Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,837 members, 7,956,162 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:13 AM

Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? (26071 Views)

Innoson Launches Cars For Low And Middle Class Nigerians / Nigerian Army Visits Innoson Manufacturing Plant At Nnewi Anambra (Pics) / Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by ba7man(m): 3:02am On Sep 09, 2014
ROSSIKE:
alfaseltzer is talking arrant rubbish.

INNOSON manufactures vehicles in Nigeria. Yes or No? YES. In the motor industry, 'assembly' is the exact same thing as 'manufacturing'. There is NO differentiation. Car manufacturing plants across the world are known as ''car assembly plants''. The number of vehicles INNOSON produces per annum will be included in Nigeria's annual vehicle manufacturing output. INNOSON's capacity is 10,000 vehicles per annum as at today. Nigeria is hoping to churn out a minimum 250,000 vehicles per annum by 2020, and companies like INNOSON Motors Nig Ltd. are worthy, bonafide pioneers of that lofty objective.
Alfaseltzer just revealed a Chinese clone which showed that Innoson vehicles aren't their design.

250000 cars in 6yrs time?

That's truly a lofty target.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:30am On Sep 09, 2014
DStarrx:
However, it goes without saying that the biggest determent Nigerians have in patronizing made-in-Nigeria-and-by-Nigerians products is their peculiar shoddiness. This inapt reputation has often led to the agelong preference of foreign products over locally made ones. If IVM is to win the trust of Nigerians and stand the test of time, it must prove that it is different from what we are already used to. This it must do by convincing us of the safety, durability and performance of their products.
In addition to that, I share in the concern of many about IVM’s marketing strategies or an apparent lack of it, especially online. I recently googled in futility for keywords like “Innoson vehicle showrooms” and “Innoson car brands.” The resulting information was scanty and brushed over. There is also little or no a television advert promotion, billboard push or newspaper placement. I remember seeing tons of front page newspaper adverts by popular brands like KIA, Ford and Hyundai announcing their entries into the Nigerian market many years back, now they are household names. You can’t count five cars on our highways today without encountering one of them.
In today’s highly competitive and innovative business world, marketing is king. These are the signals customers and potential investors are on the lookout for. We are in the internet age where no online presence means no credibility. Mr. Chukwuma and the entire management should start thinking global and take advantage of the possibilities that abound in the internet in wooing investors home and abroad. He needs to stop thinking of the business as a personal enterprise or what Nigerians call a “one-man business” as well. The possibility of listing the company in the Nigerian Stock Exchange and selling its shares to willing members of the public should be explored.
If the company is successfully listed in the NSE, I’m sure that a lot of Nigerians will be interested in investing in a promising marque such as IVM. With that comes more money and with more money comes greater opportunities. The company can then move into automation, decrease the near 100% reliance on manual labour and open up more factories across the country.

I believe the three points made above. (1) IVM should pay attention to quality control and be known for it
(2) IVM should grow past the sole propietorship and make the company publicly funded.
(3)IVM should greatly be interested and involved in competitive adverstising. And awareness programs.
This additional two pionts should also be important to them
(1)IVM should look forward to siezing, not only the Nigerian market, but the whole of Africa.
(2)IVM should be greatly and heavily involved in skill acquistion promotion in Nigeria or even Africa. Infact IVM should have Labs for both the scientists and technologist and also for emerging students!

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:47am On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: Attaching your badge on another man's car does not mean you made it.
It doesn't mean nothing. Honda crosstur have the shape as a model of Ford and Acura(can't remember the model name). What about the hummer buses. Can you tell the different between Toyota and it NISSAN counterpart?
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Okeikpu(m): 7:02am On Sep 09, 2014
nzeBiddle: RoFL ..clown. Even your moniker sef na helele cheesy
Boy! U no dey respect ur elders ? Ima kwa na mu na nna gi bu agemate cool
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by talima(m): 7:14am On Sep 09, 2014
tdayof:
so?
made in china doesn't make it fake!
do you think china can produce the same quality they are giving us to countries like u.s... Canada etc...
the fact is that we are getting the quality we paid for
please say we get what dealers asked for.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1: The question should be; Can China compete with Korean and Japanese cars..

Answer is Yes, but not anytime soon.

Innosons is simply an assembler of Chinese cars in Nigeria.. Sort of like what PAN is doing currently.
I doubt you, this where hard work and patronise should come in....when you believe something can be achieved then I don't see any barrier to that. And also we Nigerians should patronize and support them.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:41am On Sep 09, 2014
Mee234:
It doesn't mean nothing. Honda crosstur have the shape as a model of Ford and Acura(can't remember the model name). What about the hummer buses. Can you tell the different between Toyota and it NISSAN counterpart?

all these brands you quoted have something in common: they all can conceive, design and produce cars. Innoson can only assemble already manufactured parts.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:53am On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

all these brands you quoted have something in common: they all can conceive, design and produce cars. Innoson can only assemble already manufactured parts.
You know this how? Have you asked innoson himself and you were told he can not conceive and implement a design? Or u think he can not because he is a Nigerian. Wouldn't that make you a presumption person making assertions base on what you think and feel instead of fact?

4 Likes

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 7:55am On Sep 09, 2014
grocery:
I doubt you, this where hard work and patronise should come in....when you believe something can be achieved then I don't see any barrier to that. And also we Nigerians should patronize and support them.

Making money is Hard.. So spending money should be done with the head and not on sentiments..

If I wouldnt buy a KIA right now (as a first or second or third option), I wouldnt touch an Innoson with a long stick.

The trick is all in the depreciation.. If in doubt, check out all those who bought Sangyong (or something like that) when it first came into Nigeria and go look at those vehicles today and compare them with their same year counterparts from other Japanese and Korean models and see for yourself.

If the product is tops, it would sell itself.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by tdayof(m): 8:06am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1:

Making money is Hard.. So spending money should be done with the head and not on sentiments..

If I wouldnt buy a KIA right now (as a first or second or third option), I wouldnt touch an Innoson with a long stick.

The trick is all in the depreciation.. If in doubt, check out all those who bought Sangyong (or something like that) when it first came into Nigeria and go look at those vehicles today and compare them with their same year counterparts from other Japanese and Korean models and see for yourself.

ssangyong motor company is Korean!
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 8:23am On Sep 09, 2014
tdayof:
ssangyong motor company is Korean!

Thanks for that..

Its really weird.. I have always thought them to be chinese cos their cars no get life span at all.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by tdayof(m): 8:30am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1:

Thanks for that..

Its really weird.. I have always thought them to be chinese cos their cars no get life span at all.
you are welcome. but seems German cars are still the best? my view tho'
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MightySparrow: 9:00am On Sep 09, 2014
Toyota and kia have come a long way. However, if Igbo factor of 'substandard' does not come into the production, and Nigerian factor of 419 mentality is guided against, why not?

For these factors, I will wait a while to see the durability and performance before I can put my money on any of its product.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by bestym: 9:00am On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: Do you know that toyota and kia design their own cars?
Do you know that toyota and kia parts are not produced in china?
Do you know that toyota and kia don't just stamp their badges on someone else's cars?

Don't compare ingenuity and mediocrity.
innosson does not just stamp his badge on someone else's vehicle if that is what u are implying
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:20am On Sep 09, 2014
Mee234:
You this how? Have you asked innoson himself and you were told he can not conceive and implement a design? Or u think he can not because he is a Nigerian. Wouldn't that make you a presumption person making assertions base on what you think and feel instead of fact?

Oh, he can do that alright. But he doesn't.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:22am On Sep 09, 2014
bestym: innosson does not just stamp his badge on someone else's vehicle if that is what u are implying

Oh yes he does.

Google GAC motors, China. Check out their GONOW and TRUMPCHI brands. That's what innoson assembles in Nnewi and put his badges on.

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by saviola77(m): 9:25am On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer: Do you know that toyota and kia design their own cars?
Do you know that toyota and kia parts are not produced in china?
Do you know that toyota and kia don't just stamp their badges on someone else's cars?

Don't compare ingenuity and mediocrity.
You couldn't have put it any better.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 9:28am On Sep 09, 2014
tdayof:
you are welcome. but seems German cars are still the best? my view tho'

Thats why we never reference them..

The trick in most German cars is that they are built with a target clientel in mind.

Japanese, Korean, Indian and Chinese cars are built to be cheap and reach a very wide market. Now because its cheap, that means they have to keep production cost to the very minimum and what they tend to sacrifice to achieve this is quality and durability.. Thats why their cars have a very short half-life.

And thats why maost of those cars dont ever find their way into the U.S and most big European markets..
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by tdayof(m): 9:32am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1:

The trick in most German cars is that they are built with a target clientel in mind.

Japanese, Korean, Indian and Chinese cars are built to be cheap and reach a very wide market. Now because its cheap, that means they have to keep production cost to the very minimum and what they tend to sacrifice to achieve this is quality and durability.. Thats why their cars have a very short half-life.

And thats why maost of those cars dont ever find their way into the U.S and most big European markets..

interesting and a nice point
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1:

you are talking from your own personal interest. That you wont buy it doesn't mean others wouldn't. I see IVM in a greater height tomorrow.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by londoner: 9:33am On Sep 09, 2014
Yes they can, over time if they innovate and do not rest on their laurels. It is especially so, with the new Vehicle policy from the government which will give Nigeria made cars an advantage.

Its a plus for Nigeria, either Innoson will gain and have to produce a good product, or foreign companies will hve to set up shop in Nigeria. Win win.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by londoner: 9:42am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1:

Actually, Toyota, Nissan, KIA are quite common in the European markets. They are not in the top 10, but they are in the market and quite common. I don't know about the US, but that's because the US promotes buying US products, or what is "perceived" to be US made......lol

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2013-full-year-europe-best-selling-car-manufacturers-brands/
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 9:45am On Sep 09, 2014
grocery:
you are talking from your own personal interest. That you wont buy it doesn't mean others wouldn't. I see IVM in a greater height tomorrow.

Thats why I didnt base my post on emotions.. cool

IVM.. Whats the safety rating on those cars?!
Whats the depreciation rate?
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by omar22(m): 9:47am On Sep 09, 2014
mickyarams:

You know you are a silly doughnut, typical black man with a crab mentality. How many cars has your father produced??
Do you know that some models of Skoda and Volkswagen run on Audi engine, the new Mini run on BMW engine, cars like Dacia run on Renault engine, opel, Vauxhall and Chevrolet all run on GM motors engine.

Volkswagen is the parent company of Audi

BMW owns the Mini

Open, Vauxhaull and Chevy are all part of the GM group

1 Like

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by tyor: 9:48am On Sep 09, 2014
Inno-fire.....The fact that this guy dines with the government gives no credence to his company and his products. I do NOT think any company whether foreign or local can be closely knit with Nigerian government and maintain quality.

If you want to test your product, try and operate with the private sector driven market in Nigeria, and come and show us the results over time.

Econet/Vmobile/celtel/Zain/Airtel in Nigeria can testify of how private sector led businesses aspire growth.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 9:50am On Sep 09, 2014
londoner:

Actually, Toyota, Nissan, KIA are quite common in the European markets. They are not in the top 10, but they are in the market and quite common. I don't know about the US, but that's because the US promotes buying US products, or what is "perceived" to be US made......lol

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/europe/2013-full-year-europe-best-selling-car-manufacturers-brands/

Toyota, Nissans, KIA's and co are indeed in the american market.. Not all their ranges and even the ones that do are built to spec for the American market. grin Thats why a Sienna brought in from Yankee and one brought in from Asia are different in spec. grin

America would not allow cars that dont have a certain level of quality and safety rating into their market.

2 Likes

Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by londoner: 9:54am On Sep 09, 2014
Well, I take back what I said about the US, it seems Honda, Kia and Toyota and Nissan are doing even better in the US, than Europe.

Their cars made the top ten for sales in 2013. It shows you that perception and fact are not always the same. Yet the former is more powerful. Innoson should take note of this human factor.

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2014/01/americas_top_20_best-selling_v.html
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by omar22(m): 9:55am On Sep 09, 2014
princefunmi:

What you call mediocrity was the starting point for Kia in 1944 when they started. They started by making bicycle parts. [b]Today they are killing Toyota and Honda who have been in the scene longer than they have been.

[/b]It is the likes of you that will always condemn anything coming from Nigeria, yet you will never make your own contribution.

They are not killing NOTHING!!!!!

Kia is there but in the small car, Hatch back, 5 doors, Sedan, estate, Luxury or coupe... Kia is nowhere near dominating any of those market. They might make one model that wins best small car of the year but it doesnt mean they are dominating that market. Do you know how long the "Corolla" dominated the small car industry before the Volkswagen Golf moved in?
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by londoner: 9:56am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1:

Toyota, Nissans, KIA's and co are indeed in the american market.. Not all their ranges and even the ones that do are built to spec for the American market. grin Thats why a Sienna brought in from Yankee and one brought in from Asia are different in spec. grin

America would not allow cars that dont have a certain level of quality and safety rating into their market.

Ok, but you kind of presented it as if you wont see those brands in Europe or the US?
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by omar22(m): 9:57am On Sep 09, 2014
ba7man: @alfa szeltzer just busted the whole Innoson propaganda.

Why didn't they rebadge a VW product like Skoda or Seat did?? I would buy that kind of Innoson.

Volkswage took over Skoda and Seat and continue to run those firms and supplied parts and engines and modified designs
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:04am On Sep 09, 2014
MadCow1:

Lexus, Honda, Toyota, Acura, Infiniti, Hyundai, they are Japanese and Korean brand, they don't come cheap depending on the model, trim level and option installed. They are well built they are more reliable and durable than most European and American brand. They don't cut corners during production Lexus for one is produced in Tahara plant which is the most robotized and most computerized manufacturing plant in the world today, They even sell much more units than the over glorified European marques. Why are they durable, reliable and sell more?
Pls let's not bring in racism or other form of sentiments into this highly interesting topic.

Thanks.
Re: Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 09, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

Oh, he can do that alright. But he doesn't.
Just as Acura, Honda and Ford can have the capacity to do design but don't! You posting picture of similar products from different manufacturer does mean each don't have it own concept. Ketocolnazone have more than one manufacturer producing it.
NB
Innoson could send specification to those Chinese companies like others are doing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

This Trailer Could Just Be A Death Trap As Seen In Lagos (photo) / Toyota Has Set The Record For The World's Fastest SUV With 230mph(Photos) / Rolls Royce Goes Into Flying Taxis, To Be Ready By 2019 For Testing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.