Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating (14937 Views)

Best Way To Discipline A Child Without Spanking / Best City To Raise A Family In Nigeria / Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by timilehing(m): 5:34am On Sep 07, 2014
Here in Nigeria, its absolutely impossible.

In my own view, its also practically impossible
cos children are meant to rebel while growing up.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by pussypounder(m): 5:37am On Sep 07, 2014
my dad wants me to stop posting on nairaland else hes gonna smash my head into the keyboaevfrhebpifvrinehvfrqkmwqkdmjwediefcrji

13 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by AbdulSleek(m): 5:40am On Sep 07, 2014
Think carefully,

Beating a child in Western countries is a crime. Yet, they manage to raise children there.

So, it can be done. I think that if one removes beating, it has to be replaced with strong punishment

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by timilehing(m): 5:40am On Sep 07, 2014
Here in Nigeria, its absolutely impossible.

In my own view, its also practically impossible cos children are meant to rebel while griding up.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by GoldStandard: 5:46am On Sep 07, 2014
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by jeffizy(m): 5:49am On Sep 07, 2014
aolatunde00: I told myself same thing and it's becoming increasingly more difficult to abide by with my 21month old son.
He runs the water dispenser almost everyday completely running it out on the kitchen floor at least once
He goes to his clothes drawer to empty the neatly ironed and folded clothes.
He empties his laundry basket too;at least twice a day
This is minus going to turn off/on wall sockets as soon as no one is around.
He's also pulled a standing wall mirror on himself crashing it in the process and slightly bruising himself.
I have introduced spanking on the bum to caution him
Have I also mentioned he's a pro in climbing any and all things?chairs,dinning tables,centre table,climbs into his own high chair amongst many others?
He needs to be cautioned before he endNgers himself unknowinhlu
cheesy I'm sorry to tell you that its just the beginning.
There is a phase in a child's life known as "terrible twos".
“Most toddlers begin testing limits** shortly after their first birthday and continue until about age four,” says Ari Brown, M.D., author of TODDLER 411

They want to explore, they are more aware of their environment, attracted by colors and sounds, etc.

Mine wants to buy all the soccer balls across the country and now I don't take him anywhere there's a soccer ball.
And yes, he decides his clothes are too neat in a pile and decides to scatter them all over the room too. cheesy.

He now has a degree in wanting to know why my own "tutwee" is bigger than his own. lmao!
Can't have a shower with him anymore.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 5:50am On Sep 07, 2014
Yes na...my parents have never laid their hands on us and we very responsible and all...
If I open this my big eyes, better fear go catch ma pikin, I no need stress ma sef to beat am. I actually have other measures I use, a child is child, we know how to handle them without beating.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Atmmachine(m): 5:50am On Sep 07, 2014
I see many Nairalanders getting 5 years jail term if they were in America

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Atmmachine(m): 5:55am On Sep 07, 2014
If you don't feed you cat or dog in America you will be sent to jail.
If you beat your kid you will be sent to jail & your child will be taken from you forever..

In Nigeria parents beat their children with koboko & chains.
That is child abuse

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Justice629(m): 6:01am On Sep 07, 2014
I believe the use of various techniques such as stern look, precise deep voiced statement, grounding(naughty corner) spanking, word of advice, encouragement and pointing out the consequences or various acts and its effect on the parents or who ever cleans up after.
We as parents needs to know that our actions and reactions not related to the kids also has effects on them.
The best way to raise a child is first to be an example by your actions and reactions to the world around you and a child will naturally follow in that step because they mostly look up to their parents as leaders.
If you like use your child as punching bag practice just to stop am from insulting people when you yourself the curse people anyhow for him face make we see how that go make am stop to dey curse people too!

My 10kobo I don leave for OP sooo!

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Kirinwa: 6:02am On Sep 07, 2014
yemisolar: training a child without beating WHEN NECESSARY i like thinking you can drive a car so carefully without wearing out the brake pad. i don't know where we got this idea of only talking to the child from.

the balance i believe is that you should not beat irrationally especially at the moment of anger. also let the child know why he is being beaten.

lastly, i know that there are a lot of contrary opinions, but the question we should ask is :in societies where the do not their their children, are they turning out to be more responsible adults that we are?

Those are places where a child will dial 911 just because he was beaten or possibly pull out a revolver at you.
Bible said spare the rod and spoil the child.

Children have little demons which bulala can chase away.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by doctorofgirls(m): 6:03am On Sep 07, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Yes na...my parents have never laid their hands on us and we very responsible and all...
If I open this my big eyes, better fear go catch ma pikin, I no need stress ma sef to beat am. I actually have other measures I use, a child is child, we know how to handle them without beating.
what's up
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by jeffizy(m): 6:08am On Sep 07, 2014
Horayce: In the west, kids are generally not beaten,yet they grow up to be responsible and well behaved citizens for the most part; can't say the same for Nigeria with our holier than thou attitudes on raising kids. My siblings and I were not flogged and we turned out ok, it's entirely possible dude.
But the Western citizens have other indices that mould the child.
From good laws to development facilities outside the home, controlled media , to mention a few.
But here , your kids learn vulgarity from the TV ,peers and the neighbours . Sadly, the schools are not an exception too.
All these little indiscretions may mould a kid into the wrong personality sometimes.
That is why the Nigerian parent needs all at his/her disposal to straighten a bending kid.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Kirinwa: 6:11am On Sep 07, 2014
Atmmachine: I see many Nairalanders getting 5 years jail term if they were in America

Bleep America. They are not a standard. Check out almost every precinct there has a gansta unit with guns ready to blaze at slight provocation.

Even their president is a gay sympathiser possibly one too albeit having a wife. A country that threatens to sanction other countries because they are against men opening yansh for fellow men to ram home. Abeg!

5 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by AbdulSleek(m): 6:15am On Sep 07, 2014
Kirinwa:

Bleep America. They are not a standard. Check out almost every precinct there has a gansta unit with guns ready to blaze at slight provocation.

Even their president is a gay sympathiser possibly one too albeit having a wife. A country that threatens to sanction other countries because they are against men opening yansh for fellow men to ram home. Abeg!

In you mind, you think you have been raised well to hate on gay people.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by AdeniyiA(m): 6:19am On Sep 07, 2014
Those days I'd prefer been spanked by my mum than being 'beaten' with the word of mouth....chaiiii e dey pain me no be small
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 6:19am On Sep 07, 2014
You possibly can't instill long time fear and discipline into a child when the cain is around,cane does it short time but with advice,real talk and threat with a straight look,you would achieve the aim in the long run because you can't continue beating them till they hit puberty which is a vita phrase in their life,when they go wrong,seize whatever that's is making them wild out and if its attitude related,lock them up or confine them to a place.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Atmmachine(m): 6:26am On Sep 07, 2014
Kirinwa:

But your Nigerian brothers are begging for American visa at the embassy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by sindyko(m): 6:34am On Sep 07, 2014
Actually beating does no good for the body it either makes a child conform to an instruction or makes the child wild. Psychologically, beating is not a punitive measure for punishment, and there is also sometime u av to beat for him to knw what he has done is bad. Mind u in other part of world beating is a taboo for upbringing but here in africa beating has become tradition and yardstick for punishment. Some other measure to constrain children eye-contact, punishment, beating.
It is nt good to be beating your children for evrytin they do, you are made the father to corret mistakes with a pacific measure

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by olumaxi(m): 6:43am On Sep 07, 2014
Beat ur children now...or they wil beat u when they grow
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by jibbish(m): 6:43am On Sep 07, 2014
Horayce: In the west, kids are generally not beaten,yet they grow up to be responsible and well behaved citizens for the most part; can't say the same for Nigeria with our holier than thou attitudes on raising kids. My siblings and I were not flogged and we turned out ok, it's entirely possible dude.
shey after dem don visit prison abi?
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Truckpusher(m): 6:51am On Sep 07, 2014
AbdulSleek: Think carefully,

Beating a child in Western countries is a crime. Yet, they manage to raise children there.

So, it can be done. I think that if one removes beating, it has to be replaced with strong punishment
It's a crime in the West because the govt became afraid of too many abused children cases coming up ,but again when you raise a monster with the 'no beating policy' being the main culprit that ensured that the child didn't get the manual reset he or she so much deserved , the same govt wouldn't hesitate in throwing them into jail altering their lives forever.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 6:54am On Sep 07, 2014
doctorofgirls: what's up
Me good and you?
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by TRADELYN: 6:59am On Sep 07, 2014
Kachisbarbie: Yes na...my parents have never laid their hands on us and we very responsible and all...
I urge you to start a thread on parenting...OK?
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by doctorofgirls(m): 7:05am On Sep 07, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
Me good and you?
how was your night
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by AbdulSleek(m): 7:16am On Sep 07, 2014
Truckpusher: It's a crime in the West because the govt became afraid of too many abused children cases coming up ,but again when you raise a monster with the 'no beating policy' being the main culprit that ensured that the child didn't get the manual reset he or she so much deserved , the same govt wouldn't hesitate in throwing them into jail altering their lives forever.

undecided
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by LilPeezy(m): 7:18am On Sep 07, 2014
Why not if not
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by ITbomb(m): 7:25am On Sep 07, 2014
People who are against beatings are mostly the ones who got more than enough and maybe from anger rather than correction.

Extreme spanking is counter productive. A child's mind is an open book to be written upon. Reasoning is limited till later.

Beating should be without anger but love and understanding for the beating. Reward also should follow up for good behaviour.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Gudintent: 7:28am On Sep 07, 2014
toofine765: I try my best not to spank them but there are times when you are left with no choice. I also use the naughty corner which they detest a lot because my own naughy corner is our visitor's toilet. Just the mention of it gets them to behave but all in all I keep praying for wisdom from God to be able to teach them in the best way possible as I have four kids aged 0 to 7

Chaaaaiiiii cheesy

Naughty corner = visitors toilet

Diaris Goddduoooooo grin

@topic for all the spankers in d house, that is also known as 'beating'. tongue

E seun wink
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by dat9jaguy(m): 7:28am On Sep 07, 2014
Daresh:

I have 2 kids, my son is almost 6 and my daughter is 3 and I dont beat them.

My children are not drums. I usually talk them thru it.

Occasionally I spank their bums but then they have committed grave sin.

I think naughty corner or locking them in the room serves as a better punishment than beating.

I'm not a violent person by the way, I don't like fighting and I can't kuku fight sef tongue

And spanking their bums is petting abi?Too much of everything is bad.Discipline with the left hand and pet with the right hand.
Re: Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating by Nobody: 7:31am On Sep 07, 2014
Well, spank with one hand, pull back with the other.

And be very careful whilst spanking!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bride Price; What Purpose? Who Benefits? / What Will Make You Disown Your Child? / derailed topic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.