Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,451 members, 7,958,355 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 01:01 PM

Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. (55526 Views)

5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. / Some English Words You Prolly Never Come Across Or Heard Off But Are Hardly Used (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Drabrah(m): 9:58pm On Sep 12, 2014
adextetoo: What of IMMUNITY by wole soyinka
is it immunity or 'fidity'. Dunno d Eng meaning, tho
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by otipoju(m): 10:07pm On Sep 12, 2014
Awoofawo:

Come let me nack you juju so you can properly differential between jou-jou (the play thing) and juju the real thing cool grin

we are refering to the etymology of the word juju.. In yoruba land the word for "jazz" is Oogun ..it is the french that referred to it as jou-jou.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ZACHIE: 10:14pm On Sep 12, 2014
IMMUNITY by Wole Soyinka. ..

Poetic license gives you the liberty to coin words,
Manufacture them and give them new meanings.
But in the real world, it is the CRITICAL MASS of such inventions that can move a change in lexicon.

The Dictionary Committee is nor moved by names rather by widespread acceptance and impact.
IROKO is an English word today through Literature.
Same as obeche.
Yes ORIXA is an English word today through Literature.
The same logic applies to JEEP being an English word and not a trademark. ..not anymore
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 10:59pm On Sep 12, 2014
Want to lease or buy landed properties in Enugu? Looking 4 accomodation in Enugu? Cotact Mbaeze unique services on 08030888125,08089725197 or mbaezeo@gmail.com for genuine services.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 11:11pm On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE: IMMUNITY by Wole Soyinka. ..

Poetic license gives you the liberty to coin words,
Manufacture them and give them new meanings.
But in the real world, it is the CRITICAL MASS of such inventions that can move a change in lexicon.

The Dictionary Committee is nor moved by names rather by widespread acceptance and impact.
IROKO is an English word today through Literature.
Same as obeche.
Yes ORIXA is an English word today through Literature.
The same logic applies to JEEP being an English word and not a trademark. ..not anymore
I do not understand why you are invoking the name of Wole Soyinka or how it is relevant to what you have or don't have to say
I do not understand what "poetic licence" has to to with what you have or don't have to say
Iroko is Not an English word "through literature" Iroko refers to a tree that was unknown to English the same is true for Obeche.
Orixa or Orisha refers to a phenomena for which there is no existing English word and so it was "borrowed" into the language. Sometimes it is better to be silent than to .............
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Samfigo1(m): 11:34pm On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE: This is misinforming.
The etymologies of the specific words you listed up there are not exclusive, rather borderline assumptions.
Okra,Juju,Tango,etc have much wider spread and use than Nigeria.
The only genuine addition to English language in that list is a Yoruba word: DASHIKI which describes a traditional clothing item.
There are indeed several other words absorbed into English emanating from Nigeria but certainly not the ones captured by the op in that they are not exclusive.
SUSU is exclusive in area catchment, meaning and application.
I will update this later.

Have you heard of Agbada before? Check your dico to knw better
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ZACHIE: 11:40pm On Sep 12, 2014
[b][/b]
Samfigo1: Have you heard of Agbada before? Check your dico to knw better
Your word is Non English.
It's not been absorbed into any English lexicon
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ZACHIE: 11:46pm On Sep 12, 2014
iwonbaoko:
I do not understand why you are invoking the name of Wole Soyinka or how it is relevant to what you have or don't have to say
I do not understand what "poetic licence" has to to with what you have or don't have to say
Iroko is Not an English word "through literature" Iroko refers to a tree that was unknown to English the same is true for Obeche.
Orixa or Orisha refers to a phenomena for which there is no existing English word and so it was "borrowed" into the language. Sometimes it is better to be silent than to .............

Sheer madness didn't lead me into questioning WS.
But, WS himself will not query a jot of what I am saying.
Please, tread softly in a territory that is foreign to you.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE:

Sheer madness didn't lead me into questioning WS.
But, WS himself will not query a jot of what I am saying.
Please, tread softly in a territory that is foreign to you.

My point is Wole Soyinka is not relevant here so you invoking his name has no meaning you might as well bring in the name names of Mandela, Mike Tyson or Serena Williams. There is no connection between the subject and Wole Soyinka. So using his name to give credence to your offering is perplexing. A ridiculous exercise in vainglory
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ZACHIE: 11:55pm On Sep 12, 2014
iwonbaoko:
My point is Wole Soyinka is not relevant here so you invoking his name has no meaning you might as well bring in the name names of Mandela, Mike Tyson or Serena Williams. There is no connection between the subject and Wole Soyinka. So using his name to give credence to your offering is perplexing. A ridiculous exercise in vainglory

I didn't bring WS into this banal discussion. Some other folks did and I am trying to address that
WS is too far removed from this maddening crowd.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by pinkshell(f): 3:07am On Sep 13, 2014
Calling a whole presid, of the fedral rep of nigeria retardeen? E gud?

firstolalekan:
undecided say what
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by firstolalekan(m): 6:34am On Sep 13, 2014
pinkshell: Calling a whole presid, of the fedral rep of nigeria retardeen? E gud?

maybe, maybe not.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by pinkshell(f): 9:55am On Sep 13, 2014
Then am very right wen I sed 'u no wan get respect'

firstolalekan:
maybe, maybe not.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Samfigo1(m): 10:56am On Sep 13, 2014
ZACHIE: [b][/b]
Your word is Non English.
It's not been absorbed into any English lexicon
You're offpoint! Go and check advance learner's dictionary
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by firstolalekan(m): 11:00am On Sep 13, 2014
pinkshell: Then am very right wen I sed 'u no wan get respect'

I go give u e-knock o undecided
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by pinkshell(f): 12:11pm On Sep 13, 2014
No vex! Odabo

firstolalekan:
I go give u e-knock o undecided
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by firstolalekan(m): 2:14pm On Sep 13, 2014
pinkshell: No vex! Odabo

I dey vex! welcome. grin
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by pinkshell(f): 4:05pm On Sep 13, 2014
E jebure, e ma je moimoi!

firstolalekan:
I dey vex! welcome. grin
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by firstolalekan(m): 7:19pm On Sep 13, 2014
pinkshell: E jebure, e ma je moimoi!

grin
OK my pikin, nothing do you cheesy
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by pinkshell(f): 8:40pm On Sep 13, 2014
Hehehe!
Ese sir, a dele wa dupe.

firstolalekan:
grin
OK my pikin, nothing do you cheesy
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by firstolalekan(m): 12:00am On Sep 14, 2014
pinkshell: Hehehe!
Ese sir, a dele wa dupe.

Now I have my eyes on you as I dey follow follow smiley
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by pinkshell(f): 11:40am On Sep 14, 2014
Lol!
Lemme leave u joor!
firstolalekan:
Now I have my eyes on you as I dey follow follow smiley
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by firstolalekan(m): 11:48am On Sep 14, 2014
pinkshell: Lol!
Lemme leave u joor!
Happy Sunday!
Did you go to church?
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by pinkshell(f): 1:00pm On Sep 14, 2014
Sure I dd. smiley
U?

firstolalekan:
Happy Sunday!
Did you go to church?
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Pearlvictory(m): 9:59am On Sep 15, 2014
emmyrichie:

I really understand your level of comprehension. I bet you didn't see the source from whence I copied it from.

It'd be good for you if you learn how to pass your points across without be hostile.

I'm sure your mind didn't tell you that I am not Efik or from any of the aforementioned tribes up there.

When you grow older, you'd understand.
Now u see what mindless lifting can cause u. Make proper research in2 whatever piece of info u're trying to disseminate. Life is hard, buh it's harder when you're hasty in being stupid. Nad my business sha
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 15, 2014
Pearlvictory:
Now u see what mindless lifting can cause u. Make proper research in2 whatever piece of info u're trying to disseminate. Life is hard, buh it's harder when you're hasty in being stupid. Nad my business sha

I really don't like serial trouble seeking stup1d idi0ts crossing my path. For the record, I didn't mention you in my thread and I don't remember seeking the opinions of low things like you.

Don't cross my path again... Be warned.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Pearlvictory(m): 4:45pm On Sep 15, 2014
emmyrichie:

I really don't like serial trouble seeking stup1d idi0ts crossing my path. For the record, I didn't mention you in my thread and I don't remember seeking the opinions of low things like you.

Don't cross my path again... Be warned.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Emmanuel247(m): 10:59pm On Oct 13, 2014
Who tell you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Top 10 Worst Degrees With Lowest Potential For Employment In Nigeria Today / Marewo Primary School In Gombe State (Pictures) / Effects Of Lamination On Certificate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.