Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,571 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:24 AM

Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating (14915 Views)

Best Way To Discipline A Child Without Spanking / Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria / Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by troy20(m): 10:08am On Sep 08, 2014
remsonik: I don't ve kids yet but I think I will beat my kids moderately.
My sisters 4 year old is a thorn in everybody's flesh. Always climbing and destroying things,sometimes I even feel she's possessed. She frustrates everybody and can beat everyone. Sometimes when I am in their house I do respond to her bad manners by spanking her. My sister and hubby doesn't spank and train their kids. A child that tells the dad and mum that she will slap them,she picks up the belt and beat anybody with it even her own parents. I told my sister to toughen up but the hubby will say no one should touch his kids.
Today my sister was telling me she would take her to church for childrens deliverance during the week.
With what I have seen with my sister's kid I won't give my kids chance to be spoilt. I have made my resolve to toughen up and apply the rod where necessary. They both left so many things to chance when they were so small and now its getting increasingly difficult to correct the child.
"this child needs delivarance..."am taking my child to the doctor for psycological evaluation"..."this precious you are seeing is very wicked"...That precious is only a 5yr old girl expected to act like a 36y old woman who happens to run a kindergaten and had precious as a daughter.i witnessed firsthand series of abuses assumed to be punishment on the "wicked" 5yr old girl who obviously would grow up insecure and continue the circle.you have to discipline children but when you are overwehmeld with such things as "diliverance", "wicked", "possessed" towards developing children then you arnt fit to be a parent yet.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by remsonik(f): 11:41am On Sep 08, 2014
troy20:
"this child needs delivarance..."am taking my child to the doctor for psycological evaluation"..."this precious you are seeing is very wicked"...That precious is only a 5yr old girl expected to act like a 36y old woman who happens to run a kindergaten and had precious as a daughter.i witnessed firsthand series of abuses assumed to be punishment on the "wicked" 5yr old girl who obviously would grow up insecure and continue the circle.you have to discipline children but when you are overwehmeld with such things as "diliverance", "wicked", "possessed" towards developing children then you arnt fit to be a parent yet.
Did you read my post at all. I said I made my resolve to discipline my kids and train them better seeing the way my sister raised her child and its becoming difficult to handle. If she feels her child is possessed and wants to take her for deliverance,then I can't stop her afterall its her child. The essence of my post is not to let mine degenerate to such!!!
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by tomiobj(m): 4:25pm On Sep 08, 2014
bamoza: Hello NLs
I always have the intention not to physically beat my children when they misbehave (that I would rather talk to them or give them light punishment) due to the fact that my parents were people that believe so much that beating is the best method to correct a child but they were wrong because we only changed as far as the pain of the beating lasted, Infact it made us worse because we got so used to cane that we not scared of doing something wrong, so because of that, I believed that beating does more harm than good,
and to support my new believe is when one of my uncle told me that he has never beat his children, though they(his children) left Nigeria at an early age, but even when in Nigeria he said he has never beaten them, though can't ascertain if his wife did not, but am sure when they got abroad they won't beat, because they don't beat dia.
But recently I have a niece of mine that came to stay with us and with my knowledge that beating is not the best method of correcting a child, I try as much as possible not to beat her when she did something wrong, but lately have had to beat her twice because it seems she wasn't getting better or listening to the corrections when I say them but with a few strokes she got them perfectly, and am like, me that determined to never beat a child, but can't refrain myself from beating my niece, how sure that I won't beat my child
with all this
I just keep wondering
is It possible to raise a child In Nigeria without beating the child?
yes. But without beating there is a high chance your child will become spoilt. Beating is what makes your child know that you are the boss and makes them afraid of you.(if u don't do it your child can just be lyk the whites and one day tell you to shut up or go to hell) But nigerians abuse it and over beat their child(ren) that's y it's being seen as bad.
Ps. A child is meant to cry (to know the responsibility of this/her actions)

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by tomiobj(m): 4:28pm On Sep 08, 2014
I always have the intention not to physically beat my children when they misbehave (that I would rather talk to them or give them light punishment) due to the fact that my parents were people that believe so much that beating is the best method to correct a child but they were wrong because we only changed as far as the pain of the beating lasted, Infact it made us worse because we got so used to cane that we not scared of doing something wrong, so because of that, I believed that beating does more harm than good,
and to support my new believe is when one of my uncle told me that he has never beat his children, though they(his children) left Nigeria at an early age, but even when in Nigeria he said he has never beaten them, though can't ascertain if his wife did not, but am sure when they got abroad they won't beat, because they don't beat dia.
But recently I have a niece of mine that came to stay with us and with my knowledge that beating is not the best method of correcting a child, I try as much as possible not to beat her when she did something wrong, but lately have had to beat her twice because it seems she wasn't getting better or listening to the corrections when I say them but with a few strokes she got them perfectly, and am like, me that determined to never beat a child, but can't refrain myself from beating my niece, how sure that I won't beat my child
with all this
I just keep wondering
sorry for double quoting. you could smack the child den when he/she is crying you will tell them not to do it again or it will be worse and offer dem one of dose 5n stick sweets

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 08, 2014
chaircover:
. . but as a parent be sure to understand the type of child that you have before deceiding the best way to discipline.
nice one. Someone like me never liked cane. Just speak to me and I will listen. Unfortunately, not many kids are like me.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by pheesayor(m): 4:44pm On Sep 08, 2014
Children are very daring and the ones we have these days are worse than we were as kids. Caning them is way to correct them when they wrong but when you don't cane they assume they are right and continue and by the time you as the parent realise, it might be too late.

I once worked in a school and when cane was stopped the whole pupils became lawless as one lawless kid would influence another and it goes viral. Cane them when they go wrong as a way of correction but don't cane when you're angry so you don't inflict injuries they won't forgive you for.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by troy20(m): 5:09pm On Sep 08, 2014
remsonik:
Did you read my post at all. I said I made my resolve to discipline my kids and train them better seeing the way my sister raised her child and its becoming difficult to handle. If she feels her child is possessed and wants to take her for deliverance,then I can't stop her afterall its her child. The essence of my post is not to let mine degenerate to such!!!
i wasnt pointing fingers sweetie
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by soulglo: 6:41pm On Sep 08, 2014
remsonik: I don't ve kids yet but I think I will beat my kids moderately.
My sisters 4 year old is a thorn in everybody's flesh. Always climbing and destroying things,sometimes I even feel she's possessed. She frustrates everybody and can beat everyone. Sometimes when I am in their house I do respond to her bad manners by spanking her. My sister and hubby doesn't spank and train their kids. A child that tells the dad and mum that she will slap them,she picks up the belt and beat anybody with it even her own parents. I told my sister to toughen up but the hubby will say no one should touch his kids.
Today my sister was telling me she would take her to church for childrens deliverance during the week.
With what I have seen with my sister's kid I won't give my kids chance to be spoilt. I have made my resolve to toughen up and apply the rod where necessary. They both left so many things to chance when they were so small and now its getting increasingly difficult to correct the child.

Tell your sister that soul_glo says she is demon possessed. Not just a regular demon either but a mean and nasty demon. She has been hitting that child and using a belt on him too. If the child's father does not believe in hitting that child then the only other person who would be doing it is your sister. No 4 year old that does not get beaten with a belt would pick it up and imitate the behavior. There's something wrong with your sister and you too for suggesting that the child is a problem child. Does her husband know that you people are taking his child to whatever church or shrine you're taking the child to? Lazy parents. You people do not want to do the difficult work of staying in your child and redirecting because that is tiring. You'd rather hit the child, insult the child, throw things at the child because your lazy butt will not do what really works for a child. The moment you land in Nigeria you immediately see violent expressions everywhere. It is not a one off thing either. People reach out of their cars and smack people in a car next to them. Drivers punch other cars to catch the attention of other drivers. People drive like it is war. Violence everywhere. The average Nigerian even talks violently. What has this corporal punishment done to help you behave more human. No wonder you people go to work in Nigeria and your bosses tell you to kneel down and close your eyes and your silly butts do just that. Born to suffer.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by sayoberry(f): 11:34pm On Sep 08, 2014
n
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Minet16(m): 8:54am On Sep 09, 2014
2 Samuel 7:14 I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:

wen u flog ur child with anger. e.g hittin him/her with fry pan, it means u are instilling hatred and demons in that child. check every childvthey beat dat way. dey end up waywards bcuz d gurdian taught it was by their power negleting GOD's word which said

Zechariah 4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

but correct dem with strokes of love in acfordance to GOD's word, means u re trusting GOD to change them. blive u me. they'll change for the beta. it dosnt mean u hate dem.

Proverbs 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

so prove u luv dem today by using dat rod. rmemba l, beat with love nt hatred. GOD bless u all
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by allgoodlight(m): 9:18am On Sep 09, 2014
Beating or not beating a child solely depend on the child nature and nuture some kids are naturally obedient and respectful due to the influence of nature and nuture and vice versa also the child brain anatomy is a great factor some need cane for them to behave well some need scolding while some be scolding,beating and punishment contribute little or nothing to child life as a gifted psychology for 15 years in academic sector I have never beat any of my students infact they obey me more than any teacher who often beat them 'spare the rod spoil the child is a relative statement'it all depend on the child nature and nuture:Today almost all my students are performing better academically and moraly even the grossly disobedient one's am so glad.So the child brain anatomy is a special factor as related to nature and nuture.Our mentality here in Nigeria also affect the mind of the child many parent only earn their respect through beating to me is an artificial respect not natural why is it that in the west beating was consider moraly wrong because they once used it in centuries past but contribute nothing or little to child development today without beating their children is well behave their believe and mentality influence it alot we too our mentality also affect us as if without beating a child may not be responsible to be candid I have not be beating by my mother since childhood but my father is a token one not beating but warning here I am am not a spoil child.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by SenatorJames(m): 7:48am On Sep 11, 2014
with all this
I just keep wondering
It is possible, pray that Lord give you a good child, but after correcting him/her verbally and still proving adamant, it's not bad to add little cain. above all be prayerful that God give you glorious children that will have the fear of God.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by charlesikhalea(m): 8:54am On Dec 13, 2014
I intend to not beat my kids when i start having them, i wasn't beaten while growing up, though i didn't turn out perfect but i think its not so cool. when u beat a child u force that child to follow ur ways, the child can't have free will because the beating takes that away, n i believe thats y u see young kids overseas making a living by the time they re 15yrs, they were encouraged n not beaten, parents beat their kids cos they want them to behave as they wish them to, n that alone is a limitation to what that child can do when he grows. find better ways to punish a child.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by iliyande(m): 12:15pm On Dec 13, 2014
charlesikhalea:
I intend to not beat my kids when i start having them, i wasn't beaten while growing up, though i didn't turn out perfect but i think its not so cool. when u beat a child u force that child to follow ur ways, the child can't have free will because the beating takes that away, n i believe thats y u see young kids overseas making a living by the time they re 15yrs, they were encouraged n not beaten, parents beat their kids cos they want them to behave as they wish them to, n that alone is a limitation to what that child can do when he grows. find better ways to punish a child.

That's not perfect my brother. To compare African child and white man child morally I think it's not wise. They are of different cultures and of different culture. They are proud of their culture in which in Africa is an abomination eg g.ay. I will beat my children not that I hate them but for corrections. I always thank my Mumy anytime because she played an important part in who I am today. Allow yours, I will train mine.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by charlesikhalea(m): 12:27pm On Dec 13, 2014
iliyande:

That's not perfect my brother. To compare African child and white man child morally I think it's not wise. They are of different cultures and of different culture. They are proud of their culture in which in Africa is an abomination eg g.ay. I will beat my children not that I hate them but for corrections. I always thank my Mumy anytime because she played an important part in who I am today. Allow yours, I will train mine.

lolz funny, i never said i won't train mine i said i won't beat my child. i would punish but not beat, so read well before responding. n who told u beating kids is our culture?
the bible that mentioned beating a child was giving to us by white people remember?
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by iliyande(m): 1:29pm On Dec 13, 2014
charlesikhalea:

lolz funny, i never said i won't train mine i said i won't beat my child. i would punish but not beat, so read well before responding. n who told u beating kids is our culture?
the bible that mentioned beating a child was giving to us by white people remember?

Wait until you get one. That's the conclusion of it all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Often Should A Wife Call Her Mother? / Deep Freezer Decision.. Please Help. / What Will Make You Disown Your Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.