Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell (52876 Views)

7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. / 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary / 10 Words And Phrarses That Too Many People Say Incorrectly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Komedy(m): 11:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
Okay that will and would got me, I just seem to like using would a lot
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
golamike:
"Bear" you meant my oga? Just to be sure, for the sake of those of us who would want to use those lines anytime soon.
Thanks, my boss.

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Wolexyoshi(m): 11:34pm On Sep 16, 2014
What I'm trying to say is that even when the so called literate think they are speaking correct english, you hear them puting the word "oya" in their sentence. quote author=MissMeiya]

Oya is Yoruba, not English. [/quote]
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: Can you do mine? My third book is almost completed...If you're as good as you claim, I'll pay you for your time.

Lol, I can be overly critical and nitpicky, but I try not to interfere with the author's voice.

Sure. Send me a bit of it.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 16, 2014
Wolexyoshi: What I'm trying to say is that even when the so called literate think they are speaking correct english, you hear them puting the word "oya" in their sentence. [quote author=MissMeiya]

Oya is Yoruba, not English.

Oh. I don't like formers or people who laugh rudely at gbagauns. But I love pidgin. smiley

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:38pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Lol, I can be overly critical and nitpicky, but I try not to interfere with the author's voice.

Sure. Send me a bit of it.
Through?
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:39pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: God help me. Nothing thrills me like discussing this... I can't stand someone making grammatical blunders over and over...mba! I'll humbly try to correct him later, and suggest possible books that could help him... You thrill me, Meiya! lipsrsealed

LOOOL you charmer.

I was thinking about it, and I know why I am this way. My father used to correct us very sternly if we made any English mistakes.

"English is the only language you people speak!"

Lol.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

LOOOL you charmer.

I was thinking about it, and I know why I am this way. My father used to correct us very sternly if we made any English mistakes.

"English is the only language you people speak!"

Lol.
You are more like a "Chip of the Old Block"?
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:44pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: You are more like a "Chip of the Old Block"?

Oh, I absolutely am. I even look like my father lol. Except I am MUCH nicer cheesy

Daddy is so mean lol

Except with me cheesy Daddy's little princess hehehe
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by MEILYN(m): 11:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
golamike:
No harm meant my brother. I just made a simple observation. I'm a "learner" too, that's why I'm carefully following my "ogas " Missmeiya and emusmith. I'm sorry bro.
I wasn't offended bro. I was a little bit harsh. Could you please forgive my manners?
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
MEILYN: I wasn't offended bro. I was a little bit harsh. Could you please forgive my manners?

Oh, I love seeing politeness on Nairaland! Group hug!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:48pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: Through?

PM me. I just followed you
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by August17(m): 11:49pm On Sep 16, 2014
Using the word Unkept instead of Unkempt and vice versa..
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Oh, I absolutely am. I even look like my father lol. Except I am MUCH nicer cheesy

Daddy is so mean lol

Except with me cheesy Daddy's little princess hehehe
I was born and bred in Lagos, Ajegunle to be precise... I was born speaking pidgin...with many older ones who didn't know better, I looked to Melancholic Trait... That part of me taught me how to read books (not school books o)... You're certainly from another planet!
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by MEILYN(m): 11:51pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Oh, I love seeing politeness on Nairaland! Group hug!
Wish I could use punctuation like you do. I will dedicate my time to learning English grammar. Am just a new bie, In fact I am newer than ever.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:52pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

PM me. I just followed you
I'm right behind you, my lady.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:53pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: I was born and bred in Lagos, Ajegunle to be precise... I was born speaking pidgin...with many older ones who didn't know better, I looked to Melancholic Trait... That part of me taught me how to read books (not school books o)... You're certainly from another planet!

It really depends on the person one grows up looking up to. My dad was (and is) my hero. I am actually incapable of using slang naturally because I never used it--because I didn't want to disappoint him (lol can you imagine). I can only imitate my regional slang after much forethought.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Komedy(m): 11:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
advice and advise (one is a noun ,d other a verb)
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:54pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

It really depends on the person one grows up looking up to. My dad was (and is) my hero. I am actually incapable of using slang naturally because I never used it--because I didn't want to disappoint him (lol can you imagine). I can only imitate my regional slang after much forethought.
And where are you from?
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by MEILYN(m): 11:55pm On Sep 16, 2014
Komedy: advice and advise (one is a noun ,d other a verb)
Is that all you know? Lol
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by MEILYN(m): 11:56pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: And where are you from?
Nigeria but in diaspora I think..
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 16, 2014
Komedy: advice and advise (one is a noun ,d other a verb)
That's Right, Bro!
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 16, 2014
MEILYN: Wish I could use punctuation like you do. I will dedicate my time to learning English grammar. Am just a new bie, In fact I am newer than ever.

I wish I could think of a non-boring way to recommend for you. Just because I love grammar doesn't mean I don't know it's very dry lol.

Hmm... Just read a lot of quality books. That's the best way. But you have to be careful--make sure they are the kind of books that passed through a long editing process...

Foreign newspapers are a good way too.

You could join an email book club to encourage you to keep up the habit and learn how to analyze literature.

And whenever you have a question, Google it! I use Google all the time. I'm not perfect lol.

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 16, 2014
MEILYN: Nigeria but in diaspora I think..
Ok. I would really love to have this "convo" again...Your best friends brings out the best in you... cheesy
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Komedy(m): 12:00am On Sep 17, 2014
Sobrit: The topic as used is one of the demonstrations of our unpatriotism. Why would the op say commonly misspelt words by Nigerians. Are Nigerians the only people that misspell those words?. Nigerians are the most unpatriotic set u people i have seen. Google any thing bad online, u will see all sorts of things written by Nigerians about their own country and leaders.
Nigeria is not really as bad as we paint it.
.na lie ,Nigeria bad, don't try to paint it
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 17, 2014
emusmith: And where are you from?

Ah... I was avoiding that lol. I'm a New Yorker. Sigh, I get attacked sometimes on here when I reveal that.

So the "regional slang" I was referring is the African-American Vernacular, or "Ebonics". The NYC version, lol. I'm very good at imitating it! I just stumble over phrasing sometimes.

My brother can do it. He was way more social than I was growing up. I was a bookworm, and shy. Also, he doesn't idolize my dad the way I do.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by joywendy(f): 12:02am On Sep 17, 2014
Thank the heavens! Something sensible on the front page.

*Following*
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 12:03am On Sep 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

Ah... I was avoiding that lol. I'm a New Yorker. Sigh, I get attacked sometimes on here when I reveal that.

So the "regional slang" I was referring is the African-American Vernacular, or "Ebonics". The NYC version, lol. I'm very good at imitating it! I just stumble over phrasing sometimes.

My brother can do it. He was way more social than I was growing up. I was a bookworm, and shy. Also, he doesn't idolize my dad the way I do.
You didn't have to...Thanks anyway...
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 12:05am On Sep 17, 2014
MissMeiya:

Can we have this "convo" again? If you don't mind...
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by preciousMI1(f): 12:07am On Sep 17, 2014
occasionally not occassional
maintenance not maintance
occurrence not occurence
in fact not infact
Jeffrey not jefferey
harass not harrass
drunkenness not drunkeness
questionnaire not questionaire
camouflage –camoflage

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Solozzo(m): 12:07am On Sep 17, 2014
In fact not infact
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Komedy(m): 12:07am On Sep 17, 2014
I have seen concoction spelt as concotion a lot, then there's luggages and casted. Plural of luggage na still luggage, past tense of cast na still cast

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Francis Otunta Accused Of impregnating Girlfriend & Graduating Her In 3rd Year / NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers? / Hilarious But True Life Of A Nigerian University Student (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.