Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,036 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

The Effects Of Overprotective Parenting - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Effects Of Overprotective Parenting (1177 Views)

Sexualization Of Children: Parents Have Lost It In Parenting / Why Are Fathers Overprotective Of Their daughters? / Why Are Nigerian Parents So Overprotective? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Effects Of Overprotective Parenting by UmecheMoses(m): 10:37am On Sep 20, 2014
Take a good look at our society today and most especially at youths who are on the verge of destruction most especially the morally debase ones and those who are debauched.
You will discover that these people are largely products of homes where parents control to a large extent the entirety of the child's life.
Today I write to upcoming parents and those already in the business of Parenting. Please handle your children in the most appropriate manner. stop forcing your child to be an extension of your life, that you didn't go to med school, become a pilot or achieve a set goals does not give you the right to force your child to become what you failed to achieve.
Let kids develop their abilities while you maintain a prayerful, advisory and strong moral background for such kids. And for parents who do not give their kids any breathing space, you want them to brush their teeth with certain strokes, brush their hair in a certain way, lace their shoes the way you dictate, watch out, you'll end up raising a plebian of a child who will always never be able to make any firm decision in his or her life, moreso, such a child is a willing tool in the hands of manipulators.
I was a victim of such but I attained some degree of freedom in the university and began reading books on personality development till I mustered some degree of self confidence. I do not blame parents who indulge in this for they usually think that all they do is in the best interest of their kids but trust me, these kids are at their worst when faced with real life situations.
This may not have come out the way I planned but I hope you do understand my message.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Effects Of Overprotective Parenting by makazona(m): 10:58am On Sep 20, 2014
good point i must say.

i have always adviced parents to give their children the space to develop.

1 Like

Re: The Effects Of Overprotective Parenting by Stillfire: 2:36pm On Sep 20, 2014
My parents were certainly overprotective, but who can blame them. Nigeria is morally corrupt. I used to complain and deep down I still dislike that overprotective quality to them, but they've managed to give birth to responsible citizens of the world. So I guess they did something right. My siblings and I have the tightest bond on earth that I don't even keep friends outside my sisters. kiss I don't have the emotional willpower to extend to strangers. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Effects Of Overprotective Parenting by UmecheMoses(m): 5:17pm On Sep 20, 2014
Lols, we definately cannot blame oir parents because they probably dealt with us the way their parents dealt with them. One thing though is this, morality must never be compromised and kids must find genuine expression.
Imagine a kid whose design is to be a great musician, if his or her parents force him outside this path, forget it, the kid will grow up frustrated.
Little wonder why we have several medical doctors gifted in music, or architects who should have ended up as good painters.
For parents, it's always a win win situation, so they think but for the child, money may not bring him satisfaction until he can do that which his soul is wired to do.
Re: The Effects Of Overprotective Parenting by mumumugu(m): 7:03pm On Sep 20, 2014
my dad made me a mumu
my mum made me a muguu

now i am mumumugu

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Award Winning Wedding Dance Step. / The Weird Way Your Birth Month Affects Your Mood / Your Mother-in-law Did This To Your Son. What Will You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.