Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? (9329 Views)

The Culture Of Wedding Ring And Its Meaning In Nigeria / She Doesn't Wear Her Wedding Ring Cos Her Husband Removed His Own / Moderators Why Did You Remove My Second Topic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by Seun(m): 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2005
Hello,

Perhaps there are some married men or women who sometimes remove their wedding rings at work or during outings. My questions are:
- When and where do you remove the ring?
- Why do you do it?
- Does your husband/wife know about this?

My questions for others are:
- What do you think about this practice?
- Under what circumstances would you feel it's ok?

Thanks,
Seun.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by exu(m): 12:47pm On Sep 22, 2005
If for some reason you feel that a finger could become trapped, then yes, it makes sense to remove a ring...

Or if you're worried that the ring itself could be damaged in some way...
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by vexxy(f): 1:58pm On Sep 22, 2005
I have a friend who removes her ring whenever she goes out late or alone. The diamond is so big that she's afraid that she'll get robbed for it.

My brother removes his ring when he's at work. He's an automechanic and doesn't want to get his hand trapped anywhere.

One of the attorneys I work for removes his ring whenever we are in court. He doesn't want the guys he's prosecuted to know he's married or has a family. Safety issues.

I am in favor of removal of the ring if:

It poses as a security or safety issue.

But then I know of a guy who removes his ring when he goes out with his buddies. He's trying to see if he "still has it with the ladies."

I am not in favor of removal of the ring if:

You are trying to look "available."

V

2 Likes

Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by gina34(f): 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2005
Good point vexxy. wink
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by Scorpio(f): 3:43pm On Sep 22, 2005
Seun:

- When and where do you remove the ring?
- Why do you do it?
- Does your husband/wife know about this?

My questions for others are:
- What do you think about this practice?
- Under what circumstances would you feel it's ok?

So far i only know of two people that actually take of their rings and their spouses are cool with it. that'll be my dad and my aunt. It's mostly because of their job and most of the time, it requires that the ring(s) should be taken off for safety purposes. If it has to do with the job one does, i don't see anything wrong with it.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by fdrinks(m): 12:35pm On Sep 23, 2005
Married as i was, i have stopped using my ring two months after my wedding!. My wife knows about this, and the simple truth is that i don't like it.

Not until i go about with a mark all arround the world before i proved decent.  Although, research showed 34.0% majority of men remove their ring at intervals, while another 7.0% remove it permernently with time.

On the other hand, just 13.0% of female removes their ring, while more than 30.0% of them buy and wear wedding ring despite notting getting married legally. (Churches, mosques or govt. registry ).

Removing ring by men, particularly at parties or location outside their spouse range may be a corrective measure for confounding factors between been married and chances of getting new female friends. There is a significant association between these two variables.

In fact, there is a 95% Confidence  that a lady will naturally let out her true mind to a new man when there is no sign of him been married.

Men who are however bent on getting them tend to save themselves of this interaction and thus control for the effect of their married status-hide weeding ring!
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by eveseh(f): 8:08pm On Apr 28, 2006
hmm,bad
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by bolex(m): 12:30am On Apr 29, 2006
fdrinks:

Married as i was, i have stopped using my ring two months after my wedding!. My wife knows about this, and the simple truth is that i don't like it.

Not until i go about with a mark all arround the world before i proved decent. Although, research showed 34.0% majority of men remove their ring at intervals, while another 7.0% remove it permernently with time.

On the other hand, just 13.0% of female removes their ring, while more than 30.0% of them buy and wear wedding ring despite notting getting married legally. (Churches, mosques or govt. registry ).

Removing ring by men, particularly at parties or location outside their spouse range may be a corrective measure for confounding factors between been married and chances of getting new female friends. There is a significant association between these two variables.

In fact, there is a 95% Confidence that a lady will naturally let out her true mind to a new man when there is no sign of him been married.

Men who are however bent on getting them tend to save themselves of this interaction and thus control for the effect of their married status-hide weeding ring!

Everything wey you yarn for there na DUST

O boi , rethink

grin
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by Rhodalyn(f): 12:31am On Apr 29, 2006
dat is such a silly tin to do!!!!!!!!
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by okie(m): 5:37am On Apr 29, 2006
To me, i beleive everything about life is not that all perfect. Taking off your ring in public to me is not a good idea because when you wore that ring or should i say took that oat of for better for worse, everything was done in public except you have a skeleton in your cupboard, but if it poses a security threat to your marriage then it is allowed because a lot of us think about what the future holds for their marriage, am not married yet but i know and believe that the future is nothing other than another today, the only difference is that when you get to that future, you find out that you have more of yesterdays and fewer tomorrows to look forward to and pray that when i marry, there should be not threat to it. except if my job warrant it based on general rules and regulations of the firm.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by bernieman(m): 1:38pm On Apr 29, 2006
I have never removed my wedding ring for once for any outing sake.This is a ring my wife gave to me in public,so why should I pull it because of some certain group of people,not and never will this happen I pray.I Only remove my ring at intervals when am in the gym or when am doing some work which may result in me getting injured with the ring.Other than that,my ring remains on my fourth finger,I sleep and wake up with it,so hassles atall. So there is no reason for anybody to say he his wedding ring because he doesn't like it,that is not true,I guess there is something to it than that.So @ Bolex,try to like it and start wearing your wedding ring because you will not like it if you find out that your wife doesn't wear hers when she is going out.What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by funloving(m): 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2006
I generally don't like jewelleries and that include wedding rings. If I can get married without a ring I will do so, it but if for the sake of the wedding ceremony I have to wear a ring I will certainly take it off as soon as the ceremony is over.

Members of Deeper Life Church do not wear wedding rings.That does not make them unfaithful to their spouses.In fact,they are quite faithful.( I am not a Deeper Life Chruch member o !  grin )

In conclusion, I hope not to wear a wedding ring even when I am married. My wife can wear hers' if she so desires but I won't be bothered,in fact will be glad,if she choses not to wear the ring
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by Idekeson(m): 8:11pm On Apr 30, 2006
vexxy:

I am in favor of removal of the ring if:

It poses as a security or safety issue.

eg. Fatal attraction
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by bolex(m): 2:29am On May 01, 2006
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

If you all know the importance of a wedding ring

You would learn to shush

I will wear mine with pride & honour and flash it around to evryone who wanna see

What are you all on about

I mean

grin

smiley

Ma wedding ring is gonna be one of the best trasures I have in the world

The very best

cool
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by nike4luv(f): 3:27am On May 01, 2006
mhm

will only take it off at work or when cooking or sumn like that undecided
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by dominobaby(f): 5:33pm On May 01, 2006
Wen i was much younger, i neva liked rings n was like, y da heck do u have to wear one after ur wedding, n i sorta concluded i wouldn't wear one! But nw, nt like i grace al fingers wit it, i've kinda softened my opinion.
My broda's friend who is married is 'offended' my broda isnt puttn him on da gmen's list 4 his(my brother's) wedding, my broda's excuse being dat he's married but he is like, if it means taking off his ring, he will !!
Ds is a gud reason, and also some vexxy stated earlier, but me thinks, for d men wu do dat al to look accepted to da babes, it aint healthy.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by O4real(m): 7:28pm On May 01, 2006
@dominobaby
dominobaby:

Wen i was much younger, i never liked rings n was like, y da heck do u have to wear one after your wedding, n i sorta concluded i wouldn't wear one! But nw, nt like i grace al fingers wit it, i've kind of softened my opinion.
My brother's friend who is married is 'offended' my brother isnt puttn him on da gmen's list 4 his(my brother's) wedding, my brother's excuse being that he's married but he is like, if it means taking off his ring, he will !!
Ds is a good reason, and also some vexxy stated earlier, but me thinks, for d men wu do that al to look accepted to da babes, it aint healthy.
Are u speaking latin? Pls give us a break and be more explicit.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by Nobody: 11:44am On May 02, 2006
as for me i hate rings, in fact jewerry in general. feel so uncomfortable. i think i'd only wear my wedding ring at my wedding and if im out with my wife. ring or no ring i love her and would do nothing to hurt her.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by SamCharles(m): 6:12pm On May 03, 2006
I've seen married ladies take off their rings.
Not that i saw them physically take it off, but
you'll notice the mark the ring left on their finger.
This i noticed during some wedings i attended.

Some of my guys i've seen take it off are unfaithful
to their spouses.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by dominobaby(f): 7:07pm On May 03, 2006
@ o4real, wasn't speaking latin, i bet some other people would understand.pls bear with me.
What i was trying to say summarily, was that there r some acceptable reasons why one would do so, and i cited an example of a married guy who wants to be among his friend's groomsmen(gmen) even if it meant removing his ring.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by IAH(f): 7:18pm On May 03, 2006
My Dad doesn't wear his wedding ring and I don't like that. angry When I asked him why, he said he doesn't like to wear jewellries. angry If I were my Mum, I wouldn't want to understand. Haba, it doesn't hurt to wear a single ring now.

SamCharles:

Lol, you can't tell if it's a wedding ring by the mark left on their finger. It's not necessarily a wedding ring. I know people who are single (never married) and wear rings on about 4 to 6 out of 10 fingers.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by rikkyjen(m): 11:45pm On May 03, 2006
I know of an uncle who got married and lost his ring a week later!!!
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by SamCharles(m): 3:54pm On May 04, 2006
Quote from: SamCharles on Yesterday at 06:12:20 PM

Quote from IAH

Lol, you can't tell if it's a wedding ring by the mark left on their finger. It's not necessarily a wedding ring. I know people who are single (never married) and wear rings on about 4 to 6 out of 10 fingers.

You know you can tell a distinct mark impressed on the finger called the "marriage finger". I'm not talking of two, three or four marks on different fingers.

Forgive me if my quote doesn't come out right. I really don't know how to do it. I tried my best. Lol.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by O4real(m): 2:52pm On May 05, 2006
dominobaby:

@ o4real, wasn't speaking latin, i bet some other people would understand.please bear with me.
What i was trying to say summarily, was that there r some acceptable reasons why one would do so, and i cited an example of a married guy who wants to be among his friend's groomsmen(gmen) even if it meant removing his ring.
ok i get it now.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by dominobaby(f): 3:13pm On May 05, 2006
@ o4real
aight, so long!
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by O4real(m): 6:26pm On May 05, 2006
no probs!
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by eveseh(f): 8:09pm On May 05, 2006
am not marry yet,but if i was marry i wont,maybe sometimes undecided
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by debsy(f): 1:38pm On May 06, 2006
when u are loaded as in pregnant and your fingers get to swell up then the band gets to tight.If he understands he'll let u slip it off,knowing u'll put it right back on afterwards.afterall the big tummy is enof evidence.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by Badman888(m): 11:07pm On May 06, 2006
When am married it would be hard 4 me to keep my ring on ooo, i hope my wife wont vekse i find it hard in wearing jewerly at all, all i can put on is a wrist watch
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by nobledanie(m): 5:24pm On May 10, 2006
wedding ring is a symbol of commitment forever. I wonder why some guys say that they don't like putting on their wedding ring. I for one I am gonna put on my ring 24/7 I really do not care about anyone's feeling. If I go out I will approach anyone even with the ring cos i wouldn't approach ladies with oterior motive. In all sincerity, lets be real in everything we do. WE ARE MARRIED AND WE ARE MARRIED IT CAN"T BE CHANGED. UR WEDDING RING IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by bluehorizo(m): 3:48pm On Apr 25, 2008
I have never done it before and will never do it. I like to flash it to those chicks to know that i belong to someone.
Re: You Remove Your Wedding Ring in Public, Sometimes? by algood(f): 5:57pm On Apr 25, 2008
i understand the symbol of weding ring, but that doesnt guarantee fairness in marriage .

Does it?

well i dont like jewelries, i try as much to wear my wedding ring but most times it itches me.

so i stop using it.

There are some churches which dont use the ring at all.

what do u say about those ones.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To BEAT Your Wife. / Zoe Rogers Gwynedd Death - Family Mourn 19 Year Old Missing Girl / Whose right is it to choose the Wedding location?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.