Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,451 members, 7,816,048 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:57 AM

Shacki Kamara:-the Poor Liberian Teenager.(a MUST READ) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shacki Kamara:-the Poor Liberian Teenager.(a MUST READ) (860 Views)

Group Offers Stowaway Teenager A Scholarship / Liberian Civil War (pictures Of The Peace Keepers) / Horrifying Pictures Of The Liberian Civil War. (caution) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shacki Kamara:-the Poor Liberian Teenager.(a MUST READ) by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 07, 2014
Sixteen year old Shacki Kamara was an accidental victim of ebola. He didn't die of the virus,but if the virus hadn't struck liberia he might still be alive.
Shacki lived in westpoint, a shantytown on a peninsula jutting out from the capital city of monrovia. An Ebola holding center there was attacked by armed men on august 6th and patients fled; On august 20th,the government imposed a lockdown.
Residents protested the next day,and clashed with security forces. During the unrest, Shacki was shot-apprently a single bullet wounded both legs. He lay in the street bleeding for atleast 20minutes before help finally came and he was taken to monrovia's main medical teaching hospital facility,JFK Hospital but its emergency ward had lost two doctors to Ebola and wasn't able to care for him. So he was shuttled to redemption Hospital,where he died on august 22nd from loss of blood and body fluids.
Eva Nah raised shacki from the age of 2. That's when he lost his parents. Eva nah his aunt who's 63,still asks: "why".
Nah had sent her nephew(shacki) to buy tea for her breakfast on the morning of the protest. She says it was quiet when he went out on the errand.
As she puts it, "He got caught up in the mix".
"They shot him;she says. The soldiers bullet went through both legs and came out of the front. "It burst the entire leg". Nah says
Neighbourhood children told her what happened "They shot shacki.they shot shacki". Her oldest son confirmed the news.
He had tried to run up to shacki telling the soldiers, "It's my brother,i want to get my brother". The soldiers,he said,told him they would shoot him also if he came any closer.
Nah,who also raised shacki's older sister fanta,25 and 22year old brother samuel,says the teenager helped her sell ice water to the west point residents. "He goes all over the community to fetch me the water that i will be able to sell. Now shacki is dead".
Asked about the circumtances of his death, Dr.bernice dahn, deputy health minister and chief medical officer for liberia,says the teenager arrived at the redemption hospital "in extreme shock. They tried to revive the shock,but he did not recover".
Liberian president ellen johnson went to west point during the quarantine and personally apologized to shacki's aunt. "She's the head,for everyone of us". Nah says, "so if she comes to say sorry to me,i accept and i say, 'ok'."
Nah says the president added that "she will get back to me" and has that happened? "i'm still waiting for her".
Asked to look back on the tragedy of last month, Nah dissolves into tears. "i feel bad,i say i'm hurt. Every morning i can feel it in my body.
Her neighbours try to comfort her. They tell her she must move on with her life.
But shacki meant everything to Eva Nah. And now he is gone.
"Only God can comfort me" she says. "Only God can take me through"
As a teenager i'm really really touched after reading this story........my thought- "The life of a fellow teenager has been wasted/cut short by trigger happy soldiers,he did nothing.the only crime he committed was 'poverty',he is not the president's son or minister's son.........But he's human, why? Why??Why
Please dedicate just a minute of your life to this boy and silently say REST IN PEACE SHACKI KAMARA!!!
Re: Shacki Kamara:-the Poor Liberian Teenager.(a MUST READ) by mstik(f): 7:02pm On Sep 07, 2014
rip
Re: Shacki Kamara:-the Poor Liberian Teenager.(a MUST READ) by echobee(f): 7:08pm On Sep 07, 2014
So touching! Rest in peace

1 Like

Re: Shacki Kamara:-the Poor Liberian Teenager.(a MUST READ) by christejames(m): 7:13pm On Sep 07, 2014
RIP, so touching. Ebola! You have caused so much havoc and pains in this beautiful continent, are you an agent of bioterrorism? ...the creature would never forget his beautiful continent (Africa), all your threat (ebola) would soon be curtailed. Amen.

1 Like

Re: Shacki Kamara:-the Poor Liberian Teenager.(a MUST READ) by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 07, 2014
I saw the images on cctv News. A getty image photographer covered the story. It was a terrible and bitter story.

Africa is indeed under a curse. RIP lil Boy!

1 Like

Re: Shacki Kamara:-the Poor Liberian Teenager.(a MUST READ) by overhypedsteve(m): 8:31pm On Sep 07, 2014
Abola

(1) (Reply)

ISIS Bans Math, Social Studies For Children / Psalm 121:7-8 WARNING: Horrific Video Show Man Being Crushed To Death By Lift. / European Union Is Looking For How To Penetrate And Destroy Nigeria's Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.