certification that will give me best opportunity in construction n oil n gas. And probably d cost pls.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N-teach Start ASSESSMENT TEST Today #npowerng / 2018 Top Talent Graduate Trainee by Workforce Group / Who Knows Anything About Sydani Group.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.