Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts (16840 Views)

DMO Releases States External Debts As At Dec 31st 2015 / Pomo’ Consumption Hurting Nigeria’s $3bn Hides/skin Industry / Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Nobody: 2:44pm On Sep 05, 2014
Tonylyte:
Read your previous posts to me and tell me who is the kid here. Am i not dumb anymore, as u said in your previous post?
what is dis one saying
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by ba7man(m): 3:35pm On Sep 05, 2014
When one single individual in the Government can steal $1 Billion, they're complaining that Lagos State is owing the same amount.

If the FG wasn't taking the largest share of allocations, no state has to borrow the way they do.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 05, 2014
Pls for God's sake who will pay all this unpaid debt after Fashola leaves.....

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by fairheven: 4:54pm On Sep 05, 2014
I don't see any harm in in,the most developed countries are most indebted,Lagos state has the resources to pay it debt within a year ,the main issue is wt the debt is been used for. cool
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by fairheven: 5:09pm On Sep 05, 2014
mapet: @Musicwriter,

I respect your opinion but totally disagree. You don't blame your inability or lack on the next person. Just like a case of 2 folks that started out at the same time, one went to school and the other did not. The former went on to own a supermarket and the latter came in and started complaining that his goods are way too expensive and that he's taking advantage on him because he has no where else to go.

My simple analogy above, may not be as simple in the reality but the sense of it subsist. First off, we need not drool on our current state but move progressively toward development. God willing with proper management, we also should strive to get into the realm of the BRICS, where our economy will be robust and we can also be part of syndicate that give out loans

I also think the world bank and IMF have been much more agent of good. If you look at the areas where these loans are targeted in Lagos state from the report for starters, Education, Water, Roads and Infrastructure etc, then it should tell us it is to the benefit of common man. But why are we bothered about World bank and IMF while right under our noses, the monies that can assist in all these areas are taking flight left, right and center... right under our nose the FG are yet to account for $20billion, which as Fashola stated, could have been used to increase our power generating capacity to over 10GW.

IMF AN WORLDBANK agents of good,serously?Those two institutions have never done any country any good.
Nigeria joining the BRICS,Technically Nigeria is already there;South Africa is part of BRICS,an by GDP Nigeria has overtaking South.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Guk: 6:39pm On Sep 05, 2014
Pages 43 & 44 should provide info about how Lagos State is dealing with the debts http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/mepb/LAGOS_Y2014_Q2_Budget%20Appraisal.pdf
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by oluwasegun007(m): 7:42pm On Sep 05, 2014
That's expected of the power core of the nationm.....if na ondo state I for scream
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by kernel504(m): 7:59pm On Sep 05, 2014
olushowunm: . And you just displayed the highest height of ignorance, because you never made any point but a personal attack. So come up with your opinion and let's weigh it in public court of opinions and let's see who have a superior argument.

Sometimes when a person displays a certain level of ignorance, people around will ask, "which school graduated you", anyway is a compliment in this case.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by kernel504(m): 8:06pm On Sep 05, 2014
msmon:

Oh! See Economist, you call this healthy loan when the cost of servicing the loan is almost as much as the loan itself when it's cumulative. Abeg Park well!

He doesn't know the fundamentals of Economics, simply.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by kernel504(m): 8:07pm On Sep 05, 2014
msmon:

Oh! See Economist, you call this healthy loan when the cost of servicing the loan is almost as much as the loan itself when it's cumulative. Abeg Park well!
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by fx45(m): 9:37pm On Sep 05, 2014
raumdeuter:

Can you read and write? Now relate the post you quoted to the morronic response you gave just now
I think U're the m0ron here... Infact U're not just a certified m0ron, U're also a wankster! What's the relationship between the tripe U posted and the topic? Don't U think the old monotonous refrain about 'staying in Ur region' has become stale and boring? The stewpid rant about Iyaloja this, Babaloja that, has also become trite to every discerning mind. What's the corelation between that nonsense and the topic under discussion?

I think U're the one that needs to take extra classes on reading and comprehension. Those who are more discerning understood what I meant by pointing out to U that Ur news is stale. I know U still won't get it. Certain things are not bought in the market. My guess is U're still below 20 years of age. Have a nice day my young friend

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by aljharem(m): 10:16pm On Sep 05, 2014
texaco1: how can a sensible person reason like this for goodness sake? This is totally disgusting and annoying. Nigeria is in deep shit if some people still think like this

God bless you. Only du.mb people praise debtors.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Octaves(m): 11:08pm On Sep 05, 2014
Abagworo:

Please check the records and notice that Anambra under Peter Obi increased their debts. Only Abia State paid off some of its debts.

I don't usually see anything wrong with borrowing once judiciously used but $1,000,000,000 is not a small amount. I think we should be careful how we praise Fashola because even a mad man with money can give impression of performance.
i don't know what your source is but you are wrong. No external debt under Peter Obi. Peter Obi is the most judicious manager of finances.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by mistudreh(m): 12:12am On Sep 06, 2014
pelvicky: Wats wrong with this APC STATES, same here in osun state under rauf aregbesola administration....Borrowing money and money as if their is no tomorrow....debtors party.
Did you read the post at all? Where is Osun in that post?
The largest share of the debt of this country is own by the FG (PDP). U can imagine the increasing rate at which GEJ borrowed money as at june 2013 and now... What has GEJ done with the money he keeps borrowing here in Osun state, only to spend on election, militarize our citizens. Yet, you still find it hard to embrace this Ogbeni that is doing all he can to make this state a great one for us all.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Nobody: 1:22am On Sep 06, 2014
raumdeuter: Since Lagos houses 1/3 of Nigerias fresh graduates

Lagos infrastructure would continue to be stretched when some people cant stay in their region

thus the need to borrow.

Fashola needs to deploy more babaloja out to increase market levies in Alaba, Computer village, Trade fair, Ladipo and Aswani etc

You cant be living in Lagos and enjoying its benefit for free

And you think the traders will lose?
Hahahahaha
Think again
You the consumers will see prices increase overnight after an umunna meeting ;Dand the trader smiles to zenith bank and adds one more story to his house in nnewi and starts another in Lagos
Nobody went there to count bridge

When the price of fuel goes up ,what happens to the commuter's pocket book?
If fashola or the market touts collect more from traders,the traders will collect it back from you
Chikena

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by daninphilo(m): 5:35am On Sep 06, 2014
Pls when u want to post something do. Ur seach lagos debt is$600m not$ 1b nd every state has a credit ceiling base allocation from federation nd internal generated revenue only debt is problem wen not use for true economy development
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by mapet: 9:04am On Sep 06, 2014
1. Ok. so that we do not argue on fallacy but rather on facts. I also want to be educated. Please do itemize all "no good" these two institution have never done any country. List all the alleged bad or damages they have done to countries.

2. Nigeria is nowhere near the BRICS, neither anywhere near joining, just an aspiration. To the best of my knowledge, it is even the Lagos State Government that had recently started that aspiration for BRINCS with the previous economic summit. There are formal procedures for joining or being part of BRICS and South Africa only made it in 2010. The recently rebased GDP, which I believe have not yielded consequent economic indicators to classify us either as a developing or industrialized economy, itself is not a justification. South Africa went through rigorous scrutiny to make it to the BRICS, mere rebasing your GDP is useless to the effort. The last I check all members of BRICS are members of G20, is Nigeria a member?

fairheven:
IMF AN WORLDBANK agents of good,serously?Those two institutions have never done any country any good.
Nigeria joining the BRICS,Technically Nigeria is already there;South Africa is part of BRICS,an by GDP Nigeria has overtaking South.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by mapet: 9:16am On Sep 06, 2014
My Brother,

First off the Journalist that reported this gave a one sided view. Has anybody bothered to draw a nexus between the increasing debt and the consequent increase in capital projects? Has anybody bother to review the increasing debt with the increasing revenue? I thought Lagos GDP prior to rebasing was even discovered to above the GDP of about 4 West African countries combined.

I am not bothered about the debt profile, because Lagos State is in an aggressive growth phase.

chemali: Nigeria's debt increased by 35% in one year and it's not raising eyebrows? Are we not still selling oil? What project was done in one year?
With regards to Lagos state, it will do you good to reflect on how the state's revenue profile has increased vis a vis it's debt profile.
You cannot apply the same logic to the Federal government that keeps reducing capital expenditure and increasing recurrent expenditure.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by mapet: 9:20am On Sep 06, 2014
and if I am making assumption that the underlined is not a figment of your imagination, please can you educate us further with the details of the debt? What is the tenor of these debt? what is the interest rates? what's the signed pay back arrangement? etc

Do you guys think these were not subjected to scrutiny by risk analysts? Do you think mere taxes with half of the citizenry do not pay can match the rate of capital projects currently in place? to lace a rail line and roads from boarder Badagry to Marina is 10kobo?

kernel504:

I guess you don't seen to know the amount of money in question.
Lagos state cannot pay that money in full within the space of 7 years even if she stops every recurrent and capital expenditure.
We are talking of billions of dollars not Naira, please multiply $1 billion against 170 places.
Lagos could only generate N263 billion last year.
Am Pro-Fashola, but am been objective here,ok?
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by mapet: 9:26am On Sep 06, 2014
in a book? you're still hiding it from many NLer folks.

Guk: Pages 43 & 44 should provide info about how Lagos State is dealing with the debts http://www.lagosstate.gov.ng/mepb/LAGOS_Y2014_Q2_Budget%20Appraisal.pdf
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by musiwa94: 12:18pm On Sep 06, 2014
T
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by aurenflani: 3:07pm On Sep 06, 2014
APC bashing thread.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by eronmosele75(m): 3:41pm On Sep 06, 2014
There's good debt and there's bad debt.Good debt increases your asset.Bad debt increases your liabilities.This is why debt can make you richer or poorer depending on your financial IQ level.Plan to attend Job Success Academy business development tutorial classes-where young people learn how to UP their financial IQ;how to use the power of debt to get rich like Dangote etc;how to turn their money-making ideas into cash flow assets as quickly as possible and legally.Enquiries:jobsuccessacademy@gmail.com

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 4:29pm On Sep 06, 2014
mapet: and if I am making assumption that the underlined is not a figment of your imagination, please can you educate us further with the details of the debt? What is the tenor of these debt? what is the interest rates? what's the signed pay back arrangement? etc

Do you guys think these were not subjected to scrutiny by risk analysts? Do you think mere taxes with half of the citizenry do not pay can match the rate of capital projects currently in place? to lace a rail line and roads from boarder Badagry to Marina is 10kobo?

Bro, I praise your effort aimed at explaining things in a sensible manner. Yet you are ultimately wasting your own time once you are dealing with folks who think debt is automatically bad. You will never get such folks to understand the concept of using OPM ("other peoples money" ) responsibly to build success and aid socio-economic progress.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by ba7man(m): 5:26pm On Sep 06, 2014
I've been out and about Lagos state for the past 2 days and with the number of high rise buildings under construction, the on going rail, urban renewal projects and businesses being set up, I'll say the state's economy is on an upward swing.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by ba7man(m): 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2014
Gbawe:

Bro, I praise your effort aimed at explaining things in a sensible manner. Yet you are ultimately wasting your own time once you are dealing with folks who think debt is automatically bad. You will never get such folks to understand the concept of using OPM ("other peoples money"wink responsibly to build success and aid socio-economic progress.
That's how I dentify some people as either small minded, have low levels of exposure or are just villagers or town dwellers with no idea that most big businesses run on debt.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by tunde1200(m): 7:15pm On Sep 06, 2014
Really?.....
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by manck2: 7:24pm On Sep 06, 2014
eronmosele75, first of all, lagos have the power to pay its debt . clearly it is lack of know how, that why lagos have not paid it.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by arresa: 7:24pm On Sep 06, 2014
DMO DG Nwankwo recently said no state in the country at present has debt that is unsustainable and in the case of Lagos, he says evidence abounds as to what it is using the money for.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-goes-for-more-loan/162727/

That's your oga from Debt Management Office (DMO). Unfortunately he can not say the same about your indebted states with nothing to show for their gbese..

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Gbawe: 9:12pm On Sep 06, 2014
arresa:

That's your oga from Debt Management Office (DMO). Unfortunately he can not say the same about your indebted states with nothing to show for their gbese..

You think these guys have the capacity to listen to the authoritative and informed opinion of an involved technocrat? No. They only know how to hate others ignorantly and illogically. They will certainly not accept expert contribution stating that Lagos can service her debts and that the fund obtained are being used judiciously.
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by OAUTemitayo: 10:26pm On Sep 06, 2014
kernel504:

I guess you don't seen to know the amount of money in question.
Lagos state cannot pay that money in full within the space of 7 years even if she stops every recurrent and capital expenditure.
We are talking of billions of dollars not Naira, please multiply $1 billion against 170 places.
Lagos could only generate N263 billion last year.
Am Pro-Fashola, but am been objective here,ok?
Using your logic, why would Lagos not be able to pay off its debt in a year if it stopped all recurrent and capital expenditures?
remembered you said Lagos owes $1billion and it generates $ billion?
Waiting for your answer
Re: Lagos Owes $1bn Of States’ $3bn External Debts by Saladin1: 11:15pm On Sep 06, 2014
And them say Aregbesola is owing, I couldn't find the State of Osun on the list. Bad belle people keeps telling us Osun is wallowing in debt guess they've got no other explanation for the rapid development in our dear state. OSUN TI N DARA OOO grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hadiza Bala Usman Hosts Bobai, Flag Officer, Naval Command / Obaseki: Rigging Edo Election May Trigger Tragic Reactions Nationwide / Gunmen Burn Arondizuogu Police Station In Imo, Kill Police Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.