Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,403 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (217855 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Beautiful Names In Efik/ibibio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 16, 2014
chaberry: Did anyone stop you from bearing any of those names?
thwarrior72: Someone with inferiority complex detected wink grin cheesy
OkekeOnyi:
U sound annoying so am not surprised.
fair play smiley
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Ihuomadinihu: 5:13pm On Sep 16, 2014
Unekz: ibrahim
aliyu
basiru
adamu
maryam
aisha
zainab
musa
lovely names
Go to Hausa thread. Osiso!

4 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 16, 2014
prettyamanda: u're sooo dumb even after given d acronym u stil say its not an igbo name smh
In d few years I've graced d earth I av seen foolish peepz n even stupid ones but I've never seen anyone with a combination of stupidity and foolishness gee u broke d record..-Use ur brain ...American Amanda is a name on its own while Amanda(igbo version) is short for another name no strings attached...stop feeling like a pimple when u ain't even a rash
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Ihuomadinihu: 5:25pm On Sep 16, 2014
Let me share unique names from my Bende area in Alaigbo.
Agwu.
Okorie
Enyinnaya
Ironma
Obioma
Chiledu
Arisa
Nnennaya
Okezie
Elewechi
Ukachi
Udo
Uloma
Olanma
Orji
Oti
Anyaburuegbe
Nwanno
Ezihe
Ekeoma
Ogbonnaya
Ndukwo
Okoh
Uzunma
Ihekerenma
Iheukwumere
Nwaorisa
Akwani
Ikwunnaya
Odochi
Iwedinobi
Ndubueze
Ekelema
Ozuruonye
Nnochirionye
Onyebuchi
Onyeabo
Enyioma
Ihedinobi
Chibuisi
Ariwodo.
Original untinted igbo first names.
Lol.

2 Likes

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by inice(m): 5:26pm On Sep 16, 2014
1. Zara
2. Chinonye means emmanuel
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Ihuomadinihu: 5:33pm On Sep 16, 2014
More Bende names:
Aya
Alaukwu
Uwaezuoke
Onyebuchi
Offiah
Ezuruonye
Umezuruike
Nwannennaya
Ajoumiwe
Anyaogu
Ekeleme
Agbugba
Ihejirika
Okosa
Obasi
Ibekwe
Onyeike
Arunma
kalu
Nnabuko
Ude
Okechukwu
Ndubuisi

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Ihuomadinihu: 5:38pm On Sep 16, 2014
jcmaiah: My Igbo name remains the sweetest Igbo name of all time... Chihurumnanya, but since I am male I changed it to Chukwuhurumnanya. In ancient Igbos a mans name don't start with Chi, rather Chukwu. A womans name can end with both chukwu or chi but cant start with it.
Example... Chima=female, chukwuma=male.
again some names that are 99% used by female has male users too.
Example... Chioma=female, Chukwuoma=male.
Chiamaka=female, Chukwuamaka=male.
Igbo name abuses are common in abia state and part of ebonyi. In abia u see a man bearing Chinyere or Chioma.
Well,you are partially right. Most igbo names are unisex.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Ihuomadinihu: 6:02pm On Sep 16, 2014
koning:

The biggest abuse from Abia or is it Imo is NGOZI for a man. I've met a couple of them. It's weird.
It's not weird at all. It seems weird when you don't understand that igbo names are usually unisex. In igbo culture,names are given to child in view of prevailing issues and circumstances surrounding the conception and birth of a child.
I don't see what's weird in a man naming his baby boy Ngozi(Blessing),if he sought for the fruit of the womb for so many years. Nowadays,people tend to reserve sweet names for girls.
My Uncle's name is Obianujuaku,simply because he was born when his father struck gold. In a real traditional igbo society, a boy can be fondly called apunanwu/ochonma cos of his fine features,he can be called Chioma,Akunne, Chinenyenwa,Onyinyechi and Ezinwa.
A girl can be named Ibekwe,Ugonna,Chetanna,Ijeuwa,
Ifeanyi and Chijioke. Depending on circumstances. However, there are very masculine and feminine names reserved for men and women.
E.g names like Okpara,Agu,Dike,Otigba,the Ukwus,the Okoros, Oha,the Ezes,Nwoke,Ekwueme,Obi,Agha,the Ikes are extremely masculine.
While names like, Mgbeke,mgbeorie,Ojiugo, etc are reserved for women.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Ihuomadinihu: 6:06pm On Sep 16, 2014
Arysexy:

Abia has d highest abuse, I have a male friend that bears onyinye I was like wtf
Shey Onyinye is Gift. How is a gift weird?
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Ihuomadinihu: 6:10pm On Sep 16, 2014
mekula: For those complaining about "chi" being in many names, its origin had nothing to do with the christian God. In igbo culture /mythology, every man has a guiding spirit or chi. A defining spirit which protects and guides the physical. When someone starts facing challenges, you hear sayings like,"your chi has abandoned you" there are common sayings in igbo land to butress the fact, e.g. "onye kariri mmadu kariri chi ya" , meaning that when you are stronger than someone, you are stronger than his "chi"., "onye ya na chi ya so", or "onye chi ya mu anya", meaning someone that is still in sync with his chi (someone who hasnt been forsaken by his chi). The origin of the word chi is not from any foreign religion. The advent of Christianity transformed that into the God almighty (Chukwu, Olisa) we all talk about. So yes! Name your child "chi" anything, you would still be keeping touch with the original igbo tradition, not a christianized tradition as some would have you believe. Your " chi" is an important force in shaping one's life patterns, i ga agba oso ghara chi gi?
That's what i've been telling people. The 'Chi' prefix in igbo names is as old as the igbo race,just that it is rampantly used in contemporary times.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by nic121: 6:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
[quote author=CharmO1]Iheomachukwu - good thing from God (that's mine)

Nkemakolam - my own is ready for me

Ihechimerem - what my God has done for me

Uzoamaka - the road is good (as in journey of life)

Chinonyerem - God stay with me

Chizomam - God keep saving me

Ugonna - Eagle/pride of father

Naetochukwu - keep praising God

Nneka - Mother is great

Nkemjika - What I have is greater

Obumneke - am I the giver?
grin grin
My family names. Proud to be Igbo #thatowerrilady[/quote
My name is Nkemakolam
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Kcdojoto(m): 6:24pm On Sep 16, 2014
Uwaezuoke> dis world is not enough
Uwadiegwu> d world is fearful
Osuofia> one who clears bush or a person who clear road for others
Ibuchim> are you my God?
Ifechidelu> what God has written
Okeke> a son born in eke mkt day
Ozioma> gospel
Osogaeme ugbua> I go tear race now now
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 6:31pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
That's what i've been telling people. The 'Chi' prefix in igbo names is as old as the igbo race,just that it is rampantly used in contemporary times.

I'm surprised that some folks dont know this because even in university GS courses, humanities et al. You get taught these things.

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by aduhube: 6:32pm On Sep 16, 2014
aliyu
basiru
adamu
maryam
aisha
zainab
musa
lovely names
What is this mad man saying
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Antivirus92(m): 6:36pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ikechukwu my name....
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Uchechris06(m): 7:18pm On Sep 16, 2014
aliyu
basiru
adamu
maryam
aisha
zainab
musa
lovely names
the thread said igbo names n not hausa names, u can open a new thread if u wish 2 giv us nice hausa names.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by ifyn4real: 7:20pm On Sep 16, 2014
nnekamezor: Hey, is dat ur name?
yes dear
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Favouritegirl1(f): 7:32pm On Sep 16, 2014
Wat abt names lyk
Ugorji
Onochie
Ebubenna
Udogadi
Ifediba
Uchenna
Ejikemeuwa
Odochi
Uzufurulamma
Am nt igbo though
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
ifyn4real: yes dear
okay, nice!

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by oboy3(m): 7:48pm On Sep 16, 2014
Some names we bear in idemili

nwamalubia-the child came at the right time

chikelu-God created

nwose/nwosa-child of God

onyechi/onyinyechi-God's gift

nwabueze-child is king

anaekpelechi-

anayochukwu

okide-great pillar

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Dnaz(m): 7:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
CHINAZO: GOD saves
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Allsmyles(f): 7:59pm On Sep 16, 2014
Sochimaechi z also nyc...only God knws 2moro...#IsoLuvMyName
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by AdimGreat(f): 8:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
Chimeremma (pronounced Chimerem-mma),
Kamfechi,
Nesochi,
Kobimtochi,
Akaolisa,
Olaedo
Recently my cousin named her baby 'Chimbuchi'. I laughed when I heard the name sha. It's a nice name though.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Sugarcoated(f): 8:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
Chibuogwu-GOD IS MY HEALER/MEDICINE

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Divineboy42(m): 8:49pm On Sep 16, 2014
officialcharlz: So i decided to share some nice names igbo people bear and their meaning. Feel free to add yours...

1. Obimnaetochukwu - My heart praises God.
This is a personal fave. also the name of a popular nigerian artiste. Though not so popular, this name's meaning signifies a great deal.

2. Chimamanda- My God can never fall/fail.
this name resounds the infallibility of God. also the name of famous nigerian writer Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie.

3. Chizutere- God sent.
a favorite among the igbo community, other versions include zicora, ziteora. it is also unisex.

4. kamsiyochukwu - literally means 'As i have asked God'.
this name is mostly given when a mother has gotten her heart desire as the name implies.

6. Ndidiamaka- Patience is a virtue.
It sure is. a female-based name which clearly states the importance of patience in having a child.

Others include-
7. Chukwuebuka- God is mighty.
8. Chibuikem- God is my strength.
9. Ifeanyichukwu- Nothing is big for God (He can do all things).
10. Chidindu- God lives.

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by Divineboy42(m): 8:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
officialcharlz: So i decided to share some nice names igbo people bear and their meaning. Feel free to add yours...

1. Obimnaetochukwu - My heart praises God.
This is a personal fave. also the name of a popular nigerian artiste. Though not so popular, this name's meaning signifies a great deal.

2. Chimamanda- My God can never fall/fail.
this name resounds the infallibility of God. also the name of famous nigerian writer Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie.

3. Chizutere- God sent.
a favorite among the igbo community, other versions include zicora, ziteora. it is also unisex.

4. kamsiyochukwu - literally means 'As i have asked God'.
this name is mostly given when a mother has gotten her heart desire as the name implies.

6. Ndidiamaka- Patience is a virtue.
It sure is. a female-based name which clearly states the importance of patience in having a child.

Others include-
7. Chukwuebuka- God is mighty.
8. Chibuikem- God is my strength.
9. Ifeanyichukwu- Nothing is big for God (He can do all things).
10. Chidindu- God lives.

no 3. Chizutere means God meets at d point of need. Chizitere means God sent
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by chiogoezubem(f): 9:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ogochukwu--- God's favour

Ebubechukwu--- God's glory

1 Like

Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
Ndirika....health is supreme.
Chikelue....may God fulfil his creation.
Ezelagbo...lineage has been retained.
Chilozie....Let God change the thouth.
Ifebia...let good come.
Obiozor....Chamber of the noble.
Izuegbuna....my thoughts shall not hurt me.
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
OBIORAA: [color=#000099][/color]

Village ?

Oji Okodu...haha
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by clem305D(m): 9:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
yea...inclusive
somcherry: . God/fathers pride wink
Re: Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe by prodiG(m): 10:09pm On Sep 16, 2014
aliyu
basiru
adamu
maryam
aisha
zainab
musa
lovely names
not funny.Get a life

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Please, Teach Me Efik/ibibio (calabar/akwa-ibom) Language. / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men / Yoruba Songs From Back: When? Remember Any? Jot Them Down Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.