Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,149 members, 7,953,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:30 PM

The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats - Properties (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats (51085 Views)

The Making Of The Port Harcourt "Duplex + 4 Flats" / The Making Of "The Port Harcourt Castle" / The Making Of The "Port Harcourt Mansion" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by spyder880(m): 6:57am On Jan 07, 2015
Updates. .....

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by kingdvd(m): 8:31am On Jan 07, 2015
Pls Oga spyder,

I have been following this thread and I am yet to see a developer that can mix and blend his time in strict supervision of his project and at the same time responding to all comments.
You are simply too much, God bless you

Question
How much will your architect design a simple 4 bedroom Duplex in PH.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by spyder880(m): 8:56am On Jan 07, 2015
kingdvd:
Pls Oga spyder,

I have been following this thread and I am yet to see a developer that can mix and blend his time in strict supervision of his project and at the same time responding to all comments.
You are simply too much, God bless you

Question
How much will your architect design a simple 4 bedroom Duplex in PH.

For a full design to fit your details, producing electrical, mechanical and architectural and structural drawings, he will charge N150,000. If he is working from an already built plan adaptation, it will be less than that. Thanks.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by kingdvd(m): 12:04pm On Jan 07, 2015
spyder880:

For a full design to fit your details, producing electrical, mechanical and architectural and structural drawings, he will charge N150,000. If he is working from an already built plan adaptation, it will be less than that. Thanks.

thank you Spyder,
i will call your line for more explanation.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by spyder880(m): 6:38am On Jan 08, 2015
This was as at yesterday morning, we have now closed all the short pillars on top and cast most with concrete.

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by spyder880(m): 7:40pm On Jan 08, 2015
From the top.......

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by Onakomaya: 12:45am On Jan 13, 2015
Hello house, I hope am not late to join the class. Good work u are doing here spyder.. I have immediately link my IT students and coppers with me on this forum.. I believe they will learn a lot here.. All u av done is professional on site.. But I av just one observation. The 9 inch hollow block at the foundation stage should have been filled with lean concrete no matter the design.. A place like rivers state is prone to heavy rainfall and long raining season within a year..all the same, is just an observation... Best regards.. Engr Gbenga from Kaduna..
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by mufutau55(m): 1:40am On Jan 13, 2015
Onakomaya:

But I av just one observation. The 9 inch hollow block at the foundation stage should have been filled with lean concrete no matter the design.. A place like rivers state is prone to heavy rainfall and long raining season within a year..all the same, is just an observation... Best regards.. Engr Gbenga from Kaduna..

Engr Gbenga, what is the effect of the DPC (German floor) laid on top of the foundation? I can see the holes of the foundation blocks being sealed with the mortar concreted. Look on Page 4-6. The foundation blocks were even covered when they were filling with the laterite sand, and cover was removed so that mortar concreted can fill it when they were doing the German floor. Could you see that?

Hajji M.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by spyder880(m): 5:43pm On Jan 13, 2015
We just completed the decking of the top of the kitchens in this house. This is not for the purpose of overhead tank stand. We just want to have a concrete deck to fire proof the kitchen. No need using PVC in a hot place like the kitchen.

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 13, 2015
spyder880:
We just completed the decking of the top of the kitchens in this house. This is not for the purpose of overhead tank stand. We just want to have a concrete deck to fire proof the kitchen. No need using PVC in a hot place like the kitchen.

I'm designing a house and I want a decking on the back of the bungalow.

1) Do I need pillars for a bungalow if I use 9 inch blocks on the outside walls and specific walls on the inside? House will never be a two story as I don't really care for that style.

2) If I don't need pillars, will the 9 inch blocks for a specific elevated patio area (18x36 feet) filled with concrete carry the slab? Or it's just a better idea to do pillars?

Remember that I engaged you previously (I think under my previous username) that I want to try alternative, but safe, building methods.

Thanks.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by spyder880(m): 8:31pm On Jan 13, 2015
CityNG:

I'm designing a house and I want a decking on the back of the bungalow.

1) Do I need pillars for a bungalow if I use 9 inch blocks on the outside walls and specific walls on the inside? House will never be a two story as I don't really care for that style.

2) If I don't need pillars, will the 9 inch blocks for a specific elevated patio area (18x36 feet) filled with concrete carry the slab? Or it's just a better idea to do pillars?

Remember that I engaged you previously (I think under my previous username) that I want to try alternative, but safe, building methods.

Thanks.

I think you need to show this building plans to a qualified person to make the judgement. Except I see the building plans it might be good for me to advice. But I can say on the face of it that you need the deck portion supported by columns rising from the foundation of the house. Water is a very heavy load and can damage a building is there are no adequate supports planned from the beginning.

1 Like

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 13, 2015
spyder880:

I think you need to show this building plans to a qualified person to make the judgement. Except I see the building plans it might be good for me to advice. But I can say on the face of it that you need the deck portion supported by columns rising from the foundation of the house. Water is a very heavy load and can damage a building is there are no adequate supports planned from the beginning.

Thanks my Oga.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by musteeee: 8:49am On Jan 15, 2015
Good morning
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by Onakomaya: 5:26pm On Jan 17, 2015
mufutau55:

Engr Gbenga, what is the effect of the DPC (German floor) laid on top of the foundation? I can see the holes of the foundation blocks being sealed with the mortar concreted. Look on Page 4-6. The foundation blocks were even covered when they were filling with the laterite sand, and cover was removed so that mortar concreted can fill it when they were doing the German floor. Could you see that?

Hajji M.

Hajji M, did you notice spyder constructed the DPC without Hard-Core stones.. I knw Spyder have his reasons for not including them after the Soil investigation.. Check the pictures u recommended well, u will notice spyder did not fill the foundation Wall with mortal as u claim, but with broken blocks. Moreso, this structure isn't a frame structure, which means the block wall are also carrying certain percentage of slab load( dead and imposed load) which they also transfer to foundation from the lower deck. The only support I see for this wall load is the external reinforce ground beams spyder introduced along the perimeter of the DPC. In conclusion, for best procedures and recommended practises, the need for filling of foundation block wall with lean concrete is necessary if the structure is not a framed structure like this on-going project... View of a structural Engineer.

1 Like

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by mufutau55(m): 12:56am On Jan 18, 2015
Onakomaya:

Hajji M, did you notice spyder constructed the DPC without Hard-Core stones.. I knw Spyder have his reasons for not including them after the Soil investigation.. Check the pictures u recommended well, u will notice spyder did not fill the foundation Wall with mortal as u claim, but with broken blocks. Moreso, this structure isn't a frame structure, which means the block wall are also carrying certain percentage of slab load (dead and imposed load) which they also transfer to foundation from the lower deck. The only support I see for this wall load is the external reinforce ground beams spyder introduced along the perimeter of the DPC. In conclusion, for best procedures and recommended practises, the need for filling of foundation block wall with lean concrete is necessary if the structure is not a framed structure like this on-going project... View of a structural Engineer.

Thank you Mr. Onakomaya. I was not commenting why the hardcore for the foundation was not filled. My observation was that if the concrete mortar was poured into that block holes, even with the broken blocks in some of the holes, the concrete should disintegrate into the holes and seal the empty holes.
You are right, I have seen where hard-core stones were used and I have several that the hard-cores were not used... I guessed the decision will decided by the builder and the Engineer. Please be aware that I am still learning too, that is why some of my comments to him also have questions. Thanks for your contribution.

Hajji M.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by diehard(m): 1:23pm On Jan 19, 2015
What is the long term effect on the structure if the foundation blocks are not filled (either with broken blocks/stone or lean cement)?
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by blackedwin: 8:24pm On Jan 19, 2015
How much for 30 Tons of 1/2" granite delivery to ph
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by spyder880(m): 8:49pm On Jan 19, 2015
blackedwin:
How much for 30 Tons of 1/2" granite delivery to ph

Between N230,000 to N245,000. Full load.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by ginaaskia4: 11:21am On Jan 21, 2015
Can any borehole driller help me out with this answer. We call a driller to drill a bore hole, he came with 10 drilling pile, but he only insert 7 pile of 4" inch pile inside the depth, but the last sample of 3-8 is not pure white. did he do a very good job?
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by kingdvd(m): 9:55am On Jan 28, 2015
whr is spyder!
has this thread been closed?
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by Moana(f): 9:08am On Feb 07, 2015
kingdvd:
whr is spyder!
lol yes it has been closed, the mods promise to open it again in 2035
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by SomaliElephant: 7:34pm On Sep 02, 2015
kingdvd:

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by PropTrader: 9:45pm On Sep 02, 2015
[quote author=SomaliElephant post=37605889][/quote]

I like the color combo.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by mufutau55(m): 1:00am On Sep 03, 2015
PropTrader:

I like the color combo.

Very good and cool... not shouting colors.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by donbuchi1(m): 6:27pm On Jan 13, 2016
nice finish
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by Chekitaut: 2:55am On Jan 23, 2016
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by nwaorlu: 5:04pm On Apr 08, 2017
koman:

Agreed,
Our tillers need to upgrade but the importers need to bring in the spacers first.
Even without spacers, some tillers are delivering a near perfect finish installation.

Can I get the number of the tiler that did this wall. Excellent.
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by FEGEITOK: 12:25am On Nov 28, 2022
spyder880:
BUILDING METHODS AND THEIR COST IMPLICATIONS.[/b]

It is important I clear this issue so we can understand how different seemingly small decisions can either increase or reduce your spending in the cost of building houses.

[b]Structural specifications

Your building plan is a very important document, in it all relevant information about how your building is supposed to built is detailed. These plans are prepared by professionals and interpreted by builders to implement the blueprint for your building construction. You will see all required building materials, specified by size and type. Builders are expected to follow these specifications as they build but Nigeria being a corrupt country, dishonest builders can shortchange home owners by reducing the specified types and sizes, building your house with something less than what is specified.

They do this a lot in blocks, the width of the block will immediately define the size of the pillars in the house, especially internal columns. This will save some money but what about the structure, is it still as sound as was specified? Supposing you decide to add more floors to the building in the future, will this same columns carry the house? 6" blocks will give you 6" columns, and 9" blocks will give you 9" columns.

Another area of interest is the actual size of the rods used, if I start with rod quality, it will be a very long essay, but let us just concern ourselves with the reinforcement details only. Some builders swap 16mm rods and use 12mm instead. This might not be good enough as the structural engineers calculations about load bearing will just be defeated, and when a building is bearing more load than is specified, disaster is just around the corner. I have seen some tricks being played in the building industry, some builders will use Y12 rods where Y16 is specified and then use Y10 in places where Y12 were specified. This is like taking an under dose of medication, and is a danger. I wish we have enforcement teams going from site to site to see the building quality, not some greedy officials asking for bribe even before entering the site.

In rods, do you know that some builders can space out the mat of the decking, making them 8 x 8 inches in space, against the building plan specifications? Some are more crafty, using either a 7x7 combination or 6x7. But these methods will only reduce the integrity of the building and can weaken the structure. Even in an era where we are supposed to be adding to the materials to compensate for the lowered quality of building materials where, again, nobody in government cares to inspect the manufacturing factories.

Your column width comes next, It amuses me whenever I give a cost update and another person says its expensive, even without taking time to consider what was done in our projects, I have a way of doing things, and it must adhere to stringent quality control. There is no need for me reduce the beam height just to save myself a few hundred thousand naira. What about my conscience, how will I ever sleep at night if the building develops a problem later? We should strive to make money, but when it concerns something as serious as people's lives, we ought to be a lot more careful.

I thank Allen0000 for bringing up the argument about the cost, how else would I have gone into details to explain things, you all saw me using 6 rods instead of 4 in the columns and you didn't call and ask me "Spyder you are wasting money" grin grin But some didn't know it will all add up to the total. Please feel free to make your suggestions and criticisms, but don't let it be a personal attack. Attacks give us power, but it might offend the sensibilities of our readers, lets keep things calm and civil. you never know who is reading what you write. I believe N7.1m is a very good price for the level of this house, and will continue to build it well. What we offer is not just building services, we also offer you rest of mind.

In summary I will say that a building that is well built is a much safer investment. Make sure your builders understand the intricacies of building a house and have the integrity to follow standard procedures to build a better house, by so doing, we are building a better country.

Thank you my people.

&
Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by GloriousGbola: 12:27am On Nov 28, 2022
spyder880:
BUILDING METHODS AND THEIR COST IMPLICATIONS.[/b]

It is important I clear this issue so we can understand how different seemingly small decisions can either increase or reduce your spending in the cost of building houses.

[b]Structural specifications

Your building plan is a very important document, in it all relevant information about how your building is supposed to built is detailed. These plans are prepared by professionals and interpreted by builders to implement the blueprint for your building construction. You will see all required building materials, specified by size and type. Builders are expected to follow these specifications as they build but Nigeria being a corrupt country, dishonest builders can shortchange home owners by reducing the specified types and sizes, building your house with something less than what is specified.

They do this a lot in blocks, the width of the block will immediately define the size of the pillars in the house, especially internal columns. This will save some money but what about the structure, is it still as sound as was specified? Supposing you decide to add more floors to the building in the future, will this same columns carry the house? 6" blocks will give you 6" columns, and 9" blocks will give you 9" columns.

Another area of interest is the actual size of the rods used, if I start with rod quality, it will be a very long essay, but let us just concern ourselves with the reinforcement details only. Some builders swap 16mm rods and use 12mm instead. This might not be good enough as the structural engineers calculations about load bearing will just be defeated, and when a building is bearing more load than is specified, disaster is just around the corner. I have seen some tricks being played in the building industry, some builders will use Y12 rods where Y16 is specified and then use Y10 in places where Y12 were specified. This is like taking an under dose of medication, and is a danger. I wish we have enforcement teams going from site to site to see the building quality, not some greedy officials asking for bribe even before entering the site.

In rods, do you know that some builders can space out the mat of the decking, making them 8 x 8 inches in space, against the building plan specifications? Some are more crafty, using either a 7x7 combination or 6x7. But these methods will only reduce the integrity of the building and can weaken the structure. Even in an era where we are supposed to be adding to the materials to compensate for the lowered quality of building materials where, again, nobody in government cares to inspect the manufacturing factories.

Your column width comes next, It amuses me whenever I give a cost update and another person says its expensive, even without taking time to consider what was done in our projects, I have a way of doing things, and it must adhere to stringent quality control. There is no need for me reduce the beam height just to save myself a few hundred thousand naira. What about my conscience, how will I ever sleep at night if the building develops a problem later? We should strive to make money, but when it concerns something as serious as people's lives, we ought to be a lot more careful.

I thank Allen0000 for bringing up the argument about the cost, how else would I have gone into details to explain things, you all saw me using 6 rods instead of 4 in the columns and you didn't call and ask me "Spyder you are wasting money" grin grin But some didn't know it will all add up to the total. Please feel free to make your suggestions and criticisms, but don't let it be a personal attack. Attacks give us power, but it might offend the sensibilities of our readers, lets keep things calm and civil. you never know who is reading what you write. I believe N7.1m is a very good price for the level of this house, and will continue to build it well. What we offer is not just building services, we also offer you rest of mind.

In summary I will say that a building that is well built is a much safer investment. Make sure your builders understand the intricacies of building a house and have the integrity to follow standard procedures to build a better house, by so doing, we are building a better country.

Thank you my people.

obligatory

we dont hope to see it, but this is what corner cutting can lead to

imagine if the building had stood until the tenants started moving in.

Re: The Port Harcourt Luxury Flats by FEGEITOK: 12:34am On Nov 28, 2022
GloriousGbola:

obligatory

we dont hope to see it, but this is what corner cutting can lead to

imagine if the building had stood until the tenants started moving in.

I am using one part cement to 2 parts sand to 3 parts aggregate to make a new floor at my house after hacking out the former floor, a neighbor was screaming are you building a pillar? I said no. He said what are you building? i said floor, he said wow wow wow, the mixture is too rich!

Even the laborers were complaining that there is too much coarse aggregate. I kinda understand why some people can't key into mass-produced housing.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

"The Collapsed Lagos Island Building Had Been Marked For Demolition Last Year" / Eko Atlantic Newest Updates In Pictures / Estimating Building Costs, One Step At A Time.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.