Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' - Travel (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' (62482 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Why You Must Travel! / 'by Force By Force I Must Travel Abroad' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 2:36pm On Dec 09, 2020
Karleb:

Walk in the what?!

Abi I don forget the meaning of that idiom ni? undecided
LMAO grin

See it this way; imagine the skill paving ways for you and then you are being rushed like some classic professional in the health industry even while you work virtually.

I envisioned its benefits before getting started and did even when I got half way. You will suffer, get stuck and it will mess your mind. Just hang on to those beautiful memories where you are being rewarded for your skill. It was my motivation amidst it all.

Today, I don't even think about those times I struggled, closed my laptop in frustration and even left Java script unattended to. It is a walk in the park, anyhow you see am grin

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Kirchoffs: 2:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sanchez01:

Enroll ke? Purely self taught ooo.

With sheer determination and discipline, it is almost like a walk in the park.
Please can I get videos from you sir.....I need help please
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Karleb(m): 2:53pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sanchez01:

LMAO grin

See it this way; imagine the skill paving ways for you and then you are being rushed like some classic professional in the health industry even while you work virtually.

I envisioned its benefits before getting started and did even when I got half way. You will suffer, get stuck and it will mess your mind. Just hang on to those beautiful memories where you are being rewarded for your skill. It was my motivation amidst it all.

Today, I don't even think about those times I struggled, closed my laptop in frustration and even left Java script unattended to. It is a walk in the park, anyhow you see am grin

I agree everything you've said except the WALK IN THE PARK part.

Programing is hard, very hard, difficult but learnable.

Even with the best dedication, discipline and all that anyone learning to program will still 'suffer'.

The world is relatively peaceful now but we once had world war 1 and 2. undecided

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 2:58pm On Dec 09, 2020
Karleb:

I agree everything you've said except the WALK IN THE PARK part.

Programing is hard, very hard, difficult but learnable.

Even with the best dedication, discipline and all that anyone learning to program will still 'suffer'.

The world is relatively peaceful now but we once had world war 1 and 2. undecided
Not all aspects of programming are hard, to be sincere. Some languages won't take you up to two weeks to get the hang of them while some will take like forever.

Nigeria has more Programmers this year than the previous and that is because you can learn several, different languages within a year and you'll only to constantly practice to remain sharp.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 3:00pm On Dec 09, 2020
Kirchoffs:
Please can I get videos from you sir.....I need help please
Videos won't help that much. You need to work alongside as you learn.

Pick any from here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hostinger.com/tutorials/learn-coding-online-for-free/amp/

For me, I started with https://www.freecodecamp.org/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by maternal: 7:16pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sanchez01:

I could ignore and look on while you have a field day with the tomfoolery as usual but feel I should clear the air on this. I AM DIRECTLY NOT AFFECTED BY ANYTHING RIGHT NOW. My angst here is the fact that the rule of engagements and human rights abuse is almost at the level of pure Islamic states across the world.

I have never been affected by the harsh economic policies of this government save I spend more on commodities now. The more the dollar goes up, the higher my earnings when converted to out free falling Naira. Not saying I am there yet. At best, I spend more on certain things than I used to. Not like I owe you this but the fact that you have been hyperventilating and throwing shades at me and about how I am affected is amusing.

Did I join in the protest, yes. Have I been harassed by SARS officials before? Yes. Severally, in fact. Was that why I joined the protest? Definitely not. Would I join another protest should a second wave happen? Hell yes.

Given the power today, I will undo the harsh economic policies that led us all here. It isn't because of me. Even the richest Nigerians of this world are impacted by the misrule of the present administration. I could choose to sleep all day and go out in the evening, it doesn't impact my earnings in the least of ways as it is not tied to a physical office.

What I find disgusting is how you and some persons have been latching on to a post of over 5 years ago which does not in any way reflect the craze of today's Nigeria to label me selfish and self-serving because I suddenly embraced the idea of emigrating. And worse, that you have been embittered by it.

Your ignorance and arrogance on this issue is appalling. You don't even know you're being laughed at. You claim nothing is affecting you, yet you claim the human rights abuse is on the level of an Islamic state. Furthermore, you claim you're worried about your children's future. Baba, YOU ARE BEING AFFECTED, especially mentally. People like you are the enemy of progress. You have never lived in both societies (Naija and the West), yet over 5 years ago you were debating which one is better, discouraging people from going. This is like a virgin telling me how to have sex. People who haven't lived in both societies should keep quiet. What if someone took your nonsense advice and now can't leave naija ? Instead of living a peaceful life in Canada, US, UK, or Australia, they'll be now dealing with SARS, Buhari, a worthless naira, etc because of you. What methods did you even use to forecast that naija will be better in the future ?

Baba, nobody cares about your money. Because when that bullet penetrates you or you pikin, or when you need that emergency treatment, which the hospitals are not able to handle, due to corruption, my brotha, you'll be 6 feet under like every person, rich or poor. You think its poor people leaving naija through the EE ? So you joined the protest and have been harassed by SARS. Yet nothing in this country is directly affecting you ? The richest Nigerians were smart enough to get residency or a passport to a second country just in case. You think Dangote, Adeleke, Femi etc are stuck in naija ? That's the difference between them, and a naïve individual like yourself. Lastly, this your quote is important and I want anyone who's on the fence about migrating to read and internalize this:

"What I find disgusting is how you and some persons have been latching on to a post of over 5 years ago which does not in any way reflect the craze of today's Nigeria to label me selfish and self-serving because I suddenly embraced the idea of emigrating. And worse, that you have been embittered by it"

1. Never take advice from someone who has never lived in both societies. That's naija and the west.

2. NO CONDITION IS PERMANENT. Because you're doing good today, doesn't mean you'll be doing good tomorrow especially if you have children. Money in naija comes and goes. The stability you'll have in the west will last, mixed with a functional society is priceless. This man has money, let he's looking to leave. Let that sink in. Leave if you get a chance. Don't think twice.

8 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by maternal: 7:32pm On Dec 09, 2020
truthsayer009:

When you created this thread, your mind was in a different frame, now things are different & any sensible person would understand. In early 2014 when I returned back to Nigeria from school, I had opportunity to travel back or move to another country for work or internship. I neglected it simply because I didn't see the real difference. Things are different now, dollar was 160 - 170 back in 2014 as far as I remember, luckily got a 200k paying job which was more than $1000 dollars at that time. Big Money, Baby boy life. Spent 80k in the club one time, my babe at back then advised I get a Car & cruise around Lagos knowing Toyota Corolla was 900k then ($4000), thank God I followed my Sister's advice & bought a piece of land instead. Phew!

After a short while every thing went downhill, dollar crashed in mid 2016, Recession hit companies & had to move to a lower paying job, every thing scattered. My new salary was barely $300 because dollar became 500 Naira in 2016 when there was a spike If I remember clearly before later going back to 360, I couldn't save after so much expenses deducted. The government has tried severally to inject money into the Economy, but keeps failing. Speaking of Dollars, as at yesterday GTBank told me that each person could only withdraw $20,000 daily now because of the Injection of dollars into the economy & it's still not helping issues. Before now, GTB completely prevented every Dorm account owner from withdrawing or transferring their own inflow funds.

This is 2020, Foreign reserves is now empty, Now I see every reason I should have left in 2014.

LMAO. Two people who F'd up trying to console each other. You sound like a small pikin sef. Any sensible person would have got the hell out when they had the means and opportunity. But you were popping bottles, nacking babes, forming big boy for club, instead of thinking of your future. Now poverty don catch you, now you see every reason you should have left ? Toto was blinding you during that time abi ? Other than toto, what did you use to forecast naija would be good in the future ? Again, those looking to migrate, learn these two guys F-ups. Don't stay because you're currently making decent money.

6 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Alexandre7: 8:41pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sanchez01:

Not all aspects of programming are hard, to be sincere. Some languages won't take you up to two weeks to get the hang of them while some will take like forever.

Nigeria has more Programmers this year than the previous and that is because you can learn several, different languages within a year and you'll only to constantly practice to remain sharp.

Which programming languages?
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 8:53pm On Dec 09, 2020
Alexandre7:

Which programming languages?
HTML
Python
C
Java (about a month though)

The first three can be picked up within 2 weeks.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Alexandre7: 9:04pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sanchez01:

HTML
Python
C

What about C# & C++

I heard those two are easier since you already know C.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Alexandre7: 9:05pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sanchez01:

HTML
Python
C

Did you pick them up mostly by watching YouTube Videos?
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 9:18pm On Dec 09, 2020
Alexandre7:

Did you pick them up mostly by watching YouTube Videos?
No, not at all. Free code camp offer most of these languages. The way it works with them is simple; they provide some set of instructions which you are expected to interpret by applying what you have learnt. It is a more practicable way of learning to become a programmer.
Alexandre7:

What about C# & C++

I heard those two are easier since you already know C.
C# is a bit difficult to learn. It would take about 2 months to learn its basics and about 5 years to become a guru in it. C++ is insanely difficult. It is a complex language which requires a good memory.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:34pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sanchez01:

HTML
Python
C

Html python and C picked up within 2 weeks. You must be a genius men.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 11:19pm On Dec 09, 2020
maternal:

LMAO. Two people who F'd up trying to console each other. You sound like a small pikin sef. Any sensible person would have got the hell out when they had the means and opportunity. But you were popping bottles, nacking babes, forming big boy for club, instead of thinking of your future. Now poverty don catch you, now you see every reason you should have left ? Toto was blinding you during that time abi ? Other than toto, what did you use to forecast naija would be good in the future ? Again, those looking to migrate, learn these two guys F-ups. Don't stay because you're currently making decent money.

grin grin grin Omo guy, you dey vex oh.

God actually made everything work out for me at the end, If you check my profile you'll see I was in Frankfurt & Berlin exactly this time last year, I stayed for a while then got a well paying job back home, returned for some personal reasons & planned to go back to relocate fully & have kids with blue passport. I actually earn in dollars while living in Nigeria working 9-5 for a Foreign Coy in Texas building mobile apps with React Native & that's why I constantly followup on Dollar inflows into the economy according to my previous post, so I cash out my earnings.

So yes, I realize Nigeria isn't getting an better but It wasn't as bad as this in 2014. You should understand the perspective of the OP & i still maintain I should have moved then, but thank God for his mercies.

PS: I don't regret balling in the club & popping bottles with babes in my earlier years, It was fun while It lasted & there is time for everything so says the book of proverbs.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Raalsalghul: 1:24am On Dec 10, 2020
maternal:

This is a very timely advice for me. embarassed

I'm not going to joke with it, I just pray it works out. embarassed
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by TheEnforcer: 2:05pm On Mar 27, 2021
Nig4Greatness:

Because it's your country first and foremost and you must make it better by been a good citizen irrespective of govt failures.
The fact that it is ones country does not mean one must stay there even if you discharge your duties well.Migration has existed for thousands of years whether the country is good or not and people will continue to do so.Even Americans move to other countries to live just to experience it.So I dont know why one must stay there.Are you living in Nigeria yourself ?No

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Guontey(m): 5:19pm On Sep 05, 2021
Karleb:

Walk in the what?!

Abi I don forget the meaning of that idiom ni? undecided
I looked at the "walk in the park" thing and laughed a little. Sheer determination is not a walk in the park.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Guontey(m): 5:23pm On Sep 05, 2021
Sanchez01:

HTML
Python
C

What really are you learning picking up HTML, Python and C in 2 weeks? Must not be enough. Definitely just the basics. You don't pick up Python and get to "decorators" in 2 weeks. I think you should stop creating the illusion of being smart, while feeding out false information.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by damoceile: 4:31pm On Sep 06, 2021
maternal:

Making it in Nigeria = I'm doing good. Screw everyone.

Government changes my orientation = The naira has gone to sh!t. The Government is killing its people. I'm not as financial stable as I was before. Nigeria's corruption is actually affecting me now.

These people don't care about Nigeria. They only care about themselves, yet they form patriotic. Imagine this goat debating in the barbar shop about why he'd never migrate, while laughing at his people who were saying they'd migrate for their kids. Now he's in the same position. Comical

Everyone of us suppose swear for this bros, imagine years back wen he was balling hard he made traveling abroad sound like a taboo... And now he's in deep shit and he is now looking to japa... I would have prayed he rot in this hell hole of a country and not get visa but I wish him all the very best... All I am happy about is he finally get to eat and lick his vomit grin[color=#990000][/color]
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by damoceile: 4:36pm On Sep 06, 2021
Nig4Greatness:

Because it's your country first and foremost and you must make it better by been a good citizen irrespective of govt failures.

Oga nah nonsense you dey cap upandan, I hope In a few years to come you won't go back to your vomit just like the op of this thread.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Richdee1(m): 9:47am On Sep 07, 2021
MackyNaija you need to go through this thread in your spare time

Men wey dey regret grin
Thank God I have known this as an undergraduate
Make I plan dey Japan joor
Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Winnerrrr(m): 10:24am On Sep 10, 2021
matrixme:

funny how everyone that leaves the shores of Africa goes on to become presidents in their chosen country, while the rest of us that chooses to stay behind, becomes HOD in one "unknown" university, or jostle for other menial jobs. If you obviously believed in destiny, you would know that you don't have to be in the U.K to be O.K (as they always say). These kinds of views are unpatriotic. You are the actual slaves, who jumps on planes to go to white man's land in search of greener pastures. Afterall, every sheep in the west is relishing the green, nutritious grasses!

Do you still have this view?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Nobody: 11:15am On Sep 10, 2021
ISpiksDaTroof:
N800,000 is less than $7000. A 18yr old recently graduated from high school student working at a car lot can earn that in 2-3 months (maybe even in a week if he gets the right commissions) So what the fxuck is your point exactly?

Omo N800,000 is now $1400.

1 Like

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 7:12am On Apr 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

Protest ground oooo. This government changed my orientation just last month. A man is leaving next year.
Not sure if this is necessary but I recall making this post in 2020 and was sure I'd leave the following year, which was 2021. Well, for good reasons, it didn't happen.

The long and short of it is that I am leaving permantly to Salt Lake City, Utah, exactly a week from now. I hope to document the journey somehow. I wouldn't say I am excited and I wouldn't say I am not. To be fair, I'm indifferent, at least for now, largely as a result of a funny mistake I made while booking my flight ticket. Finger's crossed.

3 Likes

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Colb461: 7:22am On Apr 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

Not sure if this is necessary but I recall making this post in 2020 and was sure I'd leave the following year, which was 2021. Well, for good reasons, it didn't happen.

The long and short of it is that I am leaving permantly to Salt Lake City, Utah, exactly a week from now. I hope to document the journey somehow. I wouldn't say I am excited and I wouldn't say I am not. To be fair, I'm indifferent, at least for now, largely as a result of a funny mistake I made while booking my flight ticket. Finger's crossed.
congrats!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Richdee1(m): 6:08pm On Apr 19, 2022
Sanchez01:

Please Tag me when you start the thread

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by Sanchez01: 6:12pm On Apr 19, 2022
Richdee1:

Please Tag me when you start the thread
I will.
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by SuperOnyi: 9:51am On May 01, 2023
pansophist:
Life in Nigeria is hell, do not blame them, blame the society that has made people uncomfortable and very desperate to travel.

shocked

Dang!

This was back in 2014?

This shows Nigeria has never been better but nowadays, it's gotten worst and we are praying to go back to the year, OP submitted his post. ( sad )
Re: On Nigerians And The 'must Travel Mentality' by SuperOnyi: 10:05am On May 01, 2023
BraniacX:
c'mon mehn! But it was reality before the buhari era nau grin

shocked

grin grin angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (Reply)

How Do I Apply For Philippines Visa / Can This Happen At Nigerian Embassies? / 32-yr-old Man Who Pretends To Be 81 Nabbed While Trying To Get Into US (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.