Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:57 AM

Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force (32227 Views)

See What This Dude Is Giving To God / Dr. Sign Fireman: Man Of God Or Man Of Money? (Video Documentary) / Who Really Rules The World, Jehovah God or Satan?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by NoContract(m): 2:28pm On Sep 14, 2014
zicky: Yea because you did not include my state of origin, school attended, next of kin and fathers name in the form you ask me to fill.

Nice one. grin

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 2:28pm On Sep 14, 2014
Orikinla: America is God's own country.
And not an atheists country.
The atheist should accept God or look for an atheists air force to join.

I am a christian and a believer in God. However, did God tell you that America is his country?

Is it stated in the bible?

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Orikinla(m): 2:40pm On Sep 14, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

I am a christian and a believer in God. However, did God tell you that America is his country?

slowpoke, you don't know your Holy Bible.

Where is America?
Is it not on earth?

[size=18pt]Psalm 24
Of David. A psalm.

1 The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it;
2 for he founded it on the seas
and established it on the waters.

3 Who may ascend the mountain of the Lord?
Who may stand in his holy place?
4 The one who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not trust in an idol
or swear by a false god.[a]

5 They will receive blessing from the Lord
and vindication from God their Savior.
6 Such is the generation of those who seek him,
who seek your face, God of Jacob.[b][c]

7 Lift up your heads, you gates;
be lifted up, you ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.
8 Who is this King of glory?
The Lord strong and mighty,
the Lord mighty in battle.
9 Lift up your heads, you gates;
lift them up, you ancient doors,
10 Who is he, this King of glory?
The Lord Almighty—
he is the King of glory.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by lyonck5: 2:42pm On Sep 14, 2014
Its easy to open our mouths and deny the existence of God but my simple argument is this, what does your conscience say? I can deny gravity simply cos i don't see it, but my acceptance or denial does not remove the fundamental existence of gravity. and as soon as I jump of a building Gravity simply gets to work, whether i accept or reject its existence. Simply put we can not deny Gods existence.

To all my atheist brothers and sisters, consider the sunshine on earth, and you will find that surprisingly without it, there will be no life on earth, consider the need for water consider the harmonic existence between sunshine, rainfall, plant growth, oxygen and carbon dioxide and humans and animals, you will find that you do not need science to tell you that there is a creator.

Consider the inner workings of the human body e.g the way the heart pumps blood and deliver oxygen to all organs, the brain and how it transmits information to the muscles of the body, the skeletal frame work and how it provides support and protection for vital organs, the respiratory organs, the reproduction organs, the excretory organs and how these organs work in harmony for years, surely there must be a God and these things shows His greatness.

If after we have considered these and still insist that there is no God well....................................

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by lyonck5: 2:45pm On Sep 14, 2014
AllNaijaBlogger:

Please Examine your belief again.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by wiegraf: 2:56pm On Sep 14, 2014
RayMcBlue:

Wasn't I explicit enough?

Let me tell you a story, then.

-A law with a religious undertone was passed down to a secular community, most of whom are christians.
-The christians among them accepted the law readily enough.
-Some of the citizens with atheistic background shrugged it off since it doesn't really affect their daily lives.
-A tiny minority of the atheistic populace disagree and decided to sue the government.
-What is the law?
-The law simply enforces one to say "God bless America" after every speech or prayer as the case may be.
-A law that was formed to instill and propagate patriotism among the citizenry.
-A law that was universally accepted, save for that certain tiny minority that are of the perception that the law threatens their constitutional human right.
-A tiny minority so selfish that they want the law abolished in order to suit their personal ideology.

Sounds familiar? Now put atheism in "law's" shoes, then put religion in "tiny minority's" shoes. We would have a scenerio whereby atheism is trying it's utmost best to survive and religion on it's part playing it's bìtchy role to a tee.

Hypocrisy 101.

where to even begin...

if the vow is as meaningless as you imply, then surely it shouldn't matter if I choose to invoke pikiwokis name, no? better yet, I get them good xtians to vow using pikiwokis name, no?

doctors, lawyers, school children, legally binding documents, etc all should use his noodliness.

this is a policy they even got rid off, the only reason I see them using to revert to relative barbarism is that great scourge: Islam. why should the rest of us suffer because Muslims refuse to grow up?

and I would think claiming you're a multicultural society whilst shoving your gods down peoples throat readily qualifies as hipocrisy. is that the 'hipocrisy' you speak of, as I really can't see your point...

make no mistake about it, I'm proudly hipocritical when it comes to islam, for justifiable reasons from my POV (and I dare say any right thinking person, right in my view obviously, should be worried considering what their culture entails), but this is easily taking it too far

what makes you think only a minority of atheists have a problem with this in the first place? and even if so, that automatically makes said minority wrong??
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by simdam500(m): 3:03pm On Sep 14, 2014
Sitting back and relax...

But am sure God himself that has given us power over choice knew one day choice would come to play and now is the time

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 3:22pm On Sep 14, 2014
Orikinla:

slowpoke, you don't know your Holy Bible.

Where is America?
Is it not on earth?

[size=18pt]Psalm 24
Of David. A psalm.

1 The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it;
2 for he founded it on the seas
and established it on the waters.

3 Who may ascend the mountain of the Lord?
Who may stand in his holy place?
4 The one who has clean hands and a pure heart,
who does not trust in an idol
or swear by a false god.[a]

5 They will receive blessing from the Lord
and vindication from God their Savior.
6 Such is the generation of those who seek him,
who seek your face, God of Jacob.[b][c]

7 Lift up your heads, you gates;
be lifted up, you ancient doors,
8 Who is this King of glory?
The Lord strong and mighty,
the Lord mighty in battle.
9 Lift up your heads, you gates;
lift them up, you ancient doors,
10 Who is he, this King of glory?
The Lord Almighty—
he is the King of glory.[/size]

America didn't exist at the time of the bible.

You said America is God's own country.

You should have said that God owns all countries

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 3:23pm On Sep 14, 2014
lyonck5:

Please Examine your belief again.

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by rhymz(m): 3:39pm On Sep 14, 2014
MrAnony1: I pledge to Nigeria my country,
to be faithful, loyal and honest.
To serve Nigeria will all my strength,
to defend her unity,
and uphold her honour and glory,
so help me God.

Is it proper for a public official upon being sworn into office to reject the Nigerian national pledge and then go on to sue the state for not changing the national pledge for him?

What next?

"Change the national coat of arms because I'm a Jew and eagles are unclean animals. While you're at it I have a problem with supporting a team called super eagles."?

"Change the cross in the England flag because I am a British muslim"?

Where does it stop?

While I can understand the sentiments of the atheist soldier, I believe that standing up for your beliefs is best shown by forfeiting those things that go contrary to it and not by trying to force them to comply specially with your beliefs.

Edit: Oh wait, "atheism is not a belief" Now that's kinda odd isn't it

what a dubious conclusion. The man is not contesting for that part of the oath to be removed, he wants his right to freedom of belief to apply in this case ; he does not believed in God and does not want to mention the phrase so help me God. He has right to say I do not believed it and there fore do not want to say it. It should not come down to say it or quit .....this is very simple, don't deliberately create the wrong impression and confuse people with your bogus analogies, you are a known spin-doctor here.

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by rhymz(m): 3:45pm On Sep 14, 2014
Abraham2013: Whoever dat does not hav a problem wit saying "God bless america" or "in God we trust" should not hav an issue wit saying "so help me God"
some of you can misconstrue issues and still comment as if you understand what it is about.
It is one thing to say scrap it, it is another thing to say make it optional for those that have a contrary view. spot the difference and stop messing up the issues with out of nowhere arguments.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by rhymz(m): 3:55pm On Sep 14, 2014
SeaGold: This shouldn't have come up for debate or become a controversial issue. The law states that an oath of allegiance must be entertained before enlisting and it doesn't matter how the "oath" is detailed since it has been accepted and documented as a legal framework. Human works and laws are consciously the works of our imagination and when such becomes tenable, we must upheld it as a guiding principle.

The airman is not force to become a Christian nor renounce his convictions towards being an atheist but is being compelled to take a fundamental ceremony that will complete his enrolment into the airforce. Saying May God help me has no Christian colour-ation as the word "God" is an English word for whatever supreme deity one believe in. The paranoid state of the air man is arguably an unforgivably state of moral bankruptcy and irresponsibly under social etiquette. Man is govern by laid down rules and regulations and we must religiously follow them to attain some level of society responsibility not being repulsive because of some clandestine ideological pattern.

People should learn to obey rules and common laws that guides certain initiation into organisations instead of being rebellious thus challenging law down principles of responsibility. Airman is encouraged to take an oath of allegiance Not to transform into a believing Christian.

In Christiandom, we are encouraged not to use the word of God in vain enterprise nor swore by it thus to ascribe this unholy ceremony to Christianity is unwise and a hypocritical blunder of magnanimous proportion to undermine the Christian faith and its doctrine. People should be guided accordingly.
Your argument is very childish and bias. Will you accept as part of an entry process into a government job an oath that makes you plead allegiance to one of the many Masonic or Hellenistic religious orders? Even though your are a strong believer in your Christian faith? This is why I always argue that human being basically have ignorant biases that always show when somebody different or with a differing belief system that is not popular makes an attempt to express them. You are being hypocritical.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by herald9: 4:36pm On Sep 14, 2014
NoContract:

Typical Nigerian.

Go back to school!
Ok...
Go ahead and loose your job
Your Atheist brothers will feed you and your family...

What I implied was...
I will simply accept their condition just for the work...
Ofcourse They won't force me into their church...
That would've been a clear infringement of my rights.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by mstik(f): 4:40pm On Sep 14, 2014
shocked shocked
herald9:
Ok...
Go ahead and loose your job
Your Atheist brothers will feed you and your family...

What I implied was...
I will simply accept their condition just for the work...
Ofcourse They won't force me into their church...
That would've been a clear infringement of my rights.

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by cold(m): 4:41pm On Sep 14, 2014
lyonck5: Its easy to open our mouths and deny the existence of God but my simple argument is this, what does your conscience say? I can deny gravity simply cos i don't see it, but my acceptance or denial does not remove the fundamental existence of gravity. and as soon as I jump of a building Gravity simply gets to work, whether i accept or reject its existence. Simply put we can not deny Gods existence.

To all my atheist brothers and sisters, consider the sunshine on earth, and you will find that surprisingly without it, there will be no life on earth, consider the need for water consider the harmonic existence between sunshine, rainfall, plant growth, oxygen and carbon dioxide and humans and animals, you will find that you do not need science to tell you that there is a creator.

Consider the inner workings of the human body e.g the way the heart pumps blood and deliver oxygen to all organs, the brain and how it transmits information to the muscles of the body, the skeletal frame work and how it provides support and protection for vital organs, the respiratory organs, the reproduction organs, the excretory organs and how these organs work in harmony for years, surely there must be a God and these things shows His greatness.

If after we have considered these and still insist that there is no God well....................................
Yeah..also consider the hurricanes,the floods,the earthquakes,the conflagration,the tsunamis killing in their hundreds of thousands. Surely there must be a god behind all these.
Also consider the millions afflicted and dying of cancer,consider all the babies born today with congenital disorders,consider the thousands dying of the ebola virus,consider the millions of children that will go to bed hungry tonight and the million others that would die of starvation. Surely there's an awesome god behind all these.
Please also take into cognisance all the killings,bloodletting,decapitations,wars etc all in the name of some god or who has the more superior god. Surely a most high god must be somewhere pulling the strings and enjoying himself. No?
In conclusion,your god is no better than the other 5000+ gods out there. Only good enough for the rubbish heap. Nuff said!

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by swezenberg(m): 4:57pm On Sep 14, 2014
FrancisTony:

All these religious fanatics and christian bigots.

I am a Christian and Last time I checked, no where is it stated in the bible that we should bully those who don't share our faith.

With this your comment, no wonder boko haram is killing christians in the north and Allah is blessing them. undecided undecided

You are far from being a Christian. A Christian does not spew the kind of thrash you just spewed out. You are either an Islamic or a boko haram sympathizer who wants that phrase ' so help me God or in God we trust to be removed from the anthem. America was founded on Christian doctrines and principles but they have erred. They have left their God and allowed many foreign practise and gods in their land. The time of God's anger is coming just like His anger has come upon Nigeria. Nigeria should prepare for worse in the years to come. Unless a Nation return in repentance to God it will know no peace.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by herald9: 5:00pm On Sep 14, 2014
mstik: shocked shocked
did I say anything wrong?
I stand to be corrected.

smiley
What do you think?
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 5:03pm On Sep 14, 2014
swezenberg:

You are far from being a Christian. A Christian does not spew the kind of thrash you just spewed out. You are either an Islamic or a boko haram sympathizer who wants that phrase ' so help me God or in God we trust to be removed from the anthem. America was founded on Christian doctrines and principles but they have erred. They have left their God and allowed many foreign practise and gods in their land. The time of God's anger is coming just like His anger is coming upon Nigeria.

Are you okay?

So you are saying that it is God sending Ebola to Nigeria? See craze!!!! lipsrsealed

Also, if you took time to read the story, you would have found out that no one is trying to remove "so help me God". The argument from the atheist is that it should not be compulsory.

Lastly, America was never founded as a christian country. Many of the founders were deists and some even slave owners. The treaty of tripoli even puts America as a secular country.

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by swezenberg(m): 5:04pm On Sep 14, 2014
cold:
Yeah..also consider the hurricanes,the floods,the earthquakes,the conflagration,the tsunamis killing in their hundreds of thousands. Surely there must be a god behind all these.
Also consider the millions afflicted and dying of cancer,consider all the babies born today with congenital disorders,consider the thousands dying of the ebola virus,consider the millions of children that will go to bed hungry tonight and the million others that would die of starvation. Surely there's an awesome god behind all these.
Please also take into cognisance all the killings,bloodletting,decapitations,wars etc all in the name of some god or who has the more superior god. Surely a most high god must be somewhere pulling the strings and enjoying himself. No?
In conclusion,your god is no better than the other 5000+ gods out there. Only good enough for the rubbish heap. Nuff said!

So tell me what you think is responsible for all these.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by mstik(f): 5:06pm On Sep 14, 2014
naa
just surprised to see you undecided
herald9:
did I say anything wrong?
I stand to be corrected.

smiley
What do you think?
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by swezenberg(m): 5:11pm On Sep 14, 2014
logicboy01:

Are you okay?

So you are saying that it is God sending Ebola to Nigeria? See craze!!!! lipsrsealed

Also, if you took time to read the story, you would have found out that no one is trying to remove "so help me God". The argument from the atheist is that it should not be compulsory.

Lastly, America was never founded as a christian country. Many of the founders were deists and some even slave owners. The treaty of tripoli even puts America as a secular country.

You need to go and read more about past American leaders. Their formost presidents and how they gave so much to prayers before going to wars. You think so help me God and those phrases just came into their anthem yesterday. Or you think America's friendship with Israel started yesterday. As for Nigeria, you may not understand the happenings already expected of such nations who have given in to shedding of innocent blood in the name of politics and money. So the Nigeria you knew 30 years ago is the Nigeria you have now. Even if you don't believe in God the signs are there and no other book had so much predicted the happening at these times like the Holy Bible.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by RayMcBlue(m): 5:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
wiegraf:

where to even begin...

if the vow is as meaningless as you imply, then surely it shouldn't matter if I choose to invoke pikiwokis name, no? better yet, I get them good xtians to vow using pikiwokis name, no?

doctors, lawyers, school children, legally binding documents, etc all should use his noodliness.

this is a policy they even got rid off, the only reason I see them using to revert to relative barbarism is that great scourge: Islam. why should the rest of us suffer because Muslims refuse to grow up?

and I would think claiming you're a multicultural society whilst shoving your gods down peoples throat readily qualifies as hipocrisy. is that the 'hipocrisy' you speak of, as I really can't see your point...

make no mistake about it, I'm proudly hipocritical when it comes to islam, for justifiable reasons from my POV (and I dare say any right thinking person, right in my view obviously, should be worried considering what their culture entails), but this is easily taking it too far

what makes you think only a minority of atheists have a problem with this in the first place? and even if so, that automatically makes said minority wrong??

-You were at a train station and the train was running late.
-A very attractive woman was sitting beside you reading a religious magazine.
-You struck up a conversation with her.
-But somehow, she cleverly maneuvered the conversation into a sermon.
-You tried to tell her that you don't believe in God, but she persisted.
-You know her sermons to you were efforts in futility, so you humoured her and pretended to listen, maybe in the interest of peace, or maybe you were just being polite.
-The train finally arrived,
-Here's your chance! You swiftly disappeared through it's doors without so much as a "Goodbye." The end.

That's a fine analogy on how to handle a delicate situation without relegating to a bìtchy persona.

@the bold, a lot of people don't know this, but American version of Democracy has a religious past. America’s Founding Fathers believed that Liberty, freedom and religion were inseparable. True story.

Majority of atheist like myself know and accept this, since - apart from a few public religious recitations here and there, many of which are getting amended as we speak - secularism promotes liberty and freedom.

Quit playing the victim cards already. Atheists are not victims and can never be. I'm an atheist living in a secular community and I don't feel threatened. If I don't feel threatened, then why should you?

...Unless, you live in Iraq. grin

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Missy89(f): 5:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
SHAME on USAF angry

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by swezenberg(m): 5:30pm On Sep 14, 2014
Missy89: SHAME on USAF angry

Dear Missy. Why did you say shame on USAF. It has always been there no one military man can come and change it.

It is just like a Nigerian Soldier saying he will never say 'so help me God' Then let him find a country who does not believe in such to pay his allegiance.
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by okzcorp: 5:31pm On Sep 14, 2014
FrancisTony:

Bill Gate is an atheist not deist.

His Wife and Children are Theist(christians).

He is AGNOSTIC
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by herald9: 5:38pm On Sep 14, 2014
mstik: naa
just surprised to see you undecided
yhu ehn?

you have been seeing me everytime yet your still surprise each time you see me...

Maybe seeing me here is not enough...
We can see elsewherewink
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 5:47pm On Sep 14, 2014
swezenberg:

You need to go and read more about past American leaders. Their formost presidents and how they gave so much to prayers before going to wars. You think so help me God and those phrases just came into their anthem yesterday. Or you think America's friendship with Israel started yesterday. As for Nigeria, you may not understand the happenings already expected of such nations who have given in to shedding of innocent blood in the name of politics and money. So the Nigeria you knew 30 years ago is the Nigeria you have now. Even if you don't believe in God the signs are there and no other book had so much predicted the happening at these times like the Holy Bible.

Nigga, go and read. You are highly ignorant.

First read about the treaty of tripoli
Then read about christianity and slavery
Then read about the founding fathers of America

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 5:47pm On Sep 14, 2014
okzcorp:

He is AGNOSTIC

Agnostic is an atheist....they both do not believe in God cheesy
Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Uteghe(m): 5:57pm On Sep 14, 2014
How can he remain an unbeliever in the 21st Century? This guy lacks orientation and schooling on the core values of the American Armed Forces. The Dollar the dude carries has inscribed on it; ''In God We Trust'',why has he not stopped using it in protest? The US Air Force is built on Faith in Almighty God.That's why they are potent, and presently the most proficient. If that guy wouldn't abide by the rules,he should go start his own Air Force.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 14, 2014
swezenberg:

[s]You are far from being a Christian. A Christian does not spew the kind of thrash you just spewed out. You are either an Islamic or a boko haram sympathizer who wants that phrase ' so help me God or in God we trust to be removed from the anthem. America was founded on Christian doctrines and principles but they have erred. They have left their God and allowed many foreign practise and gods in their land. The time of God's anger is coming just like His anger has come upon Nigeria. Nigeria should prepare for worse in the years to come. Unless a Nation return in repentance to God it will know no peace.[/s]

God and read your history or maybe bible might help you.

No country in the world was founded on any Christian doctrine except Isreal(not really Christian but Jewish doctrine i.e Old testament undecided)

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Must Swear To God -- Or Leave US Air Force by logicboy01: 6:00pm On Sep 14, 2014
Uteghe: How can he remain an unbeliever in the 21st Century? This guy lacks orientation and schooling on the core values of the American Armed Forces. The Dollar the dude carries has inscribed on it; ''In God We Trust'',why has he not stopped using it in protest? The US Air Force is built on Faith in Almighty God-that's why they are potent are presently the most proficient. If that guy wouldn't abide by the rules,he should go start his own Air Force.

The orignial american dollar bills didnt have "In God we trust". It was later put there

Funny how ignorant many christians are.

Please, go and read about freedom from religion in the US constitution. Dont be ignorant

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

RCCG Church Abuja Attacked, Looted And Burnt By Suspected Extremists (Photo) / A Christian Group Feeds Muslim Beggars On Sallah Day (Photos) / Bishop Oyedepo Asks Buhari To Resign, Get Out Of Office Over Herdsmen Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.