Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,778 members, 7,955,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:13 PM

What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? (5889 Views)

***nigerian Culture To Answer A Question With Another Question?*** / What Aspects Of Our Nigerian Culture Should Be Abolished? / Questions About Nigerian Culture And Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by hensben(m): 9:25am On Sep 17, 2014
red101:

what do you do on valentine's day? you SHOP flowers, candy etc.on christmas, you SHOP, on thanksgiving, you SHOP. someone needs to manufacture those products in order to buy them. "religious" holidays like christmas in western countries are for SHOPPING. they don't represent anything spiritual anymore. Many western people are secular and no longer religious. those holidays have transformed to being focused on consumption. it is a culture of consumption based on capitalism. hence why economic development is related to culture.

stop talking about natural occurence as if chistmas is a natural occurence like earthquake or rain. it is MAN-MADE and it is always changing. christmas 100 yrs ago is VERY different from christmas today. In fact, jesus wasn't born on christmas day over 2000 yrs ago. it used to be a pagan holiday and the romans adapted it to chrstianity hence paganism also influenced the western christian culture. ALL CULTURES BORROW from others.
even the idea of "whites" is a recent development. categorizing people based on color is something that is a result of cultural change as a result of colonization, immigration etc.

educate yourself pls. I am losing my patience here grin
so you posted my photo because of this dabate angry
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by red101(f): 9:32am On Sep 17, 2014
hensben: so you expect me to be wearing atilogun dress everywhere when its not time for it, you ehn! I suppose check you grin.
atilogun is a cultural dance in africa/nigeria that requires those dressing costume, so you think those guys in the picture you posted wears those costume everywhere they go, there is a season/time for it, na everyday be church service for ur area.

now you are getting my point.
culture is a WAY OF LIFE. It is your EVERYDAY existence.
if you no longer dance atilogun, then it is no longer part of your culture but a past history that you are remembering once in a while.
just like visiting a museum.
when culture changes, the old way of life becomes a part of history. We should remember our history but doesn't mean we shouldn't move forward and accept changes to our culture.

remember, your forefathers probably danced atilogun everyday. but today, it makes no sense. our culture has evolved.
in the future, we may have better technology and won't even need cars anymore. but once in a while, we might use it to remember our past history. doesn't mean we should start seeing change as a negative thing.

2 Likes

Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by ChiSun27(m): 9:54am On Sep 17, 2014
I don't fancy all those time wasting celebrations....most of them are meaningless to me.

The only one I do favour myself with and give gratitude to God is the end and first of every year...also my bday.

Outside the above stated any other one is rubbish.
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by victor2exl(m): 10:55am On Sep 17, 2014
Increase in Immoralities and Abnormalities
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by charlsecy(m): 11:10am On Sep 17, 2014
Sagytarius: Wearing Suit under a hot weather, all in the name of being "cooperate" at work.
The suit is good all-weather. It protects the skin from the harmful, ultra-violet rays of the sun.
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by zboyd: 11:10am On Sep 17, 2014
momentum85: op i wonder oo, what marvels me is that many of these celebration we borrowed have an idolatrious background but we ignored our own culture and term them 'fetish'. Dumping our culture may be what is causing this untimely death in this our generation.

You may have a point.

But are Nigerians wholly responsible? No.

Take a minute and think back to WHO determined what cultural practices were considered a fetish and which ones were considered culturally acceptable and have evolved for the betterment of Nigerian society.

What was that WHO'S ulterior motives and why was its determination able to make such deep inroads into the Nigerian psyche?

Another thing...the very WHO that determined certain Nigerian cultural practices as pagan (fetish) also have cultural practices that have pagan roots, yet they dare point fingers.
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by akoaki(m): 12:18pm On Sep 17, 2014
Culture is a dynamic phenomenon.I think acculturation is global. I believe the nigerian culture has gained more than it has lost. In general terms , this trend shall continue as long as man lives. Mankind has no absolute control over this natural process.
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by zboyd: 1:51pm On Sep 17, 2014
For your consideration...

"Religion and an optimistic approach to life in general, are the only factors that could enable an affirmation of any gain derived from the Westernization of African culture. This is because, through the religious inclination of man, certain anomalies are swept under the carpet for peace to reign and man, on the other hand, tends to optimistically approach any and every experience in his life in order to better himself."

Read more: http://vivipedia.com/westernization-african-culture-loss-gain/
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Globalization has had major effects on the Chinese culture, some have been very positive has have given a good dimension to the already rich Chinese culture while some have been negative which have had an adverse effect on the Chinese culture and heritage. Here we will discuss both the positive and negative effects respectively."

Read more: http://whatisanthropology..com/2012/12/globalization-effecting-chinese-culture.html
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Globalization refers to the increasingly global relationship of culture, people and economic activity. While culture on the other hand, is the recognition of good literature, enjoyment of good music, food and arts."

Read more: http://nneka-oringamje..com/2012/04/effect-of-globalization-on-nigeria.html
"Culture is a pattern of human activities and the symbols that give these activities significance. It is what people eat, how they dress, beliefs they hold and activities they engage in. It is the totality of the way of life evolved by a people in their attempts to meet the challenges of living in their environment, which gives order and meaning to their social, political, economic, aesthetic and religious norms and modes of organisation thus distinguishing people from their neighbours. In Federal Republic of Nigeria (1988), culture comprises material, institutional, philosophical and creative aspects."

Read more: http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~mbolin/nwegbu-eze-azogwa.htm
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by kingston277(m): 10:01pm On Sep 17, 2014
Naturally they would refer to the superior culture of their advanced ancestors as "uncivilized"and "fetish". And backwards we continue to go.
Re: What Has Been The Effect Of Culturing Borrowing On Nigerian Culture? by saladhor(m): 7:09am On Sep 20, 2014
red101:

now you are getting my point.
culture is a WAY OF LIFE. It is your EVERYDAY existence.
if you no longer dance atilogun, then it is no longer part of your culture but a past history that you are remembering once in a while.
just like visiting a museum.
when culture changes, the old way of life becomes a part of history. We should remember our history but doesn't mean we shouldn't move forward and accept changes to our culture.

remember, your forefathers probably danced atilogun everyday. but today, it makes no sense. our culture has evolved.
in the future, we may have better technology and won't even need cars anymore. but once in a while, we might use it to remember our past history. doesn't mean we should start seeing change as a negative thing.

Well said. Why fuss about things you can't control?
"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." - Robert Frost

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Of The Yoruba Tribe Speaks The Most Fluent And Correct Yoruba Language? / What Are Your Beliefs On Traditional Medicine? / Why Do Yoruba Girls Not Mind Being 2nd, 3rd 4th And Even 5th Wives?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.