Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,554 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ (7369 Views)

What If Women Were The Breadwinners ? / Female Breadwinners Lament We Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’, Yet We Can’t Di / 3-Day-Old Amara Chiedozie Learns To Feed Herself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 20, 2014
8years undecided and he is cheating? What is she still doing in that marriage sef? Make him pack and go back to his village grin

4 Likes

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 20, 2014
crackhaus:
Really Sophy, I can't believe you would ask me this...however, going by your antecedents on discussions regarding marriage, I can't say I'm surprised.

If I'm reading you right, and although you didn't type it...I'm inclined to presume that you associate the 'head of a household' to whoever brings in the most cheddar or whomever is the sole breadwinner.

If that's your stance, then we can't deliberate on this further.

As a Head of a family, are you not to PROVIDE for your family? If your wife earns more than you do, does that mean you should leave all financial responsibilities to her? I'm not focusing on who earns more. I am focusing on who carries out the responsibilities of a Head. I can earn more than my husband but that doess not mean i must be the Head. A true Head carries out responsibilities inspite of what he earns and makes sure he is the driving force in the home. His wife may choose to support as a partner that she is but he the Head takes charge and does not leave his responsibilities for his wife to carry. That is the mistake most men make when they see that their wives earn more. They sit down and leave everything for their wives to do.

3 Likes

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 20, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
Ok...now I understand why your school of thought comes out very aggressive.

The Christian family Organogram :God the Father - God The Son - God the Holy Spirit - Husband - Wife - Children.
It's the responsibility of the man to provide leadership (1Corin 11:3)
-train the kids (prov 22:6)
-provide for the family (1Tim 5: 8 )

...but no matter how things may turn around, that Organogram set by God, shouldn't be changed. A man remains the head of the family, the woman may be the financial head...etc...BUT...she isn't the head of the family (Submission- Eph 5:22-24)

How come you quoted Tim 5:8 and did not see this- But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

3 Likes

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 4:40pm On Sep 20, 2014
BABE3:

So the head must provide every single basic necessities of life in the home; You say the man should typically play this role; so of what use are you in the home as a wife, sophy? cheesy

The Head is to provide. that certainly means he is to provide a larger share of the basic necessities. As a wife, i am to be his partner. In cases where his financial status isnt adequate to to foot certain bills, then i can come in as a partner.
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 20, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
Ok...now I understand why your school of thought comes out very aggressive.

The Christian family Organogram :God the Father - God The Son - God the Holy Spirit - Husband - Wife - Children.
It's the responsibility of the man to provide leadership (1Corin 11:3)
-train the kids (prov 22:6)
-provide for the family (1Tim 5: 8 )

...but no matter how things may turn around, that Organogram set by God, shouldn't be changed. A man remains the head of the family, the woman may be the financial head...etc...BUT...she isn't the head of the family (Submission- Eph 5:22-24)

These women are still trying hard to put up a good picture to people around them, pampering the man, maybe that's why they are so comfortable lazing about.
There is the kind of 'polite insult' they should be giving him, that would make him sit up.

Well, im focusing on who carries out the role of the Head. To me, roles are what define who you are. Every position has responsibilities attached and if you are not handling them as supposed to be done, then you are not that position. Thank God, the bible says anyone who does not provide for his family is worse than an infidel. That is a very serious thing to say and put to heart. That means the role is the most important factor here and not the position. Men who brag about being heads must focus on the role attached to it rather than just focus on the position. You must play that role of being the Head in order to be recognised as the Head. THE HEAD IS TO PROVIDE. Kpomkwem.

1 Like

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by crackhaus: 4:52pm On Sep 20, 2014
Sophyrocks:

As a Head of a family, are you not to PROVIDE for your family? If your wife earns more than you do, does that mean you should leave all financial responsibilities to her? I'm not focusing on who earns more. I am focusing on who carries out the responsibilities of a Head. I can earn more than my husband but that doess not mean i must be the Head. A true Head carries out responsibilities inspite of what he earns and makes sure he is the driving force in the home. His wife may choose to support as a partner that she is but he the Head takes charge and does not leave his responsibilities for his wife to carry. That is the mistake most men make when they see that their wives earn more. They sit down and leave everything for their wives to do.
You're contradicting your position.
What are you saying exactly? Is it that you believe whoever shoulders the financial responsibilities assumes headship or is it that a man is always the head regardless of who is the breadwinner going by the first emboldened bit? undecided

For the second emboldened bit, are you no longer 'all for equality' in marriage? What's up with the 'may' condition on a wife when it comes to supporting her husband?

What about a full time househusband, are you saying he is no longer the head of his house because he adds no financial responsibility?

1 Like

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 20, 2014
andromida:

How come you quoted Tim 5:8 and did not see this- But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

Younglady, did I argue with the fact that the man is an 'infidel'?
I only said he is still the 'head' of the family.

Ok, I get your point @ Sophyrocks. You're right though, I'm only looking @ it from the Christian side, but Christianity aside, the guy no try @all.
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 20, 2014
crackhaus:
You're contradicting your position.
What are you saying exactly? Is it that you believe whoever shoulders the financial responsibilities assumes headship or is it that a man is always the head regardless of who is the breadwinner going by the emboldened? undecided

No I am not contradicting myself. Read slowly. The Head is to provide. A wife is to complement/be his partner. A man who deliberately sits down, does nothing and leaves major financial responsibilities for his wife is not playing the role of the Head. You are to provide a larger share financially as the Head. That is your role. TO PROVIDE. It is only when your financial status is incapable of solving other problems that your wife can be a partner. As the Head, you are the person who should take major financial responsibilities.

1 Like

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by pickabeau1: 5:13pm On Sep 20, 2014
Sophyrocks:

No I am not contradicting myself. Read slowly. The Head is to provide. A wife is to complement/be his partner. A man who deliberately sits down, does nothing and leaves major financial responsibilities for his wife is not playing the role of the Head. You are to provide a larger share financially as the Head. That is your role. TO PROVIDE. It is only when your financial status is incapable of solving other problems that your wife can be a partner. As the Head, you are the person who should take major financial responsibilities.

What if the man is providing say 30 per cent...is he still the head

So are u saying being a husband is all about provision

Why then do u castigate fathers who provide but are not always around
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2014
These "head discussions" make me think that people don't have heads.

2 Likes

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Ok, I get your point @ Sophyrocks. You're right though, I'm only looking @ it from the Christian side, but Christianity aside, the guy no try @all.

Well, he is still the Head to you but not to me. Bible say 'He is worse than an infidel'. It would have been diffferent if the men in the op made efforts to provide for their families. Making an effort is better than sitting down and allowing your wife to play your role for you.

1 Like

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Emmalot121(m): 5:17pm On Sep 20, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Please define the role of the Head of a family. ANYBODY WHO PLAYS THAT ROLE IN THE HOME, MALE OR FEMALE, IS THE HEAD. As a man who calls himself the head, are you to sit down and allow your wife play your role for you?
Equality is not in the natural order of things, and the crusade to make everyone equal in every respect (except before the law) is certain to have disastrous consequences.—Murray Rothbard sad

1 Like

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Emmalot121(m): 5:20pm On Sep 20, 2014
pickabeau1:

What if the man is providing say 30 per cent...is he still the head

So are u saying being a husband is all about provision

Why then do u castigate fathers who provide but are not always around
Equality is not in the natural order of things, and the crusade to make everyone equal in every respect (except before the law) is certain to have disastrous consequences.—Murray Rothbard
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 20, 2014
coogar:

how come men don't cry out that they slave to feed their housewives. must women moan over everything? when women were asked to sit at home so men would bring the bacon - they screamed out that they are being marginalised or discriminated against.

now men are taking the backseat so that women can do what they have always wanted to do & yet they are still screaming that they are slaving to feed their husbands. which is which? feminism fought for 50 years to put women in this position, it would be heartbreaking if women are still not satisfied.

So,the tables are being turned now....but in a different way, the men are taking a backseat, cheating on the women who are doing what they should be doing and even getting violent with them....

1 Like

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 20, 2014
Emmalot121: Equality is not in the natural order of things, and the crusade to make everyone equal in every respect (except before the law) is certain to have disastrous consequences.—Murray Rothbard sad

Equality, to me, is all about 'doing unto others what you would like them to do unto you'.

1 Like

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by coogar: 5:24pm On Sep 20, 2014
iwakolewa:
So,the tables are being turned now....but in a different way, the men are taking a backseat, cheating on the women who are doing what they should be doing and even getting violent with them....

and who told you housewives back then didn't cheat on their husbands? where was potiphar when his wife was harassing young joseph? grin
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Emmalot121(m): 5:34pm On Sep 20, 2014
carefreewannabe: These "head discussions" make me think that people don't have heads.

I doubt the quality of your brain. angry

5 Likes

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 20, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

You went with the biblical POV and apparently the bible points the head Must provide not only as a husband,father or son where parents can no longer provide for themselves but also as a sign of faith in God once he stops providing he has denied his faith. The scriptures holds the man very responsible for his household.

Just keeping it balanced in terms of headship.

1 Like

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 20, 2014
coogar:

and who told you housewives back then didn't cheat on their husbands? where was potiphar when his wife was harassing young joseph? grin

that was back then tongue
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Emmalot121(m): 5:38pm On Sep 20, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Equality, to me, is all about 'doing unto others what you would like them to do unto you'.
We are not saying the same thing.
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by coogar: 5:40pm On Sep 20, 2014
iwakolewa:
that was back then tongue

nothing has changed....an idle mind is a workshop of the devil. if a good looking man is left at home to become a house-husband, then one should expect housewives in that area to form some sort of covalent bonding with him. grin cheesy
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Emmalot121(m): 5:41pm On Sep 20, 2014
andromida:

Never mind that dude.No wonder Julius Caesar said "All bad precedents begin with justifiable measures."
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:41pm On Sep 20, 2014
Emmalot121: We are not saying the same thing.

Exactly. I know.
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 20, 2014
coogar:

nothing has changed....an idle mind is a workshop of the devil. if a good looking man is left at home to become a house-husband, then one should expect housewives in that area to form some sort of covalent bonding with him. grin cheesy

shocked shocked shocked shocked that thought is evil grin grin grin
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 20, 2014
Emmalot121: I doubt the quality of your brain. angry

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 5:52pm On Sep 20, 2014
andromida:

You went with the biblical POV and apparently the bible points the head Must provide not only as a husband,father or son where parents can no longer provide for themselves but also as a sign of faith in God once he stops providing he has denied his faith. The scriptures holds the man very responsible for his household.

Just keeping it balanced in terms of headship.
But the scripture never said if the man doesn't provide he is no more the head. It only said 'he is worse than an infidel'
Except you know where it said, if he can't provide, he should be displaced as the head?
Pls tell me, I am open to learning on this particular issue...lol.
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by thandii1: 6:05pm On Sep 20, 2014
Stillfire: The roles have really not been defined in these households. The man still thinks he's the head. The man must willingly accept his role as a househusband and the wife as the head of the household. The head of the household has to be firm on how money should be spent. The woman should not complain if the husband takes care of the home, the kids, cooks, and makes the house presentable. If you lose your job, kindly make yourself useful on the home front. That is why it takes two to make a marriage. When one falls, the roles can be reversed.

Ditto...

Everyone's hands should be on deck. Each person must have a role to play be it financially, domestically, spiritually. Etc.
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by thandii1: 6:08pm On Sep 20, 2014
tpia1: More females are financially empowered these days, so this is going to be a common scenario at some point.

In olden times the men would have had their farms or other endeavours.

However, the women mentioned should weigh their options- gigolos also don't come free.

In addition, the men ( husbands) should at least not allow satan to destroy their homes with all this cheating.

It is becoming common already, some just choose to close their eyes to the realities of today, but that doesn't change the fact that it is what it is.
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 20, 2014
Well, on this issue, I have since made up my mind that I will NEVER marry a woman who earns more money than I do. I will rather marry a housewife and work hard to fend for her and the family. My reasons are not far fetched. It is of no use for me to marry a woman who earns so much money but sees her financial contributions to the household as out of place or doing the man a big favour, hence goes about lamenting to world how she has been fending for the family.
It is better for a man to marry a housewife, work hard to provide her needs and put her in her place when she misbehaves.
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by aderonila18: 6:14pm On Sep 20, 2014
how come men don't cry out that they slave to feed their housewives. must women moan over everything? when women were asked to sit at home so men would bring the bacon - they screamed out that they are being marginalised or discriminated against.

now men are taking the backseat so that women can do what they have always wanted to do & yet they are still screaming that they are slaving to feed their husbands. which is which? feminism fought for 50 years to put women in this position, it would be heartbreaking if women are still not satisfied.

The difference is that when a man pays the bills the woman takes care of the children and the household so at least the work is divided and both parties bring something to the table. The problem the men whose wives pay the bills is that they don't help out with the children or the household. It's unfair to expect the person who went to work all day to fend for the family to be the same to come home and take care of the kids and cook while the lazy man seats around doing nothing all day. No one can be happy in a relationship where you are the only doing everything

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by phabulous88(m): 6:24pm On Sep 20, 2014
Sophyrocks:

I agree with your submission except the ones highlighted. Marriage is a collaboration between two parties who share like visions. When one party is down, the other party should (not may) support the down party. If it wasn't so, we wouldn't have the 'for better for worse' in marriage vows.
Re: Female Breadwinners Lament 'we Slave To Feed Our ‘househusbands’ by thandii1: 6:24pm On Sep 20, 2014
coogar:

how come men don't cry out that they slave to feed their housewives.

Here on nairaland, housewives used to be e-battered severely and when they come running to nl, they are told they deserve it because they do not earn for a living. In the real world too, when being housewives used to be more common, many were, oppressed, cheated on and treated like slaves. Even their kids were not left out of it, the reason women have been striving for empowerment for years, to stop the oppression and gain some self worth.

Also, in the case of housewives, they do their roles religiously ; take care of the children, the husband, the home in general, they are submissive to their masters, so why will the masters cry out. With the househusbands, they want to spend, be fed but useless domestically. They don't want to be submissive cheesy.. If these new generation husbands aka househusbands were domestically useful and submissive like their housewives counterpart, the women will not complain na

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Can I Tell My Neighbor To Leave Me Alone? / Is It A Womans Duty To Greet A Man "Good Morning" / I Need To Deal With My Brother-in-law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.