Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,444 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry (44774 Views)

14 Signs You’re Not Drinking Enough Water / 10 Things You Eat That Destroys Your Teeth And How To Deal With Them. / Men: Experts Say You’re Overweight If You Can’t See Your Joystick (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Toybreezy: 9:26pm On Sep 21, 2014
Getting into a heated argument doesn’t just put you in a bad mood. It can also compromise your ability to perform everyday tasks—like driving—in ways that could be dangerous for you or the people around you. Here, top experts discuss what you should never do when under the influence of anger, with tips for regaining your composure.

1)You shouldn’t sleep on it
The saying “never go to bed angry” is valid advice. Going to sleep may reinforce or “preserve” negative emotions, suggests a study in the Journal of Neuroscience, which found that sleep enhances memories, particularly emotional ones. “We are learning that sleep seems to help us process and consolidate information we acquire while we are awake,” says Allen Towfigh, MD, a New York City-based board certified sleep medicine doctor and neurologist. So going to bed after an argument will likely cause that experience to be consolidated more effectively than if you went on to remain awake for that same eight-hour period, says Dr. Towfigh.

2)You shouldn’t drive
Operating a motor vehicle when you’re enraged can be dangerous. Research shows that angry drivers take more risks and have more accidents. “When you’re angry, you’re primed for attack, so it’s not a good time to jump in a vehicle,” says David Narang, PhD, a clinical psychologist in Santa Monica, Calif. “In addition, anger gives a person tunnel vision—you stare straight ahead and may not see a pedestrian or another car coming into your peripheral vision crossing the street.” If you must drive when angry, Narang suggests opening your eyes purposefully and looking around you to avoid tunnel vision.

3)You shouldn’t vent
Getting anger off your chest sounds like a good idea, but it may actually make matters worse. In fact, people who simply spent five minutes reading another person’s online rants became angrier and less happy in a study published in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior and Social Networking. An earlier study also showed that venting anger by hitting pillows not only increased anger at that moment but made aggressive behavior more likely in the future. “They feel validated in what they’re saying by venting,” says Narang, “but they’re not less angry

4)You shouldn’t eat
Soothing your anger by reaching for food can backfire in a couple of ways, says Kathy Gruver, PhD, author ofConquer Your Stress With Mind/Body Techniques. “When we are angry, we often make unhealthy food choices,” she says. “No one ever reaches for broccoli. We go for the high-sugar, high-fat, carbohydrate-loaded comfort foods.” In addition, a heightened state of emotions sparks the fight or flight response, where the body thinks it’s in danger. In such a state, digestion takes a backseat to the “emergency” at hand and does not function optimally, says Gruver. This may result in diarrhea or constipation.

5)You shouldn’t keep arguing
Staying in the conversation when you have difficulty modulating your anger makes it likely you’ll say things you’ll regret, says Christine M. Allen, PhD, psychologist and coach from Syracuse, NY. “If it’s possible you will say hurtful things that you’ll regret and can’t take back, ask for a ‘time out’ with intention to come back to the conversation,” she suggests. You may need 10 minutes or 10 days. “It’s the willingness to come back to the conversation and initiate that is key,” Allen says. Use the time out to actively calm the mind and the body so that you express yourself in a more mindful, intentional manner.

6)You shouldn’t post about your conflict on Facebook
When you’re angry, broadcasting your feelings to your friends and family on Facebook and other social networks will more than likely come back to haunt you, says Narang. “Posting something publicly can’t be taken back,” he says.

7)You shouldn’t drink alcohol
Reaching for a glass of wine to calm yourself down after an angry encounter often does the opposite, says Narang. “Alcohol makes it more likely you’ll act out your anger because it removes impulse control.” Alcohol lowers inhibitions by acting on the frontal lobes of the brain, which are responsible for controlling the impulses that prevent us from giving in to urges to harm others or ourselves. “This may lead to more permanent destruction by doing things you’ll regret, all from a temporary emotion,” says Narang.

coolYou shouldn’t ruminate
Obsessively thinking about ways the other person harmed you or was unfair to you—known as rumination—does not resolve anything, says Allen. If you find yourself on the receiving end of someone else’s anger, you may be able to calm them down by first keeping your own cool, says Narang. Start out talking to the angry person in a manner that matches his or her level of emotion and then gradually become calmer and steadier as you speak to them. “This leads them to a calmer place,” says Narang.

This originaly appeared on health.con

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by kilokeys(m): 9:47pm On Sep 21, 2014
wetin i go come do?... jump inside well?

most of d points above are actually tension relievers..

mtcheew.. if i vex now ehn.. u go hear whhhiiiiin

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 21, 2014
...hmmmmm....Interesting.....

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by dkronicle(m): 9:59pm On Sep 21, 2014
8. You should not bang someone's daughter also because u can scatter d vJ wall.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Tymax(m): 10:00pm On Sep 21, 2014
See as you just tied my arms. So what should we do? angry

11 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Mrval20(m): 10:17pm On Sep 21, 2014
8. My mum taught me not to post letters or send emails and text messages when I'm angry; especially to the person who put me in the state.

Here's what works for me - Playing an action game helps to calm me down when I'm angry. The game characters are the ones that feel the heat. Lol. Just try it.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Toybreezy: 2:23am On Sep 22, 2014
Tymax: See as you just tied my arms. So what should we do? angry

When you get angry pick a pen andd note and sttart writing CHILL continously in capital letters. It works write it abour 200 times before u do anything else.if there is no paper count from 100 to 1 #thatsjusthowifeel

7 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by CharlieMaria(m): 6:28am On Sep 22, 2014
OK.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by datguru: 6:28am On Sep 22, 2014
caveat emptor, this space is not for sale, beware of 419ers angry
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by danaiks(m): 6:29am On Sep 22, 2014
We can't keep the anger like that....we have to let it out. Or else it will consume u!! angry

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by SafetyFirst(m): 6:29am On Sep 22, 2014
THIS ROAD IS NOT FOR SALE
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by iceberylin(m): 6:30am On Sep 22, 2014
Ya i'll just kill angry angry

Sensless post
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by constance500: 6:31am On Sep 22, 2014
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by TRADELYN: 6:31am On Sep 22, 2014
grin
Next:
You should not seal a business deal in anger!

Worried of a lucrative business to do?

Let's give you some options ToDaY...FREE grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by eleojo23: 6:31am On Sep 22, 2014
For those asking about what you should do, try the following so that you don't even have to get angry in the first place.

1. Talk Yourself out of being offended
In the heat of the moment, try asking yourself these questions:
“What am I getting so bent out of shape for? Does this really matter? What’s the big deal?” Reason with yourself: “Did he really mean it the way I perceived it? ‘’what is he really trying to say?”
Remember, the reason we usually feel offended/angry is because of the meaning we attach to what is said or done: “That means he really doesn’t care!” “She’s saying I am no good!” “I knew he didn’t really love me!” “She wouldn’t say that if she was …” And so the internal interpretation goes. So simply reframe it. Talk yourself out of the offense. Know that the person is simply expressing his opinion. You will be happier as you learn to talk yourself out of offence.

2. Reserve Judgment, don’t be quick to conclude. Delay your response
Delay judgment until the conversation has run its course. You just may find there is no offense to be had or nothing to be angry about by the time you get to the end.

3: Accept Imperfection

We all have foibles, idiosyncrasies and personality and character flaws. Yours just may be different than mine. So don’t hold on to the imperfections of others so tightly that you strangle yourself in the process!
Part of accepting others’ imperfections is also learning to forgive them their past mistakes (so the current problem isn’t blown out of proportion as an extension of a previous problem unresolved) Remember, people are imperfect. You are imperfect. Life is imperfect.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by LMAyedun(m): 6:32am On Sep 22, 2014
Noted! Nice one Op.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Nobody: 6:33am On Sep 22, 2014
When you are angry bang your head or fist into the wall it helps a lot
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Funniez: 6:34am On Sep 22, 2014
When angry, the first three words that tries to come out øf ur mouth must not be allowed.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by djeezy(m): 6:34am On Sep 22, 2014
Nice post. Also never speak when you're angry or you will make the best speech you will ever regret.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by yinkarh187(m): 6:34am On Sep 22, 2014
really
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Elusive9(f): 6:34am On Sep 22, 2014
Ah yaff hear
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by dlex21(m): 6:34am On Sep 22, 2014
I rarely get angry... And if I do, 10mins is too much to forget about what made me angry...

Life is too short to worry about unnecessary things

6 Likes

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by lonngmann(m): 6:34am On Sep 22, 2014
You shouldn't eat, drink or drive. ..you shouldn't sleep too

so much for getting angry
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Nobody: 6:34am On Sep 22, 2014
When I'm angry,my phone feels the hear,I play games till the battery runs down,and by then I'm calmer.
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by tempest01(m): 6:35am On Sep 22, 2014
I think people are different....but it's best to think over things before taking decisions when angry. I always try to do so cos I never really make right decisions when done hastily when angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Guykhena(m): 6:36am On Sep 22, 2014
Toybreezy:

4)You shouldn’t eat
Soothing your anger by reaching for food can backfire in a couple of ways, says Kathy Gruver, PhD, author ofConquer Your Stress With Mind/Body Techniques. “When we are angry, we often make unhealthy food choices,” she says. “No one ever reaches for broccoli. We go for the high-sugar, high-fat, carbohydrate-loaded comfort foods.” In addition, a heightened state of emotions sparks the fight or flight response, where the body thinks it’s in danger. In such a state, digestion takes a backseat to the “emergency” at hand and does not function optimally, says Gruver. This may result in diarrhea or constipation.

So if you're angry,you should starve then

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by sumtin4sure(m): 6:36am On Sep 22, 2014
OK oooo i hear you....well I will just come nairaland oops! No reading too, OP this pass anger
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Iceking1(m): 6:38am On Sep 22, 2014
KINDLY SPARE SOME TIME AND READ THIS, I KNOW THE INDOMIE GENERATION WILL GET CONFUSED HERE !!!!

*I Miss
those days when we went to school, lined up & the
headmistress & teachers inspect our nails & uniform
& then we match to our classrooms...Yo u Remember na??
*Those days of Nasco Biscuit, Okin Biscuit, disgestive biscuit, coconut biscuit speedy biscuit, Trebor, Iced Colored water tied in nylon which we called "lolly" *The days of Goody- Goody & Pako
Biscuit, kulikuli and dankuya *The days of Ali & Simbi, Mr Salami & Mrs
Salami, Agbo lives in Calabar....Edet is a boy *Those
days when we wear 5shirts and put carton in our
nicker to avoid much pain when we are flogged
*Those days when we sneak out of school to pluck Mangoes *Those days when we feign illness just to
dodge farm work(lol) *Chei, I also remember those
days when one naira na CORRECT money, when
groundnut was 5kobo & Choco Milo Sweet was 5
kobo *Those days of messing game,who is in the
garden, police catch thief, fire on the mountain, etc.. *Those days when we use to build houses with sand, play suwe and king game, tinco tinco,change ur style, ten ten,
skipping, who do u want to marry marry who do u want to marry superdy !.... U remember nah!!! *Those days
when we used do and move boris motor those days wen we used to fly kite on streets, when boys used
to use the paint bucket cover as tire & their daddy's
hanger as the steering *Those days when rubber band was stock exchange!! *Those days when
Votron, Jimbo, Power Rangers and Spider Man were
our favourite cartoons *Those days of Limca and gold spot soft
drinks & Choco Milo advert on black & white TV +
sunday rendevous by 1:30pm *Those days when we
used say 'leke leke give me white finger' *Those days when Eleganza Pen was the best *Those days when
we used to drink water from the tap and even suck
out the water if it's not coming out *Those days
when NTA will show rainbow color for 30 minutes,
then national anthem before they resume program @
4pm *Those days when Basket sandals, Simbi & Bata sandals were the best *Those days we used to shout
"airplane throw bag of money for me" *Those days
when we all sing sandalili sandalili... DSTV has come.
No more old fun.I'm really proud to have
experienced all this. If you are not smiling, it means
you belong to the Indomie generation...

62 Likes 16 Shares

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by PastorOluT(m): 6:38am On Sep 22, 2014
Simply put, u shouldnt live wiith anger 'cos its dangerous to u physically n spiiriitually

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Swagavillage(m): 6:38am On Sep 22, 2014
kai

Naija guy banging 2 Ghana girls and he leaks the video online, download here

READ HERE http://l4u.in/AOPdc
Re: 10 Things You Should Never Do When You’re Angry by Samneer: 6:39am On Sep 22, 2014
I do not quite agree with number 4.
cos it relieves me the most when I'm angry.
whenever I'm angry I eat eat eat and eat nervously, only that way I could be relieve

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Young Bowen University Lecturer Dies 2 Days After Giving Birth (pics) / COVID-19: The Scramble To Save Femi Odekunle’s Life Yielded 170 Oxygen Cylinders / Nigerian Woman Who Was Pregnant For 3 Years Finally Gives Birth. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.