Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. (55080 Views)

5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. / Some English Words You Prolly Never Come Across Or Heard Off But Are Hardly Used (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by dominicson: 12:00pm On Sep 12, 2014
Iroko... Fufu...
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by zonax(m): 12:01pm On Sep 12, 2014
Haba. Bro they are many of them.

Words like genesis which is the first letter of the bible and also an English word for beginning was gotten from the ibo word ge-na-isi-isi (pronounced geenesis) and means go to the beginning.

Ego which translates to pride in English was also gotten from the ibo word ego which means money and that's because those who had money then tend to have this swollen pride.

Ebola= ebo ola in ibo which means get and go (die) i.e, once you contact it, you are gone.

Accuse= aku izu in ibo which means to plan against.
Op they are many of them joor.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by zonax(m): 12:20pm On Sep 12, 2014
mikeljims: What of the word "Ebola"

smiley smiley smiley

Check my post to see how ebola came about
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Zakkyoz: 12:47pm On Sep 12, 2014
BlackPeni5:

Lol...e dey pain you say the OP no mention yoruba...you just had to include it by fire by force cheesy
people with black peni5 don't usually reason rationally.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 12:55pm On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE: This is misinforming.
The etymologies of the specific words you listed up there are not exclusive, rather borderline assumptions.
Okra,Juju,Tango,etc have much wider spread and use than Nigeria.
The only genuine addition to English language in that list is a Yoruba word: DASHIKI which describes a traditional clothing item.
There are indeed several other words absorbed into English emanating from Nigeria but certainly not the ones captured by the op in that they are not exclusive.
SUSU is exclusive in area catchment, meaning and application.
I will update this later.

okro is an Igbo word and food.
browse it
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 12:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
eliment: I didn't see what I was expecting here, I need words without alteration in their spellings and can be found in the dictionary. The few one I know includes:
Akara
Fufu
Agbada
Etc

they are not in English dictionary
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Litmus: 12:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
It is a cop-out when people state that such and such is used throughout West Africa. We need to locate the exact owners of things so it is about time Africans go out and do some research of their own and publish findings instead of waiting for the white man. Until then Okra is a word from some Nigerian tribe not West Africa.

God i hate that West Africa thing....something belongs to a tribe or it does not, lets stop all this happy-dappy none-existent West Africa brotherhood rubbish. For instance, Jellof rice is probably from some tribe in Senegal maybe the wolof people; Peanut soup is from Ghana, it's their invention, the accolade belongs to them, please let's not share it okay ...it aint West African, it's from some tribe in Ghana- give the inventors their due.

2 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by mainman7(m): 1:11pm On Sep 12, 2014
adextetoo: What of IMMUNITY by wole soyinka

Yes from imuniti; something that prevents one from been affected by sickness or danger.
The great Wole Soyinka also invented the words Parastatal and Penkelemesi.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/Soyinka-Wole
www.cafeafricana.com/tributes-wole-soyinka.html
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/usaafricadialogue/J9m2oPtADfo
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Pearlvictory(m): 1:20pm On Sep 12, 2014
emmyrichie:

4.Tango

Tango probably originates from the word ‘tamgu’ means to dance in Ibibio. How the Ibibio’s were able to name an Argentinean dance still baffles everybody at GiftedGreen. The FreeDictionary still gives credit to the language (Ibibio) so who are we to judge?

5.Buckra

Buckra is a word used contemptuously by Black people, especially in the United States to refer a White man. This word is believed to have originated from the Efik word mba-ka-ra which means master. #slavetradethings

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/01/24/6-english-words-with-nigerian-origins/

since when did ''dance'' which is interpreted ''nek'' in Ibibio become ''tamgu''? There's no such word as tamgu in Ibibio language for goodness' sake. You said also ''mbakara'' means ''master'' in Efik and you're applauding yourself that you've made the FP. For the benefit of those who dont understand the meaning of that.. ''mbakara'' means ''white man'' and not master. Master is interpreted ''Ete ufok''. Dont be misled, the end is nigh.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Pearlvictory(m): 1:28pm On Sep 12, 2014
MrHighSea: Mba-ka-ra IS NOT master, rather, WHITE MAN. Efik akedi mbakara. Sio ubok keyong, AKWA-CROSS sio mkpo…

uuuuuooohhh!!! OKOKOBIOKO!!

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Olaone1: 1:29pm On Sep 12, 2014
undecided
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Olaone1: 1:33pm On Sep 12, 2014
mainman7:
Penkelemesi.[/b]

Come off it.

Adegoke Adelabu, my fellow Ibadan man, owns that.

from "peculiar mess" to penkelemesi. Ask Yoruba drummers undecided
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Olaone1: 1:34pm On Sep 12, 2014
"Tango", "bogus" Nigerian words? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dashiki

da·shi·ki noun \də-ˈshē-kē, dä-, da-\ VARIANT SPELLINGS: daishiki dasheki dashiki

Definition of DASHIKI

: a usually brightly colored loose-fitting pullover garment
See dashiki defined for kids »
Variants of DASHIKI

da·shi·ki also dai·shi·ki
Illustration of DASHIKI

Origin of DASHIKI

modification of Yoruba dàńṣíkí
First Known Use: circa 1968

So you quote a western book to to teach you your language smdh for you. If Nigerians are in darkness it is because of people like you who run to the internet/white man to verify your heritage.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Olaone1: 1:37pm On Sep 12, 2014
And, I think "okra" is Ethiopian undecided
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ZACHIE: 1:46pm On Sep 12, 2014
neoapocalypse:

So you quote a western book to to teach you your language smdh for you. If Nigerians are in darkness it is because of people like you who run to the internet/white man to verify your heritage.

na wah o.
wetin DICTIONARY dey for?
I need ingredient for this one o
if we wan confirm something no be dictionary we go go?
Wait, abi una get English dictionary for your native tongue?

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by larrymoore(m): 1:51pm On Sep 12, 2014
'Abiku' is now borrowed, it has it origin in yoruba meaning still birth.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE:

okra (n.) Look up okra at Dictionary.com
1670s, from a West African language (compare Akan nkruma "okra"wink.

U are not making any point when u say okra is not from Igbo okwuru .
Is Igbo not a west African language or is Nigeria not west African?
As usual, the whites replaced Igbo 'kw' with 'k'.
Browse okra or okro first
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 12, 2014
ProfGday: Yoruba-Dameji(break into two)
English-Damages

loooooooooooolz
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 12, 2014
Pearlvictory:

since when did ''dance'' which is interpreted ''nek'' in Ibibio become ''tamgu''? There's no such word as tamgu in Ibibio language for goodness' sake. You said also ''mbakara'' means ''master'' in Efik and you're applauding yourself that you've made the FP. For the benefit of those who dont understand the meaning of that.. ''mbakara'' means ''white man'' and not master. Master is interpreted ''Ete ufok''. Dont be misled, the end is nigh.

I really understand your level of comprehension. I bet you didn't see the source from whence I copied it from.

It'd be good for you if you learn how to pass your points across without be hostile.

I'm sure your mind didn't tell you that I am not Efik or from any of the aforementioned tribes up there.

When you grow older, you'd understand.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Sep 12, 2014
Evergreen123:

they are not in English dictionary
check well all words listed are in the Oxford english dictionary seventh edition
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 12, 2014
Nonsense opinion piece with no sources or citations (your blog does not count)

3 Likes

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by vicadex07(m): 3:03pm On Sep 12, 2014
neoapocalypse:

Dashiki is Hausa not Yoruba

Na you dash abo.ki abi

The name Dashiki is derived from the
Yoruba word "danshiki", which means shirt.
It is usually worn with a hat called "Kurfi" or
"Koufia", which are Yoruba words for hat,
and a pair of pants called "Sokoto", which is
the Yoruba word for pants.

History in the West
The Dashiki was made popular in the
western parts of the world by Oba (Yoruba
word for king) Ofuntola Oseijeman Adelabu
Adefunmi, who was born Walter Eugene in
Detroit, Michigan, USA in 1928. He became
interested in African Studies at the age of
16, and travelled to Haiti at the age of 20 in
order to be exposed to African religion from indigenous Africans. Soon after, he returned to the U.S. and began a small scale
manufacturing business which included
African attire, most notably dashikis.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Emac(m): 3:32pm On Sep 12, 2014
ZACHIE: This is misinforming.
The etymologies of the specific words you listed up there are not exclusive, rather borderline assumptions.
Okra,Juju,Tango,etc have much wider spread and use than Nigeria.
The only genuine addition to English language in that list is a Yoruba word: DASHIKI which describes a traditional clothing item.
There are indeed several other words absorbed into English emanating from Nigeria but certainly not the ones captured by the op in that they are not exclusive.
SUSU is exclusive in area catchment, meaning and application.
I will update this later.
I totally agree with u.. Finding it a bit difficult to believe d Op
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by Chibokgame: 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2014
Nice compilation,
Anyway,
Most of these borrowed words are found in Names.

If i write-out some of them,pls don't ask me for explanations.

* The word " Annie
* The word " Garri
* The word " Etighi (dance )
Etc .
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by ikweremilitant: 4:46pm On Sep 12, 2014
emmyrichie:

English language is known for borrowing from other languages and every word (like everything else) has an origin.

The word “Makurdi,” for example, comes with a story. When our colonial masters first visited the area now called Makurdi, they wanted to the person that was in-charge. And the locals kept referring to a rich merchant, whom they called mai-kudi, which translates to ‘owner of money’ in Hausa. Knowing the white man and his habit of killing our African names started calling the whole town Makurdi. And that is how the town, Makurdi, got its name.

Which words have been borrowed from Nigerian Languages? We are going to answer that question today. GiftedGreen is going to provide you with some English words that have Nigerian Origin.

1.Okra

At first you would wonder why this word is called “Okro” in Nigeria, and yet it is spelled “Okra” in English. It is not because you do not know how to spell; it is simply because it originated from the Igbo word “okuro” which also means also known as “ladies’ fingers”.

2.Juju

No Nigerian needs an introduction to the word juju. At first, it does not seem like an English word until you check your dictionary.

According to The Free Dictionary, this word originated from Hausa. And yes, it also mentioned the Yoruba type of music in the dictionary

3.Bogus

Bogus means fake or fraudulent. Bogus is believed to be from the Hausa word “boko-boko”.

4.Tango

Tango probably originates from the word ‘tamgu’ means to dance in Ibibio. How the Ibibio’s were able to name an Argentinean dance still baffles everybody at GiftedGreen. The FreeDictionary still gives credit to the language (Ibibio) so who are we to judge?

5.Buckra

Buckra is a word used contemptuously by Black people, especially in the United States to refer a White man. This word is believed to have originated from the Efik word mba-ka-ra which means master. #slavetradethings

6.Yam

The word yam probably originated from the Fulani word “nyami”. We would bet that you did not see this one coming, did you? If you were to choose a word contributed by the Fulani, you probably would have said cow.

This list does not end here, there are also a couple of words like Dashiki, Agbada, Chigger, Obeah, and many more

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2014/01/24/6-english-words-with-nigerian-origins/
bless u op.permitt me to add,akin wic is a yoruba word nd its used to tel similarites in english language.
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by hunter21(m): 6:12pm On Sep 12, 2014
since boko refers to book and academics, then boko boko could very well mean bogus
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by daveP(m): 8:19pm On Sep 12, 2014
iceberylin: Calm down , leme Call Britain and confarm this wink
chai iCe and this man sef grin grin

1 Like

Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by pinkshell(f): 8:37pm On Sep 12, 2014
You no wan get respect, lekan

firstolalekan: ok
op forgot to add
Retardeen (e.g gej is a retardeen)
Waka (e.g na only you waka come)
daris (e.g daris god o)
Amazingly, all those words are in standard English dictionary tongue
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by firstolalekan(m): 8:57pm On Sep 12, 2014
pinkshell: You no wan get respect, lekan

undecided say what
Re: Some English Words With Nigerian Origin. by eduxerxes: 9:08pm On Sep 12, 2014
I used to think that the only English word of Nigerian Origin is "Lassa Fever". Check it in ur dictionary peeps!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UNILAG Prof. Daramola Flogging Student Who Came Late To His Class Yesterday / Angry Zambian Father Slaps His Son Over Poor Result After Paying $21k As Tuition / Pls Can HND Distinction Go For Masters Direct

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.