Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,007 members, 7,825,120 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

"Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo (2322 Views)

(PICTURE) APC Legislator Caught Contesting In Two States / Jonathan Lacks Capacity To Secure Nigeria, Fight Corruption - Festus Keyamo / Keyamo Petitions Prisons Over Attempt To Sodomise Charles Okah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by xanadu: 5:28pm On Oct 30, 2008
Now, I did not watch the proceedings of the House Ethics Committee hearing on the N2.3bn car deal with renowned lawyer Festus Keyamo on Wednesday.

However, I have just read an interesting piece covering the hearing here:

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/oct/30/709.html (see full story below)

Apparently, the hearing turned into a stormy verbal match between some legislators and the lawyer.

But of very interesting note in that story is the quote from a legislator to Keyamo:
"Who are you? Who are you?"
and another:
"I will kill him (Keyamo). I am a street boy from Port Harcourt."

This is in the House of Representatives - representatives of the Nigerian people, responsible for making laws! Any wonder why the country is in the state it is currently in, if those statements were indeed made, as reported?

Another worrying aspect is a comment attributed to the Chairman of the committee, Sani Saleh Minjibir:

But Minjibir cautioned that "we are honourable members. And if we are given an assignment, we should be broadminded to understand where these people (referring to Keyamo) are coming from. If somebody tries to get the worst from us, why should we allow him?"

Focusing on the portion I have put in bold, does it appear to you as if he has[b] ALREADY [/b]assumed that Keyamo, who had come to give evidence, was trying to get the worst from the legislators?

With public 'hearings' like this, we certainly don't need soap-operas in Nigeria.
N2.3bn Car deal: Keyamo, ethics panel members in shouting match
By Festus Owete and Otei Oham, Abuja

Tempers flared in Abuja on Wednesday when Lagos lawyer, Festus Keyamo, engaged lawmakers in a shouting match during the public hearing on his allegation that the N2.3 billion car deal in the House of Representatives is fraudulent.

advertisement

Legislators shouted at Keyamo, he responded angrily and insisted that they must account for the money.

His exchanges with members of the House Ethics Committee led to name calling, abuse, and death threats, despite attempts by the Committee Chairman, Sani Saleh Minjibir, to control the situation.

A member of the Committee, Yakubu Dogara (PDP, Bauchi) questioned Keyamo on the authenticity of the documents he attached to the letter he wrote to Speaker Dimeji Bankole.

Keyamo refused to disclose his source. This angered some members of the Committee.

Nnenna Ukeje (PDP, Abia) accused him of not having anything substantial to prove his case, and of merely "playing to the gallery.

Warman Ogoriba (PDP, Bayelsa) shouted at Keyamo, asking him: "Who are you? Who are you?"

Keyamo shouted back: "Who am I? Who am I? Look, I have not abused him and he is abusing me. You are asking who am I. A Committee member asking who am I, a Nigerian citizen? Can the lawmaker apologise to me, Mr. Chairman?"

At a point, Ogoriba got up and declared: "I will kill him (Keyamo). I am a street boy from Port Harcourt."

Jerry Manwe (PDP, Taraba) joined in, adding: "The boy (Keyamo) is a criminal. In fact, he made a submission and he's contradicting himself."

But as he left the venue, Keyamo shouted back to the lawmakers: "You must give account of the money! You must give account!"

As he was leaving, a member of the Committee blocked the door and rained abuses on him. Keyamo gave as much as he got.

But Minjibir cautioned that "we are honourable members. And if we are given an assignment, we should be broadminded to understand where these people (referring to Keyamo) are coming from. If somebody tries to get the worst from us, why should we allow him?"

Keyamo later recounted to journalists how "it is clear to Nigerians that this Committee cannot deliver justice. You have seen it yourselves. In fact, the member nearly assaulted me outside but I kept my peace."

Earlier in his testimony, Keyamo had faulted the Peugeot Automobile of Nigeria (PAN) over the various price lists, and insisted that the company "must refund about N0.5 billion being the difference of the money paid for the purchase of the 20 Comfort Peugeot 407 cars and 360 ST Sport Automatic Peugeot car into the coffer of the House of Representatives."

Newswatch Executive Editor, Bala Dan Abu, who appeared after Keyamo, said the magazine stands by its publication on the alleged scam.

"In the course of investigation, we called the PAN people but no response. I am surprised they are talking now. Their decision to talk now is suspect. I cannot take whatever they are dishing out now hook, line, and sinker," he added.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On Oct 30, 2008
Nigeria ti te! Are these the sort of people we still have in office in the year 2008?? roflmao!!
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by ifyalways(f): 8:01pm On Oct 30, 2008
This is really embarrassing angry
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by asha80(m): 10:35pm On Oct 30, 2008
grin grin grin angry angry angry
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Pap: 11:01pm On Oct 30, 2008
So. . . who is he?
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by subice(m): 11:35pm On Oct 30, 2008
How can such people make laws for the good of the 'common' Nigerian citizen? Only those who rigged their way in would talk like that! Representatives my foot (to use the polite version). Yaradua, forget about Channels, the PDP is the single biggest threat to the national security and existence of Nigeria! I honestly don't know if to laugh or cry. I'm sure Nigeria has more to offer than people like the 'street boy from Port Harcourt'.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by PepERSprAY: 11:40pm On Oct 30, 2008
"I will kill him (Keyamo). I am a street boy from Port Harcourt."

God help Nigeria. How can Rivers people be sending touts to the house in the name of reps?.

Shame on them.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by agaba123(m): 11:48pm On Oct 30, 2008
Nigeria we hailed thee
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by subice(m): 12:02am On Oct 31, 2008
'I am a street boy from Port Harcourt'. I would love to see that as the headline on the morning paper. The man deserves exposure.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by PepERSprAY: 12:05am On Oct 31, 2008
'I am a street boy from Port Harcourt'. I would love to see that as the headline on the morning paper. The man deserves exposure.
Govt worker. Does he think he is in MEND's meeting?
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by idupaul: 12:08am On Oct 31, 2008
who appointed keyamo as the national private investigator, keyamo should just be careful cos the day these politician will decide to finally snuff him all thispeople hailing his foolish courage will be no where to support his widow and kids.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Pap: 12:15am On Oct 31, 2008
subice:

How can such people make laws for the good of the 'common' Nigerian citizen? Only those who rigged their way in would talk like that! Representatives my foot (to use the polite version). Yaradua, forget about Channels, the PDP is the single biggest threat to the national security and existence of Nigeria! I honestly don't know if to laugh or cry. I'm sure Nigeria has more to offer than people like the 'street boy from Port Harcourt'.

if u r better than any of the pple here y rnt u a lgislatr?
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by PepERSprAY: 12:44am On Oct 31, 2008
who appointed keyamo as the national private investigator, keyamo should just be careful because the day these politician will decide to finally snuff him all thispeople hailing his foolish courage will be no where to support his widow and kids.
That means that any Nigerian asking for transparency from his/her govt is foolish because he will end up like Bola Ige ?
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by bawomolo(m): 2:35am On Oct 31, 2008
since when orisa become legislator. ha weird country
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by AloyEmeka9: 7:20am On Oct 31, 2008
who appointed keyamo as the national private investigator, keyamo should just be careful because the day these politician will decide to finally snuff him all thispeople hailing his foolish courage will be no where to support his widow and kids.

The guy tough small. No be him take on Omisore and the rest of Ige's killers?
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by landis(m): 9:37am On Oct 31, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Nigeria ti te! Are these the sort of people we still have in office in the year 2008?? roflmao!!

YES and even till end of time.

Problem: We all run away from Nigeria and we expect the 'scums' in government to make things better.

We want a change but within the comfort of our abode in US/EU etc.

How many of you have condemn the arrest of 'elendu reporter'?

We are a nation of dreamers.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Kobojunkie: 10:32am On Oct 31, 2008
Interesting!! so the only way things can work in Nigeria is only when those Nigerians who do not live in Nigeria come back as SAVIOURS? The 140 million or more who are not in government have there hands tied until then, right?? I get you!

We want to change things but those(the 140 million or more)down there who do not have the comfort of EU/USA also want change. Is the change they seek irrelevant? Does condemning the arrest of "elendu reporter" from here matter more than the condemnation coming from down in Nigeria? Or are the 140 million voices down there insignificant and hence not relevant in this fight for change??

Abeg make person hear word oh jare!!
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by xanadu: 11:07am On Oct 31, 2008
Problem: We all run away from Nigeria and we expect the 'scums' in government to make things better.

Ah this is simply fascinating: So until the Nigerians outside Nigeria 'all' come home, the 'scums' in government cannot make things better! Interesting. The Nigerian Army in the Diaspora must rally round, answer the clarion call, and dash home to rescue the countr[/b]y from the hands of the scum (who by the way are [b]mostly (s)elected from among those IN the country).

Landis and all those who believe that only this foreign-based rescue team has the solution, I do hope you are very, very patient. Just wait - all you have to do is wait (and twiddle your thumbs while you're at it), and keep waiting for that army, for that rescue, to come and 'change things'.

@moderator, any suggestions how I can possibly express a typical Nigerian hiss here??
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by asha80(m): 11:28am On Oct 31, 2008
Anybody that does not know that nigeria is a finished country can wait till die kingdom come to see a better nigeria.
The truth is that most(if not) of the rulers and our so called representatves see nigeria as an enterprise to make money from and NOT a country to serve and develop sad
Until we(nigerians both home and abroad) really put our foot down to stop this madness and decide what we really want from nigeria then i would not be suprised if a well known AREA BOY,ALMAJIRI OR STARK ILLITERATE TRADER assumes any kind of political post in nigera.

I will kill him him(keyamo).I am a street boy from port harcourt. shocked angry lipsrsealed
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Pap: 12:04pm On Oct 31, 2008
landis:

YES and even till end of time.

I agree 100%.We r sitting down lookin and saying blah blah blah abt shit.

Kobojunkie is it nt a representative of d pple that sed kill him kill him?does he nt represnt sumbody?
Y dont u run for govt office if u can do a better job?
If nt u can stay here and look at ur computer screen.lol
140million pple my ass.Make a bleeping change if ur good enuf nw.
Even xandu is putting opinion here
Stay here is be writing opinion.nepa will take light while u do it.lol
hiss.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Kobojunkie: 12:11pm On Oct 31, 2008
Pap:

I agree 100%.We r sitting down lookin and saying blah blah blah about shit.

Kobojunkie is it nt a representative of d people that sed kill him kill him?does he nt represnt sumbody?
Y don't u run for govt office if u can do a better job?
140million people my ass.Make a bleeping change if ur good enough nw.
hiss.

I am not sure if you know this but your post only spouts the same old "NIGERIAS saviours are living in Foreign Land" message and you do add some lines from the "TO MAKE A CHANGE YOU HAVE TO RUN FOR OFFICE" rhetoric we get from many in Nigeria as well. Are you sure you are really making sense here? Do you understand what it means to actually change things? Do you understand how change occurs in a country? Do you know understand the place of an individual when it comes to changing a country? Do you really believe that the FATE of the many in Nigeria lies in the hands of those who according to you, are looking at their screens and doing nothing? Seriously, could you people come up with better for pete's sake??
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by xanadu: 2:01pm On Oct 31, 2008
I agree 100%.We r sitting down lookin and saying blah blah blah about shit.

Kobojunkie is it nt a representative of d people that sed kill him kill him?does he nt represnt sumbody?
Y don't u run for govt office if u can do a better job?
140million people my ass.Make a bleeping change if ur good enough nw.
hiss.

Of course you agree. And because you do, Xanadu must not express his or her opinion, nor any one living outside Nigeria. We must all come and stay there. If you are looking for some apology (as some people are wont to do) for my living outside the country, you are looking in the wrong place. If I lived in the Nigeria right now, the country will be a great place, wouldn't it?.

And you? "Y don't u run for govt office if u can do a better job?" He does not want to run for public office (like you who are already a politician, solving the country's problems) - does that mean he must accept the status quo and not comment? Wow - there does seem such a great paucity of capacity to appreciate the true situation Nigeria finds herself in.

Please lets get back to the main issue here - comments/opinions on the Ethics hearing last Wednesday, and leave myopic standpoints to cretins, of which I am certain you are not, Pap.

(By the way, my name is XANADU, NOT xandu, thanks).
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by jaso1(m): 3:21pm On Oct 31, 2008
Having considered one useless formal ekiti governor couple with what is presently happening at the house of rep, it is obvious that those we believed to have acquired effective knowledge from foreign land and in return impacted it positively in our economy were so unfortunately seeing dispaying madness for lucre. You people should knows that there is limit to everything in life, as Dbanj always says " NO LONG THINGS" i swear you will all rip your sowed and the time you will be lobbying to cry is almost here.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 31, 2008
@pepperspray
God help Nigeria. How can Rivers people be sending touts to the house in the name of reps?.
Shame on them.

Govt worker. Does he think he is in MEND's meeting?

All you do is fool yourself day in day out by creating tribal tensions.

Dumb nigerians sending touts and killers to represent them politically is not exclusive to only Rivers state. Its just so foolish to make such statement.

Shame on nigerians!
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by c33b33(m): 3:36pm On Oct 31, 2008
Imagine!if most lawyers start behaving like Keyamo,those touts who call themselves politicians won't try to steal!What the hell is Madam Farida doing?!Keyamo go on jo!no mind them!criminals!
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by PollMaster: 4:21pm On Oct 31, 2008
Keyamo is doing his own part.

Who r these two people: Kobojunkie and xantas.
So u live outside Nigeria.Im sure you love Nigeria nd all that and no one has a problem with u being out of the country.and u still rep Nigeria
God bless you on that point.

Kobojunkie:
I dnt understand ur reply to Pap.
U seem to be vexd at the pple living outside Nigeria?R u saying they have little or nothing to contribute?
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by jaso1(m): 4:35pm On Oct 31, 2008
Nemesis will soon catch up with all of them, i can't even blame them since judiciary seem to have been corrupted vide its back hand which breeds this stupidity. For a rep to be arrogant simply because he was called for questions and also treating to kill, yet  accolade kudos by some crook member of reps!  it's silly, i can't imagine this, my people is high time you should all wake up from dead.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Kobojunkie: 6:51pm On Oct 31, 2008
PollMaster:

Keyamo is doing his own part.

Who r these two people: Kobojunkie and xantas.
So u live outside Nigeria.I'm sure you love Nigeria nd all that and no one has a problem with u being out of the country.and u still rep Nigeria
God bless you on that point.

Kobojunkie:
I dnt understand ur reply to Pap.
U seem to be vexd at the people living outside Nigeria?R u saying they have little or nothing to contribute?

I am vexed at people living outside Nigeria?? Where in my post do you get that idea from though?? My post clearly shows that people should stop waiting on those outside to come SAVE them from the BAD politicians they keep electing into office and allowing to live and die in office.

I already vote where I am here. Do I have to come back to Nigeria as MESSIAH to the over 140 million people living there for things to change in that country?? The same person with the "NIGERIANS outside should come save us" mentality knows how to criticize everything western governments do as if they are there to SERVE his person. Why can he not do same and ACT as those in western cultures do, right where he is? No be the same democracy? OH WAIT!!! I remember, it is democracy hijacked by some goons, while the millions who live under it continue to walk around like the living-dead waiting for their MESSIAHS who live abroad to come save them?? Come on!!! roflmao!!
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by debosky(m): 7:02pm On Oct 31, 2008
bawomolo:

since when orisa become legislator. ha weird country

actually the term is oraisa grin grin

Seriously though, Keyamo should be commended, these people feel they are untouchable or cannot be questioned. He had the balls to stand up to them and give as good as he got.

I've always suspected Bankole is just another thief, he is just masquerading as being clean while he actually isn't. Keyamo should press on and not give up till the truth behind this matter is unravelled.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by PollMaster: 7:32pm On Oct 31, 2008
Kobojunkie
Thanks for your reply.
But I do not think Nigerians are waiting on those outside to do anything.
What can they do?I say that without giving any offence.
But this is the first time Im hearing that Nigerians are waiting for those in diaspora to do anything.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Kobojunkie: 7:37pm On Oct 31, 2008
PollMaster:

Kobojunkie
Thanks for your reply.
But I do not think Nigerians are waiting on those outside to do anything.
What can they do?I say that without giving any offence.
But this is the first time I'm hearing that Nigerians are waiting for those in diaspora to do anything.

Well, someone made the suggestion and I responded.
Re: "Who Are You? Who Are You?" - Legislator To Keyamo by Mustay(m): 1:15am On Nov 02, 2008
Simply the class mentality attitude Niagrans posses

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jos On Fire! 7 Muslim Motorist Killed By Berom Militants Along Abuja Road / Nnpc Promotions:s-south: 45% Nw/ne/nc: 28% / Jonathan Approves N600 Billion For Demographic Database – NPC Chairman.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.