Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,946 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

THE WEB - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / THE WEB (117087 Views)

The Africa Connected. Success Stories Powered By The Web Contest / ***SECRETS Exposed***how To Get Paid Writing For The Web! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 01, 2014

Ade parked his honda EOD in front of bolu and Temi's apartment and making sure the girls were safely inside the compound, said good night and zoomed off.

Making sure the pedestrian gate was locked behind them, even though it was just 4.30pm, they took the stairs to the back door of their apartment upstairs. Walking up the short hall, the apartment was unusually dark for that time of the day. Turning on lights on the way, bolu went straight to the kitchen while Temi went straight to the bedroom to UnCloth.

It was a one bedroom apartment with toilet and bathroom, while a small part of the small living room was carved out to serve as a small kitchen. Here, the ladies hardly cook, they did most of their cooking outside like the rest of the tenants. This way, they avoided heat generated from cooking.

bolu opened the freezer section of the refrigerator in their makeshift kitchen, where they had a stash of plastic containers of food cooked earlier. The largest of these was a deep plastic bowl half filled with vegetable soup. Pulling that out, she took off the cover and put it in a bowl of water so it can thaw on time for their dinner.

"Bolu" temi called from the bathroom
"Yes", bolu answered from the living room. She was sitting in front of the tv, still fully dressed except for her shoe which she had removed and hung neatly on the shoe rack in a corner of the livingroom.

"Bolu, are we still going out tonight?" She asked
"Well, depends", bolu said disinterestedly.
"You know I already promised Helen we'll be coming now", temi pleaded. She was through in the bathroom and was standing at the door leading to the living room.
"Ok. But you know I told Ade we'll not be going out again today", she said, torn between pleasing her friend and being faithful to her boyfriend. The former won.

Bolu went to the bedroom, took off her clothes and got into the bathroom. She considered herself a no-nonsense person, and never moreso when she showered. In five minutes, she was clean and dry again. From their shared closet, she grabbed an old comfortable pair of blue jeans and a lovely white button-down dress shirt Ade had bought for her earlier.

Back in the living room, temi was already making amala for them. Bolu scooped some part of the still frozen soup she could in a clean pot and put it on fire.

"See why we need microwave", temi said and stuck out her tongue mockingly.
"You know me now, burger is not monkey's food" bolu said jokingly. "I've only used microwave oven once in my life, all thanks to Ade".
" But really, you should start getting used to things like that", temi jeered at her friend.
Bolu took that advice with a stone face, sighing.
Temi twisted around and to look at her friend and said, "well?"
"It's all complicated", Bolu conceded. "Tobi doesn't seem to be too happy about me and Ade".
"Granted," temi said. "But you have to be realistic. He never really asked you out, his mother acts funny around you and his girlfriend will kill you if she catches you with him".
"So, what are you saying, Temi?"
"Follow your heart". Temi said, pouring some water in the freshly used amala pot.

Bolu brought the steaming pot of soup inside and both girls ate from the same plate like they did most times. This time, they ate in silence.

By 5.30pm, they were ready to set out for Helen, their corper friend's birthday get together. Both girls stepped out of the compound and waived down the first bike they saw approaching. Before they could get on the bike however, a red gulf parked at a corner of the street suddenly came to life and parked beside them.

Not one to get carried away easily by things like free ride, Bolu quickly said thank you and declined the offer of free ride. Not relenting, the driver moved forward again, levelling with the girls.

"Get inside", the mean looking guy at the passenger side barked at them. By this time, the okada guy had already left and the street was devoid of much activities, nearly empty by this time of the day. Surprisingly, the few passers-by just went about their duty as if such sight was not strange. Now more scared than ever, the girls broke into a run and the gulf increased speed.

Blinded by fear, the girls ran straight into an oncoming vehicle around the corner. The gulf zoomed off and the girls were left lying in a pool of their blood. The car that hit them had driven off in fear, leaaving the girls for dead. Joe and his friend were happy the girls were ran over, didn't bother to see the extent of his damage.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
Nw I undstand wat happened... Wat happened 2 Tobi's galfrnd nd her frnd? Dnt really get dat part

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:02pm On Oct 01, 2014
Hameenat94: Nw I undstand wat happened... Wat happened 2 Tobi's galfrnd nd her frnd? Dnt really get dat part
We are going there now sis, thanks for following.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:05pm On Oct 01, 2014
I just hope Bolu gets well...and Temi is alright.
This your on and off updates naim go make us fight oooo...
Re: THE WEB by Eniqurl(f): 9:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
Hehe...ma dear Bolu
#Following
Re: THE WEB by okotv(m): 9:50pm On Oct 01, 2014
following
Re: THE WEB by seunviju(f): 11:01pm On Oct 01, 2014
Following jejely.I nid more o but thanks for the update
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 02, 2014
debdave: I just hope Bolu gets well...and Temi is alright.
This your on and off updates naim go make us fight oooo...
Had some technical ish earlier, sorry my sister. Updates will be more frequent now.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:23am On Oct 02, 2014
Eniqurl
Okotv
Seunviju and the rest of the crew,

Thanks for following
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 02, 2014
candy:
Had some technical ish earlier, sorry my sister. Updates will be more frequent now.
OK o....#still following#.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 02, 2014
Dr Smart was in her night dress, reading and sipping warm beverage when her phone rang. She checked the number, seeing it was unlisted, decided not to pick it. Checking her watch, she saw it was 1:15am and she continued reading.

When her phone rang for the second time and she didn't pick it, her husband walked down to the study to check on her.

"Hi dear, thought you had slept off" he said
"No, I'm still on the medical journal article" she answered without taking her eyes off the hard copy of the journal she was reading. Then his own phone rang and he picked it.

"Hello" he said into the phone, not very happy to be called by that time of the night.
"What?!" He said, alarmed.
Dr smart was already on her feet. "What is it?"
" Yes" he continued the telephone conversation," she's reading. And yes, we will be on our way now" he said and hung up.
Somehow, Dr Smart knew it was an emergency and she knew it involved Amber. She quickly ran upstairs and changed into a caftan. She picked her handbag and phones, almost tripping on the stairs. She ran down to the car, her husband came after her.

The driver was already behind the wheels when they got downstairs and they drove into the night. Dr Smart had done this severally in the cause of her profession, never for someone this close to her. She was confused. Senator Smart held her hands reassuringly.
"She'll be fine" he said
"I know." She said unconvinced.

They got off at the entrance of the trauma and emergency unit of the hospital while the driver drove round to find suitable parking space.

"They are stable and are both responding to treatment", the doctor on call informed Senator Smart. Dr Smart couldn't hold back her tears as she starred down her daughter's body at the icu.
"They will be moved to the female ward at dawn", he informed them.
"Thank God" senator Smart said, waving his arms towards heaven.
"It's a miracle they survived the crash sir" the doctor said as he passed him a consent form.
"Sir, we may need to amputate both legs"
Being a doctor herself, Dr Smart assessed the legs and felt the amputation was unnecessary. She conveyed this to the doctor and they decided to observe the healing process. She was more experienced but as a parent, her opinion didn't count. Luckily, they were able to convince the doctor.

Amber was unconscious, but Sasha wasn't. She just starred at them as if in a trance. Both hands were in huge casts and hanging suspended above her. Nobody was there to see her. Her parents didn't live in Nigeria and grandma promised to check on her in the morning. Apparently, its no big deal to her.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 7:16pm On Oct 02, 2014
Yes! She tot she can kill Bolu abi? They sh jst amputate her legs oh... Law of Karma!

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Eniqurl(f): 12:23am On Oct 03, 2014
Serves her right jawe.
Re: THE WEB by PrinceAdepoju(m): 1:00am On Oct 03, 2014
Hmm.
The reward of evil doings.

Well done, Candy.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 04, 2014
Three weeks later, when Amber was stable enough to be moved, her mother moved her home and took care of her. Gradually, but steadily, Amber got well, but couldn't gain full control of her right leg. Confined in a wheel chair, she became had become depressed and was placed on anti depressant.

She suffered mood swings and cried all the time in the hospital but her mother felt strong enough to take her on. Tobi visited once or twice after which the visits stopped on his mother's instruction.

Her condition worsened and Dr Smart decided to fly her abroad for a vacation and comprehensive treatment. But first, she had to take care of a thought that had blossomed to an obsession over time. A wrong she felt she had to right, even at the risk of her life.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by labaski(f): 9:05am On Oct 04, 2014
thanks candy..

but dz is too short nah??..
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 04, 2014
On a bright tuesday morning, three weeks after she was admitted at Grace hospital, Bolu was discharged amidst fun fare. Present were all the people she cared about, even baba ibadan was there. A lone tear dropped on her beautiful cheek and Ade wiped it off gently with his index finger .

The first one week had been a terrible one. With the pain in her head, arm and leg came the constant pain of abandonment. She only saw her mother, no word or visit from tobi, ade and even temi. She had forced her mother to go and inform them at the office because she had no phone. Her pone was badly mutilated and her sim card was broken in half. By 12noon, Ade and Tobi were with her. Temi was discharged the following day and she visited everyday.

Ade drove them to Madam ty and Bolu's Felele apartment in his newly acquired SUV. It was his first time there. Tobi and Temi drove behind them in Tobi's Toyota corolla.

"You are welcome to my humble apartment". Bolu said as her mother alighted to open the gate. It was so nice to be back home.
"It's a beautiful place", Ade said as he admired the large compound. The compound housed two buildings; the main building and the detached bq that housed Bolu and her mum.

Madam ty closed the gate after Tobi's car and proceeded to open the door.
After making her guests settle somehow in the sparsely furnished sitting room, madam ty went inside the bedroom to change.

"Maami, what's wrong?" Bolu had come to look for her when she failed to come out after 10minutes. She found her mother sitting at the edge of the bed, head resting on her palm in deep thought.
Bolu's question jolted her back to reality. She shrugged her shoulders and stood up, while reassuring her daughter that all was well.
" No problem, Bolu" she said
Moving close to her mother, she placed her good hand on her shoulder and said, "maami, you've not really been yourself for sometime now, why?"

After failing to persuade her mum to tell her why she was in deep thoughts, she changed her clothes and went back to join her friends who by now were sitting on the porch outside, admiring the serene environment.

"This compound is really big and well kept", Tobi observed, even though all of his parents' compound were bigger. "Yes", Ade admitted, while helping himself to the bottle of roasted ground nut Bolu offered them.

The relationship between Tobi and Ade appeared to be somewhat strained and Bolu and Temi never failed to notice the strain in their otherwise admirable friendship, though both guys had on different occasions denied this. To make both guys happy, Bolu had to pay or at least pretend to pay equal amount of attention to them.

Bolu walked up to Tobi and gave him a big beary hug. "Thank you for everything, Tobi". She said, "you are like the brother I never had...my brother from another mother"
"Hmmm, brother and sister", TEmi said as she slapped Bolu's back. "Where is mummy?" She asked.
"Inside", Bolu said, a bit downcast, remembering her mother's earlier mood in the room.
Temi moved towards the house and waved Bolu off when she made to go call her mother. "Ok, I'll go see her, I'll soon be on my way"

Still playing the good hostess, Bolu took Tobi's hand while she leaned on Ade. She took the guys on a tour of the building amidst ohs and ahs from her obviously impressed guests.

Bolu and her mum were bidding their guests farewell as they got in the car. Tobi offered to drop Bolu's uncle off in his house and this made baba ibadan very happy.

"Thank you very much for everything," Madam ty said to Ade and Tobi, almost unable to remove her gaze from Tobi. She had this strange feeling the first time she met Tobi at the compass builders when she went there to inform him of her accident. A feeling of dejavu that she just couldn't shake off.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 04, 2014

On a clear, still and silent sunday at the end of February, Chief Bode Seriki leaned back on pillows set up against the headboard in Awa's hotel room somewhere close to the airport, around Gbagi.

Taking in the situation in a heartbeat, he threw a cold glance at Awa, sitting next to him on the bed. Awa chatted on on the phone, without a care in the world. She had arrived Ibadan on saturday with two suitcases and had only informed Chief after she settled in, in her hotel room.

Chief Bode Seriki was caught unawares and he didn't hide his displeasure at Awa's action.

"Why didn't you wait for me to call you, Awa?" He had asked with annoyance.
"Well, you refused to call me or send for me, chief" she said as she unpacked her suitcases.
Chief looked at her bags ruefully, even more annoyed at the quantity of clothes she brought with her.
"Are you planning to go back at all?" He asked, anger and disappointment evident in his voice.
"Nope, chief. I've come to stay", she had replied defiantly and she continued unpacking.

Chief had gone back home, disturbed and back again on sunday, he was no less disturbed. Chief Bode stood up by the couch, stretching. He and Awa had been going over issues for the past couple of hours when his phone rang on the dresser.

"What are you doing?" The voice on the other end asked without saying hello. It was chief's doctor, Dr Emma.
"When?" Chief asked him.
"Now", the voice on the other end echoed excitedly.
"Nothing." He casted a glance at awa as he said nothing.
"Actually, your result is out and I'll like to personally deliver it" dr emma informed him

Dr Emma allowed hiim to process the information before he continued. "The DNA result" he said.
"I know. I'm just so aanxious about this whole thing" he said, the anxiety evident in his shaky voice.
"Let's meet at the gulf club in 1hour" chief said.
"Fine by me chief", dr emma said and hung up.

"Where do you think you are going without me, chief?" Awa asked when chief suddenly picked his phones and car key. He drove himself here to avoid his wife's suspicion. She had a way with the drivers and he didn't want to risk her forcing his driver to divulge information about Awa unnecessarily.

"Awa, I'm a maarried man and can't be seen with you" he said, holding the door.
" So, when do I become Mrs Awawu Seriki?" She asked sheepishly, sending a jolt of irritation down Chief's spine.
Happy he was going to be a father, but too weary to go through the mental rigor of paternity tests again will be too much, so his mind made up, he said "Soon as you have the baby and DNA confirms I'm the father"

That piece of information scared Awa to her bones and she kept quiet. She had to find a way around it- there was no baby.
"I'll call you later" chief said and closed the door behind him.

Awawu sank deeper on thr bed, the dinner gown she was holding flew off her hands in frustration. She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. Then she picked up her phone and rang up a sugar daddy she met on her way down to ibadan.

2 Likes

Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 04, 2014
labaski:
thanks candy..

but dz is too short nah??..

Check it out now...I was still uploading when you read the appetizer tongue
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
Abuklaw
Tescoleps
Hameenat94
Xtarxhyne
Snowangel
Eniqurl
Debdave
Divepen
PrinceAdepoju
Labaski
D9ty7
Candis009
Cyclone1
AmJane
pricelesslove
foslink
Kunzu
Seunviju
Okotv

Ya all should come and enjoy this tantalizing update kwanu!
Re: THE WEB by pricelesslove(f): 12:26pm On Oct 04, 2014
well done dear, more ink to ur pen

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by okotv(m): 1:45pm On Oct 04, 2014
candy:
Abuklaw
Tescoleps
Hameenat94
Snowangel
Eniqurl
Debdave
Divepen
PrinceAdepoju
Labaski
D9ty7
Candis009
Cyclone1
AmJane
pricelesslove
foslink
Kunzu
Seunviju
Okotv

of course I will but I have to do a quick recap so as to follow the full gist properly
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 04, 2014
candy:
Abuklaw
Tescoleps
Hameenat94
Snowangel
Eniqurl
Debdave
Divepen
PrinceAdepoju
Labaski
D9ty7
Candis009
Cyclone1
AmJane
pricelesslove
foslink
Kunzu
Seunviju
Okotv

How come I dint get a mention?. Na wa o...NL wan start im wahala?
Sweet update.... I just hope nobody hurts Bolu and her mother ooo...
Thanks for the update..#still following#
Re: THE WEB by tescoleps(f): 7:38pm On Oct 04, 2014
candy:
Abuklaw
Tescoleps
Hameenat94
Xtarxhyne
Snowangel
Eniqurl
Debdave
Divepen
PrinceAdepoju
Labaski
D9ty7
Candis009
Cyclone1
AmJane
pricelesslove
foslink
Kunzu
Seunviju
Okotv

Welldone candy, tanx for d update.
Re: THE WEB by seunviju(f): 7:38pm On Oct 04, 2014
Thank you for the update moi dear.keep up with the good work
Re: THE WEB by labaski(f): 7:52pm On Oct 04, 2014
candy:
Abuklaw
Tescoleps
Hameenat94
Xtarxhyne
Snowangel
Eniqurl
Debdave
Divepen
PrinceAdepoju
Labaski
D9ty7
Candis009
Cyclone1
AmJane
pricelesslove
foslink
Kunzu
Seunviju
Okotv

u knw say na me first everybody to read am..
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 12:32pm On Oct 05, 2014
seunviju:
Thank you for the update moi dear.keep up with the good work
Thanks o, God bless.
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
debdave:

How come I dint get a mention?. Na wa o...NL wan start im wahala?
Sweet update.... I just hope nobody hurts Bolu and her mother ooo...
Thanks for the update..#still following#
Sometimes even I don't see all my mentions until I get to the thread. Bolu is strong na...I hope her mother is strong enough to weather the coming storm
Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 7:32pm On Oct 05, 2014
candy:

Sometimes even I don't see all my mentions until I get to the thread. Bolu is strong na...I hope her mother is strong enough to weather the coming storm
2 weather which coming storm? Take ur tym oh.. Dis Awa na dog?
Re: THE WEB by Nobody: 8:40pm On Oct 05, 2014

In forty minutes, chief drove inside the ibadan gulf club located in a serene area of sabo. Chief was definitely relieved to hear back from Dr Emma, but didn't want to discuss the result on the phone.

By the tme he settled down at his favorite spot in the reception area, he spotted Dr Emma, grinning from ear to ear, greeting his army friends at the bar. He spotted chief and quickly waved at him. He sat down beside chief and the two men exchanged pleasantries.

Cutting to the chase, dr emma brought out a concealed brown envelope and handed it to chief carefully.
"What does it say?" Chief asked, really scared to open it
"Open it chief, its good news" dr emma assured him

With shaky fingers, chief opened the envelope and smiled at first then a big laugh escaped his wide open mouth.
"I'm the father", he said, as if he was telling Dr Emma something he didn't know.
"Yea, congrats, chief. I'm glad you didn't discuss the text message with madam and Tobi"
"I couldn't have, even it turned out he's not my son".Chief shook hands with Dr Emma across the table. Happily, chief handed a wad of notes to Dr emma, as a sign of appreciation.

"For your fuel" he said and downed the remaining wine in his cup in one gulp, stood up. "I have to leave now"

During the drive back home, chief considered Awa's case and how best to handle her.

1 Like

Re: THE WEB by Eniqurl(f): 10:58pm On Oct 05, 2014
candy:
Abuklaw
Tescoleps
Hameenat94
Xtarxhyne
Snowangel
Eniqurl
Debdave
Divepen
PrinceAdepoju
Labaski
D9ty7
Candis009
Cyclone1
AmJane
pricelesslove
foslink
Kunzu
Seunviju
Okotv

Nice update
#followinq
Re: THE WEB by Hameenat94(f): 11:49pm On Oct 05, 2014
Candy ure really starving us nd I dnt want 2 treat ulcer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

Call Of The Wind: THE GENESIS [Magic] / PERFIDY- A STORY OF LOVE,BETRAYAL AND DECEIT / We Are Able(a Touching Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.