Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,767 members, 7,824,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. (55093 Views)

5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. / Some English Words You Prolly Never Come Across Or Heard Off But Are Hardly Used (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by xeunskate(m): 8:49am On Sep 12, 2014
Free e-Book on how to make extra CASH on FACEBOOK!!!!
http:///jF0gvb
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by cococandy(f): 8:52am On Sep 12, 2014
Agbada is gotten from the English word haberdashery.
Not the other way round
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by experimentist: 8:55am On Sep 12, 2014
Pics or...
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by dinggle: 8:56am On Sep 12, 2014
What of DiaRisGodOoo credit to PEJ.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by youngguru23(m): 9:09am On Sep 12, 2014
Waec Gce Biology Obj & Theory 2014/2015 | Myshoolsinfo - http://myschoolsinfo.com/forum2_theme_111395442.xhtml?tema=8
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by graciousolo(m): 9:16am On Sep 12, 2014
lepasharon: Juju is a French word
The op was absolutely right with Juju. It's also defined as a goodluck charm and the yoruba music. Infact if u use encantra software on ur pc you would see and hear Sunny Ade's song.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by graciousolo(m): 9:19am On Sep 12, 2014
And 'Ebora' is from me. Meaning bleached skinned folks.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by gbaskiboy: 9:24am On Sep 12, 2014
reincarnation: Udeme also....from guiness advert. Outside Nigeria they call small stout Udeme
OMG! Cracking my ribs with laughter
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by wilffy: 9:26am On Sep 12, 2014
Not so convincing!

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Jahskid: 9:27am On Sep 12, 2014
Jeesu
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ZACHIE: 9:38am On Sep 12, 2014
vivienbabe:
Looking forward to see how you will spin the truth because Okra or Okwuru is etymologically exclusive to the Igbo in origin and it's not disputable. All dictionaries around the word give the credit to Igbo. Tango may be true of Ibibio. Until now Juju is what i thought was of Yoruba origin.

ISUSU is strictly the Igbo ancient banking style brought to the Americas by Igbo slaves and renamed SUSU, undisputable.

tango (n.) Look up tango at Dictionary.com
syncopated ballroom dance, 1913 (the year it became a rage in Britain and America), from Argentine Spanish tango, originally the name of an African-American drum dance, probably from a Niger-Congo language (compare Ibibio tamgu "to dance"wink. Phrase it takes two to tango was a song title from 1952. As a verb from 1913. Related: Tangoed.
It is hardly a year ago since the Tango reached this country from South America by way of Paris. It was at first no more than a music-hall freak. But some of those mysterious people who inspire new social fashions were attracted by its sinuous movements and the strange backward kick, and this year it made its way into private houses as well as public ball rooms. [The Living Age, Dec. 13, 1913]

juju (n.1) Look up juju at Dictionary.com
object of religious veneration among West Africans, 1860, supposedly ultimately from French joujou "toy, plaything."

obeah (n.) Look up obeah at Dictionary.com
"sorcery, witchcraft" among blacks in Africa and the W.Indies, 1760, from a West African word, such as Efik (southern Nigeria) ubio "a thing or mixture left as a charm to cause sickness or death," Twi ebayifo "witch, wizard, sorcerer."

okra (n.) Look up okra at Dictionary.com
1670s, from a West African language (compare Akan nkruma "okra"wink.

The orgin of these words is WestAfrican and not necessarily Nigerian. We should not mix it.
I am a Nigerian Scrabble Grandmaster, i study words. I know those of Niegrian origin and those of wider origins. Newer additions to CSW12 (Collins Scrabble Words 2012) came with Nigerian sourced words and those are acceptable by me. But, old word of doubtful and wisespread origin should not be counterfeited as Nigerian.

That is the point i am making.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by reincarnation: 9:52am On Sep 12, 2014
Nobleval: Is that so?
You dont know grin
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by MrHighSea: 10:03am On Sep 12, 2014
Mba-ka-ra IS NOT master, rather, WHITE MAN. Efik akedi mbakara. Sio ubok keyong, AKWA-CROSS sio mkpo…

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by omoadeleye(m): 10:05am On Sep 12, 2014
but wat abt "sekere" ?
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ZACHIE: 10:08am On Sep 12, 2014
neoapocalypse:

Dashiki is Hausa not Yoruba

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dashiki

da·shi·ki noun \də-ˈshē-kē, dä-, da-\ VARIANT SPELLINGS: daishiki dasheki dashiki

Definition of DASHIKI

: a usually brightly colored loose-fitting pullover garment
See dashiki defined for kids »
Variants of DASHIKI

da·shi·ki also dai·shi·ki
Illustration of DASHIKI

Origin of DASHIKI

modification of Yoruba dàńṣíkí
First Known Use: circa 1968

2 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by hensben(m): 10:18am On Sep 12, 2014
op this is fraud, its pronounce same way doesnt mean they originates from nigeria...ok with your logic, do we now say liberia and algeria originates from nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by smudge2079(m): 10:22am On Sep 12, 2014
noted... next!
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by EmeraldB18(f): 10:28am On Sep 12, 2014
Pls hw do i folow a story 2 d end in d literature section am new on nairaland
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Chigold101(m): 10:32am On Sep 12, 2014
priscaoge: Yam n Okra?
i dont believe makurdi story cos makurdians are not hausas they are idomas so they wont be using mai-kudi to talk of a rich man in the 1700s.
I also dont buy the yam thing coming from fulani cos fulanis are not yan fermers. They are cattle rearers.
As for okro, i can believe that cos igbos call it okwuro and call pawpaw okwuro bekee or okwuro oyibo.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 12, 2014
c'est tout?
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by markize(m): 10:38am On Sep 12, 2014
iceberylin: Calm down , leme Call Britain and confarm this wink

na so so call u dey make.... U no get somtin more meaniful to comment...lol
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by marley145: 10:39am On Sep 12, 2014
rattlesnake: What of

Bran tashi.....Abi Na buran tashi
hahahahahahaha
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ProfGday(m): 10:41am On Sep 12, 2014
Yoruba-Dameji(break into two)
English-Damages

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by deife(m): 10:46am On Sep 12, 2014
check this out:

"didirin" in Yoruba means a slowpoke or a slowcoach. Guess what! Something similar exists in the English lexicon. It's the word "dithering".

Usage: Stop dithering; be smart. cheesy
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Mavrick2012: 10:54am On Sep 12, 2014
rattlesnake: What of

Bran tashi.....Abi Na buran tashi
bad boi.
allah,kei kapiri ne.
ka rasa abun da zaka ce sai "bura"?
LOL
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by mikeljims(m): 10:56am On Sep 12, 2014
What of the word "Ebola"

smiley smiley smiley
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Bezed(m): 10:58am On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE: This is misinforming.
The etymologies of the specific words you listed up there are not exclusive, rather borderline assumptions.
Okra,Juju,Tango,etc have much wider spread and use than Nugeria.
The only genuine addition to English language in that list is a Yoruba word: DASHIKI which describes a traditional clothing item.
There are indeed several other words absolved into English emanating from Nigeria b7t certainly not the ones captured by the op in that they are not exclusive.
SUSU is exclusive in area catchment, meaning and application.
I will update this later.

you are the one missinforming your self and others who are busy liking your comment without proper verification, you think the o.p just stood up and started assuming... any way, for that of okra; The word okra is of Nigerian origin and is cognate with ọkwurụ in the Igbo language spoken in Nigeria.[2]Okra is often known as "lady's fingers" outside of Africa.source(Wikipedia.com)

for juju, juju noun1.an object venerated superstitiously and used as a fetish or amulet by tribal peoples of West Africa.
2.the magical power attributed to such an object.
3.a ban or interdiction effected by it.OriginHausa1890-1895 source(dictionary.com)
Your dashiki is also correct it has a Yoruba origin, but please don't write off ppls opinion unless you are very sure.

2 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ZACHIE: 11:12am On Sep 12, 2014
Bezed: you are the one missinforming your self and others who are busy liking your comment without proper verification, you think the o.p just stood up and started assuming... any way, for that of okra; The word okra is of Nigerian origin and is cognate with ọkwurụ in the Igbo language spoken in Nigeria.[2]Okra is often known as "lady's fingers" outside of Africa.source(Wikipedia.com)

for juju, juju noun1.an object venerated superstitiously and used as a fetish or amulet by tribal peoples of West Africa.
2.the magical power attributed to such an object.
3.a ban or interdiction effected by it.OriginHausa1890-1895 source(dictionary.com)
Your dashiki is also correct it has a Yoruba origin, but please don't write off ppls opinion unless you are very sure.

okra (n.) Look up okra at Dictionary.com
1670s, from a West African language (compare Akan nkruma "okra"wink.

You need to look closely at my update. I said the words have larger etymologies than Nigeria alone. The ones specific to I accept and OKRA is certainly one of those; certainly not TANGO, JUJU, YAM. Nigeria is not a synonym for West Africa

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by rattlesnake(m): 11:15am On Sep 12, 2014
Mavrick2012: bad boi.
allah,kei kapiri ne.
ka rasa abun da zaka ce sai "bura"?
LOL
grin
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by troy20(m): 11:52am On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE: This is misinforming.
The etymologies of the specific words you listed up there are not exclusive, rather borderline assumptions.
Okra,Juju,Tango,etc have much wider spread and use than Nigeria.
The only genuine addition to English language in that list is a Yoruba word: DASHIKI which describes a traditional clothing item.
There are indeed several other words absorbed into English emanating from Nigeria but certainly not the ones captured by the op in that they are not exclusive.
SUSU is exclusive in area catchment, meaning and application.
I will update this later.

well DASHIKI is d0ggystyle in swhahili.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Jarus(m): 11:52am On Sep 12, 2014
The origin of the word Kudeti, an area in Ibadan, is "too dirty", how a whiteman described the place when he visited.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UNILAG Prof. Daramola Flogging Student Who Came Late To His Class Yesterday / Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today / Angry Zambian Father Slaps His Son Over Poor Result After Paying $21k As Tuition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.