Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry (44786 Views)

14 Signs You’re Not Drinking Enough Water / 10 Things You Eat That Destroys Your Teeth And How To Deal With Them. / Men: Experts Say You’re Overweight If You Can’t See Your Joystick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Sunnycliff(m): 6:40am On Sep 22, 2014
Anger rests in d bossom of fools

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 22, 2014
Toybreezy: [s]Getting into a heated argument doesn’t just put you in a bad mood. It can also compromise your ability to perform everyday tasks—like driving—in ways that could be dangerous for you or the people around you. Here, top experts discuss what you should never do when under the influence of anger, with tips for regaining your composure.

1)You shouldn’t sleep on it
The saying “never go to bed angry” is valid advice. Going to sleep may reinforce or “preserve” negative emotions, suggests a study in the Journal of Neuroscience, which found that sleep enhances memories, particularly emotional ones. “We are learning that sleep seems to help us process and consolidate information we acquire while we are awake,” says Allen Towfigh, MD, a New York City-based board certified sleep medicine doctor and neurologist. So going to bed after an argument will likely cause that experience to be consolidated more effectively than if you went on to remain awake for that same eight-hour period, says Dr. Towfigh.

2)You shouldn’t drive
Operating a motor vehicle when you’re enraged can be dangerous. Research shows that angry drivers take more risks and have more accidents. “When you’re angry, you’re primed for attack, so it’s not a good time to jump in a vehicle,” says David Narang, PhD, a clinical psychologist in Santa Monica, Calif. “In addition, anger gives a person tunnel vision—you stare straight ahead and may not see a pedestrian or another car coming into your peripheral vision crossing the street.” If you must drive when angry, Narang suggests opening your eyes purposefully and looking around you to avoid tunnel vision.

3)You shouldn’t vent
Getting anger off your chest sounds like a good idea, but it may actually make matters worse. In fact, people who simply spent five minutes reading another person’s online rants became angrier and less happy in a study published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking. An earlier study also showed that venting anger by hitting pillows not only increased anger at that moment but made aggressive behavior more likely in the future. “They feel validated in what they’re saying by venting,” says Narang, “but they’re not less angry

4)You shouldn’t eat
Soothing your anger by reaching for food can backfire in a couple of ways, says Kathy Gruver, PhD, author ofConquer Your Stress With Mind/Body Techniques. “When we are angry, we often make unhealthy food choices,” she says. “No one ever reaches for broccoli. We go for the high-sugar, high-fat, carbohydrate-loaded comfort foods.” In addition, a heightened state of emotions sparks the fight or flight response, where the body thinks it’s in danger. In such a state, digestion takes a backseat to the “emergency” at hand and does not function optimally, says Gruver. This may result in diarrhea or constipation.

5)You shouldn’t keep arguing
Staying in the conversation when you have difficulty modulating your anger makes it likely you’ll say things you’ll regret, says Christine M. Allen, PhD, psychologist and coach from Syracuse, NY. “If it’s possible you will say hurtful things that you’ll regret and can’t take back, ask for a ‘time out’ with intention to come back to the conversation,” she suggests. You may need 10 minutes or 10 days. “It’s the willingness to come back to the conversation and initiate that is key,” Allen says. Use the time out to actively calm the mind and the body so that you express yourself in a more mindful, intentional manner.

6)You shouldn’t post about your conflict on Facebook
When you’re angry, broadcasting your feelings to your friends and family on Facebook and other social networks will more than likely come back to haunt you, says Narang. “Posting something publicly can’t be taken back,” he says.

7)You shouldn’t drink alcohol
Reaching for a glass of wine to calm yourself down after an angry encounter often does the opposite, says Narang. “Alcohol makes it more likely you’ll act out your anger because it removes impulse control.” Alcohol lowers inhibitions by acting on the frontal lobes of the brain, which are responsible for controlling the impulses that prevent us from giving in to urges to harm others or ourselves. “This may lead to more permanent destruction by doing things you’ll regret, all from a temporary emotion,” says Narang.

coolYou shouldn’t ruminate
Obsessively thinking about ways the other person harmed you or was unfair to you—known as rumination—does not resolve anything, says Allen. If you find yourself on the receiving end of someone else’s anger, you may be able to calm them down by first keeping your own cool, says Narang. Start out talking to the angry person in a manner that matches his or her level of emotion and then gradually become calmer and steadier as you speak to them. “This leads them to a calmer place,” says Narang.
[/s]
This originaly appeared on health.con
Rubbish!
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by daben1(m): 6:43am On Sep 22, 2014
I no gree with that number 4 at all, i must eat even if person die
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by aboyaji(m): 6:43am On Sep 22, 2014
I always pray over it. And when I do, that would be all.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by SirHouloo(m): 6:47am On Sep 22, 2014
Even the post is getting me angry because it has failed to profer any tangible solution.... So, I no dey talk.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Shollay20(m): 6:47am On Sep 22, 2014
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by lexrichy(m): 6:49am On Sep 22, 2014
When you're angry just watch family guy or tom and Jerry.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 22, 2014
If u are angry just listen to good music.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by arvinsloane(m): 6:55am On Sep 22, 2014
danaiks: .
You are busted!
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by ife4luv21(m): 6:59am On Sep 22, 2014
am a stammerer ... so when am angry I don't talk .... buh nah dt time I deh eat pass
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 22, 2014
Nice one op. Another thing is to try not to talk cus u tend to say things u'll later regret saying wen u're more calm. Mine is even funny, cus wen angry and I try to talk, I will start crying, so av learnt to just keep quiet

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Samneer: 7:07am On Sep 22, 2014
Don't even try to talk at all, cos if you do, you might spit out the deepest secrets

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by vizboy(m): 7:14am On Sep 22, 2014
so what are we na suppose to do when we are angry
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by sambisa5: 7:17am On Sep 22, 2014
SafetyFirst: THIS ROAD IS NOT FOR SALE

please,,,i want to buy name your price....
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by perfectcrush(m): 7:18am On Sep 22, 2014
Most importantly, never make decisions

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by lawrenceunaa: 7:19am On Sep 22, 2014
op post ways to calm down when angry tongue
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by mrarranger: 7:20am On Sep 22, 2014
So what should we do
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by virginboy1(m): 7:20am On Sep 22, 2014
I simply hit the gym or do about 50 press ups.
Helps physically and calms my nerves
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by emmabest2000(m): 7:26am On Sep 22, 2014
temigracie: ...hmmmmm....Interesting.....

what's interesting about this post
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by skillzbae(f): 7:32am On Sep 22, 2014
dlex21: I rarely get angry... And if I do, 10mins is too much to forget about what made me angry...

Life is too short to worry about unnecessary things
1millon likes. Seriously, wats in this world to get too angry for? Wen angry i dnt talk, i jux keep breathing deeply for ten minutes, after dat i can tel u i dnt like wat u did, if u wanna continue arguing or annoying me, i go jux dey watch u like horror film
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Nobody: 7:34am On Sep 22, 2014
messpero90: If u are angry just listen to good music.
I totally agree wit u ... It makes u calmer & theres equally d possibility of u forgetting dat u were once angry bfr
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by priscaoge(f): 7:37am On Sep 22, 2014
I may agree with all but that No4 is not possiblecheesycheesy
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Temihatz(m): 7:40am On Sep 22, 2014
Mrval20: 8. My mum taught me not to post letters or send emails and text messages when I'm angry; especially to the person who put me in the state.

Here's what works for me - Playing an action game helps to calm me down when I'm angry. The game characters are the ones that feel the heat. Lol. Just try it.

Hahahaha, that game stuff worked, yesterday (b4 I read dis post) I killed one of the boss av bin urging to kill for a very long time now within 30 sec. If the guy fit talk, he go beg me not to dey go angry again.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by olulove(m): 7:47am On Sep 22, 2014
Toybreezy: Getting into a heated argument doesn’t just put you in a bad mood. It can also compromise your ability to perform everyday tasks—like driving—in ways that could be dangerous for you or the people around you. Here, top experts discuss what you should never do when under the influence of anger, with tips for regaining your composure.

1)You shouldn’t sleep on it
The saying “never go to bed angry” is valid advice. Going to sleep may reinforce or “preserve” negative emotions, suggests a study in the Journal of Neuroscience, which found that sleep enhances memories, particularly emotional ones. “We are learning that sleep seems to help us process and consolidate information we acquire while we are awake,” says Allen Towfigh, MD, a New York City-based board certified sleep medicine doctor and neurologist. So going to bed after an argument will likely cause that experience to be consolidated more effectively than if you went on to remain awake for that same eight-hour period, says Dr. Towfigh.

2)You shouldn’t drive
Operating a motor vehicle when you’re enraged can be dangerous. Research shows that angry drivers take more risks and have more accidents. “When you’re angry, you’re primed for attack, so it’s not a good time to jump in a vehicle,” says David Narang, PhD, a clinical psychologist in Santa Monica, Calif. “In addition, anger gives a person tunnel vision—you stare straight ahead and may not see a pedestrian or another car coming into your peripheral vision crossing the street.” If you must drive when angry, Narang suggests opening your eyes purposefully and looking around you to avoid tunnel vision.

3)You shouldn’t vent
Getting anger off your chest sounds like a good idea, but it may actually make matters worse. In fact, people who simply spent five minutes reading another person’s online rants became angrier and less happy in a study published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking. An earlier study also showed that venting anger by hitting pillows not only increased anger at that moment but made aggressive behavior more likely in the future. “They feel validated in what they’re saying by venting,” says Narang, “but they’re not less angry

4)You shouldn’t eat
Soothing your anger by reaching for food can backfire in a couple of ways, says Kathy Gruver, PhD, author ofConquer Your Stress With Mind/Body Techniques. “When we are angry, we often make unhealthy food choices,” she says. “No one ever reaches for broccoli. We go for the high-sugar, high-fat, carbohydrate-loaded comfort foods.” In addition, a heightened state of emotions sparks the fight or flight response, where the body thinks it’s in danger. In such a state, digestion takes a backseat to the “emergency” at hand and does not function optimally, says Gruver. This may result in diarrhea or constipation.

5)You shouldn’t keep arguing
Staying in the conversation when you have difficulty modulating your anger makes it likely you’ll say things you’ll regret, says Christine M. Allen, PhD, psychologist and coach from Syracuse, NY. “If it’s possible you will say hurtful things that you’ll regret and can’t take back, ask for a ‘time out’ with intention to come back to the conversation,” she suggests. You may need 10 minutes or 10 days. “It’s the willingness to come back to the conversation and initiate that is key,” Allen says. Use the time out to actively calm the mind and the body so that you express yourself in a more mindful, intentional manner.

6)You shouldn’t post about your conflict on Facebook
When you’re angry, broadcasting your feelings to your friends and family on Facebook and other social networks will more than likely come back to haunt you, says Narang. “Posting something publicly can’t be taken back,” he says.

7)You shouldn’t drink alcohol
Reaching for a glass of wine to calm yourself down after an angry encounter often does the opposite, says Narang. “Alcohol makes it more likely you’ll act out your anger because it removes impulse control.” Alcohol lowers inhibitions by acting on the frontal lobes of the brain, which are responsible for controlling the impulses that prevent us from giving in to urges to harm others or ourselves. “This may lead to more permanent destruction by doing things you’ll regret, all from a temporary emotion,” says Narang.

coolYou shouldn’t ruminate
Obsessively thinking about ways the other person harmed you or was unfair to you—known as rumination—does not resolve anything, says Allen. If you find yourself on the receiving end of someone else’s anger, you may be able to calm them down by first keeping your own cool, says Narang. Start out talking to the angry person in a manner that matches his or her level of emotion and then gradually become calmer and steadier as you speak to them. “This leads them to a calmer place,” says Narang.

This originaly appeared on health.con

just broke rule #6...but my friends and family comments actually brought smiles to ma face...so no more anger
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Harrybanty(m): 7:49am On Sep 22, 2014
kilokeys: wetin i go come do?... jump inside well?

most of d points above are actually tension relievers..

mtcheew.. if i vex na.. u go hear whhhiiiiin
Typical Nigerian man.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by maingwaest(f): 7:54am On Sep 22, 2014
Tymax: See as you just tied my arms. So what should we do? angry
. Indulging in any sport @ dt particular moment ll do. Eg table tennis. Works wonder for me.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by kilokeys(m): 7:55am On Sep 22, 2014
Harrybanty: Typical Nigerian man.
fake nigerian boy
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by mooremedia: 7:56am On Sep 22, 2014
dkronicle: 8. You should not bang someone's daughter also because u can scatter d vJ wall.
Badt Guy
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by prowlG: 8:09am On Sep 22, 2014
Just pretend as if you are not angry.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by dlex21(m): 8:14am On Sep 22, 2014
skillzbae: 1millon likes. Seriously, wats in this world to get too angry for? Wen angry i dnt talk, i jux keep breathing deeply for ten minutes, after dat i can tel u i dnt like wat u did, if u wanna continue arguing or annoying me, i go jux dey watch u like horror film
Shikena... Life goes on... People make both acceptable and unacceptable mistakes...it's all part of human nature

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Young Bowen University Lecturer Dies 2 Days After Giving Birth (pics) / COVID-19: The Scramble To Save Femi Odekunle’s Life Yielded 170 Oxygen Cylinders / Nigerian Woman Who Was Pregnant For 3 Years Finally Gives Birth. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.