Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,225 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (19684 Views)

The Ijaws That I Know / Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by ChristyG(f): 12:32pm On Sep 14, 2014
UnknownT: Dat was the Old Rivers State that the Ijaws were dominant, not NOW!

OP, what about the Ilaje's in Ondo State?
Haa Izon!!!!!!!
and what happened to ilajes?ilajes are yorubas not ijaw,probably u meant apoi and arogbo,they are d only ijaw clans in ondo state

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 14, 2014
sunnedee:
I may be wrong but I think some ijaws are also in ondo state
you are right. There are ijaw's in Ondo till tomorrow.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by iaatmguy(m): 1:04pm On Sep 14, 2014
Baddo101: Nice one. I ve lived in brass bayelsa for about a yr. and i wonder how easy it is to speak the language cos it sounds like somebody speaking wth okro soup in the mouth.....Lol.
Funny enuf u see a child of 2yrs understanding wat d mum said in dia dialect.. thats d beauty of mother tongue.....
I really enjoyed dia phonological interference of calling fish as "fis"
I also love their rich culture....they can spend heaven and earth on burials i.e. they respect their dead so much..
I enjoyed my stay wth dem though. " their aggresive nature".........
Oonua oooo!!!!..
Seridoha!!!..
Inyoo o seridoha nua
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by kel4soft: 1:05pm On Sep 14, 2014
engrsyer: Abeg lecture Obakovich for me but no ask of school fees from ham. If u must ask rather tell me i go pay for ham but just give ham Amaechi Free Education.

He has learnt grin

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by iaatmguy(m): 1:07pm On Sep 14, 2014
What of the akassa clan I so much enjoyed my stay in sangana akassa clan
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by tonte(m): 1:15pm On Sep 14, 2014
obonoma? are you really sure u know where u are even talking about? I'm from abonema, and it's on the same island as Obonoma, we speak entirely the same thing, and we are in the same local govt, and belong to the same clan/sect/family...and we have nothing to do with your brand of Degema that u speak of, I don't know the Usokun and Atala people at all as this is even my first time of hearing about them so I can't speak on them...Degema is entirely Kalabari...and as all Kalabari's we never agree/admit that we are Ijaw the same way Ikewerre people never admit/agree that they are Ibo...but We all belong to the Ijaw Nation

pazienza:

Degema LGA, is not the same as Degema group. I am well aware of the fact that there are Kalabari groups that are present in Degema LGA.
But when i say Degema, i mean the Atala people, Obonoma and Usokun people, and not the Ijoid people that found themselves in Degema LGA. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by tonte(m): 1:17pm On Sep 14, 2014
Mbre Tobra?

abelbriggs:
Mbre u no lie.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 1:18pm On Sep 14, 2014
Proudly kalabari,although i no sabi any thing for the language.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by tonte(m): 1:21pm On Sep 14, 2014
true, Nembe Language sound almost exactly like the Kalabari language, which counds similar to the Okirika Language, all 3 are different, all 3 are definitely related, and all 3 never agree to be called Ijaw...but poilitcally we all form the Ijaw Nation...the core Ijaws are the ones from Bayelsa...the Amasomma, Brass, Sagbama kingdoms

Dreambeat: You are right.I lived with them for quite sometime.Nembe is another group in Bayelsa that are politically Ijaw when they away from the state.When you talk to them in Bayelsa,they tell you they are Nembe and NOT Ijaw.

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 14, 2014
engrsyer: @ Op, where did u keep the good people of Bille Clan in the Eastern Ijo? Or is Bille not part of the Ijaw nation? Good work but do more research.

They are part of Kalabari
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by henryblaze25(m): 1:43pm On Sep 14, 2014
Nice write up, #PROUDLYIJAW

It will shock most people that we also have the EDO IJAW , a particular local Government in Edo state is made up of ijaw.

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by engrsyer(m): 2:12pm On Sep 14, 2014
brito:

They are part of Kalabari
like seriously? E clear sey u b day dreamer. Pa sisi saki nde.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by mandax: 2:14pm On Sep 14, 2014
abelbriggs:
U knw nxt to nothing Mr.Paziena. When u dig deep into Andonis ethnic stock u will knw better. Nxt u will say Ikweres r igbos pls n pls keep ur igbo madness to ur sef. As 4 opobo Jaja or no Jaja dy r ijaws cos he migrated wif some families Wic r ijaws to opobo. So pls educate ur sef b4 displaying ur hatred n resentment 4 d ijaws and for d andonis hw do d igbos come into d picture? I dnt knw Wats wrong wif ur types any tribal issue u attach d igbo dogma b it Yoruba,Hausa or any Tribe GROW UP BEYOND UR NOSE.

What do you think Igbo will benefit from having close ties with people like you?

Please keep your Ijoidness to yourself. I am from southeast, but our ancestors could have had ties with Tiv, Yoruba, Ishan, Bini, Ibibio, etc ancestors.

Are you another shallow minded one who cannot understand that without deference to one big group nearer to Ijaw, Nigeria may not give a damn depriving your lot of all that matters to you?

Grow up, divide-and-rule masters taught you that Igbo is your enemy; they had maligned your thought processes.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by e4e5d4d5: 2:39pm On Sep 14, 2014
To what extent are the various ijaw languages distinct. . .e.g to what extent can an abonnema person understand an akaha or igbani speaker. . .are the various ijaw languages branches more like dialects of a common language or are they distinct languages on their own? ?
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 14, 2014
Yeeeeh! What have I been doing missing such an important thread all this while.
It is a fact that anything Ijaw always brings with it conflict and clash of interest. From the western division comprising the Ilajes, Binis, Itshekiris, Urhobos and Isokos to the eastern sector - Ikwerres, Ogonis, Ekpeyes, Ibibios, Annangs, Obolos, and Okrikas, it has always been animosity and acrimony pointed to the direction of one ethnic group - Ijaws. The cause of this is believed to have started in the post independence era of Nigeria during the Ijaw aggressive march for ethnic identity and territorial boundary recognition. After achieving this political and ethnic recognition through both legitimacy and scam their neighbours felt threatened to this new aspirations of a once small ethnic group. Today, the once brotherly region is now engulfed with mistrust and suspicion towards the Ijo not knowing what plans of expansionist agenda these seemingly small ethnic group have in their sleeves.

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Samabu07(m): 3:07pm On Sep 14, 2014
Baddo101: Nice one. I ve lived in brass bayelsa for about a yr. and i wonder how easy it is to speak the language cos it sounds like somebody speaking wth okro soup in the mouth.....Lol.
Funny enuf u see a child of 2yrs understanding wat d mum said in dia dialect.. thats d beauty of mother tongue.....
I really enjoyed dia phonological interference of calling fish as "fis"
I also love their rich culture....they can spend heaven and earth on burials i.e. they respect their dead so much..
I enjoyed my stay wth dem though. " their aggresive nature".........
Oonua oooo!!!!..
Seridoha!!!..

Badooo...I also stayed in Brass for a year (2012-13) Courtesy of NYSC. I was initially posted to Yenagoe...I literally cried at camp before every one and also to the then State Coordinator. Got deployed to Brass the Next day. My station was Okpoama. One of the Peace-ful, full security and ofcourse their 24/7 365 Light supply. I enjoyed their meal..esp "Yellow Soup". I miss their good fish though.

For the record, Nembe and Brass LG aren't Ijaw. They are called Nembe speaking clan. Their greeting is quite different. Nembe (Nembe/Brass LGAs) say
Oonua to one person (if they are in group, you greet Oonua ooooo) and the Ijaws especially Kolopuma/Opokuma LGA say Seridoha!!!

I love the south south, still contemplating if to get married to one of them or go down to Benue (My root)...I never conclude sha....

Nice to know some one was In Brass as me...I love and miss the Oceania.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by JANK23H(m): 4:10pm On Sep 14, 2014
pazienza:

Andoni is not Ijaw, Andoni is like Ibibio with mixture of Igbo and Ijaw. Opobo is a hybrid of Igbo and Ijaw, and not Ijaw.
Opobo is purely Ijaw,go study your history.The Igbo influence came in during the slave trade when, igbo slaves were integrated and accepted into the houses of their masters.No talk wetin you no know.

4 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by JANK23H(m): 4:20pm On Sep 14, 2014
Samabu07:

Badooo...I also stayed in Brass for a year (2012-13) Courtesy of NYSC. I was initially posted to Yenagoe...I literally cried at camp before every one and also to the then State Coordinator. Got deployed to Brass the Next day. My station was Okpoama. One of the Peace-ful, full security and ofcourse their 24/7 365 Light supply. I enjoyed their meal..esp "Yellow Soup". I miss their good fish though.

For the record, Nembe and Brass LG aren't Ijaw. They are called Nembe speaking clan. Their greeting is quite different. Nembe (Nembe/Brass LGAs) say
Oonua to one person (if they are in group, you greet Oonua ooooo) and the Ijaws especially Kolopuma/Opokuma LGA say Seridoha!!!

I love the south south, still contemplating if to get married to one of them or go down to Benue (My root)...I never conclude sha....

Nice to know some one was In Brass as me...I love and miss the Oceania.

Nembe clan is part of the over a dozen clans that make up the Ijaw tribe.Nua is also used in other Ijaw clan,the slight differences is attributed to the diverse dialects.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 14, 2014
[quote author=engrsyer] like seriously? E clear sey u b day dreamer. Pa sisi saki nde.[/quote

How am I a day dreamer?
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by HopeAtHand: 4:21pm On Sep 14, 2014
Jamean:

Izon (Ijaw) is the 4th Largest tribe in Nigeria after the WAZOBIA. They are found in Ondo, Edo, Delta, Bayelsa (majorly) and Rivers state.

HA IZON!!!

Hardly..

You can't come up with such? Here in the SS, the Efik/Ibibio is arguably the largest tribe, you see them everywhere..Ijaws are just scattered around the swamps of Rivers, Delta and that Huge Swamp called Bayelsa.

Use your heat maps in doing your homework.

3 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by benson81(m): 4:29pm On Sep 14, 2014
engrsyer: @ Op, where did u keep the good people of Bille Clan in the Eastern Ijo? Or is Bille not part of the Ijaw nation? Good work but do more research.
Pardon me.that's a very important omission Bille and Bukuma."well the Bille clan are anothe eastern Ijaw people in Rivers State, Nigeria. The small clan is sometimes classified as a Kalabari clan but are unique clan on their own.The tribal seat is the town of Bille"

2 Likes

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by JANK23H(m): 4:46pm On Sep 14, 2014
HopeAtHand:

Hardly..

You can't come up with such? Here in the SS, the Efik/Ibibio is arguably the largest tribe, you see them everywhere..Ijaws are just scattered around the swamps of Rivers, Delta and that Huge Swamp called Bayelsa.

Use your heat maps in doing your homework.
Just because the Ibibios have succeeded in exporting domestic help around the country,doesn't make them more than Ijaws.The Ijaws have a way of integrating themselves seamless into any society they find themselves.That explains why they can't be identified easily, moreso they'll rather reside in their region.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:03pm On Sep 14, 2014
Izon people, what is the meaning of the name, Tamaraukenemiweriemi?

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by benson81(m): 5:11pm On Sep 14, 2014
asamaigho:

sharrap ur dirty mouth...... the ITSEKIRIS ARE light years ahead of illiterate ijaws....in all ramifications
pls let us grow up and not insult ourselves we are all interwined
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Ihuomadinihu: 5:18pm On Sep 14, 2014
Greetings to my Ijaw friends. Niger-Delta literature and Asu Ekiye drew my attention to the Ijaw world view.
Greetings to my brothers in Opobo and Bonny too.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by benson81(m): 5:21pm On Sep 14, 2014
e4e5d4d5: To what extent are the various ijaw languages distinct. . .e.g to what extent can an abonnema person understand an akaha or igbani speaker. . .are the various ijaw languages branches more like dialects of a common language or are they distinct languages on their own? ?
They are different dialects of ijaw.if u listen carefully u find out that there are similarities.for eg the Kalabari would greet by sayin 'tubara mu' while the person from Patani in delta state would say 'tebara'

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 14, 2014
maki: Proudly Kalabari, Proudly Ijaw....

Kalabari? Really?
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 14, 2014
tonte: Mbre Tobra?

O kbu kuroma..a ro sim o.

1 Like

Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 14, 2014
Ha Izon!

Ha Kalabari ee!

Asa bala bala......!! Make we no begin igira sara here make dem no fear.

Those that dont know eventually will. Other people still dey learn work.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by armadeo(m): 5:55pm On Sep 14, 2014
pazienza:

He is right.

That's what i said.
Re: An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 14, 2014
macof:

Not according to every article I've read about Andoni, they have,absolutely nothing to do with Igbo as far as I know.
They are ijaw.

Opobo isn't anything Igbo either, because jaja was igbo don't make opobo a mixed town

The dominant language in Opobo and parts of Bonny is Igbo not Ijaw. When a conference to form the Union Igbo was held, Bonny people were invited but Asaba people were not. Bonny Igbo dialect is part of the Union Igbo. Andoni does have a few Igbo words just like Urhobo/Isoko.

All the southern tribes are kind of related. Even Okrika and Kalabari borrowed a lot of Igbo words.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Hausa, Fulani, Kanuri Of The Sudan / Facebook User Lashes Out At People Who Condemn Rites Done By Ooni's Queen / Original Hausa Names And Thier Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.