Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,651 members, 7,955,363 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 12:10 AM

Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force (32400 Views)

See What This Dude Is Giving To God / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) / Who Really Rules The World, Jehovah God or Satan?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 5:24am On Sep 16, 2014
[color=#006600][/color]u people sud beta apply ur senses and dont be deceived, Quran verses dt encourage killing kufr as jihad were addressed to d companions of d prophet coz dy were baffled with d overwhelming numbers of d kufr and wanted to leave d prophet. u ppl hav been twisting those a'hyats d other way round, feat the wrath of the creator of the universe coz he forbids manipulating the glorious Quran.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by tomiobj(m): 7:47am On Sep 16, 2014
Apatheist: Washington (AFP) - The US Air Force has told a sergeant he will have to leave the military unless he agrees to take an oath with the phrase "so help me God," officials said Tuesday.

In the latest religious controversy to roil the air force, the atheist airman last month was denied his request to re-enlist because of his refusal to swear to God -- and he is now poised to take the military to court, his lawyer said.

"We have not received word from the Air Force regarding our letter. It has not indicated a willingness to settle out of court," said Monica Miller, an attorney for the American Humanist Association, which has taken up the service member's case.

With the deadline for re-enlisting expiring in November, the technical sergeant at Creech Air Force base in Nevada -- whose name has not been released -- will be forced to sue the government in a federal court, Miller told AFP.

In the past, an airman could opt for an alternative phrase and omit the words "so help me God," but the US Air Force changed its policy in October 2013.

The other branches of the American military do not require the reference to God and make the phrase optional.

"This is the only branch to my knowledge that's actually requiring everyone in all instances to use the religious language," Miller said.

The requirement violates the US Constitution, which bars religious tests to hold office or other positions, Miller said of the case, which was first reported by the Air Force Times.

"The government cannot compel a nonbeliever to take an oath that affirms the existence of a supreme being," she said. The sergeant's service expires in November and he has until then to re-enlist and take the oath, said US Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek.

In the meantime, "a written legal opinion is being requested" from the Pentagon's top lawyer, she said.

The air force has been plagued by controversy for years over religion and the role of Christian evangelists.

The US Air Force Academy in Colorado faced accusations several years ago that evangelical Christians exerted a dominating influence over the institution.

But attempts to counter the perceived bias in the service have sparked criticism from Christian activist groups, who allege a new rule stifles the religious expression of troops.

The disputed rule bars commanders from promoting their religious convictions to their subordinates.

Advocates of the policy say it protects troops who worry their careers could be jeopardized if they do not take part in their superior's Christian activities.

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-must-swear-god-leave-us-air-force-232153866.html;_ylt=AwrTWf2zlg9UkzAA5rLQtDMD
ds guy has mind makn us look bad....helll be shocked when he slumps in his apartment tomorrow
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:53am On Sep 16, 2014
tomiobj: ds guy has mind makn us look bad....helll be shocked when he slumps in his apartment tomorrow

Why would you say something like that? Do you want him dead? While I disagree with the man, I am not looking for him to die

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by tomiobj(m): 8:06am On Sep 16, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Why would you say something like that? Do you want him dead? While I disagree with the man, I am not looking for him to die

. I don't want him to die. You don't get my point. The us military are very tricky people and they kill anyone they like and can make a fake story. I was being sarcastic when i said slump
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Vikky014(f): 11:15am On Sep 16, 2014
FrancisTony:

All these religious fanatics and christian bigots.

I am a Christian and Last time I checked, no where is it stated in the bible that we should bully those who don't share our faith.

With this your comment, no wonder boko haram is killing christians in the north and Allah is blessing them. undecided undecided
JOHN 16:2 is d reason
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by makahlj2: 11:22am On Sep 16, 2014
Big deal. I'm an atheist and have no problem swearing to God, Yahweh, Elohim, Allah, Jesus, Jupiter, Zeus or everyone else. It's just that such an oath would be of no value for me and I wouldn't consider it binding at all. So, it would be not my problem but of the folks who would expect loyalty from me.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Ubenedictus(m): 5:32pm On Sep 16, 2014
logicboy01:

not only is the bold part irrelevant but it is also false.

You'd be hard pressed to find a secular government forcing christians to say "there is no God"
that is only true because the so-called secular government are headed by people who profess religion.

Do you remember what happen when atheist gained control of governments?

Ohhh yeah, i remember... We had atheistic communism.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Ubenedictus(m): 5:39pm On Sep 16, 2014
logicboy01:

not only is the bold part irrelevant but it is also false.

You'd be hard pressed to find a secular government forcing christians to say "there is no God"
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 6:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ubenedictus: that is only true because the so-called secular government are headed by people who profess religion.

Do you remember what happen when atheist gained control of governments?

Ohhh yeah, i remember... We had atheistic communism.

See the liar?

1) The most humble president ever in this present time is an atheist- Jose Mujica (country flourished under him)
2) The former Australian prime minister is an atheist- Julia Gilliard
3) Communism is a religion. Are there not secular countries that are not communist countries?

Twisting and lying will not get you far.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Ubenedictus(m): 6:18pm On Sep 16, 2014
logicboy01:

See the liar?

1) The most humble president ever in this present time is an atheist- Jose Mujica (country flourished under him)
2) The former Australian prime minister is an atheist- Julia Gilliard
3) Communism is a religion. Are there not secular countries that are not communist countries?

Twisting and lying will not get you far.

i still can't see where i lied....

You are very quick to scream liar and penned down your "facts" but unfortunately none of these prove i lied.

I said the last time atheist "took over" governance we had communism, then you give me examples of government where just one person is an atheist.

And you can checked again on atheistic communism.

Have a nice day.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Ubenedictus(m): 6:25pm On Sep 16, 2014
logicboy01:

In short, you have argued that the military is still under the constitution. Imbeci.le

Again, point out where the military or airforce can circumvent the constitution

Even in this case, while the constitution grants power to the congress, it also limits that power by stating

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,...

Meaning that the congress in which you are trying to claim can circumvent the constitution to mandate a religious oath/test can not do it. The constitution forbids the congress from such

imbe.cile

you realise that an alternate arguement can be made, that the oath isn't promoting any religion but is totally inline with the us constitution which seem to acknowlegde "God"?
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 8:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ubenedictus:

you realise that an alternate arguement can be made, that the oath isn't promoting any religion but is totally inline with the us constitution which seem to acknowlegde "God"?

U.S constitution supports a secular country. God is not neccessary

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 8:10pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ubenedictus:

i still can't see where i lied....

You are very quick to scream liar and penned down your "facts" but unfortunately none of these prove i lied.

I said the last time atheist "took over" governance we had communism, then you give me examples of government where just one person is an atheist.

And you can checked again on atheistic communism.

Have a nice day.

Lmao...go and sleep
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by UyiIredia(m): 8:20pm On Sep 16, 2014
davien: And they'll say, "when has religion ever forced you to do anything?" ...forgetting that the most part of human history was filled with religious zealots willing to kill and bash peoples heads' in for apostacy... undecided
The same applies to atheism and atheist zealots. I hope to God you aren't one: you and some atheist here seem like it.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 10:05pm On Sep 16, 2014
UyiIredia: The same applies to atheism and atheist zealots. I hope to God you aren't one: you and some atheist here seem like it.

You must be a special kind of silly to talk about atheist zealots on this thread.

So, you went out of your way to ignore the christian bullying in the airforce to talk about extremist atheists.

You and Ubenedictus have serious mental problems

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by UyiIredia(m): 10:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
logicboy01:

You must be a special kind of silly to talk about atheist zealots on this thread.

So, you went out of your way to ignore the christian bullying in the airforce to talk about extremist atheists.

You and Ubenedictus have serious mental problems
buthurt!
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 10:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
UyiIredia: buthurt!

Dont lie...you dey smoke igbo.....talk true?
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by UyiIredia(m): 10:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
logicboy01:

Dont lie...you dey smoke igbo.....talk true?
I will never smoke weed in my life.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 10:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
UyiIredia: I will never smoke weed in my life AGAIN

grin grin grin
Corrected

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by UyiIredia(m): 11:00pm On Sep 16, 2014
logicboy01:

grin grin grin
Corrected
damn! I shouldn't have opened that thread. I have never taken weed and I hardly drink.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Ubenedictus(m): 11:08pm On Sep 16, 2014
logicboy01:

U.S constitution supports a secular country. God is not neccessary
it supports a secular country didn't prevent it from mentioning God a few time...
If atheist can live under a constitution that acknowledges God then i have a feeling the issue of oath it just political correctedness.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Ubenedictus(m): 11:08pm On Sep 16, 2014
logicboy01:

Lmao...go and sleep
not feeling sleepy.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 11:20pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ubenedictus: it supports a secular country didn't prevent it from mentioning God a few time...
If atheist can live under a constitution that acknowledges God then i have a feeling the issue of oath it just political correctedness.

Like I earlier said, you are christian bigot wink
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by emmatok(m): 11:29pm On Sep 16, 2014
EnlightenedSoul:

Those "personal sentiments" are valid. They infringe on his rights. This is a man who has served happily under the old pledge. His patriotism isn't in question here.

Let's agree to disagree..

We are talking about the MILITARY here, personal sentiments are not allowed.
You obey first before appeals.
As I said, if he doesn't like the rule he either get out of the Military or pressure legislators to change it.

Even lawyers have rules that override their sentiments.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 11:48pm On Sep 16, 2014
emmatok:

We are talking about the MILITARY here, personal sentiments are not allowed.
You obey first before appeals.
As I said, if he doesn't like the rule he either get out of the Military or pressure legislators to change it.

Even lawyers have rules that override their sentiments.

Constitutional rights arent sentiments undecided

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Ubenedictus(m): 12:16am On Sep 17, 2014
logicboy01:

Like I earlier said, you are christian bigot wink
i see you are back to your favourite past time: name calling.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by LordRahl001: 12:41am On Sep 17, 2014
cold:
Yeah..also consider the hurricanes,the floods,the earthquakes,the conflagration,the tsunamis killing in their hundreds of thousands. Surely there must be a god behind all these.
Also consider the millions afflicted and dying of cancer,consider all the babies born today with congenital disorders,consider the thousands dying of the ebola virus,consider the millions of children that will go to bed hungry tonight and the million others that would die of starvation. Surely there's an awesome god behind all these.
Please also take into cognisance all the killings,bloodletting,decapitations,wars etc all in the name of some god or who has the more superior god. Surely a most high god must be somewhere pulling the strings and enjoying himself. No?
In conclusion,your god is no better than the other 5000+ gods out there. Only good enough for the rubbish heap. Nuff said!
xo u r blaming God for d evil mankind has brought upon itself right? Was it God that asked hitler to start world war 2 dat caused d holocaust? So if I realize u need a cutlass to say trim d grasses surrounding ur house and u decide to kill ur neighbour wit it, so u blame me for giving u d cutlass right? Was it God that asked d US to drop atomic bombs on japan? When they knw it can b used for much more peaceful purposes!! Was it God that asked ojukwu to secede from nigeria hence causing d civil war that starved many biafran children!! As much as I dnt wanna get dragged into this, I muxt tell u that u can't blame God for the woes man has brought upon himself!! We av a loving God that's ready to mend everything but He can't force it on us, He has given us a choice and u can't blame him for that too!! Now that the ball is in ur court, let's c how u'll serve it!!!
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by LordRahl001: 12:52am On Sep 17, 2014
makahlj2: Big deal. I'm an atheist and have no problem swearing to God, Yahweh, Elohim, Allah, Jesus, Jupiter, Zeus or everyone else. It's just that such an oath would be of no value for me and I wouldn't consider it binding at all. So, it would be not my problem but of the folks who would expect loyalty from me.
now this is a reason to be worried!!!
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by AdamuUcheOla: 8:02am On Sep 18, 2014
Airmen No Longer Required to Say ‘So Help Me God’ During Oath

http://time.com/3394862/air-force-god-oath/

Sensible conclusion to a stupid debate! We would get there one day; might take a long time but we will.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 8:08am On Sep 18, 2014
AdamuUcheOla:
Airmen No Longer Required to Say ‘So Help Me God’ During Oath

http://time.com/3394862/air-force-god-oath/

Sensible conclusion to a stupid debate! We would get there one day; might take a long time but we will.

The decision has been reversed!!

Atheist winner!!

Wiinner....winner oooooo winner

Atheists we don win oooo winner

pata pata win go win forever

winner.

#f4ckChristianBigots
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by kevoh(m): 10:31am On Sep 18, 2014
logicboy01:

The decision has been reversed!!

Atheist winner!!

Wiinner....winner oooooo winner

Atheists we don win oooo winner

pata pata win go win forever

winner.

Lol...This logicboy sef! tongue . I knew the decision will be reversed, it was just a matter of time. Americans are not Nigerians. They will never allow religion to blind their judgements and decisions especially the ones that will move the USA forward.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Habit Of Remembering Sex Scene While Praying / When They Tell You That Konji Can Kill You / Father Mbaka Storms London For A Crusade(photos,video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.