Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,006 members, 7,953,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:02 AM

Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities (38069 Views)

FG Moves To Regulate Fees Charged By Tertiary Institutions / Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Varsities / List Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by sebali: 3:44pm On Sep 21, 2014
lacreamieboie:
and you will cater for all the running bills Jeez!! I just don't get u!

If u cant, then support an existing institution......u must not own ur own
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by blowjohn(m): 3:44pm On Sep 21, 2014
kennygee: I am a Christian and a born again one at that. There is no where in the bible that the church was a money making venture. Was Oyedepo's education expensive? Most of the men of their generation enjoyed scholarships self. To me, the church should give out, instead of competing with the world. A Church university that cannot be accessed by more than half its congregation has lost it.

And what if the skul wasn't built in d first place? Won't d congregation stil send their wards to skul? Besides in life gud things r generally expensive, so why d noise?

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by laurel03(m): 3:45pm On Sep 21, 2014
A friend of my use to call Nigeria Pastors as Yahoo boys using micro phone to obtain money.. Poor people will donate money to build schools for church and their children will not even smell the school. Me no dey for pastor things again.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by sarutobie(m): 3:46pm On Sep 21, 2014
The example he used was a wrong analogy (in a way)..but apart from that, EDUCATION IS EXPENSIVE...and quality education even more expensive. just because the federal and state universities are heavily subsidised doesn't mean it is any less expensive.Even at that, some state schools charge upto 200k per session despite the funds pumped into them by the government and even from their internal generated revenue.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by cole265(m): 3:48pm On Sep 21, 2014
olaeffect:

God bless you.

Billions of our money is getting embezzled every day, we are not saying sh*t. But when it is church money that people gave of their own free will and will continue to give, we all come out with strength and agility to attack.
Please lets go and look at this year's budget for education and let's see if we got value for "our money".

Some of us don't even reason that the wealth of this country belongs to us all, but a myopic few have kidnapped the wealth of all. I rather we talk about what our government is talking about education, it is not by force to attend private university.

Same, same, exactly is now happening in the church and that has made the outside/ govt. Less strange.
The church property is not distinguished from the over seer's / founder's property. God knows we shout, cry and frown at corrupt government practices of embezzlement and their not doing enough, especially in the education sector. As a result, they are becoming more cautious and at least, sometimes give explanation.
But for church Papas to use congregation (both poor and rich) money for further self enrichment, without consideration for the poor just like the govt will do, is the bone of contention.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Nobody: 3:49pm On Sep 21, 2014
We'll they say soup when sweet na beta moni kill am.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by nijanigga: 3:49pm On Sep 21, 2014
Celepope: Many Nigerians just like condemning anything church perhaps it is based on poverty.You guys should cut them some slack.I am not taking side with this man but he is not far from the truth.Most private University even in the US owned by churches are also expensive.A good example is Oral Roberts University.I have not come across where the owners of the religious Universities forced anyone to attend their school.It is by choice.Some will soon start complaining that his members can't attend his school.Funny enough many of them are not complaining so why are you guys bothered?If you think you have the money then your can send your kids there but if not you can sure look else where i.e Adekunle Ajasin University and other.Anyways even the useless state Universities in Nigeria are getting expensive daily without any meaningful infrastructure and wack administration so you guys should ponder on the difference between both.
This one is thinking with his a-n-u-s ,bringing US and stupidly supporting the money "MOG" In US you can fund your education in many ways, including taking loan,grants e.t.c plus purchasing power, which is not available in Nigeria.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by sebali: 3:50pm On Sep 21, 2014
sarutobie: The example he used was a wrong analogy (in a way)..but apart from that, EDUCATION IS EXPENSIVE...and quality education even more expensive. just because the federal and state universities are heavily subsidised doesn't mean it is any less expensive.Even at that, some state schools charge upto 200k per session despite the funds pumped into them by the government and even from their internal generated revenue.

Nobody is disputing d fact dat education is xpensive bt churches are suppose to ameliorate tins like dis and not make their's evn more xpensive....THATS THE POINT HERE
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by proffemi: 3:50pm On Sep 21, 2014
rill: He prolly thinks everyone is a millionaire

Not necessarily.
You guys should reflect longer on issues, rather than reaching for the simplest explanation that supports your misconceptions about the subject.
I'm not here to defend Oyedepo. My views on his particular "brand" of Christianity are not particularly complimentary. However, one thing about the man has become crystal clear: he courts excellence in whatever he does(at least he tries hard to project this image).

Operating a university is very expensive business. Whether a church has any reason to float a university or not, I cannot say. But having decided to own one (or two), the most important question is: should he go for a top-notch university, or go for a low-cost, affordable university (hint: there's no such thing!). Whatever else you say about Covenant University, you have to admit that they are trying extra hard to be a top-notch institution. Even though there does tend to be verbiage, there can be no doubt that the university is run under a clear vision (arguably more so than any other Nigerian university).

I believe the big question is whether Winner's members can afford to send kids there. I don't think the university has a student size of more than 10,000.
So are there 10,000 Winners Chapel households in Nigeria that can afford to send their kids to Covenant? Of course. I'd say even up to 50,000.
Does the university have to take all kids from Winners' homes? Of course not.
Is it bad for publicity that given the country's per-capita income, many families in the church cannot afford to send their kids there? Yes, but if you've been listening to various debates on this topic, you'll know that the church gives scholarships for some such kids.

So what's the real argument here?

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by sebali: 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2014
It blew, it struck Oyakhilome; it blew again it struck Ayo; it blew again and yet again struck T.b Joshua.

COMING SOON; it well blow again and strike again.....pastors be warned
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by lacreamieboie(m): 3:54pm On Sep 21, 2014
sebali:

If u cant support an existing institution......u must not own ur own
No matter how much they try to subsidize it... U still can't afford it!
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by proffemi: 3:57pm On Sep 21, 2014
sebali: Nobody is disputing d fact dat education is xpensive bt churches are suppose to ameliorate tins like dis and not make their's evn more xpensive....THATS THE POINT HERE

A church that decides to operate a below-par university is a disgrace (my opinion). They should either do a good job, or steer the hell clear of university ownership.

In Oyedepo's case, it appears that a driving passion for him, is to show that a world class university can be operated in Nigeria. I may not support his ownership of jets and his opulent lifestyle, but on this issue of Covenant University - once we get beyond the initial debate about whether he should own a university at all - he has done fantastically well.

My opinion sir.

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by udemzyudex(m): 3:58pm On Sep 21, 2014
What is this one saying sef...

463b on recharge card like say na only one person dey spend such amount...

2 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by cole265(m): 3:59pm On Sep 21, 2014
blowjohn:

And what if the skul wasn't built in d first place? Won't d congregation stil send their wards to skul? Besides in life gud things r generally expensive, so why d noise?

Now that the school is built, (with members tithe and offering) it should be made affordable to at least most of its members.
Now, they should be thinking of building hospitals too because the church has the were with all to do so. Moreover, this is what the church teaches-charity. Private individuals who gets no donation do this and more.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by sarutobie(m): 3:59pm On Sep 21, 2014
sebali:

Nobody is disputing d fact dat education is xpensive bt churches are suppose to ameliorate tins like dis and not make their's evn more xpensive....THATS THE POINT HERE
dude dont be naive, wasnt it on nairaland fp that some buffoon posted a thread on why not to go to a private university? and the reasons he gave was soo moronic
.you guys want the private universities to offer the same quality of education nationwide and even worldwide but in the same breath want them to cut down prices?? how then do they pay teachers, build hostels, equip their laboratories and other necessary things? do they get funds accrued from crude oil, agriculture, taxes like the state and federal universities? is the Nigerian government responsible for them??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by sarutobie(m): 3:59pm On Sep 21, 2014
sebali:

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by bigtt76(f): 4:07pm On Sep 21, 2014
If 7 out of 10 are through Government's failure, then one would expect the Church where everyone run to for comfort NOT to impinge further on that. Is the church a business venture? No you would answer ....so where do they get their funding from? The people right? Are the poor in the society exempted from tithing or offertory? You may also say ...it has to be from the heart and not compulsion ...BUT i say not with all the stories of prosperity when you give than when you take will it make the poor not to part with his or last penny. Every man wan hammer and if na church go make man hammer ...why not? That's the word on the street

QuiverBox:

7 out of the 10 items you stated has to do with the Failure of the Government.

If you read what he said the key word is "priority"

Sending your ward to a Private University is all about choice.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by olami100(m): 4:08pm On Sep 21, 2014
lacreamieboie: So CU should start charging 25k per session coz its a xtian uni right? do u av an idea about how much it takes to maintain CU, av u got a clue about staffs' salaries?? u guys should at least think before criticizing nah!

oga let me assure you! Even if dey reduce d skool fees to a less considerate amount I tell u, the church will still pay their lecturers, their staff! Let us not decieve ourselves they are only meant for the riches they are not for the poor!! Let me ask u one question!
Where is this man getting all his money from to buy jet not just jet! I mean four jets!! Bro if u know wat it cost to fund a jet u won't come up wif dat! Let me tell u!! All are just decieving us! They are blessing to the riche people!

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by bigtt76(f): 4:11pm On Sep 21, 2014
I disagree with you. I'm try to point it out to the OP that we crying out loud over the costs in private university as against the Bishop's belief that everyone can afford it if only they set their priorities right is wrong .....what on that list can you happily give up to send your ward to a private university if you are an average civil servant with 'clean hands' None ....or is it that the poor in the society must be banished to public schools?

olaeffect:

And all your list that go's on does not affect the university in question abi?

grin you just assisted in helping the Bishop list some of the reasons for the high cost in private universities. Some of this private universities have not experienced power cut for upward of 2 years.
Also remember that unlike ASU it is not government that pay their lecturers and all other staff. It is not easy or cheap to do anything good in Nigeria.
But it will surprise you that Federal universities maybe more expensive if they are to be self sustaining.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Olusanya333(m): 4:12pm On Sep 21, 2014
All i know is Christ is coming back again.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2014
Gigadot1: The missionaries brought medical and free education to our people which most of our pastors and elder enjoyed but today our pastors and leaders can not provide the same opportunities they enjoyed instead they are leveraging on such privileges to milk other.

Actually, the missionaries were able to bring us free education because of generous donations from rich and poor Christians in their home countries.(One missionary who set up one of Nigeria's first Christian presses was funded by a very wealthy Chrstian businessman among others).

Also, one still had to pay fees...the schools were not necessarily free. And most of the schools were not at the level of universities (Many were secondary schools and primary schools).

Also, the number of students who entered such schools was not as high as it is today.

I am not defending Oyedepo...I even regard his doctrine as not in tune with Scripture...but on the issue of University education, he is right. Universities cost a lot of money. And since Govt is not sponsoring him...or even paying the salaries of his staff...he has to charge high fees.

After all, atheists like Afe Babalola charge high fees for their campuses. They(Oyedepo and Babalola) do not have the money to run their universities for free.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by sarutobie(m): 4:15pm On Sep 21, 2014
bigtt76: I disagree with you. I'm try to point it out to the OP that we crying out loud over the costs in private university as against the Bishop's belief that everyone can afford it if only they set their priorities right is wrong .....what on that list can you happily give up to send your ward to a private university if you are an average civil servant with 'clean hands' None ....or is it that the poor in the society must be banished to public schools?

ermm about your last question, are you saying the public schools offer less education than the private ones? even when the public universities are funded by the government?
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by QuiverBox(f): 4:18pm On Sep 21, 2014
bigtt76: If 7 out of 10 are through Government's failure, then one would expect the Church where everyone run to for comfort NOT to impinge further on that. Is the church a business venture? No you would answer ....so where do they get their funding from? The people right? Are the poor in the society exempted from tithing or offertory? You may also say ...it has to be from the heart and not compulsion ...BUT i say not with all the stories of prosperity when you give than when you take will it make the poor not to part with his or last penny. Every man wan hammer and if na church go make man hammer ...why not? That's the word on the street

Are you forced to give offering or to give tithe, are you forced to send your children to Private University?

Contentment Is the Key, Cut your Coat according to Cloth.

If that's the word on the street, why have you not opened your own Church to Hammer?

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 21, 2014
cole265:

Now that the school is built, (with members tithe and offering) it should be made affordable to at least most of its members.
Now, they should be thinking of building hospitals too because the church has the were with all to do so. Moreover, this is what the church teaches-charity. Private individuals who gets no donation do this and more.

Charity unfortuantely comes with limits.

Now, the problem is a university is not like a secondary school where you sit down and get your degree after four years. A universiity exists to do research, to train students for the job market, and so on....and all that needs cash.

Only Govt can afford the amount of cash needed to subsidise school fees. Private individuals are not the government. Even Oyedepo's church's income can never reach what the Govt spends on education.

It is tough....but the problem is you want world class universities....you have to pay world class fees. I went to a private primary school...where my parents paid five times the amount they would have paid at a government school (and it was not like they had the money...both of them were university lecturers...and this was back in the day when lecturers got paid worthless salaries). But we their children got a good foundation educationally.

4 Likes

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Mudley313: 4:21pm On Sep 21, 2014
Sopino: .God bless u. Members of these churches contributed to d realizing of d universities but could not afford to attending it.

It's like paying tax (tithe/offering) but being unable to afford to drive on government built roads, medical care in government hospitals, public education system etc because they're priced so high...when these things should be free or close to free off of your contributions; how would you rate the efficiency of such a government? and christianity (unlike government) is supposed to be based off of charity works now this thief is talking bout people spending a million on burial and sending their kids abroad as if the poor/less fortunate do not exist in a country where people live on less than $1 per day...smh...na wah for the way religion has turned nigerians to complete buffoons
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Kelly32: 4:24pm On Sep 21, 2014
when it comes to this game of right or wrong I prefer to keep my opinion to myself. One thing is for sure, Nigerians are only realizing the challenges and responsibilities of a market lead economy. In such a scenario, things including education are expensive. Its unfortunate that corruption has lead to the failure of the public sector, but the problem is Nigerians don't seem to understand this. Our Government in Nigeria cannot give us the quality of education we need in this contemporary world. Thus the private sector must come in.

Now Lets face it, it costs a lot to run a private university. When you factor the cost of acquiring the premises, the building structures, the equipment's necessary for a conducive learning environment, and all this must meet contemporary educational standards (in other to keep the school competitive) not to talk of the cost of staffing such a university with professionals (both locally and internationally), you will agree with me that for a private individual the cost is gigantic.

I know its hard, but we loss so much on corruption and on careless living. I heard that we spent billions every year just to buying human hair. We must all brace up, the market economy is not easy but it will help in reducing corruption and bring us the much needed development we need.
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Mudley313: 4:25pm On Sep 21, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Now, the problem is a university is not like a secondary school where you sit down and get your degree after four years. A universiity exists to do research, to train students for the job market, and so on....and all that needs cash.

Only Govt can afford the amount of cash needed to subsidise school fees. Private individuals are not the government. Even Oyedepo's church's income can never reach what the Govt spends on education.

It is tough....but the problem is you want world class universities....you have to pay world class fees. I went to a private primary school...where my parents paid five times the amount they would have paid at a government school (and it was not like they had the money...both of them were university lecturers...and this was back in the day when lecturers got paid worthless salaries). But we their children got a good foundation educationally.

you forgot the part where it was the blood, sweat, and hard earned cash of most of the members who cannot afford to attend that was used to build the school...they're actually the real owners of the school cos it was their contribution, no matter how small, that was used to build the school
Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by cole265(m): 4:25pm On Sep 21, 2014
PERFECT2:
I doubt if u'll ever be rich. Say the truth,i'm not the first 2 tell u this,abi?

If your definition of being rich or wealthy is the ability to oppress the not so able and make them feel even less, (for no forth of theirs) then, I don't want to be rich and I will never be wealthy.

But true wealth is the ability to touch lives positively, spending your resources to give people opportunities to rise. By this definition, by God's grace, am already wealthy. Am praying for you.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Mudley313: 4:27pm On Sep 21, 2014
Kelly32: when it comes to this game of right or wrong I prefer to keep my opinion to myself. One thing is for sure, Nigerians are only realizing the challenges and responsibilities of a market lead economy. In such a scenario, things including education are expensive. Its unfortunate that corruption has lead to the failure of the public sector, but the problem is Nigerians don't seem to understand this. Our Government in Nigeria cannot give us the quality of education we need in this contemporary world. Thus the private sector must come in.

Now Lets face it, it costs a lot to run a private university. When you factor the cost of acquiring the premises, the building structures, the equipment's necessary for a conducive learning environment, and all this must meet contemporary educational standards (in other to keep the school competitive) not to talk of the cost of staffing such a university with professionals (both locally and internationally), you will agree with me that for a private individual the cost is gigantic.

I know its hard, but we loss so much on corruption and on careless living. I heard that we spent billions every year just to buying human hair. We must all brace up, the market economy is not easy but it will help in reducing corruption and bring us the much needed development we need.

sharrap there and quit trying to defend obvious fraudsters feeding off the gullible

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by sarutobie(m): 4:30pm On Sep 21, 2014
bushdoc9919:

THIS^....I just don't get the 'Nigerian logic'..the government accrue billions of naira from oil exploration, agriculture, taxes etc..then they fund university A with billions of naira worth of equipment, buildings, salaries and other logistics, this is coupled with the revenue they generate through school fees, pre-degree and post degree programs etc..on the other hand, university B gets nada, zilch from the government but you still want them to offer quality education like university A and not only that, they should charge fees at almost the same price with university A...how logical is that I ask again..

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 21, 2014
sebali:

So how do you expect them to do it?

By charging unrealistic fees so that the poor can get a poor university education because there isn't enough funds for the facilities needed for the university to be world class.

I hate to say this...but the issue is that you Nigerians think that if you do not have a university degree you are nobody.

The sad thing about most private schools is that they have no extra sources of funding. The govt does not give them cash to run their schools. So, unfortunately, they cannot afford to subsidize fees for their students.

Sad, but that is the cold reality.

The thing is, universities are very expensive to run. And Oyedepo,in setting up his university...has to fund things like research grants, salaries of staff (which have to be at par with Public University salaries, or else the lecturers walk), hostel facilities, LABS,libraries, power, etc. And he has to do all that without government funding.

Universities don't come cheap. And Oyedepo is not the government.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo Defends Fees Charged By Private Universities by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 21, 2014
Mudley313:

you forgot the part where it was the blood, sweat, and hard earned cash of most of the members who cannot afford to attend that was used to build the school...they're actually the real owners of the school cos it was their contribution, no matter how small, that was used to build the school

Good so they should all attend the school for free....

And where would the money come for things like expansion, salaries , hiring new staff, power , etc.

Running a university is not like magic you know....it costs money. Sad....but true.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

ODUA Investment 2013 SCHOLARSHIP Awards / Waec 2012/2013 : Yet Another Mass Failure Recorded- Here Is The ... / UNN Students Punished, For Not Wearing Departmental Uniform (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.