Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell (52874 Views)

7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. / 10 Words Nigerians Use That Are Not In The Dictionary / 10 Words And Phrarses That Too Many People Say Incorrectly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by ChuckD1(m): 10:08pm On Sep 16, 2014
"Am" instead of "I'm"

2 Likes

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by londoner: 10:13pm On Sep 16, 2014
@OP, I had a good laugh. We all sometimes make grammatical mistakes and have to go back to edit. It becomes an issue, when we don't realise that it is a mistake. I quite often make spelling mistakes, I must say.

You really hit the nail on the head, but for me it's the way common words are pronounced which is quite shocking.

I often wonder whether Nigerians know about the concept of silent letters, in common English words.

Especially, words like plumber, or bomb. The 'b' which should be silent, is instead pronounced.

I hate it soo much.....lol

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nmeri17: 10:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
hatux: The one I recently notice is some peeps using 'there' in place of 'their'... For crying out loud' they aren't the same...

liar!!! their boat the same tin angry undecided

Michael is also always misspelt as Micheal embarassed
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by sage2(m): 10:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
PoshGuy:

Good job mister!
Good job, mister!
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by londoner: 10:15pm On Sep 16, 2014
Nmeri17:

liar!!! their boat the same tin angry undecided

shocked shocked shocked undecided cry
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 16, 2014
Are you hearing me? WRONG. Of course he is. You only ask if he was deaf and you're praying for him to hear again.
Can you hear me? RIGHT!

How are you? I'm Fine isn't bad But the BEST RESPONSE IS ... Very Well, Thank you.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:22pm On Sep 16, 2014
Alright instead of all right
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 16, 2014
Sobrit: The topic as used is one of the demonstrations of our unpatriotism. Why would the op say commonly misspelt words by Nigerians. Are Nigerians the only people that misspell those words?. Nigerians are the most unpatriotic set u people i have seen. Google any thing bad online, u will see all sorts of things written by Nigerians about their own country and leaders.
Nigeria is not really as bad as we paint it.

Oh please. You are one of those Nigerians holding the country's progress with your overblown sense of pride. You cannot improve without criticism. Do you see anyone getting annoyed? Anyone who was guilty of the *uniquely Nigerian* errors took note and kept it moving. See yourself. Empty pride.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya: I'm a grammar nerd. I've been dying to say these things for so long.
Just like me? Ironically, I found out that most grammar "nerds" didn't study English as a course in College. Mine became worse that if I am interested in a girl (no matter how pretty), and I hear her make a grammatical blunder, almost immediately, my initial impetus for her begins to depreciate. (It's a challenge to me, for real). I believe, just like "animal scientists" are there to protect animal species from going into extinction...Some humans are also set apart to protect Spoken English from fazing out into thin air...when folks begin to mix L1 and L2 like bread and beans...#teamnotperfectbutpersistent#
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Youpele52: 10:25pm On Sep 16, 2014
97% of Nigerians misspell, mispronounce and confuse SALOON for SALON.

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:26pm On Sep 16, 2014
CyberEBOLA: You are quite pretty.
That pix isn't revealing enough...
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: Are you hearing me? WRONG. Of course he is. You only ask if he was deaf and you're praying for him to hear again.
Can you hear me? RIGHT!

How are you? I'm Fine isn't bad But the BEST RESPONSE IS ... Very Well, Thank you.

Oh, I actually have a possible explanation for this. I believe it's a direct translation of our mother languages. In my language, "Are you listening?" is literally translated as "You hear me?"

Change that to grammatically correct English and you get: "Are you hearing me?"
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by topearos(m): 10:27pm On Sep 16, 2014
[quote author=Nmeri17]

liar!!! their boat the same tin angry undecided[/quote
Hummnn! " Boat" , "tin".
Okay oo its BOth, Thing.
Sorry bro, they are not the same.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by adesexy(m): 10:30pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya: Ohhh this is one I HATE. Nigerians switch the words "would" and "will".

Example: I will like to visit.
Example: I would be there soon.

Will is indicative. Stating a FACT.
I will be there soon.

Would is subjunctive. Stating thoughts or beliefs, or hypothetical statements.
I would like to visit.

It makes me twitch inwardly whenever I see or hear it.
..when u will nt go to a good schl ehn...anyway u gat it right
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: Just like me? Ironically, I found out that most grammar "nerds" didn't study English as a course in College.

Lol! My field is STEM. I don't know why I like grammar so much. Sometimes I wake up with grammar questions that I have to google immediately.

It can make reading badly edited books very annoying. But I can turn it off on the internet. Lol this thread just allowed me turn it on.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 16, 2014
skyfall: The most rampant and worst one now is using something like Yoruba's (possessive) when they meant to write Yorubas (plural). Igbo's when they mean more than one Igbo person.

This is very embarrassing when even learned people use it.

I think the learned people who do it, do so consciously for clarity because using "Yorubas" and "Igbos" look awkward. And not in the possessive context. Yoruba and Igbo can be used as both singular and plural nouns, without the "s" at the back in plural context. So, I don't see anything wrong with that.

You don't see illiterates do that, do you?

Moreover, pluralising tribal names with non-English/non-Western origin that end with vowels with "s" always sound awkward.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by clemz88(m): 10:33pm On Sep 16, 2014
Tnx op I really learnt something
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by sage2(m): 10:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
Some are "fwends" instead of "friends", "kk" instead of "okay", "lego" instead of "let's go" and "wifes" instead of "wives".
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Olutola88(m): 10:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
cnnamoko: Even the post came with some flaws: Misspell and Misspelled? Someone please check it. I think its misspelt by Nigerians not misspelled
Misspelt is British while Misspelled is American
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Oh, I actually have a possible explanation for this. I believe it's a direct translation of our mother languages. In my language, "Are you listening?" is literally translated as "You hear me?"

I would go with the direct and correct English question. Can you hear me?
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by DikSin(m): 10:38pm On Sep 16, 2014
nwaobitex: educinformative grin

Next time, you may consider: EduMative. Alobamshockedgrin

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by sdavirus: 10:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya: Ohhh this is one I HATE. Nigerians switch the words "would" and "will".

Example: I will like to visit.
Example: I would be there soon.

Will is indicative. Stating a FACT.
I will be there soon.

Would is subjunctive. Stating thoughts or beliefs, or hypothetical statements.
I would like to visit.

It makes me twitch inwardly whenever I see or hear it.

To an extent, yea........but the most important thing is that "would" is the past tense of "will". And I also remember they are interchangeable in some sentences.

like........... "will/would you help me?"
in such situations, it's better to use "would", cos it is much more polite, and will is more authoritative.

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by pek(m): 10:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
Micheal instead of Michael. pisses me off!
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:42pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Lol! My field is STEM. I don't know why I like grammar so much. Sometimes I wake up with grammar questions that I have to google immediately.

It can make reading badly edited books very annoying. But I can turn it off on the internet. Lol this thread just allowed me turn it on.
I wish it were just books... Also speakers... It's not all about "fast talking"...Hope they are no tautologies when split wide open? I write and I know how many times I have to edit...Most of us are Melancholics (perfectionist)...
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by topearos(m): 10:43pm On Sep 16, 2014
Chimex388:
tank u o jare, sometimes these words 've formed a habit, more like instincts....i have hear.....sori....i have heard
"Tank ? ---thank
Okay oo
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:45pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

That's age long fight between L1 and L2... It's not meant to be. It's not.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Olutola88(m): 10:46pm On Sep 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Oh please. You are one of those Nigerians holding the country's progress with your overblown sense of pride. You cannot improve without criticism. Do you see anyone getting annoyed? Anyone who was guilty of the *uniquely Nigerian* errors took note and kept it moving. See yourself. Empty pride.
Truly, I see nothing bad about the OP saying: “Words that are commonly misspelt by Nigerians”. Nevertheless, I agree with his observation as to the fact that these words are not misspelt by only Nigerians, even many native english speakers are guilty

1 Like

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by emmabest2000(m): 10:46pm On Sep 16, 2014
Interesting !

Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by golamike: 10:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
Nice job @ poster.
Directors General instead of Director Generals, passers by instead of passer bys.
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by freecharles(m): 10:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
doubleking: Covenant not convenant
Recurrence not reocurrence

Guilty of d covenant mistake
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: That's age long fight between L1 and L2... It's not meant to be. It's not.

Not disputing its correctness, I just found the origin intriguing.

I also love etymology!

I'm such a nerd undecided
Re: 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell by Nobody: 10:50pm On Sep 16, 2014
emusmith: I wish it were just books... Also speakers... It's not all about "fast talking"...Hope they are no tautologies when split wide open? I write and I know how many times I have to edit...Most of us are Melancholics (perfectionist)...

I edit for writers for free lol that's how much I love it. I hate seeing errors in published works. It's ok for you, because you're a grammar nerd, but some writers need room in their minds for creating, not nitpicking over Oxford commas cheesy That's where I come in lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Update On ASUU Meeting With Federal Government (pics) / Francis Otunta Accused Of impregnating Girlfriend & Graduating Her In 3rd Year / NISDEBATE: Corruption in Nigeria who takes the blame: Leaders or the followers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.