Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,092 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Are We Seriously Begging Jonathan To Run? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are We Seriously Begging Jonathan To Run? (443 Views)

Ayade Begging To Join APC — Chieftain / Fayose Blasts Obasanjo For Always Begging For Political Favours / Patience Jonathan To Return To Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are We Seriously Begging Jonathan To Run? by Sunsamthy(m): 5:34pm On Sep 05, 2014
To be clear from the start, I have nothing against President Goodluck Jonathan or the tendency that he would take another shot at office in 2015. For me, it is within his right as a Nigerian to so aspire, at least for as long as no competent court of the land says otherwise.

I also think that current political dynamics in the country indicate that Jonathan is the candidate to beat when Nigerians file out for elections in February 2015, if he chooses to run. Now, concerning this last point, it seems so obvious that even a blockhead would realise that Jonathan desires another term. I believe the President and his men have given us enough signals, what politicians call “body language”, to assure us about his plans for 2015.

This is why I am unable to understand the endless parades and visitations calling on the President to run, endorsing him for a second term or collecting millions of signatures which compel a man who is in an apparent romance with the office that he has held for about four years to run again.

The current wave of activities in support of Jonathan’s vying for office in 2015 is at such a dizzying speed that one would have to pause every now and then to understand it. The confusion on the issue is on a number of fronts, some of which I will presently attempt to discuss in no particularly organised order.

Earlier this week, the Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters, Prof. Rufai Ahmed Alkali, was quoted as saying that about 8,000 groups were currently rooting for the President to contest in 2015. Alkali went ahead to say: “Indeed, initially we printed 5,000 forms that were distributed to the NGOs and other support groups but the forms soon ran out and we had to print an additional 2,000. As I am speaking to you now, we have at least another one 1,000 groups demanding to be screened… we shall undertake content analysis of the reports with a view to properly positioning the various support groups for the challenges of the 2015 general elections…We want to assure every support group irrespective of its size, from two-man group to 20-million-man group that they are all important to us and we shall carry them along.”
Leaders of TAN would then approach the President after numerous condescending speeches would have been made by stalwarts of the ruling party. He would embark on an emotional genuflection, beg the President to accede to the request of these 10 million Nigerians who had vowed that their lives and that of their generations depend on another four years of Jonathan’s Presidency. And then the President would react in the opulence of his office, thank the “10 million Nigerians” for appreciating his transformation agenda and then insult our collective intelligence further with a promise to look at this request on its merit and get back to Nigerians at the right time. The hypocrites will applaud and everyone will go back home feeling accomplished.

But the ridicule of the situation is that the joke would be on those who think they are playing games with Nigerians. The pretence that the message from TAN and others does not have the stamp of the Presidency is as laughable as the suggestion that Jonathan needs some serious convincing to be part of the 2015 elections.

And it is an idea that supporters of the President should not have allowed to thrive. I think it goes to the root of the sincerity of the administration. And more than that, it raises questions about whether Nigerians desire a President whose choice to run is dependent on some sycophantic manipulation at this time of her history.
Re: Are We Seriously Begging Jonathan To Run? by jking001(m): 6:11pm On Sep 05, 2014
Freedom of information plus speech, love freedom it's not easy to come by, some people think freedom is given free like the air we breath but I tell them no, freedom is fought for people fight for our freedom daily.
Re: Are We Seriously Begging Jonathan To Run? by popobaba(m): 6:14pm On Sep 05, 2014
Nigeria politics drama.....

Following...

(1) (Reply)

2015: All Electoral Materials To Be Printed In Nigeria(nspmc) / Uwajumogu Donates 1,500 Chickens To Avutu Poultry / Nuhu Ribadu And Pdp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.