Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,448 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Any HSE Professionals In The House? - Career (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any HSE Professionals In The House? (406668 Views)

Re: Hse Professionals / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Hse Professionals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (113) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by fibial: 12:36pm On Mar 14, 2016
CHIDI SAFETY CONSULTING - Its a leading Power Systems and Solutions Company
based in Lekki, urgently needs experienced candidates to
take up this position.
The safety officer will be responsible for monitoring the working conditions at a mid to
large sized company to ensure that all activity is
compliant with state and federal safety regulations.
The job description of a safety coordinator involves:
* Enforcing company health and safety guidelines
* Inspecting workspaces and products to ensure they are up to safety standards
* A safety coordinator leads safety-training seminars for employees
* Conduct safety inspections on a routine basis
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF A SAFETY COORDINATOR
• Trains employees in safety procedures.
• Designs methods for appraising safety conditions in warehouses, factories, or offices.
• Inspects working conditions to ensure all products and activities are compliant with
safety guidelines.
• Oversees use of dangerous chemicals and machinery.
• Writes up reports detailing inspection process.
• Recalls defective and unsafe products and machinery.
• Orders safety gear and supplies for workplace.
• Stays up to date on new state and federal health and safety regulations.
• Runs emergency drills to gauge employee readiness.
• Consults with company manager regarding the implementation of new safety
procedures.
• Addresses any workplace-related health issues and accidents.
• Works with legal department to address any health and safety-related lawsuits.
• Writes and revises company safety handbook.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Demonstrates broad knowledge of state and federal safety guidelines for the workplace.
• Exhibits knowledge of appropriate emergency protocols.
• Possesses knowledge of legal repercussions of workplace accidents.
• Is able to read and interpret dense legal and federal OHSA documents.
• Demonstrates familiarity with job site machinery and products.
• Possesses strong leadership skills.
• Communicates clearly and effectively.
• Pays close attention to detail.
• Exhibits strong organizational skills.
• Possesses solid problem-solving and analytical abilities.
• Is proficient in the use of word processing programs.
• Works well with a team.
• Possesses strong writing skills.
• Demonstrates ability to remain calm and cool-headed in the event of an emergency.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Safety
Management, or related field is required.
• OHSA certification is required.
• Previous work experience in the health and safety field is required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Time will be spent on the job site monitoring conditions and inspecting products.
• Time will also be spent in an office setting processing paperwork.
• Job sites may be hazardous or pose serious threats in emergency situations.
• Proper safety gear must be worn at all times.
• Local travel to satellite offices may be required.
Interested Candidates should forward their CV to hrmrecruiting@yahoo.com within
2weeks of advertisement.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Kakayaraznits(m): 9:36pm On Mar 14, 2016
Hi everyone, nice work here. Pls I need Nebosh IGC materials, anyone pls help send to usayokad@yahoo.com . Thanks in advance.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by believesama(m): 11:07pm On Mar 15, 2016
agabusta:

Don't be confused. HSE simply stands for Health, Safety and Environment. And u can describe it as a discipline or career.

NEBOSH stands for National Examination Board for Occupational Safety and Health. It is a body based in the UK that issues certifications to Safety practitioners and other interested persons after the successful completion of their courses (i.e. NEBOSH courses).

There are many different HSE courses, so you have to be specific in the one you want to compare with NEBOSH.

NISP stands for Nigeria Institute of Safety Professionals. Yes, it is the same body with ISPON (Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria). ISPON was formerly bearing NISP but changed their name to ISPON I think about 2 or 3 years ago. A lot of people still refer to them as NISP (their old name). ISPON also offers different HSE courses.

pls how do i be a member of ISPON. whatsapp me pls or send me a text i will call back it's urgent Tnx.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by agabusta: 7:21am On Mar 16, 2016
believesama:

pls how do i be a member of ISPON. whatsapp me pls or send me a text i will call back it's urgent Tnx.

To be a member of ISPON you must have completed their General HSE and their HSE Level 3 certificate course.

Afterwards you'll pay for the membership form in the sum of 25k (as at Jan, not sure if price has changed).

You'll write a project of not less than 30 pages in an area of Occupational health and safety.

A membership examination is also conducted in addition to interview/screening of candidates to ascertain the authenticity of their qualifications.

After successful completion of all the stages, induction is then carried out. As of now, they carry out 2 inductions per year.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Dgaffer(m): 9:56pm On Mar 19, 2016
Greatken007:
Good day everyone here.. Is it that people are no longer interested in the truth? The true situation of things now is that before you can establish your own Safety training centre in Nigeria it must be approved by ISPON. ISPON is backed by law of the federal Republic of Nigeria, ISPON ACT 2014. To be a safety practitioner in Nigeria you must be a financial member of ISPON. what does it take to become a member? You must have undergo General HSE training (45k) and HSE Competence Level 3(25k) this is what we call HSE Supervision. Once you are done with this you can now start the process of becoming a member by picking the form, you will write a Technical paper of any safety topic of your choice, after finishing the two trainings above you must definitely be over loaded with several topics since you must have gathered enough knowledge on safety, then you sit for an exam and defence of your technical work, all this I achieved after my service. For those around the Eastern part of the country you can easily run yours in Awka branch , am in Asaba yet I belong to this branch and not Warri branch because Awka is closer that warri from Asaba, they will be starting their training soon soon and the process of induction of new members will also commence soon , so the earlier you begin the process the better for you . Point to note *you can do HSE Level 3 before General HSE, GHSE is more expensive compare to HSE 3 yet HSE competence level 3 is higher (All accidents are incident but not all Incidence are Accident ), the best method to prevent fire is not allowing it to occur at all. ISPON don't collect cash payment, you must pay to the bank, go to the branch and collect their account details.

bros,please I'm interested in the HSE course as I studied Building Technology Education and I'm PCM A16.I resides in Onitsha but I want to engage on the training after my service...give me the address in awka so dat I can locate the place before or after my service since nysc is nt certain with their camping dates...Thanks
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by tol4biz(m): 12:52am On Mar 20, 2016
[quote author=yomishow post=43063635][/quote]will awesomely appreciate you sending me the NEBOSH materials : onwuka.14nwanne@gmail.com
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by EddyOsas: 11:36am On Mar 21, 2016
Greatken007:
Good day everyone here.. Is it that people are no longer interested in the truth? The true situation of things now is that before you can establish your own Safety training centre in Nigeria it must be approved by ISPON. ISPON is backed by law of the federal Republic of Nigeria, ISPON ACT 2014. To be a safety practitioner in Nigeria you must be a financial member of ISPON. what does it take to become a member? You must have undergo General HSE training (45k) and HSE Competence Level 3(25k) this is what we call HSE Supervision. Once you are done with this you can now start the process of becoming a member by picking the form, you will write a Technical paper of any safety topic of your choice, after finishing the two trainings above you must definitely be over loaded with several topics since you must have gathered enough knowledge on safety, then you sit for an exam and defence of your technical work, all this I achieved after my service. For those around the Eastern part of the country you can easily run yours in Awka branch , am in Asaba yet I belong to this branch and not Warri branch because Awka is closer that warri from Asaba, they will be starting their training soon soon and the process of induction of new members will also commence soon , so the earlier you begin the process the better for you . Point to note *you can do HSE Level 3 before General HSE, GHSE is more expensive compare to HSE 3 yet HSE competence level 3 is higher (All accidents are incident but not all Incidence are Accident ), the best method to prevent fire is not allowing it to occur at all. ISPON don't collect cash payment, you must pay to the bank, go to the branch and collect their account details.
can someone with a jpts HSE compliance and supervisors certification still become a member of ISPON without starting afresh ? And what would it take to achieve such ?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by EddyOsas: 11:37am On Mar 21, 2016
can someone with a jpts HSE compliance and supervisors certification (HSE 2 & 3) still become a member of ISPON without starting afresh ? And what would it take to achieve such ?

Thanks
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ugonna1054(m): 11:56pm On Mar 22, 2016
Good day all.

Please, i want to know if it is possible to do Hse 3 alone? If yes, wats d estimated cost?

Im an undergrad (Geology) and my dept partnered with an hse firm for hse 1 and 2 training valued at 9k5 for both.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ademasta(m): 2:36pm On Mar 30, 2016
pearldrops:
I've just concluded the OSHA Academy online course and was issued/sent 7 certificates on the respective courses I took directly from OSHA. My question is ....how relevant or how recognised is OSHA certificates here in Nigeria.
Hello... I also did OSHA 132hour OSH professional course but I don't know how relevant it is. Did the one you did give an edge so far?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 31, 2016
thankfull:
i am a new entrat in the HSE field and starting my GHSE in ISPON branch in port Harcourt 19th to 23rd oct,any one here in this set? we could meet here and also a big thanks to @diehard and @brainwave you are Great mentors

Hello thankfull
Guess you are now HSE Certified.

I'm a Corper serving in Port Harcourt currently and would want to do my Safety training With ISPON.
Must I have to GHSE before the Level 3?
How's the Training being done in PH and where?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Mar 31, 2016
ademasta:

Hello... I also did OSHA 132hour OSH professional course but I don't know how relevant it is. Did the one you did give an edge so far?

Hello ademasta, how's Ondo today?
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ademasta(m): 4:27pm On Mar 31, 2016
deracathy:

Hello ademasta, how's Ondo today?
Haaaaa....Deracathy loooong time. Akure dey make sense o... How your side now
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by hanubarbie(f): 7:50pm On Mar 31, 2016
Hello house,am an awaiting corper, pls I don't really know how to go out the HSE training,can any1 suggest to me how I can go about it and what level to start from...p.s: I live in Ibadan!! Thanks
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by automophosis(m): 4:36pm On Apr 01, 2016
Please I need advice and direction. I'm a graduate of Economics and I desire to become a certified safety professional.
How do I register and sit for the exams?
How much does it cost?
How do one get preparatory materials for the SHE exams?
Is there any possibility for someone without safety background and one who has not worked as one to pass the exams?
Finally, anyone with answers and information or willing to proffer advice should contact me through ekeocha.luke@yahoo.com
I will be grateful to anyone ready to help.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Prince202020(m): 12:11am On Apr 02, 2016
Please i also need the Nebosh and other safety materials as i really want to go into safety as a safety officer E-mail: prince2020204christ@yahoo.com, thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by lma4real(m): 10:21am On Apr 04, 2016
Pls which one is more demanded for; NEBOSH or NISP...
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by lma4real(m): 10:22am On Apr 04, 2016
Pls which one is more demanded for;OSH or NISP in Nigeria
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by DrTI(m): 5:20pm On Apr 08, 2016
Hello house I wanna ask if a graduate of soil science can work in an oil company after getting a certificate in HSE. Especially dat of NEBOSH IGC and general HSE cert
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by DrTI(m): 5:20pm On Apr 08, 2016
Hello house I wanna ask if a graduate of soil science and land management can work in an oil company after getting a certificate in HSE. Especially dat of NEBOSH IGC and general HSE cert
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Phollucks1976: 6:19pm On Apr 08, 2016
[quote auth
or=DrTI post=44526248]Hello house I wanna ask if a graduate of soil science and land management can work in an oil company after getting a certificate in HSE. Especially dat of NEBOSH IGC and general HSE cert[/quote]

Yes,very well .
We are running the course at 20% discount. If interested ,please let me know .
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Kevronconsultin: 2:24pm On Apr 11, 2016
Hi instead of waiting till next year to do NEBOSH,you can start gradually by doing IOSH Managing Safely which is an international certification course and not as expensive as Nebosh but very relevant a we.After that you can do ABIOSH which is equivalent to Nebosh for 230. they are both uk certification course and have the same rating.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Kevronconsultin: 2:26pm On Apr 11, 2016
Go for IOSH Managing Safely.It is an international certification that is well recognised
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Kevronconsultin: 2:40pm On Apr 11, 2016
Hi, to register for an HSE course is not difficult at all,for a starter,you can do the IOSH working Safely and then Managing Safely.However,you can take either of the two and take a higher HSE Course ABIOSH general,ABIOSH Construction or Oil and Gas whichever you want to build your career.nevertheless,the international certification are more highly recognized and all these are international certification. Go for the best.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Kevronconsultin: 11:56am On Apr 12, 2016
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 7:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
Kevronconsultin:

A safety person should read this: http://www.punchng.com/averting-building-collapse-in-lagos-state/
I have gone through the article and I must commend you. it was a good article that proffered solutions and how to go about having a safer construction clime Nigeria. I hope the governments eyes are opened to the importance of hse, its implementation and enforcement.

To add to your article I will also suggest that a very good safety management system be implemented in construction projects as this will help in planning/implementation, organization, monitoring, reviewing and auditing. Most of the times the root cause of building collapse aside from negligence to health and safety is a poor safety management system.

Secondly, health and safety professionals should be very good at phase hazard analysis as construction is a project that presents various hazards with every phase. The hazard you see in the construction site in the planning stage is different from the one you see in the mid stage or final stage.

Once again sir I appreciate your educative article.
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by DONPablosugar: 11:12pm On Apr 21, 2016
Please brother, I read through all your comments in this thread. It saddens me that I didn't know about this information since 2010, if I did perhaps Nigeria would be a better place now. Well, brother, kuddos to how well you and other good folks have represented Nigeria well over there. I also started wearing a permanent neck tag that reads "God bless NGR" since 1st of October 2015. I believe strongly in Nigeria. However, they say it is better late than never. Which is why I would like to request that you please forward me all those relevant materials I may need to sit NEBOSH exam. I want to write that exam straight without even writing IOSH et al. My email address is richieohms@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by ohizzyy7: 12:02am On Apr 25, 2016
please someone should help me with past question and materials for NEBOSH IGC examination i am writing soon.thanks email: osamedeohirein@gmail.com
Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 25, 2016
Good day all. Pls I'll like to make some inquiries.
Novelle training centre offers UK H.S.E levels 1,2,3 at N40,000 while ISPON offers General H.S.E and H.S.E level 3 at N45,000 and N25,000 respectively.
What is the basic difference between them in terms of job-getting opportunities?
Is d one by ISPON higher than that of Novelle?

After getting my H.S.E certs, I intend to proceed to NEBOSH. From what I've seen here, it seems like there're different types of it. Is NEBOSH oil and gas completely different from NEBOSH IGC or is it a part of it?
I studied Petroleum Eng and if NEBOSH oil and gas is different, that's where I'll like to major in instead of the IGC.
Also what is d best professional body that offers this NEBOSH oil and gas and what are the requirements for commencement?

I'll highly appreciate answers from d experienced ones. God bless u all

2 Likes

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by zeongeon: 4:49pm On Apr 25, 2016
Wealthgang:
Good day all. Pls I'll like to make some inquiries.
Novelle training centre offers UK H.S.E levels 1,2,3 at N40,000 while ISPON offers General H.S.E and H.S.E level 3 at N45,000 and N25,000 respectively.
What is the basic difference between them in terms of job-getting opportunities?
Is d one by ISPON higher than that of Novelle?

After getting my H.S.E certs, I intend to proceed to NEBOSH. From what I've seen here, it seems like there're different types of it. Is NEBOSH oil and gas completely different from NEBOSH IGC or is it a part of it?
I studied Petroleum Eng and if NEBOSH oil and gas is different, that's where I'll like to major in instead of the IGC.
Also what is d best professional body that offers this NEBOSH oil and gas and what are the requirements for commencement?

I'll highly appreciate answers from d experienced ones. God bless u all
Firstly if your going into HSE cause of just getting a job then you may end up frustrated. Go into HSEwith passion and interest to save life's and make the work place a better place.

I will advice you to do Ispon as it has been signed into the constitution its the professional body for HSE in Nigeria and there course in Lagos have very interesting facilitators who are practicing and will do there best to make you enjoy whilst learning during the course. Ispon will give u an insight of being a good HSE professional in Nigeria. Ispon courses and syllables where drawn from SPDC.

Your Nebosh I will advice you do Nebosh IGC cause IGC gives you are general knowledge of HSE as it can be applied in various industries with IGC u can fit into any industry. Doing Nebosh oil and gas now seem like your limiting your self to just a sector. When you do your IGC and then get a job in the oil and gas industry then u can do Nebosh oil and gas...People who have done nebosh oil and gas advice its better u do it while in the oil and gas industry as Ur experience will come in to play in class.

As for jobs, you can actually land good HSE jobs with just your ISPON certificates. However Nebosh courses makes you stand a better chance to be called up for an interview.

Finally, be passionate about HSE or u may find out you just wasted money doing the certifications

3 Likes

Re: Any HSE Professionals In The House? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Apr 25, 2016
zeongeon:
Firstly if your going into HSE cause of just getting a job then you may end up frustrated. Go into HSEwith passion and interest to save life's and make the work place a better place.

I will advice you to do Ispon as it has been signed into the constitution its the professional body for HSE in Nigeria and there course in Lagos have very interesting facilitators who are practicing and will do there best to make you enjoy whilst learning during the course. Ispon will give u an insight of being a good HSE professional in Nigeria. Ispon courses and syllables where drawn from SPDC.

Your Nebosh I will advice you do Nebosh IGC cause IGC gives you are general knowledge of HSE as it can be applied in various industries with IGC u can fit into any industry. Doing Nebosh oil and gas now seem like your limiting your self to just a sector. When you do your IGC and then get a job in the oil and gas industry then u can do Nebosh oil and gas...People who have done nebosh oil and gas advice its better u do it while in the oil and gas industry as Ur experience will come in to play in class.

As for jobs, you can actually land good HSE jobs with just your ISPON certificates. However Nebosh courses makes you stand a better chance to be called up for an interview.

Finally, be passionate about HSE or u may find out you just wasted money doing the certifications
Thanks a lot. I appreciate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (113) (Reply)

How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure? / ICAN November 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.