Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,977 members, 7,814,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega (1955 Views)

Amaechi And Dakuku Peter Side Both Lost Their Polling Units To PDP / Tinubu And Atiku At Their Polling Units (photos) / Irregularities at Imo polling units,military arrest Information Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Everfrank(m): 1:33am On Sep 11, 2014
The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Attahiru Jega on Wednesday explained why the commission has allocated more polling units to the geo-political zones in the North, than those in the South, saying the plan is based on the existing number of registered voters in the country, which he put at 70,383,427. 

Ahead of the 2015 election, the electoral body has proposed to allocate more than 21,000 new polling units to the north, while the south will receive about 8,000.

The plan is not yet finalized. But the ratio has angered the three geopolitical zones in the south, with some calling for Mr. Jega’s resignation, accusing him of bias. At a press conference Wednesday, Mr. Jega vowed not to resign, and said those asking him to quit lack adequate information on the exercise and are being mischievous. The Commission had last month announced its plan to create additional PUs before the general elections next year to bring the number of units in the country to 150,000 from the original 119,973.

According to the proposal, the three geo-political zones in the North will have about 21, 000, which is 70% of the new units, while the three zones in the south got about 8,000 units. The state-by-state analysis shows that while Lagos will have the highest number of the PUs with 3,159 PUs, while Imo State will have the least with 42. However, fierce criticisms have trailed the exercise with some groups alleging that it was aimed at foisting the dominance of one section of the country over the others for political advantage.

The South-South Peoples Assembly, SSPA, went a step further by demanding the resignation of the INEC Chairman and should not be allowed to conduct the 2015 general elections. Mr. Jega, an indigene of Kebbi State in the North West zone, said the Commission’s plan is “sincere and well-intentioned,” and not designed to confer any political advantage on any individual, political party or region.

He said though the outcry was understandable, but regrettable given the low level of public trust in governance institutions in Nigeria, the decision of the Commission to re-configure the structure of the PUs and create additional ones was “driven by our collective aspirations as Nigerians to reform and improve upon the electoral process for free, fair, peaceful and credible elections in 2015 and beyond”.

Stating that there was no sectional or parochial agenda in this decision, the INEC chairman stressed that it was aimed at easing the access of voters to the ballot box by decongesting over crowded PUs and dispersing voters as evenly as possible among all the PUs. The “need factor” more than political sentiments, informed the patterns of distribution of the PUs being proposed,” Mr Jega added. “Still, the Commission has not been unmindful of the political nature of the exercise; and that is why it took the decision that (1) no state will lose any PUs from its stock of existing units, no matter the statistical outlook when voter population is exaggerated into units of 500 persons; and (ii) every state will get some additional polling units from 15% of the total being newly created on the basis of ‘equality principle’ regardless of the number of PUs already existing in each state in comparison to the voter population,” he said.

“We have already made the computed figures in this regard public. Contrary to the argument by critics, the Commission is not working on imaginary population sizes based on perceived patterns of migration by potential voters, rather, it is working with the documented register of voters as we have it at the moment.”

He expressed worry that critics seemed to focus on the allocation of the proposed units and urged them to compare the total allocations state by state. Explaining further the methodology used in arriving at the new arrangement, Mr. Jega said since PUs are created to service registered voters, “the fairest and most logical criterion to use in distributing the 150,000 PUs nationwide is the number of registered voters.” He stressed, “At present the post-AFIS (i.e. after removing duplicate registrants) figure of registered voters is the most appropriate figure of registered voters that is available nationwide, to use; hence the decision to use post-AFIS figures, as the basis for distributing the 150,000 polling units.

“The simplest way to distribute the 150,000 polling units is to divide the number of registered voters in each state by 500 (maximum of registered per polling unit.) He explained that the present structure of PUs was created in 1996 by the defunct National Electoral Commission of Nigeria, NECOM, which created 120,000 PUs and 8,809 wards (registration areas). According to him, the structure of the polling units had been used for the 1999, 2003, 2007 and 2011 general elections and that there had been exponential growth in Nigeria’s populations as well as severe demographic shifts resulting from new settlements in major urban areas since 1996.

Mr. Jega further explained that the rise in population with corresponding increase in the number of eligible voters was clearly manifested during the 2011 fresh voter registration exercise. According to him, in order to ameliorate the challenges of managing polling units with large number of voters, INEC introduced the concept of “Voting Points’ where polling units with large numbers of voters were subdivided into multiple of manageable numbers of about 300, with a maximum of 450 registered voters. “About 150,000 polling units are required to ensure right-sizing of our polling units based on the number of registered voters,” he said. No reversal The INEC chairman said the Commission had no plan to reverse the decision, stressing “We have taken a decision; we have not yet implemented that decision. People, because they don’t have enough information misunderstood it, some perhaps mischievously. But we are hoping that the information we are providing will make people understand.

“I cannot sit down here and tell you whether we will reverse or we will not reverse. What is clear is that many people are taking hard position on the issue when they are ill-informed and they are very passionate and emotive about it.” On how the Commission would manage the creation of polling units in the areas of the country ravaged by insurgency, he said though the development was “unfortunate and regrettable” the situation would soon be addressed and that those displaced would return. He said, “The hope of everybody is that normalcy will return and people will come back to their places. So the displacement of people in any of these places is a temporary phenomenon.

You cannot say we should create polling units when we have information that people have registered in that area because they are temporary dislocated. The displacement is temporary.” Mr. Jega said he was not bothered about the calls for his resignation over the proposed creation of the PUs because he and the Commission’s staff were convinced of what they were doing. He said, “Anybody can say anything and they are entitled to do so. This is not the first time people are calling for my removal or resigning or being fired.

That doesn’t bother me. I do my best and all the commissioners are doing their best. “Forget about removal. Any of us here can fall and die tomorrow. So long as we are here we will do what we believe is right. We did not lobby anybody to come here.

We were brought here because people knew we will do the right thing and we will continue to do it as long as we have the opportunity to continue to do it. “So, don’t worry. I myself I won’t wait until I am fired. The day I know myself I can’t do this job to satisfy my conscience I will leave. I am here in INEC to do national service and I believe I am making sacrifices, not only myself but also the national commissioners.”http://www.nigerianeye.com/2014/09/why-were-giving-more-polling-units-to.
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by OreMI22: 4:20am On Sep 11, 2014
Scientific rigging at its best! So north has 70% of the polling units while a state like Imo with 27 Local government ares will have 42. Barely one per local government area. Yet you expect People in their villages to defy the non movement declared on election days and find their way to their LGA head quarters just to vote! So if they don't vote, the riggers will vote for them!

Jega should resign for plotting such evil already!

2 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by condralbede(m): 5:12am On Sep 11, 2014
Story to the gods.....
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Rawani: 5:42am On Sep 11, 2014
Instead of blowing hot air, aggrieved parties should suggest a better formula for distribution of PU's that will avoid the problems of over-crowding, without the usual emotion-laden verbal diatribe. It seems the hope of BH decimating the North's population has horribly disappointed their sponsors. Thank God our soldiers are reclaiming lost territory and sending the bloody jihadists to their brothel in the sky.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Yujin(m): 5:58am On Sep 11, 2014
JEGA's explanation is unconvincing. How can he expect us to believe that areas where there are multiple cases of civil unrest with its attendant loss of lives and displacement of people will still have more people to vote? With about ten thousand people killed and tens of thousands relocating from the north down to the south, he still wants us to believe that this day-light robbery is justified. I'm highly ashamed of him as it appears that he is taking us for fools.
Like they did to Festus Odumegwu, so we do 'let him resign'. His action is totally unacceptable. Imagine Imo state the sixth most populous state in southern Nigeria having the least increment in polling units! This reeks of bias.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Nobody: 6:01am On Sep 11, 2014
this guy is trying to influence the outcome of 2015 election

3:1 ratio of distribution of polling unit is mathematically and logistically inexplicable

whats wrong with sharing it 50:50?
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by BlackTechnology: 6:03am On Sep 11, 2014
Rawani: Instead of blowing hot air, aggrieved parties should suggest a better formula for distribution of PU's that will avoid the problems of over-crowding, without the usual emotion-laden verbal diatribes. It seems some peoples hope of BH decimating the North's population has horribly disappointed them. Thank God our soldiers are reclaiming lost territory and sending the bloody jihadists to their brothel in the sky.

Can you now applaud GEJ for giving Jega free hand

From your comment can we conclude that Jona is not behind the decimation of Northern Nigeria through BH
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by RockMaxi: 6:10am On Sep 11, 2014
Smh for people who really don't understand the political awareness of the north over the south.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Rawani: 6:14am On Sep 11, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Can you now applaud GEJ for giving Jega free hand

From your comment can we conclude that Jona is not behind the decimation of Northern Nigeria through BH

Wrong. From my comment you can conclude that the PDP failed in their plan to use terror for electoral advantage. I don't celebrate mediocrity so I cannot share your excitement that GJ 'gave free-hand' to INEC, when it's supposed to be Independent in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by BlackTechnology: 6:15am On Sep 11, 2014
Yujin: JEGA's explanation is unconvincing. How can he expect us to believe that areas where there are multiple cases of civil unrest with its attendant loss of lives and displacement of people will still have more people to vote? With about ten thousand people killed and tens of thousands relocating from the north down to the south, he still wants us to believe that this day-light robbery is justified. I'm highly ashamed of him as it appears that he is taking us for fools.
Like they did to Festus Odumegwu, so we do 'let him resign'. His action is totally unacceptable. Imagine Imo state the sixth most populous state in southern Nigeria having the least increment in polling units! This reeks of bias.

This is why I believe Nigeria will collapse in 2015

We all know that 2015 will see massive movement of Southerners to the South in order to avoid Northern madness. Yet he decided to allocate more polling units to the North who are already experiencing depopulation and will continue to experience it as 2015 approaches

Well only God knows what he has in mind

I hope this action won't see ethnic cleansing occurring in the North in an effort to further drive away Southerners and Northern Christians from NW leading to the repeat of the happenings taking place in the NE

1 Like

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by BlackTechnology: 6:19am On Sep 11, 2014
Rawani:
Wrong. From my comment you can conclude that the PDP failed in their plan to use terror for electoral advantage. I don't celebrate mediocrity so I cannot share your excitement that GJ 'gave free-hand' to INEC, when it's supposed to be Independent in the first place.

Funny you

You forgot how OBJ made INEC dependent on him

Now applaud Jona for giving Jega free hand

As for this wrong decision, it will be reviewed
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Rawani: 6:23am On Sep 11, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Now applaud Jona for giving Jega free hand

INEC - Independent National Electoral Commission

4 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Rawani: 6:32am On Sep 11, 2014
BlackTechnology:
As for this wrong decision, it will be reviewed

Can you suggest an alternative formula for PU allocation which will avoid over-crowding and the resultant dis-enfranchisement of registered voters? I am in need of a superior argument because I also agree that the present system gives the south an unfortunate handicap.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by BlackTechnology: 6:43am On Sep 11, 2014
Rawani:

INEC - Independent National Electoral Commission

Under OBJ it was dependent on OBJ

True or False
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Rawani: 6:45am On Sep 11, 2014
BlackTechnology:

Under OBJ it was dependent on OBJ

True or False

Why should I be concerned with 2011 when we are discussing 2015? You have made no point sir & you are derailing the thread.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Nobody: 6:53am On Sep 11, 2014
Senators from the south must raise an alarm and question Jega
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by BlackTechnology: 6:54am On Sep 11, 2014
Rawani:

Can you suggest an alternative formula for PU allocation which will avoid over-crowding and the resultant dis-enfranchisement of registered voters? I am in need of a superior argument because I also agree that the present system gives the south an unfortunate handicap.

First and foremost

Let the computer data for Northern Nigeria be sent South and vice versa.

Secondly

Let the software that deletes multiple registration be done to verify if Northern INEC officers applied the software

Thirdly

After the first two steps, he will be able to make a better decision

Let me reveal this to you

The computer data of Jos North , Shendam and Wase were never screen using that software because the Muslim woman in charge did not do it to give the Hausa Fulanis an advantage

If you doubt me, go find out yourself.

This secret is unknown to plateau people.

We kept it secret to avoid blood shed.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by BlackTechnology: 6:57am On Sep 11, 2014
Rawani:

Why should I be concerned with 2011 when we are discussing 2015? You have made no point sir & you are derailing the thread.

You have never worked with INEC that is why you rant like a small boy

2015 is the continuation of 2011 with modifications just as Jega is trying to do
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by 9jii(m): 7:00am On Sep 11, 2014
North is far more populous than the South.
You may denied it but any method will prove it.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Rawani: 7:17am On Sep 11, 2014
BlackTechnology:
First and foremost

Let the computer data for Northern Nigeria be sent South and vice versa.

Where in the south? Do you know where the INEC headquarters is located? Do you realize Abuja was made the FCT because of these kind of problems? For the 3rd time today i ask, do you realize INEC is by definition, an independent body?

BlackTechnology:
Secondly

Let the software that deletes multiple registration be done to verify if Northern INEC officers applied the software

That feature should already be incorporated in the architecture of the data collection software. How exactly did you also determine the ethnicity of the officers?

BlackTechnology:

After the first two steps, he will be able to make a better decision

Let me reveal this to you

The computer data of Jos North , Shendam and Wase were never screen using that software because the Muslim woman in charge did not do it to give the Hausa Fulanis an advantage

Really, what is the source of your allegation? That sounds like beer parlour banter, please have concrete evidence when next you want to throw around weighty allegations with enough venom to ignite fresh hostilities.

I appreciate your argument, but unless the issues i highlighted are resolved, it is just not feasible.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by rexzqcom(m): 7:17am On Sep 11, 2014
Total current registered voters----------70,383,427 Numbers of voter per voting unit---- 500
Total numbers of voting units (stations)----70,383,427 divide by 500 = 140,766.8

What is the justification for allocating 300 and a possible maximum of 450 to some voting stations to arrive at 150,000 polling unit?
This irregular arrangement create loophole for ghost-voters to be allotted to some units. For the purpose of transparency, the usual
500 per unit is good. Districts or precincts with more than 500 voters to a voting unit should have the overage assigned to neighboring
units with less than 500 voters per voting units. There is no justification for creating more than 70,383,427/500=140,767 polling units

Required polling units----140,767
Existing polling units----119,973
polling units to be created----------20,794.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Rawani: 7:22am On Sep 11, 2014
BlackTechnology:

[s]You have never worked with INEC that is why you rant like a small boy[/s]

To think I almost thought we could have intelligent discourse above the mediocrity characteristic of naive political commentators. Sad.

1 Like

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by size38: 7:29am On Sep 11, 2014
JEGA has nothing to explain to anybody. While our southern brothers are busy ignoring voters registration exercise, by exhibiting I don't care attitude, our votes doesn't count, some equally go as far as saying they are not Nigerians, they are Biafrans etc. Our Northern brothers will queue up for days to make sure they get themselves registered for every election. They should leave JEGA alone. B4 tribal warlords begin to abuse me, not a northerner. Am a full southerner. But this is my submission.

4 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Nobody: 7:31am On Sep 11, 2014
Rawani: Instead of blowing hot air, aggrieved parties should suggest a better formula for distribution of PU's that will avoid the problems of over-crowding, without the usual emotion-laden verbal diatribes. It seems the hope of BH decimating the North's population has horribly disappointed their sponsors. Thank God our soldiers are reclaiming lost territory and sending the bloody jihadists to their brothel in the sky.
Parasite alert!!!
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Rawani: 7:37am On Sep 11, 2014
Rexxie:
Parasite alert!!!

Rawani: Instead of blowing hot air, aggrieved parties should suggest a better formula for distribution of PU's that will avoid the problems of over-crowding, without the usual emotion-laden verbal diatribes. It seems the hope of BH decimating the North's population has horribly disappointed their sponsors. Thank God our soldiers are reclaiming lost territory and sending the bloody jihadists to their brothel in the sky.
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Nobody: 7:42am On Sep 11, 2014
Rawani:

Leech..
Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 11, 2014
All these Old senile men like Edwin Clark and Ekweme should stop being "emotional" and sentimental. INEC Chairman is working with the Number of registered voters at its disponsal. Inec did not manufacture the list. Every state is represented in the INEC board, the States Representatives hasn't cried foul but some silly and senile men making baseless and tribalistic accusation. Last time I checked, they are pro-Jonathan and so are scared of 2015.

3 Likes

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by BlackTechnology: 7:49am On Sep 11, 2014
Rawani:

Where in the south? Do you know where the INEC headquarters is located? Do you realize Abuja was made the FCT because of these kind of problems? For the 3rd time today i ask, do you realize INEC is by definition, an independent body?

That feature should already be incorporated in the architecture of the data collection software. How exactly did you also determine the ethnicity of the officers?

Really, what is the source of your allegation? That sounds like beer parlour banter, please have concrete evidence when next you want to throw around weighty allegations with enough venom to ignite fresh hostilities.

I appreciate your argument, but unless the issues i highlighted are resolved, it is just not feasible.

My friend I have worked with INEC before

My friends worked in INEC

This info was verified by me when my friend brought the registration sheets to convinced me

If you doubt me go to Jos INEC and ask for the pre and post registration sheets of these Shendam , Wase , Jos North and the Muslim woman in charge

Unknown to her, some of my friends knew but I told them to keep it secret to avoid blood bath.

1 Like

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 11, 2014
size38: JEGA has nothing to explain to anybody. While our southern brothers are busy ignoring voters registration exercise, by exhibiting I don't care attitude, our votes doesn't count, some equally go as far as saying they are not Nigerians, they are Biafrans etc. Our Northern brothers will queue up for days to make sure they get themselves registered for every election. They should leave JEGA alone. B4 tribal warlords begin to abuse me, not a northerner. Am a full southerner. But this is my submission.
You have to be specific about those calling themselves Biafrians. Plsssssss
My brothers here actually have this "I don't care" attitude to election. The misconception of votes don't count powered by institutionalised rigging of the PDP has eaten so deep that it requires serious orientation for it to be eradicated. Most people that even registered won't vote unlike the North that always record high vote turnout.

1 Like

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Rawani: 8:01am On Sep 11, 2014
whatlyf: All these Old senile men like Edwin Clark and Ekweme should stop being "emotional" and sentimental. INEC Chairman is working with the Number of registered voters at its disponsal. Inec did not manufacture the list. Every state is represented in the INEC board, the States Representatives hasn't cried foul but some silly and senile men making baseless and tribalistic accusation. Last time I checked, they are pro-Jonathan and so are scared of 2015.

It is glaring that the basis for distribution of PU's is voter population, they would rather prefer a chaotic and overcrowded environment where their electoral malpractices will be shielded from prying eyes. What other basis is there for PU allocation?

1 Like

Re: Why We Are Giving More Polling Units To The North- Jega by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 11, 2014
Rawani:

It is glaring that the basis for distribution of PU's is voter population, they would rather prefer a chaotic and overcrowded environment where their electoral malpractices will be shielded from prying eyes. What other basis is there for PU allocation?
These are the same people that has been holding Nigeria to ransome. Instead of to objectively criticise the move, they are playing to emotional and tribal tactics(ie if they must criticise)

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Much Did Jonathan Pay For The Fake Ceasefire? / Alert! Ecobank Nigeria Plc / GEJ; Phd Holder Misfired English At Enugu Campaign.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.